Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2006   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Angry HPF:Horn Blowers

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/slant/slant65.html

Quote:
January 13, 2006
Horn Blowers
by Ric Sweeney
HoustonProFootball.com

It was going to be soooooo easy. Hire an offensive-minded coach. Draft Reggie Bush. Stock up on offensive linemen in the draft and free agency. Jettison Charley Casserly to some remote peninsula on some undiscovered string of islands in some long-forgotten body of water and viola! With just a few tweaks this offseason, our 2-14 train wreck of a team was going to get back on the road to respectability.

And then Vince Young had to throw a monkey wrench into the proceedings.

Now the Texans’ offseason is being threatened by a tidal wave of burnt-orange rhetoric. Joining the committee to appoint Vince Young the Greatest Human Being in the Universe of Ever is the Houston Better Draft Vince Young (heretofore, the Greatest Human Being in the Universe of Ever) Or Else campaign.

And for the record I am a UT fan, but this Bush/Young thing has really made me want to trade down.. I admit last year I was wanting DJ but writing was on the wall when we signed Greenwood that DJ wasn't coming here.. Just like the writing is on the wall (barring some kind of trade or development unseen to us at this point in time) that Vince as good as he is, is not coming to Houston based on Kubiak's talk.

I wish he was staying at UT for another season but isn't and I wish he could be drafted by Houston but probably won't ... like someone posted getting Vince Young is like not having Carr and Bush(if we went that route)...

Lord, I hope we trade down because the way to beat a Bush or Young(we are going to face one of them one day) is a good defense (see Pittsburgh in the playoffs) .. That is what we need..

Let's Go UGLY this season.

Last edited by Wolf; 01-28-2006 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-28-2006   #2
stevo3883
All Pro

that guy went to A&M.

obviously anything about Texas makes him mad.

I'm sure before this year, he had Reggie McNeal as the #1 qb in the nation, and had A&M winning the big 12.
Old 01-28-2006   #3
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

I agree with you Wolf. It's not that I don't like VY or Bush, but there are more pressing needs than at RB and at QB.
Old 01-28-2006   #4
barzilla
Veteran

I didn't go the UT or A&M and I find all of it insufferable. Trade down wouldn't be bad and Bush wouldn't be bad. Heck, VY wouldn't be bad either. The point of the column was a good one even if a TAD of hyperbole was used.
Old 01-28-2006   #5
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I just don't want the team to become the late '80's Dolphins.It seemed like they kept drafting a RB year after year to compliment Marino..
Old 01-28-2006   #6
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883
that guy went to A&M.

I'm sure before this year, he had Reggie McNeal as the #1 qb in the nation, and had A&M winning the big 12.
Everything is about where you went to school huh?

We should abolish the name "Texans" and rename ourselves the Houston UT A&M Texas Tech conglomerate. Our colors can be Orange, Maroon, and Red. We could only draft players that come from one of these three schools.. this would undoubtably assure that we stay sold out every season..regardless of wins and losses (they arent important anyway..its about being from Texas)
Old 01-28-2006   #7
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Everything is about where you went to school huh?

We should abolish the name "Texans" and rename ourselves the Houston UT A&M Texas Tech conglomerate. Our colors can be Orange, Maroon, and Red. We could only draft players that come from one of these three schools.. this would undoubtably assure that we stay sold out every season..regardless of wins and losses (they arent important anyway..its about being from Texas)

ok that came out of nowhere and had nothing to do with what i said, but ok.

That aggy brain-washing goes a long way these days apparently.
Old 01-28-2006   #8
pskinny
Veteran

Quote:
that guy went to A&M.

Yeah, because nothing he said was true.

Those damn Aggies. Always so biased against us Longhorns.
Old 01-28-2006   #9
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskinny
Yeah, because nothing he said was true.

Those damn Aggies. Always so biased against us Longhorns.

some of it was, but he went so ridiculously overboard that it just got annoying to read.

What is worse, a guy who wants VY so bad he whines about it non-stop, or a guy who whines about not wanting VY non-stop?

they are both tired and annoying.
Old 01-28-2006   #10
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
some of it was, but he went so ridiculously overboard that it just got annoying to read.

What is worse, a guy who wants VY so bad he whines about it non-stop, or a guy who whines about not wanting VY non-stop?

they are both tired and annoying.
is this non stop whining about not wanting VY?

"Which is not to say Young isn’t the best choice for the Texans; he may very well be. Choosing between him and Bush is like being offered $1.39M or $1.4M – one is obviously more than the other… but the bottom line is that no matter which amount you choose, you’re still going to be a millionaire. So the Texans are in a win-win situation, choosing between Young and Bush,"

oh i know he didnt use vince and god in the same sentence. point noted.

i thought this was a funny and good point

"Also, this just in: Apparently Reggie Bush is overrated, primarily because he played in the weak Pac-10, not the mighty Big 12, where he would have faced powerhouses like Kansas and Baylor. By the way, that Young’s crowning moment came against USC, which just happens to call the previously dis’ed Pac-10 home, is irrelevant"
Old 01-28-2006   #11
stevo3883
All Pro

"If you haven’t yet noticed, Longhorn alumni tend to be vociferous, opinionated and quite passionate about their alma mater. They’re also endlessly obnoxious and insufferable. They’re obnoxiously insufferable. And you’re going to hear from them a lot in the months leading up to the draft now that their savior has decided to go pro. And I mean a lot.

