Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-27-2006   #1
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Question on Reggie Bush

First off, it's pretty obvious the Texans aren't going to draft VY. So, that brings us to Bush whom most think we will take. Some of those NFL scouts that have been ranting and raving about him also say that his main drawback is not being able to run between the tackles due to lack of size and durability. Is this a pretty common assesment? If so, I think that is a pretty big drawback for a runner. Considering the speed in the NFL I doubt he will be able to go to the outside often either. Is he projected to be 3rd down back on passing plays only, or line up as a slot receiver? In the Rose Bowl against a fast Texas defense he was more effective as a receiver than a runner. I admit, I only watched him 3 times this season, so you Bush lovers, do your best to sell him to me I am all ears.

BTW, if this guy is projected to be role player I am not sure that is worth a #1 or is a fringe benefit we can afford. I know the Jets are in love with him and I would think trading the pick to the Jets and grabbing D'Brick would not be a bad move depending on what else we get in that trade.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #2
Bronco Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 29 Bronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Bronco Texan Send a message via Yahoo to Bronco Texan

Well I think DD will be the "feature back." But I think Bush will be our "feature game breaker." RB will probably be used in playaction passes alot. Kind of get him the ball and let him work his magic. That said I too believe he is not worth the first pick and would love to trade it to the jet and get D'brick, and maybe even Jon Abrahamn.
Bronco Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #3
LoneStarState
Veteran

"Flashing uncanny acceleration and ability to change direction, Bush has conjured up memories of Gale Sayers, drawn comparisons to Marshall Faulk, Barry Sanders and Tony Dorsett, and is the favorite to be the No. 1 pick in April's NFL draft." AP 12/10/05

If Reggie Bush is anything like who he's being compared to, he can fit in any scheme. He can score from anywhere on the field. Could be a slot receiver, used in the backfield, used as a decoy. Having him on the field with AJ, DD and perhaps a certain TE from UT would give defenses fits. Reggie Bush's less than perfect performance was his version of Vince against A&M. Both are excellent players - I just think Reggie Bush provides the bigger impact.
Old 01-27-2006   #4
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm with you. I think Mr. McNair and Coack Kubiak could have placed tonight on "Dancing with the Stars". They danced around the topic ever so smoothly about VY/Bush. Unless something drastic happens, VY won't be drafted by the Texans. They pretty much said they are convinced that Carr can take us to the Super Bowl.

As far as Bush goes, he's a great RB. I don't doubt him as much as I doubt Carr. I'll be upset that VY won't be a Texan (no scratch that, mad as hell is more like it) but it won't be because of Bush. Either guy desrves to be the #1 pick. Any real (no let me rephrase this), Any TRUE, college football fan knows this. I said before this season started (college season) that I would take VY over any college football player in the country. So really what VY has done or accomplished, is nothing new to me. I saw the Rose Bowl game, I saw Bush, Leinart, and co. do what they do. That wasn't new to me either. Either guy has the chance to be a special talent in the league.
Old 01-27-2006   #5
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns
First off, it's pretty obvious the Texans aren't going to draft VY...
Speak for yourself....I have seen/heard nothing that makes me think it's "pretty obvious the Texans aren't going to draft VY." Kubes saying that he thinks Carr will be a good QB in the NFL does NOT mean that he will be our QB.

Just think for a minute people....IF, IF, IF (see how I'm not jumping to conslusions) the Texans are considering taking VY (and then more than likely looking to trade Carr) what else would a smart HC say? Would he say, "I've been evaluating Carr's game tape and he stinks in every way possible...we must improve at the QB position....hey, btw, does anyone want to trade us a good veteran player and a 1st round pick for Carr?":brickwall :brickwall :brickwall
Old 01-27-2006   #6
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarState
"Flashing uncanny acceleration and ability to change direction, Bush has conjured up memories of Gale Sayers, drawn comparisons to Marshall Faulk, Barry Sanders and Tony Dorsett, and is the favorite to be the No. 1 pick in April's NFL draft." AP 12/10/05

