Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-23-2006   #1
Glacier
Veteran

Default This Is What I don't Understand About Houston Fans.....

Domanick Davis attempts 230 yards976 average 4.2 long 44 TDs 2
Jonathan Wells attempts 90 yards 325 average 3.6 long 14 TDs4

That was in '05 when DD was hurt. If you go back to '04

Player No Yds Avg Long TD
Domanick Davis 302 1188 3.9 44 13
Jonathan Wells 82 299 3.6 14 3

How is it, if the Offensive line is SO horrible, you have had this kind of rushing production, yet your QB gets his *** beaten every game?

Is Carr coachable or is he another Drew Bledsoe who wants to pat the ball all day until he sees a throw he likes? Is he just slow to make reads and find receivers?

Why all the hype to take Reggie Bush when the production at RB is way better than the production at QB?

Fine, you don't want VY, then why not make a case for taking Wheinhart?
Glacier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

4ypc isn't really that great.... I think it's great considering the offensive line isn't that great. But people will remind you that there is a difference between run blocking, and pass blocking, which, they have a point. But I think DD getting hurt, is a result of that poor runblocking. I point to Ricky Williams in NewOrleans as my defense.

But... these same guys would also have you believe there is a difference in pass protection, also when David Carr is calling the shots (first half of the St Louis game, and any game David did well last year) and When Caper's/Pendry/Palmer/Donavan McNabb's Mother is calling the shots(the second half of the St Louis Game, and every game David suffered in).
Old 01-23-2006   #3
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier
Domanick Davis attempts 230 yards976 average 4.2 long 44 TDs 2
Jonathan Wells attempts 90 yards 325 average 3.6 long 14 TDs4

That was in '05 when DD was hurt. If you go back to '04

Player No Yds Avg Long TD
Domanick Davis 302 1188 3.9 44 13
Jonathan Wells 82 299 3.6 14 3

How is it, if the Offensive line is SO horrible, you have had this kind of rushing production, yet your QB gets his *** beaten every game?

Is Carr coachable or is he another Drew Bledsoe who wants to pat the ball all day until he sees a throw he likes? Is he just slow to make reads and find receivers?

Why all the hype to take Reggie Bush when the production at RB is way better than the production at QB?

Fine, you don't want VY, then why not make a case for taking Wheinhart?
Good points and I agree with most of them. However, pass protection and run blocking are two different things.

I do think Carr is slow to make reads, he always looks like he is locked onto one guy most of the time. However some will say that is due to poor pass protection.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #4
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns
However some will say that is due to poor pass protection.
or that he's "shellshocked"
Old 01-23-2006   #5
Glacier
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
4ypc isn't really that great.... I think it's great considering the offensive line isn't that great. But people will remind you that there is a difference between run blocking, and pass blocking, which, they have a point. But I think DD getting hurt, is a result of that poor runblocking. I point to Ricky Williams in NewOrleans as my defense.

But... these same guys would also have you believe there is a difference in pass protection, also when David Carr is calling the shots (first half of the St Louis game, and any game David did well last year) and When Caper's/Pendry/Palmer/Donavan McNabb's Mother is calling the shots(the second half of the St Louis Game, and every game David suffered in).

4 yards per carry is pretty freaking good dude.

If all you did was run on 1, 2, 3rd down averaging 4 yards a carry, your offense never leaves the field and would score every time.

I don't buy it. I understand there is a difference between run and pass blocking; however, these guys have been blocking forever. Something had to be breaking down in pass blocking. Either someone wasn't making the right blocking calls, David Carr stinks at getting rid of the ball quick or, people do not fear David Carr will burn them if they blitz him every down.

There has to be an explaination for why Dominack Davis can be productive behind that line and D Carr can't.
Old 01-23-2006   #6
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm
or that he's "shellshocked"
LOL, shellshocked due to poor pass protection in the past.
Old 01-23-2006   #7
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
There has to be an explaination for why Dominack Davis can be productive behind that line and D Carr can't.
Like Hookem stated, run blocking and pass blocking are two totally different things.
Its not that hard to figure out.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-23-2006   #8
Glacier
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
Like Hookem stated, run blocking and pass blocking are two totally different things.
Its not that hard to figure out.

