Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-26-2006   #1
Capster67
Veteran

Default Timelines for Coaching/Coordinator Hires?

As someone who is not local, I'm wondering if any of the Houston media got a sense for when OC/DC and other position coaches would be announced.
Capster67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006   #2
bdiddy
Veteran

Pure Speculation

OC already hired in Calhoun. Kubiak mention bring "a great kid with him." This is a clear reference to Calhoun.

The DC position is on hold because the team is awaiting wether they can get Frank Bush out of his new contract with the Cardinals. Richard Smith has been hired, but he will not likely be DC alone. If Bush does not come, Kubiak will look to add someone with more experience with LBs. Smith is a great DL coach and Hoke will handle the secondary.

Other spots have been filled as has been mentioned.

Gibbs is said to be interested if the money is right. He loves Kubiak.
Old 01-26-2006   #3
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiddy
Pure Speculation

OC already hired in Calhoun. Kubiak mention bring "a great kid with him." This is a clear reference to Calhoun.

The DC position is on hold because the team is awaiting wether they can get Frank Bush out of his new contract with the Cardinals. Richard Smith has been hired, but he will not likely be DC alone. If Bush does not come, Kubiak will look to add someone with more experience with LBs. Smith is a great DL coach and Hoke will handle the secondary.

Are you for real about Gibbs I hope we get him that would be so badass.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006   #4
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_boy_yec
Are you for real about Gibbs I hope we get him that would be so badass.
That it would...Calhoun, Smith, and Bush completely underwhelm me as coordinators, but I guess if they're hired I'll have to reserve judgement for until the season starts...Until there is an official announcement, I'll be praying for Alex Gibbs and Jerry Gray...
Old 01-26-2006   #5
Bronco Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 29 Bronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Bronco Texan Send a message via Yahoo to Bronco Texan

I thought David Diaz-Infante was going to coach the OL. I think David will do a great job. He was such a big part of that OL in Denver for several years. I have confidence that Koobs thinks he will teach and coach it well.
Bronco Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006   #6
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Texans | Haven't asked permission to speak with Bush
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:26:14 -0800

Updating previous reports, Kent Somers, of the Arizona Republic, reports the Houston Texans are reportedly interested in Arizona Cardinals LBs coach Frank Bush to work as a co-defensive coordinator. However, they have yet to ask the Cardinals for permission to speak with him. The Texans would need to be granted permission to talk to him and it is unclear whether the Cardinals would grant it even though it would mean a promotion for him.
www.kffl.com
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006   #7
Apoch
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiddy
Pure Speculation

If the Texans can get Alex Gibbs to come over, the O-line problems will be like night and day by the end of next season. He is simply a genius who practically invented the most successful run-blocking system in the NFL (if you don't believe me, Atlanta ranked #1 and Denver #2 this year). I seriously hope McNair makes the "money right" for Gibbs. He is DEFINITELY worth it.
Apoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-26-2006   #8
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I've also heard that Mike Sherman may be coming as an assistant head coach/O-line coach. I don't know what that means about Diaz-Infante unless one of them coaches something else. I would like Sherman as an OC, but only time will tell.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #9
Bayou City Deacon
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
That it would...Calhoun, Smith, and Bush completely underwhelm me as coordinators, but I guess if they're hired I'll have to reserve judgement for until the season starts...
Just remember, all three have much more experience than Kubiak had when he was hired as OC by Shanahan. I got to see Calhoun's genius firsthand when he was at Wake Forest. He's a future NFL head coach. Shanahan was high on him too.

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_3383940

Quote:
I don't know what that means about Diaz-Infante unless one of them coaches something else.
It might mean that he'll be an understudy much the same way Dennison was under Gibbs.

Something that might want to be want thrown out there: Alex Gibbs' son David, currently the DC at Auburn, was fired by Shanahan during their bye week last season. I'm not sure how that would factor into the equation to him coming to Houston, since the elder Gibbs was plainly upset by the move.
Bayou City Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #10
pbkwfu1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Deacon
JI got to see Calhoun's genius firsthand when he was at Wake Forest. He's a future NFL head coach. Shanahan was high on him too.
Didn't realize anyone else on here was a Wake fan. I'm a senior this year. Go Deacs!

Oh, and to stay relevant to the thread I will be very interested to see who we end up with at DC. I kind of doubt it will be Gray or Bates. For guys that feel they deserve head coaching gigs I doubt they will take too kindly to being the backup plan. Just a thought.
pbkwfu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Note on Jim Bates

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...27/1006628.asp

Meanwhile, the Bills still were waiting to hear if former Green Bay assistant Jim Bates was going to become their defensive coordinator. A representative for Bates said Thursday evening the coach still was "mulling things over."
Old 01-27-2006   #12
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

kffl.com:

Quote:
Texans | Gray reportedly has two offers
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 22:56:49 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports former Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator Jerry Gray reportedly has a pending offer from two teams.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #13
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

rumor is that the Bills are not offering Bates near enough money.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #14
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I would love to see Alex Gibbs here next year.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #15
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Here's some positive information for the Sherman supporters, via kffl.com:

Quote:
Jets | Sherman turns down an interview
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 22:37:45 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports former Green Bay Packers head coach Mike Sherman turned down an offer from the New York Jets to interview for their vacant offensive coordinator position.
Quote:
Bills | Sherman turned down an interview
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 22:40:50 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports former Green Bay Packers head coach Mike Sherman turned down an offer from the Buffalo Bills to interview for their vacant offensive coordinator position. The Bills then hired Steve Fairchild for the position.
Quote:
Texans | Kubiak may hire Sherman
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 22:17:42 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak may hire former Green Bay Packers head coach Mike Sherman as the team's assistant head coach/offensive line.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #16
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks Texans84.
Old 01-27-2006   #17
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

F'en sweet!!
Old 01-27-2006   #18
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
Here's some positive information for the Sherman supporters, via kffl.com:
Be aware.... Sherman has fallen into the Raiders list of HC candidates.
4Texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read