Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-25-2006   #1
texan_b
Rookie

Default Texans Def. Cord's (Marc berman)

According to Berman(local Houston fox sports) these are the two men expected to be hired..Richard Smith and Frank Bush Co-Defensive Coordinators

Frank Bush - linebackers; born January 10, 1963, Athens, Ga. Linebacker North Carolina State 1981-84. Pro linebacker Houston Oilers 1985-86. Pro coach: Houston Oilers 1987-1991 (scout), 1992- 94, Denver Broncos 1995-2003, joined Cardinals in 2004.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/locker...aff_smith_r.asp

Last edited by texan_b; 01-25-2006 at 01:09 AM.
texan_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #2
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_b
According to Berman these are the two men expected to be hired..Richard Smith and Frank Bush Co-Defensive Coordinators
Humm any body know anything about these guys?

Other than both of their first names are like Hot Dogs...sort of.

No offense but I don't want anybody that has ever been apart of Arizona's coaching staff. They have a culture of losing there, and I don't want us to end up like them. Call me crazy but that is my gut feeling.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC_Justin
Humm any body know anything about these guys?

Other than both of their first names are like Hot Dogs...sort of.

No offense but I don't want anybody that has ever been apart of Arizona's coaching staff. They have a culture of losing there, and I don't want us to end up like them. Call me crazy but that is my gut feeling.
Richard Smith is the guy Capers replaced in Miami!
Old 01-25-2006   #4
texan_b
Rookie

I agree but I see he played for the oilers. He coached for the oilers and Broncos so that had to be a huge part in this.
texan_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #5
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The link isn't working now. I guess they take him off their page as soon as he gets a new job.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #6
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Quote:
I agree but I see he played for the oilers. He coached for the oilers and Broncos so that had to be a huge part in this.
Yeah I just looked him up. He seems decent.

But I personally think we need to go a little more high profile but I will certainly give him a chance if he is hired. I liked the Bills DC.

hmmmm wonder if that Dom Capers guy is available.
Old 01-25-2006   #7
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems both of them have been affiliated with the Oilers...

LINK

Richard Smith was named the Dolphins’ defensive coordinator by Head Coach Nick Saban on March 2, 2005. Smith comes to the Dolphins with 17 years of NFL coaching experience on his résumé, including the last two with the Detroit Lions, when he served as that team’s assistant head coach/linebackers. Two of those 17 seasons were spent working alongside Saban, as both were on the Houston Oilers staff from 1988-89.

Before joining the Lions in 2003, Smith spent six seasons (1997-02) with the San Francisco 49ers, where he coached the team’s linebackers. During that time, four of his linebackers were selected for the Pro Bowl; Julian Peterson in 2002, Winfred Tubbs in 1998 and both Ken Norton, Jr. and Lee Woodall in 1997.

Prior to his stint in San Francisco, Smith spent four seasons (1993-96) with the Denver Broncos coaching special teams, while also assisting with the linebackers for three seasons (1993-95).

Smith began his NFL coaching career with the Houston Oilers in 1988 where he coached special teams and assisted with the tight ends (1988-89), linebackers (1990-91) and the offensive line (1992). The Oilers qualified for the postseason in each of Smith’s five seasons with the club. In fact, the teams with which Smith has been a part of in the NFL have reached the playoffs in 11 of his 17 seasons, including four appearances with San Francisco (1997-98 and 2001-02), two with Denver (1993, 1996) and five with Houston (1988-92).

In 1987, Smith spent a season at the University of Arizona coaching linebackers and special teams after tutoring the outside linebackers and special teams from 1984-86 at the University of California.

Smith began his coaching career as offensive line coach at Rio Hondo (Calif.) Junior College from 1979-80. He then moved on to Cal State-Fullerton, where he tutored the Titans’ defensive line for three seasons (1981-83).

LINK
Frank Bush enters his second season with the Cardinals as linebackers coach after joining the team last season. Before joining Dennis Green in Arizona, Bush worked as an assistant with the Denver Broncos (1995–03) and Houston Oilers (1992–94).

Bush served nine seasons with the Broncos—three as special teams coach (2001–03), one overseeing the defensive secondary/nickel packages (2000), and five as linebackers coach (1995–99). In 2003 Denver ranked fifth in the AFC in both punt and kickoff return average. Kicker Jason Elam accounted for 120 points for the second consecutive season, placing him fourth (2003), and second (2002), respectively. In 2001, Elam’s 86 percent field goal accuracy mark (31-of-36) was the best in Bronco history and Reuben Droughns ranked third in the AFC with a 25.8-yard kickoff return average.

In 1995, his first season as linebackers coach with Denver, the Bronco defense improved from 28th to 15th, then skyrocketed to the fourth overall defense in the league in 1996, including first against the run. The 1997 season saw two of his pupils—John Mobley (162) and Bill Romanowski (117) rank 1-2 on the club in tackles as Denver forged consecutive World Championships with victories in Super Bowl XXXII over Green Bay following the 1997 season and Super Bowl XXXIII over Atlanta after the ’98 campaign. In the latter campaign, the linebacker trio of Mobley (132) Glenn Cadrez (105), and Romanowski (95) led the team in tackles, Romanowski earned his second Pro Bowl berth, and the Bronco run defense finished third in the NFL.

