Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-29-2006   #1
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected
Default If the Texans trade the 1st pick....

which team do you think is the most interested in getting the top pick at this point, and who are they after?
Old 01-29-2006   #2
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

regardless of which team I dont think we trade down past the #4 spot. So that leaves the Titans and Jets as the most probable, but not sure we want to trade our pick to the titans being a division rival....if it comes down to the jets...then I think they go with a QB...not sure if they would take VY or ML. Leaving us either D'brick or Hawk at the 4 spot...if they trade any lower the city will erupt.
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #3
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

You both raise interesting points/topics. The problem is that we wouldn't trade down past four and the Saints/Titans would most likely have qb needs over Bush (unlike us). Therefore, it leaves the Jets who have so many needs (and a rookie coach) that they may not be willing to give us value for the overall number one pick. Thus, at that point we would be looking at the Raiders, etc. and I think that is too far down the line for us to make a move. Thus, I think it is either Bush or D'Brick (if the Jets offer enough). Don't see it happening, though.
Old 01-29-2006   #4
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

This leaves the question... can we take D'Brick at number 1?
Old 01-29-2006   #5
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Any team in the need of a Franchise quarterback, New Orleans, Tennessee, Oakland, Baltimore, Miami, Detroit, Arizona
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #6
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

and the answer is NO...there is now way you can give 1st pick money to a lineman. It would HAVE to be a "SKILL POSITION" player ie. QB, RB, WR.
Old 01-29-2006   #7
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Titans for the re-untiting of Chow and Leinert. If they think we're taking Bush and tha Saints are taking Leinert, then they may pony up a deal the week of the draft.

We move down to third, collect some pix, maybe Vanden Bosch too and still get VY.

That way we have the VY Camp happy and the Trade Crew somewhat satisfied. The Bush League will change their names to Petersons Pals and get themselves geared up for next years campaign.
Sponsored links
Old 01-29-2006   #8
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

thats a funny post, but dont think its likely. Weirder things have happened though...
Old 01-29-2006   #9
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfanatic
regardless of which team I dont think we trade down past the #4 spot. So that leaves the Titans and Jets as the most probable, but not sure we want to trade our pick to the titans being a division rival....

The Jets are the most likely trade partner I think , Mainly because they are interested in both Lienart and Bush and moving up to #1 they would have options .... On the Texans side they would not have to pay the approximate $9million per that the #1 pick is going to want and still have their chouce of the best OT, LB , CB and DE in the draft .

As for trading down w/ the Titan's I wouldnt mind mainly because they would take on a huge contract for one and would also be giving up multiple picks for one player ....The Titans have multiple holes to fill and giving up multiple picks for the #1 would make it more difficult for them to do so .... I would take no less than the #3 overall this years #2 and next years #1 giving the Texans the 3rd overall , 33 , 35 , 66 , 67(from NO) for first day picks and two #1's next season . Five picks in the top 67 could go a long way in filling some of their many holes.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #10
sangien
Rookie

Default Ol

The smart choice is Brick, though not popular. Great skill talent but the rubber meets the road in the trebches.
sangien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #11
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
The Jets are the most likely trade partner I think , Mainly because they are interested in both Lienart and Bush and moving up to #1 they would have options .... On the Texans side they would not have to pay the approximate $9million per that the #1 pick is going to want and still have their chouce of the best OT, LB , CB and DE in the draft .

As for trading down w/ the Titan's I wouldnt mind mainly because they would take on a huge contract for one and would also be giving up multiple picks for one player ....The Titans have multiple holes to fill and giving up multiple picks for the #1 would make it more difficult for them to do so .... I would take no less than the #3 overall this years #2 and next years #1 giving the Texans the 3rd overall , 33 , 35 , 66 , 67(from NO) for first day picks and two #1's next season . Five picks in the top 67 could go a long way in filling some of their many holes.
I like your scenario but according to their needs who would they take and what would we be left to pick from?
Old 01-29-2006   #12
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know what the managements of any of these team think, but reading the posts of fans from other boards, none of them want to move-up, especially at the cost of a couple of number 1s and at least one or two 1st day picks.

Remember the Saints, Jets, Packers and Raiders will all be under new administrations who will turning over the roster wanting to get a good amount their guys. The Titans have had depth issues for at least two years running. Trading 4 or 5 picks is probably not what any of these guys want to do. The hope for the Texans is that someone falls in irrational love with Bush, Leinert or Young. Logically, none of these guys should trade up.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #13
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfanatic
I like your scenario but according to their needs who would they take and what would we be left to pick from?

I see Bush , Lienart and Young going 1,2 and 3 in no specific order .

The Titans are in need of a RB and McNair's eventual replacement ... they could also use some O-line help . Not real sure who they would take w/ the #1 pick Bush ? Young ? Lienart ? and the remote posibility of D-Brick ?

The S'aints need a QB ...Aaron Brooks is done there .... He's a turnover waiting to happen and nothing better than a back up . They will take Lienart or Young . Probably Lienart because they will look for a more traditional QB to replace Brooks .

