Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-25-2006   #1
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP
Default A topic relatively unmentioned - Wide Receiver

Along with OLT and TE, our #2 WR position has been an issue since day 1. Bradford and Gaffney are FA's and Mathis is still a WIP. I highly doubt Bradford is back (never say never after he came back this year), and Gaffney is a 50/50 proposition IMO.

Mathis is still very raw and might be best suited as our #3 WR (if Gaffney isn't here). Perhaps a healthy training camp could propel him into a starting role, but we need to plan otherwise. That means we need to find a bonafide #2 WR to play opposite AJ. Since this is a weak WR draft and they usually take a couple of years to develop anyways, then we need to find a FA one. He doesn't need to be a stud. Perhaps someone like Keenan McCardell (a Houston boy) could be a stopgap for a couple of years. I realize he is older than dirt in NFL terms, but he has contributed everywhere he has gone. Get him and don't look back. If not him, get a guy that gets open and is fairly reliable.

What is your take on the situation?

Last edited by TheOgre; 01-25-2006 at 03:14 PM.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #2
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

i believe a cheap veteran for the WR corps is in order. That guy maybe Gaffney, but you nver really know with a FA.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #3
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I don't think you bring in a FA that would hamper Mathis getting reps. I'd rather him get those reps in preparation for being the #2 even if Gaffney serves at the #2 temp.
Old 01-25-2006   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

If Bradford is the Texans #2 WR again next season .... They are in trouble .

Ive stated this in various threads already but im gonna say it again .... Bradford was a UFA prior to this season , NO TEAM made him an offer .
To me this says one of two things , A) he wasnt good enough to play for ANY other team period . B) he was overpriced for what he can offer ..... Considering he signed w/ the Texans for $1Mill Im of the thinking that the other GM's dont think he was worth the roster spot ....He's a track guy tryin to make in as a WR in the NFL .... I hope he DOESNT return

As for Mathis .... He has potential and once he gets the ball in his hands can break one at any time .... He needs to WORK HARD on his routes . Maybe bringing in a veteran FA would be a good idea to help him develop .

Of all the FA WR's this season the one I would like to see them take a shot at is Troy Brown .... The guy is a proven winner , will do ANYTHING he's asked for the good of the team and is a tireless worker .

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #5
WILLIEG
Veteran

I think that mathis started getting better in his routes last year and has earned the chance to compete for the #2 WR position. With that being said i still think that we need to draft for tha spot to bring about competion. i like that guy Brandon Marshall out of Central Florida. He has the size to play WR or TE (6 "6", 230). He is strong with good speed and if he doesn't work out (inability to run routes) at WR we could have him add some weight and play TE because of athleticism and strength.
WILLIEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #6
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I wouldn't mind seeing Peerless Price on the Texans. When he has a big time receiver on the other side of him, he can be quite productive. His problem is that teams sign him to be their #1 receiver, when he is clearly just a #2.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #7
Bullpen Drew
All Pro

I like Gaffney, we can mold him to something good.

I think Bradford is ok....

But we are definetly going to have a good ground game!

BTW, Try the Bullpen Drew BBQ joint! Our motto...

"Nobody beats my meat!"
Bullpen Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-25-2006   #8
MikeMc
All Pro

Wait and see how Kubiak helps the Offense.....Gaffney might turn out to be a fine WR after a real Offensive minded HC/OC gets here.

Or the Texans could just go DET style and go on a WR run for the next three years.....!!!!
Old 01-25-2006   #9
WILLIEG
Veteran

Bradford sucks ---!
Old 01-25-2006   #10
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

We probably won't spend too much on a FA WR because Bush is going to have a large role in the passing game and will be lined up as a WR for several plays per game.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #11
WILLIEG
Veteran

That's my whole point into getting someone like Marshall who has the athletic ability to maybe move to another position if his routes aren't all that.
Old 01-25-2006   #12
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

here is a name for everyone. Charles Rogers. i know i know, all the problems and injuries in detroit, that just means he comes cheap, he wont have to play in his home state where he played college (less pressure) and he wont have to be the number 1 guy. He is probably better suited to being a number 2 anyways.

The lions will release him because they are not paying him a monster bonus he is due.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #13
WILLIEG
Veteran

Sounds good to me the only thing i would have to question is ability to stay healthy,
Old 01-25-2006   #14
Farough
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 880 Farough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Farough

Isn't David Givens a FA?
Farough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #15
C Madd
Veteran

Rep Power: 4156 C Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respected

I, personally, wouldn't mind us taking Marques Colston from Hofstra. I got a chance to see him in the Shrine game. He's tall and seems very athletic. Jumped over a few corners to make nice catches, including an amazing catch to put the East at the 1 yard line with 1 second to go.
C Madd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #16
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
here is a name for everyone. Charles Rogers. i know i know, all the problems and injuries in detroit, that just means he comes cheap, he wont have to play in his home state where he played college (less pressure) and he wont have to be the number 1 guy. He is probably better suited to being a number 2 anyways.

The lions will release him because they are not paying him a monster bonus he is due.
Cheap enough, he's a guy I would take a flyer on. He would have some seriouse up side if he can pull it together.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #17
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I have been preaching this guys name all season long. Why not take a flyer on him? He was a top 3 pick, and rivaled AJ that year. He has the speed and his hands are what set him apart. AJ has the size, but Rogers was a better prospect at the time of draft.
Old 01-26-2006   #18
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Madd
I, personally, wouldn't mind us taking Marques Colston from Hofstra. I got a chance to see him in the Shrine game. He's tall and seems very athletic. Jumped over a few corners to make nice catches, including an amazing catch to put the East at the 1 yard line with 1 second to go.
He did look very good.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006   #19
WILLIEG
Veteran

Donald Driver!
Old 01-26-2006   #20
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

his problem isnt just injuries, did'nt he get suspended a couple of times for smoking that "wacky tabacky"
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read