If Reggie Bush is anything like who he's being compared to, he can fit in any scheme. He can score from anywhere on the field. Could be a slot receiver, used in the backfield, used as a decoy. Having him on the field with AJ, DD and perhaps a certain TE from UT would give defenses fits. Reggie Bush's less than perfect performance was his version of Vince against A&M. Both are excellent players - I just think Reggie Bush provides the bigger impact.
That sounds good but all those guys mentioned were effective running between the tackles right? So is that knock of not being able to run between the tackles a common assessment or just the opinion of a couple of scouts?
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #7
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Lighten up, Francis! Have YOU SEEN Reggie Bush play? Or are you reading what is said about him? I don't claim to be the talent evaluator of the NCAA but I hardly see him as Faulk or Dorsett. And for sure not Barry. And as far as Gale Sayers, I haven't seen the guy play so Bush is better than him in my eyes.
Old 01-27-2006   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That sounds good but all those guys mentioned were effective running between the tackles right? So is that knock of not being able to run between the tackles a common assessment or just the opinion of a couple of scouts?
he seems to get at least one carry in between the tackles per game, I would be concerned however with what awaits him in the NFL
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #9
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJB
Speak for yourself....I have seen/heard nothing that makes me think it's "pretty obvious the Texans aren't going to draft VY." Kubes saying that he thinks Carr will be a good QB in the NFL does NOT mean that he will be our QB.

Just think for a minute people....IF, IF, IF (see how I'm not jumping to conslusions) the Texans are considering taking VY (and then more than likely looking to trade Carr) what else would a smart HC say? Would he say, "I've been evaluating Carr's game tape and he stinks in every way possible...we must improve at the QB position....hey, btw, does anyone want to trade us a good veteran player and a 1st round pick for Carr?":brickwall :brickwall :brickwall
Come on, Buddy. I want VY here as badly probably even worse than you but they are not getting VY here under this regime. I'd love to be wrong but I doubt that I am.
Old 01-27-2006   #10
LoneStarState
Veteran

Quote:
Maybe they see something in his abilities to think he's comparable to those RBs, whether it's running between the tackles or around end or whatever. Your concern about Reggie Bush's ability to run between tackles is the same as my concern if Vince Young can take a snap from under center and function in a pro-style offense. That's why I am aprehensive of using the first pick on him, just as you concerns about taking Bush. Until we see them in those situations we won't know for sure. That's the risk of the draft...
Old 01-27-2006   #11
LoneStarState
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
he seems to get at least one carry in between the tackles per game, I would be concerned however with what awaits him in the NFL
Same could be said for Vince Young (about what awaits him in the NFL). The LBs are faster and hit harder in this league. Look at the physical condition Steve McNair is in and he's not near the runner that Vince is. The more the qb runs - the more likely he is to get injured. Just because he was elusive againts defenses who have few if any pro prospects doesn't mean it will translate to the NFL.
Old 01-27-2006   #12
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJB

I think if they were not going to keep Carr you would here more things like"We are still evaluating Carr and looking at all of our options at this point. If we do decide to keep Carr we have to make sure that he is the right fit for the system, we are still trying to determine if his abilities will help us accomplish what we trying to do. He is a good QB with good potential, but as I stated earlier, we are keeping all of our options open at this time."

Of somthing like that. From what I have heard nothing that has been said has come anywhere close to that.
TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's what I'd say: "Carr is the best QB in the history of the game. He rocks! Anybody wanna take him for the #2 pick in the draft this year?"
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #14
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
First off, it's pretty obvious the Texans aren't going to draft VY. So, that brings us to Bush whom most think we will take. Some of those NFL scouts that have been ranting and raving about him also say that his main drawback is not being able to run between the tackles due to lack of size and durability. Is this a pretty common assesment? If so, I think that is a pretty big drawback for a runner. Considering the speed in the NFL I doubt he will be able to go to the outside often either. Is he projected to be 3rd down back on passing plays only, or line up as a slot receiver? In the Rose Bowl against a fast Texas defense he was more effective as a receiver than a runner. I admit, I only watched him 3 times this season, so you Bush lovers, do your best to sell him to me I am all ears.

