Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-27-2006   #1
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

Default Was working with Carr a requirement for the new coach?

It really seems like the Texans and Bob McNair in particular are REALLY stuck on David Carr. I read repeatedly where one of the main points during the interview process for the new coaching position was focused on David Carr. which I can understand b/c he is the current QB. But it almost seems like McNair was only looking for people who LIKED and was willing to work with Carr. And I'm willing to bet if they didn't like Carr or had any doubts about thim they were shown the door.

These thoughts were pretty much validated yesterday during the press conference and post press conference. I was really sort of taken back with Kubiak and McNair's comments during yesterday's press conference. I really thought they would side step all questions related to players & draft picks. Not only did they NOT do that, they basically told the whole world how they commited to David Carr. McNair went so far as to compare Carr with Brady and Peyton Manning. LOL!!!

I'm not saying Carr can't turn it around and I sure hope he does if he sticks around. And I am NOT a VY advocate either (in fact I prefer Bush). But it just seems to me the Texans should be a little more open minded about this situation and truley evaluate everything before they come out and make public comments like that. If nothing else be quiet so other teams are in suspense and might pay more for your #1 pick if you choose to trade it! Of course maybe they are pulling the wool over everyone's eyes and really do want VY. But I doubt Casserly is that smart. He has a hard enough time making the most simple decisions as it is....
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Ask yourself this question: Would Kubiak, who has been offered numerous HC jobs in the NFL and college, put himself in a position where his head coaching career is based upon keeping one player?

Perhaps the fact that he is a former NFL QB who played behind a Hall of Famer, in addition to being an offensive "genius" as an OC, might have influenced Mr. McNair's decision. Who knows? Perhaps.

But then again, I think Mr. McNair wants to win, and no single player is going to be so high on his list that he's willing to sacrifice his billion dollar investment for said player.

Think about it....this is the NFL, where winning is all that really matters...do you honestly think that either Kubiak or McNair would put their futures into the hands of one player if they didn't think he had what it takes to succeed?

We've got to take the leap of blind faith, because our head coach believes in our QB. We either trust his judgement, or we don't. But Kubiak has a LOT more riding on his decision than we do, so why worry about it?

In Kubiak we trust!
Old 01-27-2006   #3
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I say No.

Word was that they asked every candidate they interviewed, if they felt Carr could be a successful QB in the NFL. Every candidate said "Yes, without a doubt".

I do think the Texans want to be successful with Carr. If VY hadn't declared for the draft, everyone would have been on board with drafting Bush.
Old 01-27-2006   #4
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
Ask yourself this question: Would Kubiak, who has been offered numerous HC jobs in the NFL and college, put himself in a position where his head coaching career is based upon keeping one player?

Perhaps the fact that he is a former NFL QB who played behind a Hall of Famer, in addition to being an offensive "genius" as an OC, might have influenced Mr. McNair's decision. Who knows? Perhaps.

But then again, I think Mr. McNair wants to win, and no single player is going to be so high on his list that he's willing to sacrifice his billion dollar investment for said player.

Think about it....this is the NFL, where winning is all that really matters...do you honestly think that either Kubiak or McNair would put their futures into the hands of one player if they didn't think he had what it takes to succeed?

We've got to take the leap of blind faith, because our head coach believes in our QB. We either trust his judgement, or we don't. But Kubiak has a LOT more riding on his decision than we do, so why worry about it?

In Kubiak we trust!
Pardon the interruption of your little love fest, but perhaps a couple of facts might fit in here. Kubiak was a QB in the sense that he carried a clipboard for 9 years in the pros. He's a genius as an OC insofar as he worked for Mike Shanahan, a genius who actually designed and ran the offense. The NFL head coaching jobs are impossibly hard to get , so if the quid pro quo for getting the job is keeping Carr, then most coaches would keep Carr, thinking that he can't be THAT bad. Finally, McNair, like Casserly, has already invested a lot in Carr. He's wed to the good family man part, too, apparently. McNair may not be a genius where football is concerned.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #5
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If VY hadn't declared for the draft, everyone would have been on board with drafting Bush.
If a Ferrari hadn't declared for the draft, everyone would have been on board with drafting a Cadillac.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #6
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:

In Kubiak we trust!