I think that is an over simplified explaination. Look, I understand that David Carr has been "THE GUY" people root for in Houston. I understand he was the first over all pick in the draft. I understand fan loyalty and all that stuff. I really do, but at which point do you finally say, "it smells like a skunk, it looks like a skunk. It must be a skunk?"
Old 01-23-2006   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss

Don't make the mistake thinking I'm defending Carr.
Old 01-23-2006   #10
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

It really is pretty easy. Texans fans want wins first and secondly be entertained. When you do not win and it is not entertaing to watch in a win or loss you start looking at value with a microscope or start reaching for the next flavor. Some fans will take a granular look and realize we have painful contracts or guys that did not live up to the hype and we will have to grow organically through the draft and a install a better coaching staff to get the most out of we have. And there are others that want to be wowed by a playmaker with the hope that the player will make an exponential difference.

I see no fault in either fan as the team, not the franchise, has not given us a lot to feel good about since the Cowboys game.
Old 01-23-2006   #11
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
I think that is an over simplified explaination. Look, I understand that David Carr has been "THE GUY" people root for in Houston. I understand he was the first over all pick in the draft. I understand fan loyalty and all that stuff. I really do, but at which point do you finally say, "it smells like a skunk, it looks like a skunk. It must be a skunk?"
The GM has specifically targeted run blocking linemen in FA. The Texans as a group have a bunch of above average run-blockers and below average pass-blockers. You have 4-5 below-average pass-blockers and a half back that cannot pick up a blitz to save his life, and you have a QB on his **** a lot.
Old 01-23-2006   #12
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Look, I understand that David Carr has been "THE GUY" people root for in Houston.
If you would read back a few more months besides your joining date of January, you would recognize that Carr no longer is "the guy" people root for. Sure, he's going to get all of the attention because he is our starting quarterback, but with a 2-14 season...players need to be re-evaluated.

From another thread:

Quote:
Hell Send DD to Dallas. We will put him to good use.
Ahh, we've found a cowboys fan...eh?
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #13
Glacier
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
Ahh, we've found a cowboys fan...eh?
I'm a Cowboys fan and have never denied it. I was also a Houston Oilers fan before they up and left Texas. (hard not to love guys like Warren Moon and before him Earl Campbell). I'd LIKE to be a Texan's fan but god....its painful to watch them play.

Incidentally, as I've said before, I am a "TEXAS" football fan. I like to see all Texas teams do well.

I'm excited about Kubiak coming to Texas. I wanted him in Dallas back when Jerry interviewed him. I think he will show people that Houston isn't as bad, talent wise, as everyone believes.
Old 01-23-2006   #14
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Incidentally, as I've said before, I am a "TEXAS" football fan. I like to see all Texas teams do well.
I grew up in Ft. Worth and have been a Cowboy fan all my life. I moved here in 1993 and I really want the Texans to do well. I like what you had to say here. I do see the rivalry but when I grew up in FW, my fav teams were the Cowboys, Rangers and Mavs but I always loved the Oilers and Astros and Rockets. I like most Texas teams in the pros. Not ripping Houston people because I am one and love it now but I never hear people in the DFW are talk about Houston much but the people here sure do talk about hatred for Dallas.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #15
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog
I grew up in Ft. Worth and have been a Cowboy fan all my life. I moved here in 1993 and I really want the Texans to do well. I like what you had to say here. I do see the rivalry but when I grew up in FW, my fav teams were the Cowboys, Rangers and Mavs but I always loved the Oilers and Astros and Rockets. I like most Texas teams in the pros. Not ripping Houston people because I am one and love it now but I never hear people in the DFW are talk about Houston much but the people here sure do talk about hatred for Dallas.
I lived in Dallas also. Dallas people do have a hatred for Houston however it isn't directed at the Houston sports teams like it is in Houston. Normally you hear them saying Houston is a dump, it is polluted, over populated, the traffic sucks, etc, etc. When Houstonians dump on Dallas it is normally directed at the Cowboys.

