Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-25-2006   #1
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How long will Carr's career last?

This is a serious question (whether you want Vince, Bush, or Trade Down) and I wonder if any of you have given it any thought. Yes, this is way down the road but it is something to consider.

I have heard some of you say it is going to take 3 or 4 seasons before the Texans really start competing (that's obviously debatable). However, let's say 4 seasons since most coaches are given about that to start seeing results. By then I believe Carr will be 31 years old. Some guys are in their prime at 31 however some due taking a lot of hits at the NFL level are pretty broken down by their early 30's. Remember Troy Aikman? He took a ton of hits during his rookie season. He has often cited that season as taken a bad toll on his body that lingered. Obviously Carr took more hits than Aikman his rookie season since he set the NFL record. I think it is safe to say Carr has been living Aikman's rookie season for the last 4 years.

Aikman had the benefit of only having to suffer 1 real bad season. He had already won a Super Bowl at this point in Carr's career (season #4). Some of you will say that is because he was on a great team. True, and that is my point. Carr hasn't and doesn't have that luxury. I'm concerned about the long term effects of this.

So with all that said, is it reasonable to think that Carr is going to broken down like Aikman was in his early 30's? At the rate he is going he might be ready to retire before 33. I do remember one CBS color guy making a comment like "at this rate (referring to the sacks), by the time the Texans start turning things around, Carr will be ready to retire." I don't know how serious he was but it made me stop and think.

Let's say Carr turns out to be a decent QB however starts to break down right around the time we get good enough to compete for the Super Bowl. It would be lame if the Texans had to start looking for QB around that time, right when we have a great team built around the QB position. QB is the toughest position to fill and if we are a decent team we will have to get lucky and get a replacement in the later rounds, i.e. New England and Brady.

Should or do you think the Texans will have this mind when they start evaluating the draft and the way to go about building this team? Do you think this is a non factor because the Texans will be good next season or the following? Do you think Carr is a super tough freak of nature in the sense that hits don't effect him like they did Aikman? (not ruling that out)

While I tried to avoid the "V" word in this post, is not the above a reasonable concern and give some validity to drafting a QB if they feel a great one is on the board? This definitely is factor in my opinion on what they should do.

Last edited by Hookem Horns; 01-25-2006 at 02:53 AM.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #2
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

You know what? That is an interesting question. I never really factored in his age. How old is Carr, btw?
Old 01-25-2006   #3
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

I definitely think this is a concern and should be considered. I don't think we'll even make the playoffs until at least two years. That means possible SB in 3-4 IMO. With that said, why not get value for Carr now, and let him go to a good team where he will make an impact immediately. By the time the team starts contending, the new QB should have developed, be in his prime, and be ready to be a full-time starter.

Even if you think that VY would not be an upgrade and at best an equal to what we have now, wouldn't this scenario still make sense?
AustinJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #4
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbourda
You know what? That is an interesting question. I never really factored in his age. How old is Carr, btw?
He was born in 79 so that should make him 26 or 27, not sure of the month.
Old 01-25-2006   #5
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

The key word is QB...VY isn't one irregardless of how much you guys wish him to be. Yes, I've read everything on this guy, and seen all the media hype and BS hype that is continually posted here. You can try this debate at any angle you please, but everything you post is hypothetical. VY is MV in a larger package. A package that will crumple into broken pieces taking the same beating that David Carr has taken with this team. Now, I'm all for crippling most tsips, but he seems like a nice kid, so why wish this on him? Let your god go play somewhere else where he stands a chance on being a great WR And NO, I'm not a Reggie guy either. I wish I could buy these guys for what they're worth, and sell them for the hype of what everyone else thinks they are worth. I'd retire a rich man. My only hope is, some dumb GM somewhere believes the hype and is willing to trade the kitchen sink for a shot at either of these guys. Then we can fill some positions that are sorely lacking on this squad. Now bash away, my "I told you so" will follow as soon as your god goes BUST as a draft pick
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #6
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Carr will be 27 when the 2006 season begins. His age and the time it may take to right this ship puts the Texans in a tight spot when they are looking both Young and Leinart in the mouth. Both Young and Leinart will be 23 at the start of the 2006 season.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #7
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan
The key word is QB...VY isn't one irregardless of how much you guys wish him to be. Yes, I've read everything on this guy, and seen all the media hype and BS hype that is continually posted here. You can try this debate at any angle you please, but everything you post is hypothetical. VY is MV in a larger package. A package that will crumple into broken pieces taking the same beating that David Carr has taken with this team. Now, I'm all for crippling most tsips, but he seems like a nice kid, so why wish this on him? Let your god go play somewhere else where he stands a chance on being a great WR And NO, I'm not a Reggie guy either. I wish I could buy these guys for what they're worth, and sell them for the hype of what everyone else thinks they are worth. I'd retire a rich man. My only hope is, some dumb GM somewhere believes the hype and is willing to trade the kitchen sink for a shot at either of these guys. Then we can fill some positions that are sorely lacking on this squad. Now bash away, my "I told you so" will follow as soon as your god goes BUST as a draft pick
What exactly makes you think he isn't a QB? Are you kidding me? A larger Vick? Jeez!! Have you compared their stats? Vick was nowhere near the passer when he came out of college that VY is. And our posts are hypothetical. What are yours? Guess you obviously have a crystal ball that none of us have.

