Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-29-2006   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Cowboys Whining & Bellyaching about HOF Voting

"Is there a conspiracy to keep Dallas greats out of the Pro Football Hall of Fame?
The election is approaching, and the conspiracy theorists are waiting to pounce.
The object of their skepticism is not a race for political office, but the widely anticipated annual clash of wills that is the Pro Football Hall of Fame vote."
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.2ce332f.html
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #2
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
"Is there a conspiracy to keep Dallas greats out of the Pro Football Hall of Fame?
The election is approaching, and the conspiracy theorists are waiting to pounce.
The object of their skepticism is not a race for political office, but the widely anticipated annual clash of wills that is the Pro Football Hall of Fame vote."
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.2ce332f.html
Must be folks from UT, whine just like them.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #3
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I know my opinion doesn't mean much and I'll be accused of whining or whatever but the Cowboys only have something like 5 players in the HOF....that's not very many.

John McClain, who is a voter, said there is a bias. He said there is no other reason for some really great players being overlooked.

It can't be proven and it's up to each voter to vote his conscience but I've heard people even say Troy Aikman doesn't belong. So yea I question why some teams have so many and some not so many.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #4
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

they haven't had too many all-time great players. the media overrates them so much that it seems there must be a bias against them for there not to be more 'girls in the HOF, but in reality, they don't belong
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #5
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

This is an argument that I'm not gonna win.

If you complain you're whining. I wasn't but I'll be thought of that way just because I answered the thread.

If you point out names people are gonna say they were just average.

Bob Hayes is the first name that comes to my mind.
Old 01-29-2006   #6
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

I admit that I don't know many past Cowboys players to make an argument (or many of the other 70s and early 80s players for that matter), but I would agree that many of the guys the Cowboys had on their 1990s teams are not really worthy of being in the Hall of Fame, they had some great players and then a bunch of solid role players around them that did their job. Aikman, Emmitt, maybe Irvin, Larry Allen, probably Deion all belong in the Hall once they're eligible, but other than that I don't know if any of the others do.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #7
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
I admit that I don't know many past Cowboys players to make an argument (or many of the other 70s and early 80s players for that matter), but I would agree that many of the guys the Cowboys had on their 1990s teams are not really worthy of being in the Hall of Fame, they had some great players and then a bunch of solid role players around them that did their job. Aikman, Emmitt, maybe Irvin, Larry Allen, probably Deion all belong in the Hall once they're eligible, but other than that I don't know if any of the others do.
I would like to add Darren Woodson to that list. He was a very good SS and for over a decade was a fixture in their secondary, really underated.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-29-2006   #8
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Rayfield Wright is the one who's been screwed. 6 time pro-bowler.

If the Cowboys would have won SB XIII, they would probably have Wright and a couple others in the Hall.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #9
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna
they haven't had too many all-time great players. the media overrates them so much that it seems there must be a bias against them for there not to be more 'girls in the HOF, but in reality, they don't belong
Yeah, it's the media that overrates us. It's not like we've been in more Super Bowls than any other team or had 20 consecutive winning seasons.

It's because we don't/didn't have players that belong.

BTW, the same media that "overrates" them is the same media that does the voting.

Last edited by Huge; 01-29-2006 at 09:09 PM.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
6 time pro-bowler.
I'm sorry, but I've decided that # of pro-bowl selections can be misleading.
Its a popular vote with a lot of fan input, and fans certainly don't tend to be objective. And many times the pro-bowl selections come after a player is
on the down side of his career. Now all-pro selections, while not perfect,
are more meaningful and should carry more weight in measuring a players
relative abilities and consideration for HOF membership.
Old 01-29-2006   #11
DFAN
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.

If the Cowboys would have won SB XIII, they would probably have Wright and a couple others in the Hall.

That is true. If they would had won one of the SB's against the Steelers there would be more in.
Old 01-29-2006   #12
Texans>Colts
Veteran

its because the cowboy fans r *******s
Old 01-29-2006   #13
DFAN
Veteran

Quote:
Its a popular vote with a lot of fan input, and fans certainly don't tend to be objective. And many times the pro-bowl selections come after a player is

I'm not for sure on this but I belive the fans did not vote in the 60's and 70's.

The media isnt always objective either.
Old 01-29-2006   #14
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Fans didn't vote for the Pro Bowl in the 70's. In fact, I don't think fan voting started until the late 90's.

If you think Pro Bowls are trivial, Wright was named first or second team All-Pro each season from 1971 through 1976, earned three All-NFC honors and was named to the NFL’s All-Decade Team of the 1970s.

I watched him play over his entire career and his induction is long overdue.

Last edited by aj.; 01-29-2006 at 09:35 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #15
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Fans didn't vote for the Pro Bowl in the 70's. In fact, I don't think fan voting started until the late 90's.

If you think Pro Bowls are trivial, Wright was named first or second team All-Pro each season from 1971 through 1976, earned three All-NFC honors and was named to the NFL’s All-Decade Team of the 1970s.

I watched him play over his entire career and his induction is long overdue.
If he had 5 consecutive years as an all pro (whether it was first or second team) and all-decade 70s team, that's impressive. But anyway, with this kind of elaboration its easy to see that the guy has a very strong resume.
And I did not know that pro bowl selections didn't include fan participation back then, but to me they carry more weight without that input.
Old 01-29-2006   #16
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

At least pro football puts SOME guys in. The baseball HOF is so elite that Cy Young wouldn't make the cut if he had to be re-voted in.
Old 01-30-2006   #17
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Rayfield Wright is the only player from that All-70's decade team not in the Hall of Fame.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.

NFL Films had a show about the '70's Steelers. A couple of those guys who are in the hall said several other Cowboys deserved to be in the hall and it was only one or two plays from having been the decade of the Cowboys. IMO the hall of fame opposition is correct and several guys, Wright included, should be inducted.
Old 01-30-2006   #19
jgl35
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1760 jgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wright should be in the HOF, but the real crime is that Bob Hayes is not already there. If any one thinks this post comes from a Cowboy fan"whining", I am a life long Eagle fan. Both were great players and should be in the HOF.
jgl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006   #20
WWJD
Hall of Fame

It's a travesty that Bob Hayes is not in the HOF and really it's too late to matter because he's gone.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read