The difference is, there aren't many Houston fans in Dallas. Most Dallas fans will root for Houston teams when they aren't playing each other. However, there are tons of Cowboys fans in Houston, and most of them have large mouths and bring the hate on themselves. One thing that surprised me in Dallas is the Cowboys fans there are a little different, most don't have diarrea of the mouth. They are actually pretty tolerable in Dallas unlike the ones in Houston and elsewhere.
Old 01-23-2006   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns
However, there are tons of Cowboys fans in Houston, and most of them have large mouths and bring the hate on themselves. One thing that surprised me in Dallas is the Cowboys fans there are a little different, most don't have diarrea of the mouth. They are actually pretty tolerable in Dallas unlike the ones in Houston and elsewhere.
This has been my experience, as well (living in Houston). Cowboys fans are few and far between around here when they are experiencing a losing season. But once they start winning, so many folks make the claim of being a Cowboys fan since they were little.

At which point I trap them in my circular logic maze, as follows:

DB: "So, you've lived in Dallas?"

CF: "No, Houston my whole life. But when I was little my parents were Cowboys fans."

DB: "So you come from a long line of bandwaggoners, 'eh? It runs in the family."

CF: "ummmmmm...."

I'm so mean....heh-heh-heh - j/k!! to all
Old 01-23-2006   #17
Glacier
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
This has been my experience, as well (living in Houston). Cowboys fans are few and far between around here when they are experiencing a losing season. But once they start winning, so many folks make the claim of being a Cowboys fan since they were little.

At which point I trap them in my circular logic maze, as follows:

DB: "So, you've lived in Dallas?"

CF: "No, Houston my whole life. But when I was little my parents were Cowboys fans."

DB: "So you come from a long line of bandwaggoners, 'eh? It runs in the family."

CF: "ummmmmm...."

I'm so mean....heh-heh-heh - j/k!! to all
I actually have it double bad. My mother's side of the family is in the Corpus, Houston area and are the typical Houstonian type Cowboy's haters.

My dads side of the family is mostly in the Metroplex now, which has the typical, "root for both Dallas and Houston" types.

Me personally, I like the Rockets and the Astros. The jury is out on the Texans. I want to see them win before I go buy a Texan's Jersey. (I'd buy a #10 Jersey, regardless, though. SUE ME! \m/ hook'em)
Old 01-23-2006   #18
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 22248 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Most all your Dallas fans are manufactured from the America's Team hype from a number of years back. Same can be said about the Atlanta Braves fanbase. I'm sure there are some true born and raised Cowboy fans out there but I think they choose to remain quiet so as to not be lumped in with the rest of the other fabricated fans. I love conspiracy theories.
Old 01-23-2006   #19
chall8
Rookie

Completely agree. Everyone up here makes it out that it has to be EITHER Young OR Bush. If you decide you want to stick with Carr and not get Young, why does that mean you have to get Bush?

Our RB production is just fine. Morency was looking good as well. And Kubiak has a history of making 3rd and 4th round RB's great.

Burning a #1 pick on a running back just doesn't make sense to me.
chall8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #20
Glacier
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Asylum
Most all your Dallas fans are manufactured from the America's Team hype from a number of years back. Same can be said about the Atlanta Braves fanbase. I'm sure there are some true born and raised Cowboy fans out there but I think they choose to remain quiet so as to not be lumped in with the rest of the other fabricated fans. I love conspiracy theories.

pffft as a child, I saw my mom cry when the Cowboys lost to the Steelers and again when Staubach retired. This despite all my uncles being Cowboys haters/Oilers fans....Yea, that sort of stuff leaves an impression on a kiddo.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read