You better hope you're right about him being a bust b/c when/if he becomes a great QB you will get plenty of "I told you so" too.
AustinJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-25-2006   #8
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Quote:
OK, I will mark you down as Carr will be playing into his late 40's. Good points.

Last edited by Hookem Horns; 01-25-2006 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-25-2006   #9
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This post is obviously to get a rise out of people. For the last time, if you think VY is hype, look at the body of work.
Old 01-25-2006   #10
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I would still contend. The best team for Vince Young is Atlanta. The coaches there are used to Mike Vick, and they would be able to mold him better than the Texan's. Young could use Mike Vick's experience as a valuable tool; whereas, Carr's experience in the NFL may not help Vince Young develop.

I would be in favor of signing Vince Young once has has been polished as a running QB and Carr is either retiring or moved to another team. Bottomline, I don't think the Texans have the people to develop Young as much as a team like Atlanta.
Old 01-25-2006   #11
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
I would still contend. The best team for Vince Young is Atlanta. The coaches there are used to Mike Vick, and they would be able to mold him better than the Texan's. Young could use Mike Vick's experience as a valuable tool; whereas, Carr's experience in the NFL may not help Vince Young develop.

I would be in favor of signing Vince Young once has has been polished as a running QB and Carr is either retiring or moved to another team. Bottomline, I don't think the Texans have the people to develop Young as much as a team like Atlanta.
Vince could change his mind and go play in the NHL for all we know. I don't see how that has anything to do with the state of David Carr when we get to the point of being real good.
Old 01-25-2006   #12
Spoda
Veteran

this is laughable...carr is too old now??? you tsips are really grasping for straws now...the fact is there are questions about vince...and reggie...just because someone thinks vince will not be a good pro does not mean they have anti burnt orange glasses...while i can't predict his future, some NFL scouts have said he still may not go in the top 5 because of the concerns they have(slinging dog crap from his hand throwing motion)...i went to tech so i don't have this hatred for UT unless they play my beloved red raiders, but the fact remains we need playerS in here...not vince...if you actually believe if you could switch the fates of vince and carr and that vince would have done any better without snappping a leg ala vick than carr did...i think you are mistaken....and i honestly believe that if vince was from maryland and went to georgia...and they won the championship, nearly everyone on this board would be screaming for bush ...i am still firmly entrenched in the trade the pick for a kings ransome camp....and and the bush camp second...i just think taking vince is a mistake...unless we could trade carr for a first rounder...anything less would be a mistake..but this will not happen
Old 01-25-2006   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Wow, what a refreshing, descenting opinion. I'm not THAT down on VY, but I do wish some dummy would give us everything and the kitchen sink for that pick. I'm also VERY worried about taking Bush. I've just got a really bad feeling about him in the NFL....well, as a RB anyway.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #14
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbourda
This post is obviously to get a rise out of people. For the last time, if you think VY is hype, look at the body of work.
Every college player is hype until they prove themselves in the NFL. There is NO such thing as a sure-fire NFL HOF coming out of college.

