Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-28-2006   #1
Texans>Colts
Veteran

Default Problem with Vince Young?

i no this guy is a tremendous athlete who i respect a whole lot. I also he can run and pass the ball very well, but i have watched tapes of him and i saw he threw sidearm. I think that might b a problem in the NFL. The big D-linemen can get their hands up and knock it down at the line. Any1 think this is a problem?
Old 01-28-2006   #2
CITY CAT
Veteran

David Carr throws side arm. Former league MVP Rich Gannon also through side arm. So while it is not universal, it can be successfull.
CITY CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #3
Caesar
Veteran

Dan Marino didn't have many problems with it.
Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #4
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Also, VY is 6'5. Of all the problems with drafting VY, which we wont do, this is the most overrated one...
Old 01-28-2006   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Bret Favre throws side arm, under arm, back armed, et. al....
Old 01-28-2006   #6
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32854 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

I once saw S. Jergensen throw a pass behind his back and complete the throw! I do not care how it gets there as long as it is complete.

Old 01-28-2006   #7
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Bret Favre throws side arm, under arm, back armed, et. al....

hell, Jake Plummer throws left-handed.
Old 01-29-2006   #8
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

his sidearm motion restricts the power he can put behind a pass. it's one thing like favre to throw sidearm when the situation calls for it, but when he needs to rail a ball in there, he throws a perfect overhand pass. young doesn't have the zip with the sidearm
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #9
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna
his sidearm motion restricts the power he can put behind a pass. it's one thing like favre to throw sidearm when the situation calls for it, but when he needs to rail a ball in there, he throws a perfect overhand pass. young doesn't have the zip with the sidearm

he doesn't throw sidearm
Old 01-29-2006   #10
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

Quote:
You know, I never really broken down his throwing motion that way. But now that you mentiion it, I totally see what you are saying. It does restrict the amount of get-up you can throw the ball with.
Old 01-29-2006   #11
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Anyone who watched VY this year knows he is capable of throwing long (30+ yard) bombs. Not sure how much "zip" he has on his motion really matters.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #12
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

he doesn't throw sidearm
except when he's throwing a football

looks sidearm to me
Quote:
Anyone who watched VY this year knows he is capable of throwing long (30+ yard) bombs. Not sure how much "zip" he has on his motion really matters.
first of all, his deep passes flutter a ton. if not for the safeties always playing the run, he'd have more passes picked off. his big receivers can outplay the opposition's corners, so he just lobs the ball up there and lets his WR's make the play. secondly, that has nothing to do with arm strength. i'm talking of the throwing the darts to the sideline, or on a quick strike to the first down marker on 3rd down, etc. he's struggled a lot with that, and his throwing motion is probably to blame for that mostly
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #13
DaveCarr@andrejohnson.net
Rookie

That is why they are thinking of lienart instead.
DaveCarr@andrejohnson.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

who is they?? Texans already have a better Lienhart. We want Vince, because he adds something to the team we don't have, which we thing will help us win games. I'm not discounting his sidearm, or ignoring it. But I believe Vince is more capable than most to work on and fix things like this. Even though, as it was pointed out, that many a QBs have had succesful careers with the problem.
Old 01-29-2006   #15
stevo3883
All Pro

-its a lot like Carr's release angle
Old 01-29-2006   #16
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 TexansNeedRBin05 has been demoted to the practice squad
Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05

Not sure if anyone notices but he runs just upright as you can get but he doesn't get tackled? Not sure how it works in the NCAA but I doubt it will work in the NFL. 6'5 running high=knee injury.
TexansNeedRBin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006   #17
txlonghorn14
Rookie

i think he'll be able to adjust to whatever is facing him. i look at the sidearm throw as a trademark.
Old 01-30-2006   #18
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883
hell, Jake Plummer throws left-handed.
As does Steve Young, Boomer Esiason (I think), Mark Brunell, and Michael Vick. You have a problem with us lefties? I put a left-handed curse upon you stevo.
Old 01-30-2006   #19
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Y'know it's obviously not ideal to throw 3/4 or sidearm, but sometimes unorthodox deliveries can help, especially if they are quick or are tough for defenses to anticipate/read. The thought is that he'll get some balls batted down and he'll certainly get more batted down than if he threw over the top, but he's 6'5" and does a lot of throwing on the move, so I don't see it being a huge problem. We saw how Cutler got 2 in a row batted down with his "perfect delivery" in the Senior Bowl (BTW, how can a guy be that cocky after a 6-19 performance).

It might not be much of a problem at all, Jerry Gray said in a McClain article that to stop Vince he would probably have his DE's take wider angles to the QB so as not to get Frostee Ruckerized. That means passing lanes are gonna be a little wider than on average. I'm not saying everybody is gonna do this, but it gives you an idea how his running ability makes throwing the ball a little easier for him.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006   #20
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm of the opinion that a QB can do what he wants as long as he gets the job done. Look at Bernie Kosar or some others. Everyone trys to fit balls to guys best they know how. If they are successful, then so be it. If every QB needed the perfect motion and arm strength then Ryan Leaf would have 5 SBs.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read