Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-29-2006   #1
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bush as WR

If Bush can't cut it at RB, could he be mainly a WR?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #2
jmerog
Veteran

Are you thinkin Andre #2? ive heard he has great hands but i dont really know does anyone have any info about the reliability of his hands?
Old 01-29-2006   #3
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

If he can't make it as a RB I don't want to draft him. The whole appeal of having him is having Marshall Faulk's clone. If he's just going to be a WR we might as draft Sinorice Moss.
Old 01-29-2006   #4
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmerog
Are you thinkin Andre #2? ive heard he has great hands but i dont really know does anyone have any info about the reliability of his hands?

he has very good hands for a rb, and has been used quite a bit as a receiver. He has run routes out of the backfield, and has lined up in the slot and ran good routes.
Old 01-29-2006   #5
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

He certainly has the physical abilities to be a good WR, but I haven't taken a good look at his route running abilities to comment. Still, you don't teach speed, but determination and quality time spent with the WR coach can teach route running.

On the Texans, I would expect to see him in at WR on 3-10 plays per game, while splitting carries with Davis. I still don't see us trading Davis, as (a) we won't get much of a deal for him, and (b) he has a lot of bonus we would be eating to make the deal.

Edit: not to mention (c) he is a good back who's only real downside is that he has been injured in seasons past, probably from overuse. I like Davis, and as has been suggested elsewhere on this board, I like the possibilities of him splitting carries with Bush, who's collegiate size has been (I believe accurately) suggested to be a durability concern in the NFL. Ala Anderson/Bell on Denver, and while Bush/Davis are clearly the more talented duo, they are also significantly more pricey. Remains to be seen how this will play out.

Last edited by jerek; 01-29-2006 at 07:23 PM.
jerek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #6
Texans>Colts
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
He certainly has the physical abilities to be a good WR, but I haven't taken a good look at his route running abilities to comment. Still, you don't teach speed, but determination and quality time spent with the WR coach can teach route running.

On the Texans, I would expect to see him in at WR on 3-10 plays per game, while splitting carries with Davis. I still don't see us trading Davis, as (a) we won't get much of a deal for him, and (b) he has a lot of bonus we would be eating to make the deal.
yea i agree with u. The only time bush would b a WR i think would b 4 Screen Passes
Old 01-29-2006   #7
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing with a player like Bush is that we could play him at both rb and wr. I don't see why we couldn't do this at times to mix it up.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-29-2006   #8
bdiddy
Veteran

Bush could be a very good slot receiver. However, I would much rather using him as both a WR and TB.

Bush runs adequate routes, he could probably run excellent routes if he were to concentrate on being a WR.

The dude is a ridiculous athlete, who makes plays. He will find a position and be very successful in the NFL. He is a hybrid player, no single position can define him.
Old 01-29-2006   #9
Koolbrz
Veteran

Quote:

Edit: not to mention (c) he is a good back who's only real downside is that he has been injured in seasons past, probably from overuse. I like Davis, and as has been suggested elsewhere on this board, I like the possibilities of him splitting carries with Bush, who's collegiate size has been (I believe accurately) suggested to be a durability concern in the NFL. Ala Anderson/Bell on Denver, and while Bush/Davis are clearly the more talented duo, they are also significantly more pricey. Remains to be seen how this will play out.

I do believe Bush's durability we be fine in the NFL. He actually is a bit bigger that L.T. and Shaun Alexander when they first came into the NFL. He will also put on about 5-8 more pounds of muscle once he begins his strength and conditioning. I honestly feel that he is our guy. Look at what DD has done, and he is not as big as Bush. Can't wait to see the back of that #5 Texan Jersey racing down the field and those would-be tacklers trying to catch him. It's gonna be a blast
Koolbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #10
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolbrz
I do believe Bush's durability we be fine in the NFL. He actually is a bit bigger that L.T. and Shaun Alexander when they first came into the NFL. He will also put on about 5-8 more pounds of muscle once he begins his strength and conditioning. I honestly feel that he is our guy. Look at what DD has done, and he is not as big as Bush. Can't wait to see the back of that #5 Texan Jersey racing down the field and those would-be tacklers trying to catch him. It's gonna be a blast
I do not dispute your belief that Bush's durability will be fine in the NFL, as I speculate he will do fine on that count. That said, check your numbers:

Bush: 6-0, 200 lbs (last official weight, some current pre-draft reports list him as heavy as 205)
Davis: 5-9, 221 lbs

Height is a blessing/curse for RBs. May give them more pass catching ability, but leaves an extended frame which equals increased vulnerability against tacklers.

Bush gaining another 5-10 lbs *will* cut into his speed some, that is just the nature of it. Don't get me wrong: I still think he is a great pickup and can do well in the league, but he is smaller than Davis and his size in general has more than a few scouts asking questions about his NFL durability. Risk vs. reward still says take him in the top 3 this year, but it is an issue.
Old 01-29-2006   #11
DaveCarr@andrejohnson.net
Rookie

Smile

Reggi Young? Wat the heck are you talking about. Oh and by the way, Bush has always been known for a tail back
DaveCarr@andrejohnson.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #12
Fighting Blue Hen
Rookie

Wouldn't Vince Young be a better WR? He has the size, hands, and speed.
Old 01-29-2006   #13
Koolbrz
Veteran

Quote:
I do not dispute your belief that Bush's durability will be fine in the NFL, as I speculate he will do fine on that count. That said, check your numbers:

Bush: 6-0, 200 lbs (last official weight, some current pre-draft reports list him as heavy as 205)
Davis: 5-9, 221 lbs

Height is a blessing/curse for RBs. May give them more pass catching ability, but leaves an extended frame which equals increased vulnerability against tacklers.

Bush gaining another 5-10 lbs *will* cut into his speed some, that is just the nature of it. Don't get me wrong: I still think he is a great pickup and can do well in the league, but he is smaller than Davis and his size in general has more than a few scouts asking questions about his NFL durability. Risk vs. reward still says take him in the top 3 this year, but it is an issue.

Ok, checked my numbers and DD weighs in at 216#. I really don't believe Bush will lose much in speed by gaining at best 10 pounds. We are talking muscle here not fat. Playing at 210 we give him some more power to run over the brave souls, DB's, that try and take him down in the open field. Size really doesn't matter when you are as elusive as this guy. Look at S. Jackson he is 6'2'' 230#. Weight does make a difference, but he is really tall. Then again look at T. Barber he is only 5'10" 200lbs and look at what he has done. W. Dunn 5'9" 180#. They seem to be very durable and productive. As always there is always a risk when you draft someone. The reward in this situation, I believe, will be great. He has no history of being injured, because defenders can't get a clean hit on him. All i know is that if we pick this guy, look out NFL. With some good pick-ups in FA, maybe a couple trades, and some good draft choices, we might be talkin playoffs within a couple of yrs.
Koolbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006   #14
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Bush won't run at the combine but he'll get weighed.
Then at his pro day he'll run but not get weighed. Watch
Old 01-30-2006   #15
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Reggie Bush has experience at playing WR, but Young has the figure of a wide receiver. So that is why some people are seeing Young as the next Matt Jones/Randel El. However, IMO, I don't think VY could go for that. I think he wants to be a QB, and that is one of the reasons he declared this year. IF he did stay at Texas, and did not win the Heisman, and Texas was not National Champions, his stock would be much lower and teams would be looking at his athletic ability more than his Quarterbacking.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read