Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-27-2006   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Do college rivalries have a say in your Texans-based opinions?

Please be honest with this, as I'm very curious to see some of the answers to these questions. Once I have enough answers, I'll compile up the results and post them:

1. Are you happy with the hiring of Kubiak (Texas A&M alumni) as the new HC of the Texans?
2. Would you like the draft Reggie Bush, Vince Young, or trade down with the first pick in the NFL draft?
3. Did you go to Texas A&M, University of Texas, or another school?
4. Other than sports, do college rivalries help you make decisions in life?
5. Do you particularly dislike people/players from UT or A&M?

Please be honest to these, here are my answers:

1. Yes
2. Reggie Bush
3. Another School
4. No, my university was too small to have any rivalries
5. No, I've liked both longhorn and aggie players in the NFL thus far
Old 01-27-2006   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes
Trade
Another school - live in Austin (UT fan), married to an Aggie
No
No
Old 01-27-2006   #3
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Nope. I went to a small, crappy D3 school that had little in the way of athletics and almost no school pride. I like winning, no matter who gets us there. And I don't think a professional NFL coach discriminates against his potential players because of their alma mater. I have been to both UT and A&M multiple times, and while I can appreciate the rivalry and understand that it can last for years, I couldn't care less of Kubiak was from A&M or UT, and as far as building this franchise, I doubt he does either.

Edit: although I never liked OU, and generally disliked the time and people I got to know while there. Part of why I love watching Texas beat them down in the Red River Shootout. Thanks for nothing, Chris Simms.
Old 01-27-2006   #4
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll play:

1. Yes
2. Torn between them all actually. Young and Bush are great. Trading down to get Ferguson or Hawk....hmmm
3. Other
4. Ummm....no
5. No. I like good football players no matter where the play ball.
Old 01-27-2006   #5
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Yes, though I have my reservations about him
2. Trade down if at all possible
3. Another school -- Sam Houston, I plan on going to graduate school at Tech
4. Not at all, you have to be able to separate petty rivalries and real life situations
5. Again, not at all, we're all Texans, regardless of where we attended school
Old 01-27-2006   #6
djkennedy101
Rookie

1. Yes
2. Trade down
3. Other School
4. No
5. I love all Texas College Players
Old 01-27-2006   #7
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

1) Yes
2) I'll be OK with whoever they draft at #1, but I think a trade could benefit them more right now.
3) I went to a smaller TX Div 1AA school.
4) NO
5) I like both A&M, & UT
4Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-27-2006   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well this is interesting so far. I sort of thought all the VY support would come from UT and all the RB support would come from A&M just to spite UT. The feeling of the message board is so angry that maybe its just a few people constantly stirring the pot
Old 01-27-2006   #9
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texas fight, Texas fiiiiight........

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
Please be honest with this, as I'm very curious to see some of the answers to these questions. Once I have enough answers, I'll compile up the results and post them:

1. Are you happy with the hiring of Kubiak (Texas A&M alumni) as the new HC of the Texans?
2. Would you like the draft Reggie Bush, Vince Young, or trade down with the first pick in the NFL draft?
1. Yes. And then some.
2. Preference is VY, Bush and trade down in that order at this point. Trade down gets bumped up in my analysis if we get players as well as good picks but it would have to be really good and make sense.
3. Texas
4. Sometimes they make me buy football tickets to see a game, but no, not really. Married a Texas guy but not because of that.
5. Nope. I've liked players from both schools if they can play. And I don't have a player bias--for example, I was fine with the TJ over DJ pick. I do sometime think that friends of mine who are Ags are kinda weird sometimes though. But I am OK with weird.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #10
Tyr
Rookie

1. Yes
2. On the fence, curious to see FA (Reggie or Trade Down)
3. If things had worked out, UT.
4. No
5. No (I want the best players, regardless of school. Even if an Aggie or Sooner)
Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #11
chall8
Rookie

Interesting post... My responses:

Answer: Absolutely yes

Answer: Heart says VY, but head says trade down. Head should prevail.

