Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-29-2006   #1
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected
Exclamation Texans could pursue Jon Runyan...

per kffl.com

Texans | Team could pursue Runyan
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 07:37:45 -0800

Kimberly Jones, of the Star-Ledger, reports the Houston Texans could pursue Philadelphia Eagles OT Jon Runyan, if the Eagles don't re-sign him. Runyan is slated to become an unrestricted free agent in March.
Old 01-29-2006   #2
Apoch
Rookie

I don't believe this one bit. John Runyan is a huge 6'7" 330lb road grader. There is no way he can do what is required in the zone system. This one will stay a rumor.
Apoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #3
Bronco Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 29 Bronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Bronco Texan Send a message via Yahoo to Bronco Texan

I hate to say it but it doesn't look like they will be using zone blocking, not with Sherman on board. Unless Infante implements the system with help from sherman.
Bronco Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #4
cadahnic
All Pro

We have a younger Jon Runyan type player already in Todd WAde no reason to pursue him. I like getting Bentley and Nalen if possible. Lock down Mangold and Winston in the draft and then Restructure or cut Wade and McKinney. Your looking at Pitts/Winston Bentley/McKinney Nalen/Mangold Weigert/McKinney/Bentley Pitts/Wisnton. I think we really should play hardball with McKinney though so if he does not come back we still have Weary, Washington, Wade, and Wand as backups and that is not bad. It is a start, but Wade does not really fit eventhough I guess he would play the George Foster role. BTW to the peope who keep saying Lepsis was a low pick and he is fine, ask a Broncos fan and they will tell you they want someone who is a much better pass blocker and OL overall.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #5
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic
We have a younger Jon Runyan type player already in Todd WAde no reason to pursue him. I like getting Bentley and Nalen if possible. Lock down Mangold and Winston in the draft and then Restructure or cut Wade and McKinney. Your looking at Pitts/Winston Bentley/McKinney Nalen/Mangold Weigert/McKinney/Bentley Pitts/Wisnton. I think we really should play hardball with McKinney though so if he does not come back we still have Weary, Washington, Wade, and Wand as backups and that is not bad. It is a start, but Wade does not really fit eventhough I guess he would play the George Foster role. BTW to the peope who keep saying Lepsis was a low pick and he is fine, ask a Broncos fan and they will tell you they want someone who is a much better pass blocker and OL overall.
I'd have to agree here....Mckinney has to restructure or show his sorry *** the door, oh and let us not forget...he should NEVER see the Center position again...the guy is horrible. Let Hodgon (sp?) get his reps and take over at C or get Bentley from NO and let him take over at C with Hodg backing him up.

Wouldnt it be funny to have a Carr at QB and a Bentley at C....hmmm.
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #6
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

I would like to see McTurnstyle gone, or at least restructured. And he's no longer allowed to play C. He's supposed to be an anchor of that o-line, and he's the worst of the bunch.
Old 01-29-2006   #7
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Texan
I hate to say it but it doesn't look like they will be using zone blocking, not with Sherman on board. Unless Infante implements the system with help from sherman.

Ive been wondering the same thing myself .... A lot of people on this board are of the opinion that the Texans will use the ZBS but im not sure that they will .... Its kinda a reach for us to assume that at this point .

Has Sherman agree'd to come here or is this still up in the air ?

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-29-2006   #8
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfanatic
Mckinney has to restructure or show his sorry *** the door.
I got a dinged up used Carr he can drive out of town. He can use it to get as far as it'll take him and hen leave it on the side of the road when it craps on him.
Old 01-29-2006   #9
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers
Lightbulb

Quote:
Wouldn't it funny if the Saints put the Franchise or Transition Tag on LeCharles Bentley?