As for a trade w/ the Jets .. Same as above , the top 3 dont change . Bush Lienart and Young go 1, 2 , 3 leaving the rest to pick from .

I really think the #3 pick has a lot of value in this draft mainly because you can pencil in Lienart to NO .... leaving either Bush or Young at 3 , Both have #1 potential and would cost a lot less here .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
Logiacally, none of these guys should trade up.
I completely agree

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #14
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

The more I read & the longer it takes to hear a definitive choice from the Texans, the more I believe that we will trade down from the #1 pick. In the end, D'Brick will be our target.

After all, it makes all the sense in the world. McNair has voiced his total support for Carr & has been commenting on the need to better protect his Franchise QB for the last couple of years. Since most scouts, & talent evaluators, consider D'Brick to be one of the very rare LT's that only come around once every 10+ years, he has to be the target.

Kubiak knows the importance of a strong OL & that's further emphasized by the Texan's attempt at wooing Sherman to come in & coach the OL. To further the argument that we'll trade down, Kubiak has made several comments that could indicate he's for that, as opposed to taking one of the glamour picks.

As for not being able to get fair market value for the #1 overall pick, if you've got a player that you really want, & you know that he'll be there after the 3rd pick, wouldn't taking any deal in the 11th hour that nets you extra compensation & still allows you to get the player you want be a good move? In other words, if the best deal you could get was the Jets #4 pick & a mid-round pick, would you turn it down? It still gives you an extra pick, while reducing the salary you have to pay to your #1 pick.

By the way, for the record, I do believe we'll get some nice compensation for the #1 pick. It just, might not agree with the value chart that keeps floating around.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #15
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

The farthest down we go is with the Jets and I don't think they are going to be willing to give up what we would need to grab our pick. If they think Pennington can make it back, they may go with Brick themselves. The problem is we will not trade down past the fourth pick - it is either Bush or Brick....
Old 01-29-2006   #16
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie
As for not being able to get fair market value for the #1 overall pick, if you've got a player that you really want, & you know that he'll be there after the 3rd pick, wouldn't taking any deal in the 11th hour that nets you extra compensation & still allows you to get the player you want be a good move? In other words, if the best deal you could get was the Jets #4 pick & a mid-round pick, would you turn it down? It still gives you an extra pick, while reducing the salary you have to pay to your #1 pick.

By the way, for the record, I do believe we'll get some nice compensation for the #1 pick. It just, might not agree with the value chart that keeps floating around.
Bolded section 1- You absolutely do not trade down for less than market value. The Texans should not take less than the Giants gave to San diego under any circumstances. What happens when some team sees the Texans drop and that team jumps in front of Houston and drafts Ferguson? Say bush, Young , Ferguson go 1-2-3. Ya think that would go over well.

Bold 2-If anything the trade should exceed the price of the value chart. By setting a high price for trading up, a team lowers the chance that someone else will trade up, and jump in front of them if they trade down. The team at the top of the draft controls the draft. Don't give up that control easily.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #17
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

I said this in another thread, but I still got this small belief that Oakland would be willing to trade their first round pick and a 2nd rounder next year for our first overrall pick. I totally believe they want Leinart.

Sorry 'bout that...barin fart.
Old 01-29-2006   #18
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

I Doubt We could trade with either Saints Or Titans they know we arent taking a QB wich is why it was so Stupid to announce that we are sticking with David Carr why in there right mind would they move up both of those Clubs would be happy with either Young Or Lion Heart so we are kind of screwed unless we start acting like we are not sure anymore on our QB situtation. so those clubs will get who they want or someone they will be happy with with out paying 1st overall money for him.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #19
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonhurricane
The farthest down we go is with the Jets and I don't think they are going to be willing to give up what we would need to grab our pick.
If we were to trade with the Jets (who are picking 4th), the bare minimum we
should receive for our #1 overall is all 3 of their first day picks.
But I see no need to stay within the top 5, actually not even the top 10. This
is a good Draft for OTs, with maybe half a dozen valued at or near first round
picks. If we were to trade farther down (say mid first round), to somebody who has "got to have Reggie", we should be able to get all of their 2006 picks
plus some of their first day picks in '07.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #20
ensign_lee
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 468 ensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
If we were to trade with the Jets (who are picking 4th), the bare minimum we
should receive for our #1 overall is all 3 of their first day picks.
But I see no need to stay within the top 5, actually not even the top 10. This
is a good Draft for OTs, with maybe half a dozen valued at or near first round
picks. If we were to trade farther down (say mid first round), to somebody who has "got to have Reggie", we should be able to get all of their 2006 picks
plus some of their first day picks in '07.

Are you kidding? NOBODY will trade away "all of their 2006 picks" for one pick. Moreover, I seriously doubt that anybody will even give us their 1st, second, and third rounders THIS year.

What's probably more reasonable is to swap first round picks, get their first pick in 2007 and either A) their second pick in 2007 or B) their third or fourth pick this year.

Nobody in their right mind, save Matt Millen will give up their entire draft for ONE unproven player, so say that we should accept nothing less than ALL of somebody's first day picks is not realistic.
ensign_lee is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read