Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-27-2006   #1
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Sinorice Moss

I'm a fan. I know we have Mathis (promising but unpolished)... but I think Moss could be a great #2. I really don't buy the big bias against smaller receivers, having witnessed the success of Deion Branch, Steve Smith, and Santana Moss. If you don't take Bush, grabbing him at #36 would help with the team's explosiveness. If they have ridiculous skills, I like the undersized WRs. I think Moss/AJ would make for a duo to rival Wayne/Harrison and Housh/CJ. If you trade down to improve the line/defense, you'd be taking a potential gamebreaker with maybe your 4th pick in the draft.

I also like Hass out of Oregon St. in the 3rd or 4th if we take Bush. He might not possess elite athleticism, but he's a winner and he got the job done with a huge target on his back this year. With a good receiver in the backfield (be it DD or RB) and AJ, I think Hass could succeed.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #2
Glacier
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Toro
I'm a fan. I know we have Mathis (promising but unpolished)... but I think Moss could be a great #2. I really don't buy the big bias against smaller receivers, having witnessed the success of Deion Branch, Steve Smith, and Santana Moss.....

you left out a few.

Terry Glenn, Marvin Harrison, Tory Holt....

Smaller "scat" receivers work very well in some offenses.
Glacier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #3
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 684 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Toro
I'm a fan. I know we have Mathis (promising but unpolished)... but I think Moss could be a great #2. I really don't buy the big bias against smaller receivers, having witnessed the success of Deion Branch, Steve Smith, and Santana Moss. If you don't take Bush, grabbing him at #36 would help with the team's explosiveness. If they have ridiculous skills, I like the undersized WRs. I think Moss/AJ would make for a duo to rival Wayne/Harrison and Housh/CJ. If you trade down to improve the line/defense, you'd be taking a potential gamebreaker with maybe your 4th pick in the draft.

I also like Hass out of Oregon St. in the 3rd or 4th if we take Bush. He might not possess elite athleticism, but he's a winner and he got the job done with a huge target on his back this year. With a good receiver in the backfield (be it DD or RB) and AJ, I think Hass could succeed.
In order to get him at 36, we'd have to trade down with the Jets, and I just don't see it happening...

As for Moss, I, too, am a fan of his, but I'm not sure he has the size to be an impact receiver...He is smaller than all of the receivers you listed...I don't know about using a second rounder on him, but if he's there in the third, I take him in a heartbeat...Even though he's small, he can get separation due to his good route running ability and he has explosive speed...
Old 01-27-2006   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I am a fan as well, but I would only consider him in a trade down scenario. If we go Bush I think a WR in the draft is moot point on day 1.
Old 01-27-2006   #5
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

WR is the least of our worries. And in the 2nd round, are you insane? We need alot of big boys. Guards, tackles, ends, TE's.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225226 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
And in the 2nd round, are you insane?
Folks, let's cut down on the assertions of insanity, drug use, etc. They don't add anything to the discussion.
Old 01-27-2006   #7
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

he is smaller, slower, and does not seperate as well as his brother. His brother did not have a great year until this year.

Siorence is worth nothing more than a 4th rounder to me. I still wouldnt take him there, I would go Steve Smith USC or Skyler Green LSU.
Old 01-27-2006   #8
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Santana Moss had a great 2003 as well (1100 yds, 10 tds, 15 ypc starting 12 games). He's averaged 1150 yards 8 TDs and 17 ypc for the last three years.

About his brother, from what has been said at the Senior Bowl practices, I don't know if he's slower than anybody in the draft... they say he is playing at a "different speed" and is eating up every corner 1 on 1 and in 7 on 7. ESPN has him at 4.30.

Not saying he's a must have for the Texans, but in a trade down situation, if he's hanging around at 35-40 he's tempting. The knock is his size, 5'8", but he's strong and can go over the middle, according to Scouts Inc. he doesn't play like a 5'8" guy because he can get to a lot of balls with his hands. Sure, he's a gamble. But I'll take a guy with all the skills and huge upside if the only knock is he's too short. I'd be worried if he was prototype size and couldn't catch or run routes.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #9
CITY CAT
Veteran

A Moss and AJ combo would make us have two Hurricane Wide Recievers. It would also give us 1 big reciever (Johnson) and 1 small reciever (Moss). The Carolina Panthers used the same forumula 3 years ago (Muhammed and Smith). However if we take Bush #1, we have to address the O-line in the later rounds.
CITY CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #10
CITY CAT
Veteran

Having a reviever named Moss can backfire though.
CITY CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #11
Texans>Colts
Veteran

Pick Chad Greenway if he is left in the 2nd round. Marcus Greenwood and Chad Greenway won't b a bad LB duo. I would try Moss in the 3rd and if he is not there go 4 richard marshell
Old 01-28-2006   #12
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Folks, let's cut down on the assertions of insanity, drug use, etc. They don't add anything to the discussion.

cut down?? are you on CRACK??

Old 01-28-2006   #13
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak

Noooooooo I love drug related posts.

Oh and I really do like Moss as well. I just dont think that he is the right pick for our situation. If he somehow fell to the third, id snatch him up though.
Old 01-29-2006   #14
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883
cut down?? are you on CRACK??

im just going to guess and say you're going to get banned for a day or so for that.

I would at least.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read