Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-29-2006   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Consider the source: McNair not enamored with staff

Remember this is the national enquirer of the internet..consider the source

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Quote:
McNAIR NOT ENAMORED WITH STAFF

A league source tells us that Texans owner Bob McNair isn't thrilled with the assistant coaches hired to date by Gary Kubiak, and that McNair is pushing for a "big name" to run the team's defense.

The problem is that one of the biggest names out there -- former Packers defensive coordinator Jim Bates -- would not be inclined to keep defensive backs coach Jon Hoke, whom McNair personally likes.

No effort has been made to contact the Dolphins for permission to interview co-defensive coordinator Richard Smith, apparently due to McNair's desire to install a heavy hitter. But beyond Bates and former Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell, there aren't many big names available on that side of the ball.

Kubiak meanwhile is trying to lure a guy with head coaching experience to his offensive staff. Kubiak interviewed former Packers head coach Mike Sherman on Friday for the position of offensive line coach and assistant head coach.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #2
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

eh.. id say that is a fairly accurate article (just going by what I assume is happening).. I think the wording is just harsher than it should be.

I wouldnt say that he isnt "enamored" with his staff... just that he probably isnt happy with it as it is and wants to add some more experience and a sure-fire defensive coordinator to make SURE that we get on the right track. Basicly the same way all of us here feel.

I hope we can convince Bates to come. I love Hoke and WANT to keep him... but if not keeping Hoke is an issue with Bates coming.. (and if we like Hoke that much..which I imagine we do.. great coach) then make Hoke an advisor or something until we can put him in a cushy job somewhere. Maybe an HC spot in College. Perhaps he could take the place that our new coach Pariani just left.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #3
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
eh.. id say that is a fairly accurate article (just going by what I assume is happening).. I think the wording is just harsher than it should be.

I wouldnt say that he isnt "enamored" with his staff... just that he probably isnt happy with it as it is and wants to add some more experience and a sure-fire defensive coordinator to make SURE that we get on the right track. Basicly the same way all of us here feel.

I hope we can convince Bates to come. I love Hoke and WANT to keep him... but if not keeping Hoke is an issue with Bates coming.. (and if we like Hoke that much..which I imagine we do.. great coach) then make Hoke an advisor or something until we can put him in a cushy job somewhere. Maybe an HC spot in College. Perhaps he could take the place that our new coach Pariani just left.
Was an OC in college and Hoke coaches DB, so I don't think that would work.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

ahhhh..I thought Pariani was the HC at that college.. my mistake.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #5
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess Hoke himself is not ready to be considered for a DC job ? That
kind of promotion is probably made impracticle when the new HC coming in is
himself moving up to HC from a coordinator position for the first time.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #6
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

hehe . . . I liked this.
Quote:
Fourth, Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler is rocketing up the board. And Cutler is regarded as having the ideal temperament and heart for pro football. Cutler made his mark on a college team without a collection of first-day draft picks on both sides of the ball. Cutler eschewed offers to play safety at other schools because he knew he could be a successful quarterback.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #7
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Wouldn't, and shouldn't, this have come up during the hiring process?

I mean if McNair and Co. didn't question Kubiak on whom his staff might be, their fault if they don't like who he hires.
Errant Hothy is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-29-2006   #8
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

We could always get Buddy Ryan, I'm sure he's not doing anything right now...except maybe eating supper a Luby's at 4:30 pm and watching the Wheel of Fortune and maybe punching some obnoxious offensive coordinator.
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #9
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy
Wouldn't, and shouldn't, this have come up during the hiring process?

I mean if McNair and Co. didn't question Kubiak on whom his staff might be, their fault if they don't like who he hires.
Agreed. I don't believe this for a second.
Old 01-29-2006   #10
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
Well, so far the staff looks pretty, uh . . . underwhelming?
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #11
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

could someone please provide a list of the coaches that Kubiak has hired?
At this point, he really hasn't filled any of the major positions as far as I know...

I'm sure McNair wants to make a splash with a high profile hiring...(Sherman, Bates Gray) but I find it hard to believe that he would be disappointed with the moves up to this point.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #12
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

They need to wait if they cannot find quality talent to coach the team. We made the same mistake when drafting a QB with our first pick in team history. Well get cash locked into someone who will keep out someone worthy next year. Although i wouldn't doubt it, it's how this team operates. Heck, Mcnair and Cass will probably trade our #2 rd'r and one of our #3 rd'r for some coach who they barely look at other than what they read in The Sporting News or Sports Illustrated. That was a joke.
Old 01-29-2006   #13
Erratic Assassin
All Pro

Rep Power: 13 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
I guess Hoke himself is not ready to be considered for a DC job?.
We had one of the worst defenses in the NFL last year. He took an athletic cornerback like Phillip Buchanon and did absolutely nothing with him. We had high hopes for Buchanon (fans and Charlie Casserly too) and now we just want to release him.

We are starting a strange, disturbing tradition in Houston. Is this the way to the top? Last year our biggest problem was the offensive line. Instead of firing Pendry for incompetence, we actually promoted him to offensive coordinator. And then we act surprised that the Pendry era didn't work out.

The fact that we would even consider promoting Hoke is ridiculous. Why is Casserly still employed? He lets his coaches pick the players, he overpays below average players, he bundles picks and gets nothing in return and he lets horrible coaches suck their way to the top.
Erratic Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006   #14
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratic Assassin
We had one of the worst defenses in the NFL last year. He took an athletic cornerback like Phillip Buchanon and did absolutely nothing with him. We had high hopes for Buchanon (fans and Charlie Casserly too) and now we just want to release him.

We are starting a strange, disturbing tradition in Houston. Is this the way to the top? Last year our biggest problem was the offensive line. Instead of firing Pendry for incompetence, we actually promoted him to offensive coordinator. And then we act surprised that the Pendry era didn't work out.

The fact that we would even consider promoting Hoke is ridiculous. Why is Casserly still employed? He lets his coaches pick the players, he overpays below average players, he bundles picks and gets nothing in return and he lets horrible coaches suck their way to the top.
We're tha
Zona Cardinals
Zona Cardinals
Zona Cardinals #32
Old 01-30-2006   #15
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
We had one of the worst defenses in the NFL last year. He took an athletic cornerback like Phillip Buchanon and did absolutely nothing with him.
Just because a coach cannot improve a player's attitude does not make him a good coach. That being said, I don't know enough about Hoke to say one way or the other.
Old 01-30-2006   #16
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm not sure, but I don't think anyone with the organization every said Hoke was being considered for promotion... The original post stated that McNair liked Hoke, and would not be happy if Bates didn't retain him(as defensive backs coach)... never mentioned promoting him.
You got that impression fom Nunusguy's post, but that doesn't make it a fact...
Hell, he wasn't even implying that the team was considering a promotion for Hoke...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
I'm going to take it with a grain of salt. Really, this is pure speculation, because Mr. McNair doesn't broadcast his thoughts to anyone. Kubiak has been officially our head coach for what, 5 days now? I find it hard to believe than an internet source has this "inside scoop" at this point in time.
Old 01-30-2006   #18
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I'd really like to see Mike Sherman come here. That would give the offensive staff more credibility. I still want an aggressive approach DC. I'm sick of this read, wait for something to happen, then, and only then, react defense.
Old 01-30-2006   #19
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:

Uh.. I thought Oakland put PB on trading block because of attitude and inability (or as some say wantability) to make hits on opposing players? He continued that with Texans.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read