I know this because it won’t be the first time they’ve made their presence known concerning the local football team. They seem hell-bent on turning the Texans’ roster into some kind of postgraduate extension of their university."

this is textbook aggy whining.
Old 01-28-2006   #12
Wolf
100% Texan

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns
Old 01-28-2006   #13
stevo3883
All Pro

"Charles Robinson is an award-winning writer who has covered the NFL for newspapers in Michigan and Florida. He also has extensive experience reporting on college football. He graduated from Michigan State with a degree in journalism."

ok so #1- hes from Michigan. #2 he covers the NFL. #3 its for Yahoo sports(i could write for yahoo)...

this leads me to believe he has seen Vince Young play maybe 3 times total in his career.
Old 01-28-2006   #14
stevo3883
All Pro

"He's another guy who is expected to run in the 4.55 range in the 40 and, from the scouting buzz, is more likely to be a safety than Virginia Tech's Williams. "

this is his scouting report on Michael Huff.

this is all I need to see to judge his credibility... Huff runs track for UT and is argueably the 2nd fastest on the team. 4.55?? more like sub 4.4
Old 01-28-2006   #15
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Your face is so buried in the jock of every UT alum, im surprised you are capable of seeing the screen to type your bias opinions.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...chaelhuff.html
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings....php?pyid=8772

sub 4.4 my ***.
Old 01-28-2006   #16
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Your face is so buried in the jock of every UT alum, im surprised you are capable of seeing the screen to type your bias opinions.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...chaelhuff.html
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings....php?pyid=8772

sub 4.4 my ***.
both of those are estimated times, just wait until the combine. I promise you Huff runs under a 4.45 and probably under 4.4.

and talk about biased opinions.. I use facts, im not some angry aggy that is mad everyone loves the dang TU!

No matter what a longhorn does, aggys like you will find a way to hate on them out of pure spite, its pathetic and sad.

yall would rather tear down the longhorns than cheer for your own team... sad
Old 01-28-2006   #17
Grid
Hall of Fame

lol.. you make a lot of suppositions.. its not surprising considering the quality of your education though.

I dont tear down UT.. I have no issue with UT.. I have an issue with the UT grads who come in here spouting nonesense about Vince Young, claiming they are long time fans who will quit following the team, and starting petitions to try and force the Texans to pick their guy "or else".

You are the only one here who cant rise above a school rivalry.

and if you "used facts" as you claim.. then you wouldnt have

A) Claimed Huff runs a 4.4 and that anyone who claims anything else is wrong, when you cant prove it.

B) Said it was "aggie whining" in regards to the comments the writer made about UT fans suddenly showing up and trying to turn the Texans into a post-graduate extention of UT.. when if you just look around it is blatantly obvious that there is a glut of new posters whos only contribution to the team is "draft Vince Young or else"

C) argued that everyone against Young is wrong because of what school they went to.

You base nothing on fact.. you base everything on your own personal feelings towards every school and player that isnt UT.
Old 01-28-2006   #18
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

I'm a current Aggie and I have no problems with UT. I have a ton of friends at UT, in fact most of my highschool buddies went there. UT has had better sports teams than A&M as long as I've been here, but it doesn't burn us up as bad as you think. Some of us are more concerned with an education than the record of our athletic teams. There are some Aggie's who care more about tearing down UT than our own teams winning, and unfortunately some of them are very vocal, but I assure you they are not the majority at our school. That said, Kubiak left his A&M allegiance once he began in the NFL. He's going to do what he thinks is best for our team, regardless of where they went to school
Old 01-28-2006   #19
stevo3883
All Pro

ahh, we shall see on combine day about Huff. I PROMISE you, that he is faster than Vince, and is the 3rd-4th fastest on the team.

I dont hate on any players from other schools because of where they played, thats just ridiculous and childish. I try to judge players based on how they play *gasp what a concept* I might make a 'Real Deal McNeal' joke every now and then, but its for fun.

This 'glut' of new posters saying "get vy or else" totals about 5 from what ive seen. ignore them. Its the people that get all up in arms over these very few that make it all worse.

i mean, jesus a thread got like 150 replies because some guy said "GEt VY or else!" why must everyone get so offensive over some guy saying he only wants vince? hes obviously a much bigger CFB than NFL fan, so let him do as he pleases.
Old 01-28-2006   #20
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead83
I'm a current Aggie and I have no problems with UT. I have a ton of friends at UT, in fact most of my highschool buddies went there. UT has had better sports teams than A&M as long as I've been here, but it doesn't burn us up as bad as you think. Some of us are more concerned with an education than the record of our athletic teams. There are some Aggie's who care more about tearing down UT than our own teams winning, and unfortunately some of them are very vocal, but I assure you they are not the majority at our school. That said, Kubiak left his A&M allegiance once he began in the NFL. He's going to do what he thinks is best for our team, regardless of where they went to school
My best friend is at A&M, and he went for education (A&M education, talk about an oxymoron!) but I have heard all of the stories. He is a self-proclaimed 2%er and doesnt care that much about the team, but I hear all the stories about grown men hissing at other men.

Heard about a guy that was 'arrogant' enough to have a longhorn sticker on his back window when he drove to the game in college station- needless to say his window was bashed in and 2 tires were slashed so he would have to get towed out.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read