Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-28-2006   #1
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kubiak to put team's future in pals' hands

At some point during Gary Kubiak's proper upbringing, his parents surely told him always to choose his friends wisely.

Texans fans should hope he did.

Some of the assistant coaches Kubiak is considering adding to his staff are not exactly widely acclaimed and proven NFL commodities.

Some of Kubiak's hires would be a hard sell for most other head coaches. They make you go, "Who?"

They are his buds. They are his trusted confidants and people with whom Kubiak has had long relationships, sharing coaching offices and coaching dreams all along Kubiak's 14-year climb to the top of his profession.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...z/3618858.html

This is something that I know I and others have grumbled about, but Kubiak does deserve his leeway as he earned the job. However, that does not mean he gets a pass if individuals and units don't get better next year. That will reside on right on Kubiak's shoulders.
Old 01-28-2006   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Some of the assistant coaches Kubiak is considering adding to his staff are not exactly widely acclaimed and proven NFL commodities.

Some of Kubiak's hires would be a hard sell for most other head coaches. They make you go, "Who?"

They are his buds. They are his trusted confidants and people with whom Kubiak has had long relationships, sharing coaching offices and coaching dreams all along Kubiak's 14-year climb to the top of his profession.
uh-oh Not forming an opinion here...it's just interesting news...

Quote:
This is something that I know I and others have grumbled about, but Kubiak does deserve his leeway as he earned the job. However, that does not mean he gets a pass if individuals and units don't get better next year. That will reside on right on Kubiak's shoulders.
Indeed....just keep reminding us, though.

Yeah, I don't want to make any judgment calls at this point, either. Simply because Kubiak deserves the benefit of the doubt. And who knows, it might all work out. Of course we all hope so, too.

But this is a little unorthodox, which is unsettling to fans because it's uncharted waters. We have a right to be a little nervous.

In Kubiak we trust.
Old 01-28-2006   #3
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

Here's my thing about hiring friends as assistents; I would want the people I trust to do the best job possible, and the ones I can talk to the easiest.
Old 01-28-2006   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

they are also the coaches that he knows the most about..he knows how they are going to coach. You dont want to bring in a guy who is a big name, only to have him come in and insist on coaching the players in a way you disagree with.

Im fine with it so far.. though I agree with the reporter that he needs to bring in an experienced coach or two to temper the youth in the staff.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #5
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

The hiring pool is thin.

But Capers had his buddy at D-Coord. and that didn't work out so good.

It will take time. Good players make mediocre coaches look good. Lets just hope we get some good players around here to add to 5 or 6 we got
Old 01-28-2006   #6
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 52676 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

The question is, would Kubiak make a change if it doesn't work out? IMO, that's what got Capers fired. Loyalty to your friends is one thing. Keeping your dream NFL head coaching job is another. And if they're really your friends, they'd understand.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #7
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
This is something that I know I and others have grumbled about, but Kubiak does deserve his leeway as he earned the job.
I would dispute that. I don't like the idea of a former OC coach with spotty success with his previous team and no head coaching experience coming in here and cutting his teeth on a team that I pay good money to watch in terms of season tix. If I were to hire someone for any position, the first thing I would do is look for somebody who had experience at the same job. After all, it's one thing to watch somebody work the Slurpee machine and another thing to actually operate it.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-29-2006   #8
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

I read that story too. I am just a touch concerned about that. I trust Kubiak's choices at this point. He hasn't giving me a reason to doubt him.
Old 01-29-2006   #9
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

It is a matter of trust. Just like Kubiak is trusting the people he is bringing in to help us win. The bottom line to me is that I believe Kubiak is committed to winning and so I trust he is making the decisions that he feels will get us there.

I think we all know, If it all works out as he has envisioned, he will be called a genuis.
Old 01-29-2006   #10
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 54346 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
The question is, would Kubiak make a change if it doesn't work out? IMO, that's what got Capers fired. Loyalty to your friends is one thing. Keeping your dream NFL head coaching job is another. And if they're really your friends, they'd understand.
Speedy...Where did you find that Gamblers Logo?
Old 01-30-2006   #11
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
At some point during Gary Kubiak's proper upbringing, his parents surely told him always to choose his friends wisely.

Texans fans should hope he did.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...z/3618858.html

Isn't hiring guys you have worked with in the past, the rule not the exception?

This hardly seems like breaking news.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006   #12
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a prety simple one for me. Kubiak has earned the job as HC of the Texans, and whomever he brings in is the person he believes will be the best available, not only from a experience standpoint, but also because, as with any other team, the components needs to be on the same page and have the same mindset and focus. Kubiak is IMO the ONLY person that has any idea of whom will be the best fit in his system, coaching style and mentality.

If we trust in Kubiak as a coach, we must trust his choices too.
At least until next off-season
Old 01-30-2006   #13
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan
But Capers had his buddy at D-Coord. and that didn't work out so good.
He also had his buddy at offensive line coach the first two years. That was a disaster.

He also brought in his buddy to take over the interior offensive line after the first buddy failed - which created all kinds of chaos on the offense and ended up getting Palmer and all the buddies fired except for one. That didn't turn out too well, before the firings at least.

Coach Joe turned out to be the only buddy that worked out.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006   #14
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Quote:
After all, it's one thing to watch somebody work the Slurpee machine and another thing to actually operate it.
My suspicions have been confirmed
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006   #15
Beer and Metal
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20683 Beer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respected

A few days before the battle of Midway:

"Admiral Halsey, who will command the task force?"

"Ray Spruance"

"But Admiral! He's a destroyer man! He's never commanded a carrier task force!?"

"He knows the tactics. And that's who I want."

Thank goodness the worry-warts didn't sway that decision.
Beer and Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006   #16
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
I would dispute that. I don't like the idea of a former OC coach with spotty success with his previous team and no head coaching experience coming in here and cutting his teeth on a team that I pay good money to watch in terms of season tix. If I were to hire someone for any position, the first thing I would do is look for somebody who had experience at the same job. After all, it's one thing to watch somebody work the Slurpee machine and another thing to actually operate it.

I agree with you that just because someone is a good coordinator they aren't necessarily going to be a good head coach. Dom Capers comes to mind. However, how do you know until you hire someone? I don't know where your idea that Kubiak had spotty success comes from. Is the Pittsburgh game where you are basing your entire opinion from? I posted in another thread and someone else was kind enough to elaborate, but in the 11 years since he was OC with the Broncos they rank #1 in scoring offense and #1 in yards over the 11 years. I'll take that kind of "spotty" any day.

Who would you want to hire as HC if it was up to you? Someone who just got fired? The only coach that was fired in this offseason that I think should still be a HC is Sherman. He got a raw deal from Ted Thompson. The rest of them aren't good HCs. Basically...we already know they can't work the Slurpee machine.
Old 01-30-2006   #17
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I don't mind if he hires his friends as long as he is willing to fire them if they don't get the job done.
Old 01-30-2006   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
I don't mind if he hires his friends as long as he is willing to fire them if they don't get the job done.
Word. This is one of the benchmarks of a great coach. Is he willing to do make the tough decisions at the end of the day? Only time will reveal the answer to this question.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read