Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Randy Moss on the Texans

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
Lets start with :rolleyes: We know the guy isn't the best judge of things but he was on Dan Patrick. First he was asked to name the Top 5 WRs. He said Himself, TO, Steve Smith and then after thinking said something to the effect of, "you know who I really like..Andre Johnson, that guy is a stud if they can get the people around him..him and Chad Johnson are 4 and 5." Patrick then asked what else the Texans needed. He said with AJ he would take VY and then you'd have two guys who could work with each other and tear up the league. I'm all for Bush so I am not trying to make this a VY thread. I was more impressed with the AJ comments. He even said the Raiders are in for some long years if they don't get a discipline coach. Now that I read my title and can't fix it I'm sure some of you are thinking the thread was about getting him..lol.

Glacier

Waterboy
Not sure if it was mentioned anywhere here yet but, there was an interview with Warren Moon on one of the ESPN sports radio shows in which he addressed Vince Young as well.

I found it interesting that Warren Moon didn't find issue with Vince Young's throwing motion so much as his foot work and him having to work from under center more.

He stated the obvious fact that Vince wouldn't have the same rushing success in the NFL, which everyone, including Vince probably knows but also mentioned that his mobility would buy him time in the pocket to make plays down the field.

The interview is located here if you have premium ESPN Web Access.

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/podcast/player?id=2291264

Grid

All Pro
lol..yah ..i rolled my eyes when I saw the title of this thread :).

Pretty interesting comments. I also find it interesting that a couple of WRs in the league have said we should get Vince Young now. Makes me wonder if that is just the way WRs think (passing most important part of the game) or if VY has alot of friends in the league through Steve McNair.. or if NFL players really feel he is the best player..

eh.. I just deleted about 3 paragraphs talking about the "taboo" around black QBs and how it could possibly be related to that.. but I dont want it to be misinterpreted as racist, so im not gonna go into it. I find it odd though that no one is saying we should draft Matt Lienart when he is rated above VY on pretty much every draft board.

Glacier

Waterboy
could be that WRs realize that a QB who can buy some time with his legs and be a threat to run opens up their game.

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/podcast/player?id=2305722

That link is another ESPN Insider Pod Cast where Jeff Fisher is interviewed.

He is coaching at the Senior Bowl and mentioned Jay Cutler. He did say, though he is a USC fan, he has no doubt in his mind that Vince Young will be a star in the NFL. That said, I got the feeling that they might be looking at trading out of the #3 spot, perhaps down. could it be that the Titains might be leaning towards moving down and taking Jay Cutler?

WOOT! More Draft intrigue!

TEXANS84

Staff member
Remember, this is coming from a guy that saw Andre light it up on his career day: 12 catches for 170 yards and two touchdowns in the 2004 season as the Texans fell to the Vikings in overtime.

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
Glacier said:
could be that WRs realize that a QB who can buy some time with his legs and be a threat to run opens up their game.

He is coaching at the Senior Bowl and mentioned Jay Cutler. He did say, though he is a USC fan, he has no doubt in his mind that Vince Young will be a star in the NFL. That said, I got the feeling that they might be looking at trading out of the #3 spot, perhaps down. could it be that the Titains might be leaning towards moving down and taking Jay Cutler?

Moss did mention that is was no offense to Bush but that he thinks VY could buy time which would allow "Andre to work his magic" or something to that effect.

Grid

All Pro
Glacier said:

Didnt Jeff also say that there is no doubt that USC has the better players in this draft than Texas though?

And about having a qb that can buy time with his legs... Carr is one.

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
Grid said:
Didnt Jeff also say that there is no doubt that USC has the better players in this draft than Texas though?

Carr isn't immobile. Maybe guys like Moss just have that perception that VY could cause more problems while Andre worked.

Glacier said:

Michael Irvin has repetadly said that receviers dont like scambling QB's because they get the ball less, not more.

Kaiser Toro

Native Mod
Grid said:

I vehemently disagree that Carr can buy time with his legs. He can move, but buying time brings images of making a great pass after a scramble or side stepping pressure. I just have not seen this as his strong suit.

And I am not comparing him to VY.

