Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-30-2006   #1
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP
Default Bush's Size/Durabilty

First, I'm not here to bash or praise either Bush or Young-just want some thoughts on a couple concerns I have. I'll start by saying I was suprised that Bush only weighs 200lbs, which is light by NFL standards--will that be a problem? All of our current backs were hurt at one time or another last year, and all carry more weight (2 w/less ht-are stocky and one is 6'1 w/more than 40lbs). Bush is 6'0 which means he has a slender frame vs the heavier frame of most of the backs in the NFL--will this translate into injuries?

I think part of the problem with all our backs being injured is the way that Caper's used them with little rotation/substitution, playing the starter-whoever he was-virtually the entire game. IMO, our injury problem may have been lessened had we reduced the load/pounding of one back at a time. I think this would have been a good idea because our 3 main backs all have similar rushing no's and can all catch--blocking is their biggest problem.

I think the fact that Bush obtained his great numbers with so few 'touches' may be a plus and not a minus. An article last year (don't have the sight) talked about a players body can only take so much physical abuse and keep on producing at a high level of play, with the point that 'how much' an RB was used in college is going to affect the quality/length of his NFL career. Cedric Benson, for example, was an every down back at UT and used a lot of the 'gas in his tank,' taking a huge pounding over his college career-will that affect his NFL career? IMO, it already has--

IMO, the way Kubiak uses Bush is the key, which means he is not an every down back--sending his 6'0/200lb slender frame up the middle against a half ton of opposing lineman won't work. However, Busk's forte is 'big play' back and not pounding back, so IMO Kubiak will have to keep that in mind if he drafts bush...again, I was a little suprised by his size-what do you all think?
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006   #2
Frills
Veteran

Kubiak knows a RBBC approach and its just what DD needs to be able to stay healthy a full season for a change
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Just thought id direct you to this thread i started where I went over my thoughts on Bush's size.

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...ad.php?t=18133
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006   #4
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

You know Portis was his size when he came out and was a guy that could hit the corners. Over the last few years he has bulked up and the Skins have tunred him into a power guy. So Bush could get it done if in the right system. However I think that that Kubiak will do what many teams are going to and that is RBBC. It doesn't mean splitting time per se but it does hopefully keep your stuff fresher for years to come.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

the Texans did not win the Bush bowl for nothing
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006   #6
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

he's not going to be running between the tackles 30 times a game. it's not a problem. he hasn't shown any signs of injury yet, so i don't think it'll be a problem
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006   #7
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

Reggie Bush will get a little bigger before his nfl tenure. But you do not want him gaining to much weight and losing his speed and agility, because thats what is special about him.

As for "he wont be able to carry 30 times a game between the tackles"
he didnt do that for USC.

He was still USC's most valuable player.

Hey everyone...Domanick Davis is a good player...

Lendale White=Domanick Davis
let bush be bush... and that estabilishes a potential dominant running game for the texans.
yourfavoritetexan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-31-2006   #8
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

i didn't say he COULDN'T run between the tackles 30 times a game, i said he WON'T
Old 01-31-2006   #9
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

I was wondering, everyone questions Bush's durabilty, but was he ever hurt or injuried in college?
Old 01-31-2006   #10
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavoritetexan42
Reggie Bush will get a little bigger before his nfl tenure. But you do not want him gaining to much weight and losing his speed and agility, because thats what is special about him.

As for "he wont be able to carry 30 times a game between the tackles"
he didnt do that for USC.

He was still USC's most valuable player.

Hey everyone...Domanick Davis is a good player...

Lendale White=Domanick Davis
let bush be bush... and that estabilishes a potential dominant running game for the texans.
While I agree with the top part of your message that ehe doesn't need to gain, I don't think DD and LenDale are close. One is a bruiser and the other is a smaller, quicks guy. DD isn't, however, a franchise back.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006   #11
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67
I was wondering, everyone questions Bush's durabilty, but was he ever hurt or injuried in college?
As far as I'm aware he was never hurt, and from what I've heard LenDale White actually was the one with a few nagging injuries, plus Bush carried the ball more than White (interesting how Bush's durability is frequently questioned but White is apparently a pillar of strength and durability).
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006   #12
eclem5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
the Texans did not win the Bush bowl for nothing
This just in, Sponsers have just bought out the Rights of the Bush Bowl to be known no as the Longhorn Marlin Young Bowl
eclem5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006   #13
eclem5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
As far as I'm aware he was never hurt, and from what I've heard LenDale White actually was the one with a few nagging injuries, plus Bush carried the ball more than White (interesting how Bush's durability is frequently questioned but White is apparently a pillar of strength and durability).
White was also the back who ran between the tackles as opposed to around the outside

I do believe White was also the Starter
eclem5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006   #14
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclem5
White was also the back who ran between the tackles as opposed to around the outside

I do believe White was also the Starter
bush didn't run between the tackles because they had white. which is why ronnie brown didn't run on the goalline. they had cadillac. the situations are a lot alike
Old 01-31-2006   #15
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Size = Durability

Okay, I got it.

Fred Taylor (6'1, 234) = Durable RB

Okay, I got it.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006   #16
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Size = Durability

Okay, I got it.

Fred Taylor (6'1, 234) = Durable RB

Okay, I got it.

I love it!!!!!!

Post of the week.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read