Despite what Nighthawk believes, you are correct.
Old 01-27-2006   #7
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:

In Kubiak we trust!
I agree with everything you said. Thanks for typing it for me!
Old 01-27-2006   #8
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's Busted Carr
And I'm willing to bet if they didn't like Carr or had any doubts about thim they were shown the door.
Why do you think ALL the coaches said they could work with Carr and he had potential? Would you honestly expect any coach being interviewed to say "No, I don't think I can ever make Carr a great QB." If they did, that would be a stupid thing to say.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
Pardon the interruption of your little love fest, but perhaps a couple of facts might fit in here. Kubiak was a QB in the sense that he carried a clipboard for 9 years in the pros. He's a genius as an OC insofar as he worked for Mike Shanahan, a genius who actually designed and ran the offense.
"Lovefest"?

Before you spew any more ignorant attempts to troll me, you might want to verify your information.

Kubiak designed and called the offensive plays in Denver according to Coach Shanahan.

Get your "facts" straight next time. Otherwise you're just another worthless troll around here.
Old 01-27-2006   #10
profan
Veteran

There is going to be alot of pressure on carr next year and the fans will have little patience. This will be increased if vince young starts lighting up. I personally feel that McNair's feeling guilty about screwing carr up and feels obligated to keep him. Carr will be given the starting job again. I just hope it all works out, because not only are we passing up one of the greatest talents coming out of college in a long time, we will be allowing this talent to go to the opponent. Bud is licking his chops.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought that would be the case months ago and would be a concern with quality candidates. I got lambasted for it. However, I think getting Kubiak puts DC on notice, but what bugs me is that it will kill us if that guy does not pan out or gets injured.

What it boils down to is I that I just don't have that feeling in the gut about Carr likes other do given the fiscal impact of his contract on the cap.
Old 01-27-2006   #12
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

As has been posted above, I would trust the opinion of all the coaches that interviewed for the job, all of whom said Carr could be a great QB, above most on this board. Meanwhile, its becoming disgusting how people try to drag down people like Kubiak, questioning his credentials and skills because he supports Carr. Just because Gary beleives in Carr does not mean he is overrated or a coat-tailler, riding on John Elway, Steve Young and Mike Shanahan's sucecess...
Old 01-27-2006   #13
bayshorebevo
Veteran

"Word was that they asked every candidate they interviewed, if they felt Carr could be a successful QB in the NFL. Every candidate said "Yes, without a doubt"."

When I read in the paper McNair & Casserly were saying that to prove the point about keeping Carr, my first thought was "right, a guy that wants a job as head coach is going to say he can't win with Carr. if he says no, he's calling everybody a fool for drafting him. He would be committing professional suicide. I'm sure anybody applying for HC would have to answer that question the way McNair & Casserly want to hear it if they planned on getting hired.

David has a strong arm and he's smart. He's also a good guy. Last year he was horrible as a QB & took a couple steps backwards. He needs to develop leadership qualities, stop running out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage and get more confidence. He is capable of that, it's up to him to get it done.
bayshorebevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #14
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
"Lovefest"?

Before you spew any more ignorant attempts to troll me, you might want to verify your information.

Kubiak designed and called the offensive plays in Denver according to Coach Shanahan.

Get your "facts" straight next time. Otherwise you're just another worthless troll around here.
Sorry, pal, despite what Shanahan said when supporting Kubiak's job search, it is well known in the league and to anybody watching Denver play who is in control of the offense. And I'm not tolling you, I'm simply trying to provide a reality check. Kubiak may be an offensive genius, but he's never had the opportunity to show it on his own, so it shouldn't be slapped around as if it were a credential. Ditto his "playing" in the NFL. He's been a good assistant on a good club working for a control freak offensive genius.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayshorebevo
"Word was that they asked every candidate they interviewed, if they felt Carr could be a successful QB in the NFL. Every candidate said "Yes, without a doubt"."
I'd honestly like a valid source for that quote, and not just some Chronicle hack trying to speculate up a story. I'd really like verification from a legit Texans source that this was part of the interview and part of the final decision making process.

