Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Pa. Student Huimilliated Over Broncos Jersey

WiiBrawler

WiiMan
Here is The Link

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5272442

BEAVER FALLS, Pa. (AP) - A 17-year-old high school student said he was humiliated when a teacher made him sit on the floor during a midterm exam in his ethnicity class - for wearing a Denver Broncos jersey.

The teacher, John Kelly, forced Joshua Vannoy to sit on the floor and take the test Friday - two days before the Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Broncos 34-17 in the AFC championship game. Kelly also made other students throw crumpled up paper at Vannoy, whom he called a "stinking Denver fan," Vannoy told The Associated Press on Monday.

Any Thoughts?

If he was wearing a Cowboys jersey, I would understand. But to humiliate someone in a Broncos jersey is just wrong.

For perspective, the teacher said the point was to show people persecution based on affiliation, in this case team affiliation rather than ethnicity and was meant to be light-hearted.

Actually, my guess is it was all in good fun, and the student thought he found himself a little leverage. I have teachers joke around with me all the time, and while they don't think its offensive, I could easily pull this crap on them.

infantrycak said:
For perspective, the teacher said the point was to show people persecution based on affiliation, in this case team affiliation rather than ethnicity and was meant to be light-hearted.

During a midterm? Or was THAT the midterm? I still don't agree with it.

Khari said:

Wasn't saying I agreed, just passing that along. Seemed a little over the top IMO based upon the midterm.

John Kelly (The Teacher) said:
Kelly told The Denver Post. "It was silly fun. I can't believe he was upset."

I think this was all taken way out of context. My guess is that the teacher was just poking a little fun, and that the kid either took it entirely too seriously or was using it as a plow to make an excuse for doing badly on a test. Either way, this is ridiculous for how much attention it has brought. It was a completely harmless incident at 1 tiny school in Pa. Not front page ESPN worthy imo

Khari said:

The article says during. The fact he did this while the student was taking a mid-term exam is mind-boggling. Some people may not have a problem with exams; with others it is a mentally draining experience. My wife has to really get psyched up and focused to take ANY test. For some reason, they just freak her out. If this had happened to her, she would have failed the test.

In all seriousness, he should, at a minimum, be suspended without pay.

gtexan02 said:
I think this was all taken way out of context. My guess is that the teacher was just poking a little fun, and that the kid either took it entirely too seriously or was using it as a plow to make an excuse for doing badly on a test. Either way, this is ridiculous for how much attention it has brought. It was a completely harmless incident at 1 tiny school in Pa. Not front page ESPN worthy imo

You may not have issues with this. Some people actually take test-taking seriously.

Typical Steeler fans.

Some of their fans rank right up there with Raider Nation on the list of obnoxiousness.

Sounds like most issues that get fed across the wire. This is a local issue that has national sizzle. The only value to any of us is that teachers and administrators use this as an example of a practice/lesson gone bad. This should not be used to encapsulate the system or all teachers.

Round up all of the fans of any team and you're going to find some morons. The past month or so on this board should have clearly demonstrated that to anyone who still had any doubts.

The teacher should get checked on this in some fashion and the kid should get to take his midterm over again if he did poorly on it. This was a lousy idea.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3426221#

And it's not the first time Kelly has employed the tactic. "I did the same thing last week with one of my ninth-graders who wore Peyton Manning," Kelly said of the Indianapolis Colts quarterback.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/education/6396418/detail.html

The teacher, John Kelly, said that he has warned all of his students at Beaver Falls High School not to wear another team's jersey in his classroom.

So when he saw Vannoy walk into the class sporting a John Elway jersey, Kelly said that he "messed" with Vannoy by telling him he couldn't sit at any desk, the paper said.

Kelly said he did the same thing last week with one of his ninth-graders who wore a Peyton Manning jersey.

Vannoy's mother wants him to be able to retake the test.

There is a reason they are my 32nd favorite team. Unfortunately it is looking like they will get their 5th Lombardi Trophy.

Bad judgement by the teacher. No other way around it. Doesn't make him a bad guy but it was a dumb move on his part.

txlonghorn14 said:
that teacher sounds like a jerk. he should be fired.

Sound is only one of five senses and does not take into consideration the full body of work.

Leaving no teacher behind, the other professions, may be the start of a good motto for some political party in 2008. :)

I'm on the fence....on one hand, kid was a bit foolish to wear the Broncos jersey in the middle of Steeler country, especially in the middle of the NFL playoffs. He's fortunate that this is all that happened, because dude would have been jumped by other students at some schools. Perhaps this is a lesson that he needs to practice better judgement. (It's the old adage about staying out of trouble requires one to avoid being in those situations to begin with.)

That being said, the teacher practiced bad judgement, as well. He should be setting an example of good behavior and respect for your opponent. Good sportsmanship and all that jazz. I wouldn't fire the guy over this one incident, but I'd let the student have a chance to publicly humiliate him in return.

Let's just hope this kid is mentally stable and we don't hear about another school getting shot up as a result. If I was a teacher, that would be going through my mind whenever I was faced with a decision like this one.

Teacher told the kids not to wear team jerseys, they did it anyway. Pay the price for being disrespectful!! Should have more teachers like that, IMHO!!!

SheTexan said:
Teacher told the kids not to wear team jerseys, they did it anyway. Pay the price for being disrespectful!! Should have more teachers like that, IMHO!!!

Teacher told kids not to wear "ANOTHER TEAMS' JERSEY". This is a big difference. We are not talking about dress code violations or anything like that. The teacher was wearing a Pittsburgh jersey.

SheTexan said:

Wrong. The teacher told the kids not to wear other teams jerseys. Now unless there is a district policy in place that specifically says that the jerseys of the 31 NFL teams not based in Pittsburgh are off limits I'm going to call that teacher on this punishment right there on the spot. What this kid was wearing was entirely appropriate.

My answer to this problem, had I been the kid in question would have been to tell the teacher he can either let me sit at a desk for the test or I need to go see an administrator. If his supervisor doesn't set him straight then the next step is a call to my parents. I'm not taking a test sitting on the floor while my classmates throw wads of paper at me.

Should have more teachers like that my butt. Should have a few teachers who know when a joke is a joke and when to give it a rest. I applaud him for the obvious intensity he's got going on in supporting his team. He needs to know when to quit though.

Back