I think Vince will be very successful, but that is based on his improvement from his sophomore season to his junior season. Some players peak in college. If he has already peaked, he will not even be a below average QB. Again, I do not think this is the case, but NOBODY really knows at this point. The draft truly is a crapshoot, so everyone saying he will DEFINITELY be an All-Pro QB is blowing just as much hot air as those who say he is better suited as a WR.
Old 01-25-2006   #15
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Let's say:
Texans sign Carr to the 3 yr option,
Then with a new staff and a bad team plus reggie b we still only win 4 games,
Season 2 we win 6 games,
Season 3 we go 7-9 or 9-7.
Now what do you do?
The 3 years is up, do you resign him for more years, more millions?
That's 7 years with NO PLAYOFFS appearances.
Is it OK to draft a QB then, or aquire one through FA,
Irregardless is it OK to then give him some competition for the position?
Old 01-25-2006   #16
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan
Let's say:
Then with a new staff and a bad team plus reggie b we still only win 4 games,
Season 2 we win 6 games,
Season 3 we go 7-9 or 9-7.
Now what do you do?
The 3 years is up, do you resign him for more years, more millions?
That's 7 years with NO PLAYOFFS appearances.
Is it OK to draft a QB then, or aquire one through FA,
Irregardless is it OK to then give him some competition for the position?
Let's say:
Then with a new staff and a bad team plus reggie b we still only win 6 games,
Season 2 we win 9 games,
Season 3 we go 11-5 and host a playoff game.
Now what do you do?
Smile and wish I could remember the names of all you gloom and doomers
Old 01-25-2006   #17
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Do not really care how long he lasts. I just want a QB that guides us to wins and whose contract is commensurate to his cohorts. If that person is DC I am fine with it. To date he has not lived up to either measurement.
Old 01-25-2006   #18
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

I have an idea! Why don't you moderators create a Vince Young/Reggie Bush is GAWD heading, then move all this worship elsewhere. Attempts to disguise postings with different names by many here, cause alot of needless time reading what is just another VY posting. You can paint a turd any color ya want, but it's still a turd. We have a new coach, lets talk about what's really happening with this team, and stay away from flights of fantasy, and what if we pick VY/RB. No single player is our savior, and never will be. Only one person will change the future of this team, and that one person is the COACH. I have a better idea, lets move all this fantasy football stuff to "No Sports Talk Allowed" because that's the gist of anything I've read from any pro-Young or pro-Bush poster. Seriously, multiple threads on the same subject have really made the last month unbearable here. Go back and look, I never posted here, I just read and remember how enjoyable that was? I promise to go back to READ mode only if we can only make the PAIN go away!
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #19
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm
Let's say:
Then with a new staff and a bad team plus reggie b we still only win 6 games,
Season 2 we win 9 games,
Season 3 we go 11-5 and host a playoff game.
Now what do you do?
Smile and wish I could remember the names of all you gloom and doomers
Let's say:
Texans sign Carr to the 3 yr option
New staff on red bulls get us to the playoffs/afc championship in season one with an 8-8 record. Carr still gets sacked 55 times but hey, it's improvement
We lose it but FO gives Carr renewed contract worth 8 yrs $100 million.
Then we never make it back.
Old 01-25-2006   #20
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have an idea! Why don't you moderators create a Vince Young/Reggie Bush is GAWD heading, then move all this worship elsewhere. Attempts to disguise postings with different names by many here, cause alot of needless time reading what is just another VY posting. You can paint a turd any color ya want, but it's still a turd. We have a new coach, lets talk about what's really happening with this team, and stay away from flights of fantasy, and what if we pick VY/RB. No single player is our savior, and never will be. Only one person will change the future of this team, and that one person is the COACH. I have a better idea, lets move all this fantasy football stuff to "No Sports Talk Allowed" because that's the gist of anything I've read from any pro-Young or pro-Bush poster. Seriously, multiple threads on the same subject have really made the last month unbearable here. Go back and look, I never posted here, I just read and remember how enjoyable that was? I promise to go back to READ mode only if we can only make the PAIN go away!
You have the ability to ignore certain posters and dive into a rainbow of forums if you want to stay away form the VY/Bush debate. Moreover, you could contribute to the VY/Bush cleansing by not bringing them up yourself. Twice in this thread by the way.

We are all guilty as posters and moderators of getting off topic from time to time.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read