After an outstanding college career as a three-year starter at North Carolina State, Bush was a fifth-round draft choice by Houston in the 1985 NFL Draft and earned all-rookie acclaim starting 11 of 16 games for the Oilers before a spinal injury prematurely ended his pro career a year later.

After serving as a college scout for the Oilers for six years (1987–92), he was the team’s linebackers coach for three seasons, bringing his tenure with Houston as a player, scout, and assistant coach to 10 years.

Bush’s linebackers continued to play an integral role the following two seasons as the Broncos In 2002, his special teams ranked among the best in the league as Denver ranked third in the AFC in kickoff coverage and fourth in kickoff return average.

Born January 10, 1963 in Athens, Ga., Bush and his wife, Stephanie, reside in Chandler.

Coaching Breakdown
1987–92 Houston Oilers Scout
1992–94 Houston Oilers Linebackers
1995–2003 Denver Broncos Linebackers/Special Teams
2004- Arizona Cardinals Linebackers
Old 01-25-2006   #8
Nighthawk
All Pro

Oh please. Is this the best we can do? Can you say inauspicious beginning?
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #9
texan279
Hall of Fame

Found this at kffl.com

Texans | Team may hire R. Smith
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 21:50:22 -0800

Alex Marvez, of the Sun-Sentinel, reports Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator Richard Smith may be headed to the Houston Texans. The Houston Chronicle reported that Smith is expected to become the Texans' co-defensive coordinator with Denver Broncos assistant Frank Bush on new head coach Gary Kubiak's staff. Smith and assistant head coach of defense Will Muschamp essentially served as the Dolphins' co-coordinators in 2005.
Old 01-25-2006   #10
College Texan
Veteran

Maybe he just does not want to spend as much, again.
College Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #11
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
Oh please. Is this the best we can do? Can you say inauspicious beginning?
I agree.

Kubiak is an Offesive guy. We need an established D-Coordinator or even a former head coach.

I think the Washington Redskins are more of the coaching model we should follow. Get great coaches, pay them well, and the team will improve.
Old 01-25-2006   #12
outofhnd
All Pro

So... what kind of Defense are we looking at? Miami ran a 3-4 last year and Arizona ran a 4-3? sounds like a proverbial odd couple.. They sure have Linebacker coaching covered...

However... Smith was let go after only one year at DC? Maybe Im crazy or does that throw up a red flag to anyone else?

But it does stand to reason that would be why Kubiak kept the DB coach on staff
Old 01-25-2006   #13
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC_Justin
I agree.

Kubiak is an Offesive guy. We need an established D-Coordinator or even a former head coach.
And the Rams announced the hiring of Jim Haslett as their defensive coordinator earlier today...:brickwall
Old 01-25-2006   #14
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

They may not be Buddy Ryan or Marvin Lewis, but I'll take 'em. These guys have at least been around.

IMO, this hiring beats the hell outta Capers and Fangio.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #15
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofhnd
So... what kind of Defense are we looking at? Miami ran a 3-4 last year and Arizona ran a 4-3? sounds like a proverbial odd couple.. They sure have Linebacker coaching covered...

However... Smith was let go after only one year at DC? Maybe Im crazy or does that throw up a red flag to anyone else?

But it does stand to reason that would be why Kubiak kept the DB coach on staff
Miami's defense was ranked 18th in the NFL last season in yards allowed per game per ours being ranked 31st in the NFL, and Miami's defense was ranked 17th against the run compared to our defense ranked at 32nd against the run. They were also ranked 14th in the NFL in points allowed per game compared to ours ranked at 32nd. I guess what I am trying to say is that honestly our defense cannot get any worse lol.
Old 01-25-2006   #16
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyvice
They may not be Buddy Ryan or Marvin Lewis, but I'll take 'em. These guys have at least been around.

IMO, this hiring beats the hell outta Capers and Fangio.
Can't necessarily disagree w/ that. But in Capers defense, he has been a good defensive coordinator in the past...just a HORRID HC.
AustinJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #17
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know if I want anymore former Oilers coaches. The last one we brought in was Chris Palmer.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #18
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJB
Can't necessarily disagree w/ that. But in Capers defense, he has been a good defensive coordinator in the past...just a HORRID HC.
yep NO ONE can argue Capers hasn't been a good Defensive Coordinator.
Old 01-25-2006   #19
outofhnd
All Pro

What about Jerry Gray how is this guy going from coaching prospect in december to practically jobless? this guy constructed a great defense in 04 that lost some key players and looked bad in 05.. But his secondaries are excellent cover corners, his defense is agressive, and causes turnovers... What can you not like about that?
Old 01-25-2006   #20
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofhnd
What about Jerry Gray how is this guy going from coaching prospect in december to practically jobless? this guy constructed a great defense in 04 that lost some key players and looked bad in 05
I'm wondering too. He was one of my favorite candidates. Even interviewed for our HC position originally.
AustinJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read