Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

View Poll Results: Mario or D'Brick at #4?
Mario Williams 30 38.46%
D'brickshaw Fegureson 48 61.54%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2006   #1
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mario or D'Brick at #4?

For this argument, we have traded down to #4, and BOTH Mario and D'Brick are on the board. Who do you draft and why one over the other?

I'm torn, so what is your opinion?
Old 01-23-2006   #2
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Also torn but leaning towards MW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario

Mario is a truly elite prospect at his position. Additionally.. he would fill a roll on this team that is sorely in need of filling (since we are apparently switching to a 4-3)

I like Dbrick.i think he is a great talent.. but I do not rank him head and shoulders above some of the other OTs in this draft like Justice and Winston. I think we could pick up an OT of similar talent at #33 if we want to.

*EDIT* Mario has been called the best DE prospect since Julius Peppers.. and I would love to have Julius Peppers 2.0
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #4
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I vote Super Mario...
Old 01-23-2006   #5
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Get the most athletic LT in years, put Babin and Peek back at their original positions of DE and be happy.
Old 01-23-2006   #6
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I brought this up even now because it seems that Fergueson is up to around 295 and is dominating top 15 DE's at the senior bolw. He does not appear to have lost any quickness and actually seems to fit into our new zone scheme with quicker linemen.
It has also been reported by a few sites, that he is showing a "mean streak" and the strength to seal the edge and be a valuable member in run blocking.

And then you have Mario, a physical freak who will not be seen again for a while. He also comes at a need position, but at one that we could address with a proven, yet young DE through FA. You will find neither of those qualities from LT in FA. (see victor riley as a top LT in FA for better illustration).

Also, for a list of top DE's and who they might end up with: head to the NFL discussion and find my FA D-linemen list. Also listed in that forum are LB's and DB's.
Old 01-23-2006   #7
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

DBrick, fits the coming scheme best and is the best pass blocker available. Showing some mean at the Senior Bowl.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-23-2006   #8
big homey
Veteran

If we manage to pull John Abrahm out of the trade, then D'Brick of course.

If not, then D'Brick.
Old 01-23-2006   #9
YodAa
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to YodAa

both are elite prospects and both could be very special players, but this poll is useless until we know what kind of D we'll be running
Old 01-23-2006   #10
MikeMc
All Pro

See Grid's comments.

Well, considering that Kubiak is the coach, I doubt the 3-4 will be here to stay. I wonder if he will go with Mike Singletary as his DC!!!
Old 01-23-2006   #11
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 6809 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

The chances of us getting quality lineman in the 2nd and 3rd rounds are much greater than getting a defensive stud like Williams in the same rounds. Williams is a beast. A defensive playmaker is also a huge need IMO, and in this case the talent fits the need at #4. Williams had 14 1/2 sacks this season, not record breaking, but he got 11 of those over the last 6 games of the season. Obviously I choose Mario Williams.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #12
YodAa
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to YodAa

I'd go with Mario if it is a 4-3. Just look at Tampa. Average/Below average OTs, and stud DE in Rice and they always dominate on D and just won their division title. Plus with Williams I'd get to go to the stadium in all red with a huge poster that reads "Lets'y go!"
Old 01-23-2006   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodAa
both are elite prospects and both could be very special players, but this poll is useless until we know what kind of D we'll be running
this poll was made under the general assumption of switching to a 4-3 next year.

Which trench is more important to you now?
Old 01-24-2006   #14
Texans86
All Pro

Mario, too many tackles left in the draft, and Ferguson hasn't been rated high enough for a #4 pick. Basically, our trenches need help, and I think we win either way.
Old 01-24-2006   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

D'Brickashaw- franchise LT seems to be what the Texans need especially since this is the 4th pick which would mean that the Texans passed on Young and we all know Carr needs better protection & that makes it a no-brainer :brickwall
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006   #16
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
D'Brickashaw- franchise LT seems to be what the Texans need especially since this is the 4th pick which would mean that the Texans passed on Young and we all know Carr needs better protection & that makes it a no-brainer :brickwall
I agree....if we're passing on VY AND Bush, we need to give Carr as much protection as possible.

Unless we're planning on drafting Mario, signing Ray Lewis and being like the Ravens of 2000 (where we don't need an offense).
AustinJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006   #17
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

There are about 5 tackle prospects in this draft that could be as good or better than D-Brick ...... There are maybe Two Maybe Three top flight DE prospects . Its more likely that one of the tackle's will be on the board in the second than one of the DE's and quite possible that Daryn Colledge (OT from Boise St.) may be around in the third .

D'Brickashaw Ferguson (Virginia), Daryn Colledge (Boise St.) , Brad Butler (Virginia , plays opposite D-Brick) and Rashad Butler (Miami (FL)) would probably be the best fit for the zone blocking scheme out of the top ten or so prospects .

This is a tough call for me based on the fact that the Texans were 31st out of 32 teams in total defense last year (Only SF was worse statisticly and they beat the Texans in OT) .... But being 30th in total offense is just as bad .... leading the NFL in sacks allowed AGAIN with 68 .... the 31st team in this category was Minn. w/ 54 allowed. Quite a gap.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006   #18
The Preacher
Veteran

Either would mean we picked up extra picks so I would be happy either way but would prefer brick since Carr needs time at some point in his career.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006   #19
cadahnic
All Pro

Mario Williams is a beast, and he is built like it. D'Brick weighed in at 297 so he has gained weight by the Senior Bowl, but it is making him look very stiff and decreasing some lateral movement. D'Brick is still a great LT prospect and likely will be the first off the board, but Mario is that impact RE that if coached the right way to play at least to his potential will be a multiple Pro-Bowler
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006   #20
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario. I see the need with D'Brick but I don't see it with a #4 pick. The Texans need playmakers and if you are going to pass up on three top offensive playmakers you better get a guy on D who can reak havoc. Plugging in a #4 tackle with the same players as last year is a no win in my book. You have 4 of the top 66 picks and can get quality line depth in the other 3 picks and with Kubiak's(Denvers) track record, even later. Also, if we go to the zone blocking scheme that means lighter, faster guys that you can get later. Not a big, punishing guy. With the talent in this draft at the top and depth wise you can cover many needs without giving up a true playmaker at the top.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read