Glacier said:
I found it interesting that Warren Moon didn't find issue with Vince Young's throwing motion so much as his foot work and him having to work from under center more.
Yeah, I doubt Kubiak will be running plays out of the shotgun.

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
I was wrong, he wants us to take Vince Carter..:ok: He can just jump over the guys sacking him.

Wednesday's show in review
• Randy Moss, Raiders WR- An open, candid talk about Moss' relationship with Daunte Culpepper, why Norv Turner failed as a coach (he wasn't enough of a disciplinarian), his top five WRs and why the Texans should take Vince Carter. Callers felt Moss sounded mature and like a leader.
• On Again- Ron Artest will be traded to the Kings for Peja Stojakovich after all. Keith thinks players should have to go through a mental test, like a physical, and if they fail, the deal is off. Rams RB Marshall Faulk called in to say Artest did have a right to refuse.
• Rick Reilly, SI- On Artest, the Super Bowl and why Terrell Owens will not play for Denver.

SheTexan

Hall of Fame
HoustonFrog said:
Patrick then asked what else the Texans needed. He said with AJ he would take VY and then you'd have two guys who could work with each other and tear up the league.

Why does everyone seem to ASSUME AJ would rather work with Vince Young that David Carr?? Just wondering! Maybe, JUST MAYBE, AJ thinks he can tear up the league with David Carr as his leader.

S

SESupergenius

This is funny, Moss trying to tell everyone who or what makes a good QB.

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
SheTexan said:
Why does everyone seem to ASSUME AJ would rather work with Vince Young that David Carr?? Just wondering! Maybe, JUST MAYBE, AJ thinks he can tear up the league with David Carr as his leader.
Who knows but maybe the people who have lined up against them think that AJ would thrive with someone else working with him. All in all I think they just wanted to get Randy's opinion on anything..he just walked into the Texans question with the AJ talk. Funny thing about the interview is Moss is well spoken and sounded mature. I just don't get the guy.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
Grid said:
I find it odd though that no one is saying we should draft Matt Lienart when he is rated above VY on pretty much every draft board.
Interesting since VY had a better QB rating last year. Maybe it is that black/white thing you referred to.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
SESupergenius said:
This is funny, Moss trying to tell everyone who or what makes a good QB.
I was just thinking that, as well (and I heard the interview live!). Whoever asks themselves, "I wonder what Rany Moss thinks we should do?" idonno: Not a thought that crosses my mind.

Grid

All Pro
Hookem Horns said:
Interesting since VY had a better QB rating last year. Maybe it is that black/white thing you referred to.

Matt Lienart is the more polished and prepared prospect. period. if you try and say he isnt youre a maroon. He is also a pocket QB which equates to more passes thrown, and more love for the receivers.

And Nighthawk, i shouldnt bother replying to you, but Carr CAN buy time with his legs. he is athletically gifted enough to do so. He isnt going to avoid the sack like Vick or McNabb might, but he can roll out to buy time. Better coaching/playcalling/protection schemes will help him in that department.

Bronco Texan

Waterboy
I just think Kubiak knows he would be more comfortable with David Carr. Carr is more of the type of QB that Kubiak is used to Elway/Plummer. Now I know he isn't better than Elway, but with time he could be better than Plummer has been with the Broncos. Not the Plummer that was with the cardinals, anybody is better than that Plummer. Carr is mobile, and has a great arm. He is going to be an awesome play action QB, which Kubiak likes to run alot.

I'm sorry I just don't think VY is the pick for this time. It would be different if the Texans needed a QB. But they really don't. If they got VY then it is back
to rebuilding which will take 3 to 4 more years. If they trade down, take some OLmen maybe a WR or if another decent RB is left, then they may have a chance at winning in two years.

If they go with Bush I don't think it will be bad. Bush gives them both a RB/WR which can be very deadly especially in play action passes. Plus if they go with the tandem RBs like in Denver you could see two 1400 yard backs in the same team. I'm talking 400 team rushing yards per game. Not every game but it will be up there.

I say trade down though. We could get atleast 2 more 1st round picks.

