Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-27-2006   #1
Texas_Heat
Veteran

Default MERRIL HODGE on Vince Young

He's saying he has watched game film on vince and say's "vince would be a 1st round pick if he was going as a reciever".He states that once NFL teams watch his game film he will fall to the second round.
Greatest Metal Bands: #1 VENOM # 2 SLAYER.
Texas_Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #2
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

was this on TV or can you link us to an article?.. id like to be able to quote this
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #3
Keldar
Veteran

Oh brother, here we go with the Hodge lynching.
Keldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #4
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 684 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

That's a very interesting opinion, but I doubt it's accurate...If guys like Jason Campbell, Patrick Ramsey, Kyle Boller, and JP Losman can be first rounders, I don't see why Young won't be...He has a much higher upside than any of them...That said, I would take him in a heartbeat at 33...
Old 01-27-2006   #5
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

So he's admitting that no one teams (and apparently no media) have actually watched game film of Vince? Quelle surprise.

Maybe he should call Nick Saban and asks what he thinks about Vince as a WR now.
Old 01-27-2006   #6
Texas_Heat
Veteran

Can't find a link, but He said it.

it's on Espn boards too.
http://forums.espn.go.com/espn/threa...ostID=18927895
Greatest Metal Bands: #1 VENOM # 2 SLAYER.
Texas_Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #7
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 684 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Heat
, but man there sure are some a-holes on that board...Really makes me appreciate what we have here ...
Old 01-27-2006   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's saying he has watched game film on vince and say's "vince would be a 1st round pick if he was going as a reciever".He states that once NFL teams watch his game film he will fall to the second round.
Thank YOU ! Hopefuly we won't be in this position again, picking #1 over all. I knew my eyes weren't lieing. Don't be surprise if he falls like a rock. I'm rewatching game tapes to see what I'm missing. figguring I'm getting old, driving myself nutz..he he. He is a rare athelete. and he has the chance to be something special. But it's going to take a lot of time. Kubes only has four years to get her done. If we take VY I'll suppoprt the pick. Just keep buying those tickets VY fans so I don't get my sunday ticket blacked out, lol.
gonna be a while befor those scalpers are happy.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #9
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

I think Vince will be a better version of Randall Cunningham, which is very good. A guy that tried to put his team on his shoulders constantly, but never really did anything, because he did not have a team around him. Discount the Morten Anderson miss. Either way Hodge is right though if you watch Vince's gametape, you see that he has a way to go, but he is no were near a second rounder. If he would have been in Mike Vick's draft Vince would have been the number 1 pick. I think this draft puts him as 3.
Old 01-27-2006   #10
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I said before that I think he could slide to the bottom of the top 10.. there is alot of hype though and he has quality intangibles (leadership, confidence, etc..etc..).. so who knows. I think second round is a bit much, but I wouldnt be surprised to see him slide.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #11
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
I think Vince will be a better version of Randall Cunningham, which is very good. A guy that tried to put his team on his shoulders constantly, but never really did anything, because he did not have a team around him. Discount the Morten Anderson miss. Either way Hodge is right though if you watch Vince's gametape, you see that he has a way to go, but he is no were near a second rounder. If he would have been in Mike Vick's draft Vince would have been the number 1 pick. I think this draft puts him as 3.
The issue as I see it with VY is that to make it work for him an offense would have to be made up for him (scouts and a couple of coaches have said that). What that means is that something that isn't being used now in the NFL would have to be created with zero garantee that such an offense would even work. The coaches in the NFL are conservative by nature and I very much doubt that they would climb out on a very suspect limb to do something that no one else has done just so some rookie QB could do his thing and its almost impossible to imagine a new, 1st time coach trying that. Can you imagine how his career would go if that blew up on him? He would never get a chance to be anything but a water boy after that. Add to that concerns about VY ability to assimilate a difficult offense (had to have the simple zone read dumbed down for him) and some reports that he wouldn't follow Mack Browns coaching and you have a situation where, while he may be an interesting athlete, there is a more than modest possibilty he could go much lower in the draft than some expect. With Cutler now in the picture, the two most likely QB clubs, NO and Titans, may opt to take SAFER and quicker routs and if that happens and NYJ think their OK with Pennington, VY could drop a long way, like Rogers did last year.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #12
Afrokid
Rookie

i think college players shouldn't give opinions about other college players. Do they realize that they are in college and not the pros? Hodge might go into the NFL and totally suck. While vince might redefine the QB position, or vice versa. So why cant all college players keep their mouths shut ^_^ What would really be funny if they end up on the same team o.o
Afrokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #13
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

I believe you're thinking of a different Hodge.

Merrill Hodge (the one that apparently made the comments) has been retired from the NFL for a number of years.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The obvious player to compare VY with is Matt Jones. Very simply, how does
VY rank as a passer with Jones and his college career as a passing QB in Arkansas ? Jones was of course drafted in the second half of the 1st round
as a WR. Was Jones a better passer at Arkansas than VY has been at Texas ? If VY was no better passer than Jones, then Hodge clearly has a point.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #15
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Hodge is a bonehead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
The obvious player to compare VY with is Matt Jones. Very simply, how does
VY rank as a passer with Jones and his college career as a passing QB in Arkansas ? Jones was of course drafted in the second half of the 1st round
as a WR. Was Jones a better passer at Arkansas than VY has been at Texas ? If VY was no better passer than Jones, then Hodge clearly has a point.