It's funny that most people on this board seems to forget that they have the option to do this *shakes his head*
Old 01-29-2006   #10
cadahnic
All Pro

If they put a Transistion tag on him we still go after, him it would be a great thing, but they then have to match our offer. If they Franchise him which they might do then we start looking harder at the draft and FA. There are a couple of lower tier guys that could possibly have an impact. LJ Shelton would be a tackle to look at or guys like that. That would aslo free up a decent amount of guys in NO that would become FAs. Would be interesting to say the least, but I dont give out picks for a C/G even if they did go to the probowl.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #11
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

i think they will continue to use the ZB scheme
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #12
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers
Thumbs up

Quote:
If they put a Transistion tag on him we still go after, him it would be a great thing, but they then have to match our offer.
This is what I'm hoping will happen, because the first team that sets the market price on him by making him an offer, we'll than have the chance to match and we are $10 million under the cap. So if you make an offer and we match it, you lose and we keep him with no one never having another opportunity to offer him another contract. We're still gonna win in the situation no matter what, unless we just let him walk as an unrestricted free agent which would be a very stupid idea.
Old 01-29-2006   #13
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Throw on top of that if we get Donald Driver in FA.
Then you could have a Driver for your Carr and a Driver for the Bently.
Old 01-29-2006   #14
Samer
Veteran

I hope New Orleans doesnt pick up the option on Bentley and he comes to Houston, and as for Nalen, I know he took less money to stay with Denver, do you think that he would leave Denver to play for Kubiak, that would be awesome. Driver would fit in perfectly with us, and what would make it even more wicked is if we picked up Driver and lets say maybe a Kevin Curtis, or maybe even Eric Moulds in the FA. Think about how this looks: Carr, Davis, Bush, Johnson, Driver, Moulds, Mathis, Gaffney. We would be a 5 receiver threat and have a real good running game to go along with it,
Samer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #15
Apoch
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Texan
Kubiak would not deviate from a time tested system just for Mike Sherman. Either he thinks Sherman can help teach the zone blocking system, or he just wants him for a year while we switch systems slowly. We will run the zone system in Houston, but with hardly any talent on the line it will take a while to get it running well.

...still hoping they can bring in Alex Gibbs.
Apoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #16
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

I'm not real sure why we'd go after a guy that old, if we're going to add OLinemen we should at least get younger guys (Bentley, draft picks, etc.) He is not too big to play OT in a zone blocking scheme, OTs are just the same in both schemes, OGs are the main ones that you generally want to be smaller and more athletic in zone blocking. We also currently run a zone blocking scheme, granted we haven't been great at it, but our run blocking hasn't been too bad the last couple years, so we're not going to have to switch over to it and learn a new blocking system.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #17
bdiddy
Veteran

Quote:
Please do not disrespect Runyan by comparing him to Todd Wade. Runyan is a very good RT, Wade is mediocre at best. Runyan literally attempts to kill his opponent every week, he is one of the league's dirtiest players. I would not mind signing him to a 2 year deal w/ an option for a third (much the same type of offer I would offer Nalen). This would allow Kubes to draft and develop some younger guys in the lower rounds. Still want to use our 2nd rounder on best O-Lineman available.
Old 01-29-2006   #18
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan
I got a dinged up used Carr he can drive out of town. He can use it to get as far as it'll take him and hen leave it on the side of the road when it craps on him.
Grow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #19
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

eh.. ive got two opinions on this move.

My first thought is: Why spend that kind of money on a player who will only be playing for another season or two? I dont want to use all my cap space on that. It would mostly be a PR move... try and improve the Oline with a big hire so that people will know that it is being worked on. But in the long run its just gonna hurt us. We could use that cap space to grab a YOUNG player who may actually be able to make a difference for this team and help get it to the superbowl.

my other thought is: If we are going to fix Carr...we need to get him some protection FAST. Its kinda hard to teach a guy to trust his pocket and stop looking for the blitz when he still only has a couple of seconds to get the ball out of his hands. If hiring old (but talented) linemen to come in for a season or two to give Carr the protection he needs to reach the next level.. then go for it.

If im gonna hire an old lineman on his way out of the league though.. id hire Nalen..the center from Denver. He brings experience to the line where it is most needed.. and knows what protection to call at the line of scrimmage... and has a career's worth of experience with the Denver zone blocking scheme.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #20
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 129709 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree. I wonder if it is a "leak" by the agent or just someone coming up with "runyan is FA and he is being looked at by (insert bad OL teams name)" in the mix
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read