Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-27-2006   #1
bulldawgtexan
Rookie

Default You heard it here first....

I have an extremely reliable source that has informed me that the Texans are trading the number one pick. The decision has been made.
bulldawgtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #2
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

interesting!! I have a very reliable source also, and I haven't heard that at all.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #3
chall8
Rookie

No disrespect, but you're going to have to do better than that...

I do hope you are right though.
Old 01-27-2006   #4
Holden135
Veteran

I doubt any of you have reliable sources. Unless your name is Casserly, Kubiak or McNair you probobly have no idea what is going on. No team ever makes up their mind about a draft choice before the nfl combines and the senior bowl. I think free agency will have a lot to do with who we draft as well. You guys need to calm down about all the draft talk. We have quite a while before any decisions are made.
Holden135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #5
DRAMA
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAMA

Not gonna happen, Vince! Stop posting on these boards!!
DRAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #6
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

It is not that I don't believe you or your source, it is just that I would doubt the decision has been cast in stone a good three months prior to the fact. Especially before we have even seen the combine.

I would not be in the least upset if we made a solid trade, but I question how the decision has already been made.

Any further info on the nature of this trade, with whom and what we'll get?
Old 01-27-2006   #7
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawgtexan
I have an extremely reliable source that has informed me that the Texans are trading the number one pick. The decision has been made.
Well, I don't have an extremely reliable source - but I did listen to NFL live on ESPN and they said that trading down was the only answer to the Texan problems. They elaborated by saying that you couldn't win anything with the QB running for his life and that the OL had to learn how to protect a QB before anything else happened. This is a total paraphrase. This was after a very short interview with Kubiak. I tend to agree with them...I think.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-27-2006   #8
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Actually Mark Schlereth was the one who said that trading down was the only option. The other guy (can't remember his name. he was a former Cowboy) said that they should take Reggie Bush. There is a lot of disagreement everywhere on every show and there is a case for each argument.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan
interesting!! I have a very reliable source also, and I haven't heard that at all.
No offense to bulldawgtexan, but I'm more interested in what you've heard. Are you free to tell us anything?
Old 01-27-2006   #10
Daonly
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawgtexan
You're Anti-Reggie Bush, I checked all your posts, you making stuff up, your last ditch effort to save your faint Dreams to drafting Young or trading down, Sorry guy ;you dead meat on death row.
Daonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #11
Dime
Hall of Fame

I have heard from a awesome and reliable source that we are going to either Take Bush, or VY, or Lienhart, or trade down... SHhhhhhhhhh.. dont tell anyone...
Old 01-27-2006   #12
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #13
Dime
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daonly
You're Anti-Reggie Bush, I checked all your posts, you making stuff up, your last ditch effort to save your faint Dreams to drafting Young or trading down, Sorry guy ;you dead meat on death row.
Personally, If you have seen how much George Sr and George Jr has had to dodge stuff and speed run from other things, I think the Bush blood cant ever get tackled... hmm... Maybe we should take him..... Nahhhh... Trade down Baby!
Old 01-27-2006   #14
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like trading down but I dont see us getting good enough value in a trade to justify doing it. This year is TOOOO deep at alot of possitions to have people breaking the bank, especially at RB.
Old 01-27-2006   #15
Xman
Veteran

I think it is possible that we made a decision to consider trading down. Thats about it.

Besides, who will we deal with?
Especially before all the scouting has taken place.

By the way, I am tired of hearing all this "trade with the jets" and "after we trade with the Jets" talk. IF YOU were the Jets, would you trade with us? - - - NO.
Why not? Because,
(i) The Jets need a lot of players also
(ii) Jets are WAY over the cap and will suck another year no matter what - which means giving up a #1 next year would be a big mistake (especially with O'Quin and APeterson sitting there),
(iii) the 4th pick fills a need with a stud player (the Jets need a LOT, QB, RB and DE (assuming Abraham is let go or traded because they can't afford to keep him).
(iv) cap problems - they are way over the cap and larger contracts will be harder to deal with.

Why trade up when they can fill a huge need and keep their #1 pick next year.
So, not happening. Unless we deal the #1 pick cheap - which would be a mistake.

The same thing pretty much goes for NO and Tenn also. They can sit still and fill their needs.

But, Green Bay may deal up - - if Favre plays another year.
Or, Oakland and SF (or others with lower picks) ,may deal up - - but that is a long drop.
Xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #16
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17
I like trading down but I dont see us getting good enough value in a trade to justify doing it. This year is TOOOO deep at alot of possitions to have people breaking the bank, especially at RB.

That is exactly how I feel. The draft is way too deep at RB for some team to break the bank to draft Reggie Bush. There are also going to be FA's like Ahman Green, Edgerrin James, and Shaun Alexander available too. If a team is desperate to draft a RB in the first round, they can get a guy like DeAngelo Williams, LenDale White, or Laurence Maroney. Later in the draft you are going to have guys like Calhoun, Drew, Norwood, Washington, and Humes available too. This reminds me of that draft a few years ago when there was a glut of top receivers available like Fitzgerald, Evans, Williams, Clayton, and Woods only the talent at RB is better top to bottom in this draft than it was at receiver a few years ago.

I don't mind trading down and getting a guy like D'Brick, Williams, or Hawk, but I don't want to give away the pick just to trade down.
Old 01-27-2006   #17
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

But what if that team wants Lineart or Young (say the Jets, Raiders, Cardinals) and assume they will be gone?
Old 01-27-2006   #18
tulexan
Hall of Fame

New Orleans definitely is willing to trade the pick. Benson is by far the cheapest owner in the NFL and would be more than willing to drop down a few spots to save a couple million dollars. He does not care about winning, all he cares about is making a profit.
Old 01-27-2006   #19
LongBignasty1
Veteran

If the Texans decide to trade down(which is pure speculation at this point) i would love to pick up Max-Jean Gilles.....that dude is awesome! you can watch him at the senior bowl drills at NFL.com
Old 01-27-2006   #20
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBignasty1
If the Texans decide to trade down(which is pure speculation at this point) i would love to pick up Max-Jean Gilles.....that dude is awesome! you can watch him at the senior bowl drills at NFL.com
If we implement Denver's zone blocking scheme, which I think we will, you might as well give up all hope for Jean-Gilles since he simply doesn't fit the scheme...Eslinger, Setterstrom, and Mangold are much better fits that will be available in the 3rd, in all likelihood...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read