DRAMA

Rookie
Grid said:
I just deleted about 3 paragraphs talking about the "taboo" around black QBs and how it could possibly be related to that.. but I dont want it to be misinterpreted as racist, so im not gonna go into it.
Don't worry about talking about a black QB - that's a valid point. I think sometimes in the country we worry a little too much about sensitivities. If what you're saying is honest and not meant to hurt anyone's feelings, then if someone's offended that simply means they don't believe you when you say that it's an honest take.

You know what's funny though? Seriously? Until this very post, I never even thought of Vince as a 'black quarterback'

.....................just as a 'helluva quarterback!' Interesting.

DRAMA

Rookie
Yeah, true. I just was interested in your take about that issue because like I said, I hadn't thought about it until now and it is an interesting thing to think about it.

I always like reading your posts, so if you didn't delete it completely, I'd love to read it....

Grid

All Pro
Nah I deleted it completely :).. I got an email from a mod about one of my other posts a week ago that came off to him as racist, said I was banned if I "tried it again".. so I would rather err on the side of caution :)

DRAMA

Rookie
Well, whatever we do, let's never notice the color of anyone's skin because that must mean we're full of hatred. Oh well....God bless freedom, the USA, and Matthew 7:12...

OK, back to football and HOW GREAT REGGIE BUSH IS GOING TO BE HERE!!!!

:redtowel:

Grid

All Pro
Yep.. im just hoping our FO sticks to their guns and takes whoever they feel will be best for the franchise.. regardless of who that might be. Caving in to fan pressure is never a good thing.

Tulip

Veteran
Glacier said:
Not sure if it was mentioned anywhere here yet but, there was an interview with Warren Moon on one of the ESPN sports radio shows in which he addressed Vince Young as well.

He stated the obvious fact that Vince wouldn't have the same rushing success in the NFL, which everyone, including Vince probably knows but also mentioned that his mobility would buy him time in the pocket to make plays down the field.

The interview is located here if you have premium ESPN Web Access.

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/podcast/player?id=2291264
Thanks for the link. I love to hear from my favorite player every once in a while. He's really excited about being a Hall of Fame finalist.

Moon also said that Young was bigger and stronger than Vick and that he is better than Vick was at this stage. He also said that Young ran a lot in college because that's what the offense called for - he thinks Young will be able adapt to whatever offense the coordinator runs.

Randy Moss also said that Marvin Harrison and Torry Holt aren't top 5.

He was clearly caught off guard with that question, and just started naming WRs.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
Grid said:
Matt Lienart is the more polished and prepared prospect. period. if you try and say he isnt youre a maroon.
Hey now, don't call me a maroon, I didn't go to A&M. ;)

Str8tupg42k1

Waterboy
Maybe Moss said we should get Vince so Carr can be traded to Oakland where Carr could help him tear up the league. (Rumors of Carr being traded to Okland)Nah just playing but could happen.

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
Grid said:
lol..yah ..i rolled my eyes when I saw the title of this thread :).
Pretty interesting comments. I also find it interesting that a couple of WRs in the league have said we should get Vince Young now. Makes me wonder if that is just the way WRs think (passing most important part of the game) or if VY has alot of friends in the league through Steve McNair.. or if NFL players really feel he is the best player..
eh.. I just deleted about 3 paragraphs talking about the "taboo" around black QBs and how it could possibly be related to that.. but I dont want it to be misinterpreted as racist, so im not gonna go into it. I find it odd though that no one is saying we should draft Matt Lienart when he is rated above VY on pretty much every draft board.
Society has gotten so intolerant and PC mentality has become so entrenched
that if a person were to express his preferred companions were members of
his own race, he would be branded a racist. I suppose in one definition of
racism or another, that would be a valid statement. But is that really fair ?

TheOgre

All Pro
AJ put on a clinic in the game against the Vikings in 2004. He outplayed Moss in that game. Heck Armstrong might have had the second best receiving performance in that game. I remember thinking at the time that Moss must be really impressed with AJ. While we lost that game, I think that second half offense highlights both Carr's and AJ's potential.

Glacier

Waterboy
Str8tupg42k1 said:
Maybe Moss said we should get Vince so Carr can be traded to Oakland where Carr could help him tear up the league. (Rumors of Carr being traded to Okland)Nah just playing but could happen.
I think its more likely that Al Davis trades up to get Vince.