UT graduate

Well...I don't wear or purchase maroon-colored shirts or vehicles... But if my kid told me they really wanted to go to A&M I wouldn't discourage. (If they told me they wanted to go to OU it would require some serious justification!).

No, not really... I'm not a big McKinney fan but it's b/c I get sick of listening to him (the guy has never seen an interview he didn't like), not b/c he's an Aggie. I liked Aaron Glenn a lot and he's an Aggie. Honestly though, I WOULD like to see this team get a Longhorn or two on the team. After all we are the "Texans". Not a show-killer, but just a little extra to cheer for. Also, I admit that it would be a little difficult if the team was completely dominated by Aggies (just as I'm sure Aggies wouldn't be as excited about a team with 5-6 Longhorns on it). But in the end I want Houston to go to the Super Bowl, whether they're from A&M, OU, or Mars.

Last edited by chall8; 01-27-2006 at 03:23 PM.
chall8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #12
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 79918 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Yes, but not because of where he's from.

2. Vince Young, admittedly partly because of where he's from and where he wants to be. It's the tie-breaker between three good options.

3. Another

4. No.

5. No. I love UT, but A&M is OK too.
Old 01-27-2006   #13
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Very much so.
2. My prefernce in order Trade, Bush then Young
3. Other, Texas Tech. As for UT and A&AM, my dad is calss of '67 in Austin, and my mom has adopted them since they got married. I was brain washed as a kid, and I still pull for UT every weekend they play unless they are playing Tech. Now factor those two in for my general opinion of teh Aggies, but my wife's borther is one; and in reality they are usaully good people. (minus the Corp )
4. No
5. No, see answer to #3
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #14
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 99071 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, why should it matter what school he went to?

Vince Young because I think he is going to be great at the NFL level and after being a "Carr optimist" for 3.5 years, my optimism has ran out. The Texans need someone to take charge behind center and after watching VY take over games week after week I am convinced he has that ability.

Guess what? I didn't go to UT. I went to Delaware however you never saw me in here screaming that the Texans should sign Rich Gannon. While I do root for UT and now live in Austin, I honestly came up with my screen name "Hookem Horns" because of the Bull on the Texans helmet, not UT.

That is silly however I KNOW that some Aggies are like that through my working relationships. I had one of them tell me they are biased towards other A&M grads in business dealings. Some of that A&M stuff is a little like a cult if you ask me. I don't get that vibe from UT alums that I know. That all being said, I don't hate A&M and never have.

Loved Aaron Glenn when he was here but now he plays for a team a disdain so that love is now gone. Just tell me what roster any UT or A&M player is on and I will tell you if I like him or not.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1. Yes
2. All of the above....probably lean towards trading down under the right deal
3. UofH
4. Nope
5. Nope, I could care less (have friends from both schools)
Old 01-27-2006   #16
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Really good thread.... too bad the real a-holes from the other threads won't post on it.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #17
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
1. I wish they would've got him the first time.

2. VY, followed by a trade down.

3. Another school... UT or A&M didn't have my program.

4. Hell no... it turns my stomach to think that people think this way... and they do.

5. The only people that I dislike are close-minded cretins that let their allegiance cloud their world-view. Neither school has a monopoly on these people.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #18
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

1 Yes. Best young coach in the league. 3 superbowl rings in 9 years. Awesome hire.

2. I am equally inclined towards both Bush and Trading down. I dont feel that a project QB is the right move for us at this point.

3. Currently at A&M

4. Hmm..that is debateable. Living in college station..I do have an aversion towards burnt orange colors . A burnt orange car is likely to get egged by some drunk aggies after a game.

5. Hmm.. no. Once a player hits the pros, all that matters to me is his abilities.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #19
Khari
Administrator

Section: Varies
Rep Power: 22660 Khari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1. yeah
2. reggie or trade down
3. um...a school in the A&M system, but I really don't affiliate with either
4. uh...nope
5. nope...i particularly hate college sports in general equally
Old 01-27-2006   #20
Long Baller
Rookie

1. Yes
2. Trade down
3. UT & UofH
4. No
5. No

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read