BTW, if this guy is projected to be role player I am not sure that is worth a #1 or is a fringe benefit we can afford. I know the Jets are in love with him and I would think trading the pick to the Jets and grabbing D'Brick would not be a bad move depending on what else we get in that trade.
Clinton Portis Height: 5-11 Weight: 212
RB 6-0 200 and says he is going to gain 10 pounds for the nfl.
If he does gain 10 pounds he would be almost identical in size to portis.

RUSHING

Year Team G GS Att Yards Avg Lg TD 20+
2002 Denver Broncos 16 12 273 1508 5.5 59 15 11
2003 Denver Broncos 13 13 290 1591 5.5 65 14 13

Reggie Bush would be playing in the exact same scheme that portis played in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #15
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED
I think if they were not going to keep Carr you would here more things like"We are still evaluating Carr and looking at all of our options at this point. If we do decide to keep Carr we have to make sure that he is the right fit for the system, we are still trying to determine if his abilities will help us accomplish what we trying to do. He is a good QB with good potential, but as I stated earlier, we are keeping all of our options open at this time."
No offense but that is pretty naive. No coach is going to come out and publicly demean, degrade or devalue one of his players...especially on his first day. Carr has been the Face of the Franchise for the past 4 seasons. They are going to pick up his option and he'll be a Texan for at least this coming season. No way would the Texans say anything other than that they have complete confidence in him. Even if they wanted to trade Carr, why make him out like he's a possible problem? That improves his trade value? Coach-speak is there for a reason.

That said, I agree that it appears from everything I've seen and heard that you can pencil Vince in on any roster other than the Texans. Bush is intriguing and would seem to create some serious match up concerns for opposing defenses. He scares me though. Size is a concern and he does seem to be a roleplayer more than a dominating starter. Trading down seems better and better to me now.
Old 01-27-2006   #16
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

its great watching these vince young lovers trying to come up with ways that involve him being picked by us. 'when kubiak said he liked what he saw of carr,he was doing it so we'd get more from a trade' lol.
Vince Young =Akili Smith/Mike Vick(or Mc Nair)- do you want to take that risk
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #17
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp
Clinton Portis Height: 5-11 Weight: 212
RB 6-0 200 and says he is going to gain 10 pounds for the nfl.
If he does gain 10 pounds he would be almost identical in size to portis.

RUSHING

Year Team G GS Att Yards Avg Lg TD 20+
2002 Denver Broncos 16 12 273 1508 5.5 59 15 11
2003 Denver Broncos 13 13 290 1591 5.5 65 14 13

Reggie Bush would be playing in the exact same scheme that portis played in.
thats dumb- portis is a tough(and great) running back that can do it all. just because they'll be the same size doesnt mean they'll have the same success
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #18
SteelBlueToro
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbourda
Lighten up, Francis! Have YOU SEEN Reggie Bush play? Or are you reading what is said about him? I don't claim to be the talent evaluator of the NCAA but I hardly see him as Faulk or Dorsett. And for sure not Barry. And as far as Gale Sayers, I haven't seen the guy play so Bush is better than him in my eyes.
Yeah, I have a TV and have seen Reggie Bush play! What a concept! None of us are scouts (though most like to think they are) and so this opinion about a players talent are just as valid as yours.
Old 01-27-2006   #19
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Reggie Bush is anything like who he's being compared to, he can fit in any scheme. He can score from anywhere on the field. Could be a slot receiver, used in the backfield, used as a decoy. Having him on the field with AJ, DD and perhaps a certain TE from UT would give defenses fits.
"a certain TE from UT". Can't believe, we've actually got a UT guy who has
left the realm of denial and realizes that VY won't be coming to Houston this fall to play football. Welcome to the real world !
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #20
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
"a certain TE from UT". Can't believe, we've actually got a UT guy who has
left the realm of denial and realizes that VY won't be coming to Houston this fall to play football. Welcome to the real world !
No one has said that we will not acquire VY, so there is no denial. However, if we do extend Carr, and not franchise him, then picking up VY would be a monumental blunder in my opinion.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read