Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Should Joppru not play till the season starts?
Yes 25 24.04%
No 26 25.00%
Still draft a TE to start right off the bat. 53 50.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2006   #1
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default Should Joppru Play This Preseason?

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I think this is something the Texans must seriously consider. If I had my way, I'd hire a personal trainer for Joppru, just have Joppru work out and watch game film all day long. Don't let him out of his padded room till the season starts.

I just got to thinking about this when thinking about drafting a TE in the upcoming draft.
Old 01-28-2006   #2
YodAa
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to YodAa

Joppru is a bust, nothing else to it.
Old 01-28-2006   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

oops...I meant to pick no. Your topic question and poll question are different ...kinda confusing.

Yes he should play this preseason.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

oh... and i see no logic in saying "Joppru is a bust"... that is majorly jumping the gun. He could still come back and never get injured again. He doesnt have a history of injury before coming to Houston. We have no idea what we have in him.. but he isnt a bust yet.. if he gets injured again, we will probably have to cut him and call him a bust.
Old 01-28-2006   #5
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
oh... and i see no logic in saying "Joppru is a bust"... that is majorly jumping the gun. He could still come back and never get injured again. He doesnt have a history of injury before coming to Houston. We have no idea what we have in him.. but he isnt a bust yet.. if he gets injured again, we will probably have to cut him and call him a bust.

dude... 3 years and 0 snaps... and you say calling him a bust is majorly jumping the gun? honestly, I think anyone that expects him to ever see the field in any important situation is just delusional.

A high 2nd round pick, going into his 4th year, and has never taken a snap.

The fact that he didnt have injury concerns at Michigan doesnt mean anything, because he obviously has injury problems here.
Old 01-28-2006   #6
Grid
Hall of Fame

a bust is a useless player.. duh?

Is he a useless player? no.. he isnt.. he hasnt seen a snap.. he is no more a useless player than every single player in this years draft.

He has no injury history, he has had some incredible bad luck here but his lack of an injury history means that he could still come back from it. I wouldnt say it is incredibly likely.. but it is still possible, and as long as it is possible, and as long as we have absolutely no idea what we have in him.. calling him a bust is jumping the gun.

This seems like simple logic to me.
Old 01-28-2006   #7
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

and then maybe during the regular season we'll put a 'dont hurt my little boy' poster on his jersey so defenders wont tackle him....if a player is such a cause for concern he shouldnt be there. plus this isnt peyton manning-we've seen nothing out of joppru and he still has to prove alot
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-28-2006   #8
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 711 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

If he's got injury problems he's probably going to get hurt either way. I think he needs to get some snaps in preseason, unless the trainers think a few more weeks off will make a significant difference in his recovery. Either way though we need to plan for this season as if he's not going to play.
ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #9
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

depending on how the coaching staff feels about this. i believe his potential outweighs using another high draft pick on a TE.

let him play like everyone else and IMO he is not a bust unless we get nothing at all out of this. he can still come back to prove his worth...even though some fans have already made up their minds.

heres to a healthy joppru this season
Old 01-28-2006   #10
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
a bust is a useless player.. duh?

Is he a useless player? no.. he isnt.. he hasnt seen a snap.. he is no more a useless player than every single player in this years draft.

He has no injury history, he has had some incredible bad luck here but his lack of an injury history means that he could still come back from it. I wouldnt say it is incredibly likely.. but it is still possible, and as long as it is possible, and as long as we have absolutely no idea what we have in him.. calling him a bust is jumping the gun.

This seems like simple logic to me.
he has no injury history? ok, maybe out of college, but guess what.. hes been in the NFL 3 years, and has been injured every single one. Thats a hell of an injury concern to me.

you can get off with 1 season ender, maybe 2 if its a freak injury, but when you get to 3, hes obviously doing something wrong, it just doesnt happen.
Old 01-28-2006   #11
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdude730
depending on how the coaching staff feels about this. i believe his potential outweighs using another high draft pick on a TE.

let him play like everyone else and IMO he is not a bust unless we get nothing at all out of this. he can still come back to prove his worth...even though some fans have already made up their minds.

heres to a healthy joppru this season
but if 1 of marcedes,pope or davis was still there @ #33 you'd be tempted (or byrd etc further down)
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #12
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I don't think he is a bust, I just think he is a disappointment. I just hope he can come back and play. If I was the Texans FO I would still plan on not having him this year.
Old 01-28-2006   #13
Grid
Hall of Fame

it just doesnt happen? show me why. Give me some examples of players that have come out of College with no injury history and had freak season ending injuries their first three years.

If he was from UT you would be singing his praises and saying that he was going to come back and win us a superbowl next year :P
Old 01-28-2006   #14
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

no matter what, we need 2 TE's that can catch AND block. we need depth like that..

Joppru needs to play in the preseason if he is healed.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #15
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
it just doesnt happen? show me why. Give me some examples of players that have come out of College with no injury history and had freak season ending injuries their first three years.

If he was from UT you would be singing his praises and saying that he was going to come back and win us a superbowl next year :P
no, id be saying why is he still on the roster.

you can't tell the difference between someone who is a huge UT fan and will correct someone when they make a BS comment about VY or Huff, and someone that runs around screaming UT is the best draft vince blah blah
Old 01-28-2006   #16
Texans>Colts
Veteran

Wat don't u get. Japulu Sux:brickwall
Old 01-28-2006   #17
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we draft another TE. Given Joppru's NFL history, I say we hedge our bets. That way, if Joppru makes it - we have some depth - if he doesn't - we have a TE and we certainly need a good one.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #18
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61262 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Even though it is not really fair, Joppru is a bust uunless he proves to have some value. Many of you would not be so defensive about calling him that if he were not a Texans' player. It is done on these boards with other injuried players all the time. Any player who does not contribute to expectation is by definition a bust even if injury is the cause not meeting that expectation.

Joppru has not played in any type of football game since Jan 2003. There is no other way to figure out if he is an NFL calibur player (remember we don't know) than to have him suit up in football games. You can't protect him because you don't know if he is any good.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #19
Grid
Hall of Fame

I guess I have a different definition of bust then.

A bust to me is a player who cant play at an NFL level. They are not good enough to help their team win.

Jopprue hasnt contributed anything to the team.. but he hasnt proven that he CANT contribute either. As long as we have him under contract I see no reason not to keep him and hope that he can come back and prove himself. If he gets injured again and his contract comes up.. THEN i will call him a bust and expect us not to re-sign him.

Until then though.. im not going to call him a bust.. just a really unlucky rookie. I hope he comes back from it though.. its the kind of story that ESPN will turn into a 3 minute "feel good" clip to play at halftime in our first superbowl appearance
Old 01-28-2006   #20
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

In terms of the draft pick used to draft him he most definately is a bust, because that secound round pick could have been used on someone who provided more utiity in the past 3 years.

In terms of the talent we have to present on the field, it has yet to be determined if he can play or not. Statistically the numbers are against him and spending one of our picks, either a 3rd or a 4th rounder on a TE, or bringing in a free agent would be advised.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read