Charlie Palillo said this story was fabricated, because no organization will base their HC decision on one player. Matter-of-fact, I remember Casserly shooting this one down on a radio interview, as well.

Sure, they probably asked about Carr, just like they probably asked about a number of Texans players. But basing the decision solely on the "Carr-question" just makes no sense from a solid business perspective. None of it is logical, which is what sets my alarm bells off.
Old 01-27-2006   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Sorry, pal, despite what Shanahan said when supporting Kubiak's job search, it is well known in the league and to anybody watching Denver play who is in control of the offense. And I'm not tolling you, I'm simply trying to provide a reality check. Kubiak may be an offensive genius, but he's never had the opportunity to show it on his own, so it shouldn't be slapped around as if it were a credential. Ditto his "playing" in the NFL. He's been a good assistant on a good club working for a control freak offensive genius.
Dude, go to the Broncos website. Kubiak has been calling 98% of the offensive play for YEARS. yeah, I'm sure the entire Broncos organization is on in this little conspiracy of yours.

You can also verify this information from a variety of news sources.

But nooooooo, Nighthawk has the inside information. Whatever.

Go hate somewhere else. It's not working here.
Old 01-27-2006   #17
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Is it just me or does the board have an "ESPN board" feel to it now? jeez......
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Sorry, pal, despite what Shanahan said when supporting Kubiak's job search, it is well known in the league and to anybody watching Denver play who is in control of the offense. And I'm not tolling you, I'm simply trying to provide a reality check.
Then here is YOUR reality check (and this one won't bounce!):

Quote:
Early in the week, Spurrier resorted to asking advice from another head coach, Denver Broncosí Mike Shanahan. Spurrier, portrayed by many as arrogant when it comes to his offense, wanted to know how Shanahan handled play-calling duties with Broncosí offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak.

When Shanahan told Spurrier that the Broncos immediately won two Super Bowls when Kubiak took over calling plays, the second-year Redskinsí coach didnít need any more convincing.
Source - dated November 11, 2003

Want more? I've got lots of REAL news sources to quote from, not just the voices in your head.
Old 01-27-2006   #19
Bronco Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 29 Bronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Bronco Texan Send a message via Yahoo to Bronco Texan

Being the biggest Denver fan here I feel I should step in. Look Koobs wouldn't of taken this job if he didn't feel he was the difference maker. He wouldn't take it if he wasn't the one running things. He had a good thing going in Denver and was in no hurry to take a team if he didn't feel it was the right situation. Plus Koobs was responsible for implementing the game plan every week. He did call plays along with Shanahan. I believe they had a partnership in this duties, but Mike trusted Gary so whatever Gary brought up Mike knew it was the best for the team.
Bronco Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #20
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd honestly like a valid source for that quote, and not just some Chronicle hack trying to speculate up a story. I'd really like verification from a legit Texans source that this was part of the interview and part of the final decision making process.

Charlie Palillo said this story was fabricated, because no organization will base their HC decision on one player. Matter-of-fact, I remember Casserly shooting this one down on a radio interview, as well.

Sure, they probably asked about Carr, just like they probably asked about a number of Texans players. But basing the decision solely on the "Carr-question" just makes no sense from a solid business perspective. None of it is logical, which is what sets my alarm bells off.
The thread asked if the coaching decision was based on Carr. It was not a condition. I only said the question was asked of each candidate, as I'm sure they asked of other players. The Texans have a lot invested in Carr. He was the overall #1 pick, but they're not going to make their coaching decision on Carr. And it's irrelevant anyway, if each candidate says Carr can be successful in the NFL.

I would love to see the transcript of the interviews, so someone please post them when they're available. Maybe Charlie Palillo has them.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read