This was discussed before--VY is way better than Jones:

Previous discussion of Jones v. Young

From a statistical standpoint, Matt Jones and Vince Young in their last year of college aren't even close:

Vince Young (last college season), Drafted ???? 6 5 230 lbs

3036 passing yards
65.2 completion percentage
325 attempts for 212 completions, 9.3 av yards per attempt
26 passing TDs with 10 INTs
155 rushes for 1050 yards, 6.8 av yards per attempt, 12 rushing TDs

Matt Jones (last college season), Drafted 21st (round 1) 6'6" 242 lbs

2073 passing yards
57.2 completion percentage
264 attempts for 151 completions, 7.9 av yards per attempt
15 passing TDs with 12 INTs
83 rushes for 622 yards, 7.5 av yards per attempt, 6 rushing TDs

I don't see why this is even a point. VY had the best regular season completion percentage out of all division I QBs, the first guy to go over 3000 yards passing, and 1000 yards running (even after being pulled out of a lot of games because they scored too much too quickly), why the heck would he ever want to play WR???

It is a peculiar point of view to me. People said the same sorts of things about Steve McNair's development, wondering how he would do with more complicated NFL defenses and higher quality players he would be facing, and wondered how he would make it in the NFL--and his QB stats have been pretty consistently good throughout his NFL career.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #16
Spoda
Veteran

first ..hodge was an nfl player..he played for his beloved steelers...hes on that nfl edge with jaws and suzy kolber on espn....2nd...if everyone would just take a deep breath...take down the burnt orange flag....pretend vince is not from houston....everyone should realize that out of the 6 studs vince IS the most risky pick...i know he has huuuuge upside....but if you were really going to put your own cash on it...with no odds..vince is too risky...i would say brick mario hawk are sure fore pros...maybe not the superstar that vick could be..but really good pros...leinart seems to be not flashy but not as risky...he did torch the texas D...and bush while i don't want him seems to be at the very least a sneak attack screening slanting monster...but vince is just too damn risky to use the #1 pick in a draft that has so many other options..oh ya and there's carr
Old 01-28-2006   #17
Spoda
Veteran

in fairness to matt jones VS vince comparison..my wifes whole family is from the inbred state so i watched every painstaking moment of arkansas season...he had no talent around him...none...you think texas had no receivers?? the only player he had was hobbs the HB..and he was hurt..a lot
...i think vince will play qb...maybe he'll be great..maybe not...but i think we need a player...someone who can't bust...or at least has a better than most chance not to..and that's mario/hawk/brick...IMO
Old 01-28-2006   #18
Tale Gator
________

Rep Power: 15 Tale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden cover

I'm waiting on William 'Refrigerator' Perry's opinion on were Vince should go in the draft.
Tale Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #19
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoda
in fairness to matt jones VS vince comparison..my wifes whole family is from the inbred state so i watched every painstaking moment of arkansas season...he had no talent around him...none...you think texas had no receivers?? the only player he had was hobbs the HB..and he was hurt..a lot
...i think vince will play qb...maybe he'll be great..maybe not...but i think we need a player...someone who can't bust...or at least has a better than most chance not to..and that's mario/hawk/brick...IMO
It is funny. Before the season, people thought that VY would have a bad junior year because his receiver talent decreased from the year before and his receivers were not very experienced.

There are no players who "can't bust." I understand the people who think that the Texans do not need VY, but personally I think he will be a great NFL player and there is nothing in his college career that really suggests otherwise.

Oh, and I would like to add that you can't trust the NFL opinions of somebody who has Hodge's hair. It makes you question their judgment.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #20
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoda
first ..hodge was an nfl player..he played for his beloved steelers...hes on that nfl edge with jaws and suzy kolber on espn....2nd...if everyone would just take a deep breath...take down the burnt orange flag....pretend vince is not from houston....everyone should realize that out of the 6 studs vince IS the most risky pick...i know he has huuuuge upside....but if you were really going to put your own cash on it...with no odds..vince is too risky...i would say brick mario hawk are sure fore pros...maybe not the superstar that vick could be..but really good pros...leinart seems to be not flashy but not as risky...he did torch the texas D...and bush while i don't want him seems to be at the very least a sneak attack screening slanting monster...but vince is just too damn risky to use the #1 pick in a draft that has so many other options..oh ya and there's carr
Very good points Spoda. And you nailed it when you emphasized you do not
go experimenting with the #1 overall pick in the NFL Draft, no matter the potential of the player or no matter if he's a favorite son of the teams city.
And if you have to go with one guy, take down side into consideration as
much as potential when considering your choice.
Clearly the safest, most prudent, and therefor wisest move would to be
trade it for multiple first day picks and thereby eliminate the risk of a
of getting nothing from your pick because a single player could be a bust.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read