Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-23-2006   #1
dmt217
Veteran

Default note to Carr: "You play to win the game!"

Looks like someone didn't tune in to see HE's comment.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/ar...d=2006_4039784

San Francisco 49ers coach "Mike Nolan" took a shot at Texans quarterback David Carr on Sirius radio last week. Regarding Carr's comments that winning the first draft pick meant that "it's probably better to be in our locker room right now than San Francisco's," Nolan said, "If one of our players had done that, it tells me where his mind is at or was at some time. I would hope our players' mind was never on draft position or things like that.
"I don't believe any of our players would maybe have made that comment."
dmt217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #2
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109600 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
He was joking, give me a break.
I think he needs to be coached on what to say to the media. Obviously, with his other lame comments which I have already brought out in multiple threads, and this, it is sending out the wrong message to his teammates and fans.

BTW, Jimmy Johnson's comment on leadership in that article are right on. Too bad he didn't entertain McNair's supposed offer.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I mentioned my disgust with his demeanor and his overall giddy disposition when it happened. I can see how it drew out a comment from Nolan.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #4
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

One vague line, offered without any context, quoted secondhand by a coach who has nothing to do with our team.

Any one have the rest of this "clip" in which DC made this statement?
Old 01-23-2006   #5
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

I too said we win to play the game. I have said it about a hundred times on this board. And yet prior to the San Fran game, you couldn't shake a stick at all the "we have to lose this last game" threads.

Just to clarify, all of you people posting here weren't a part of that battle cry, were you?
Old 01-23-2006   #6
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

A comment like that is not good no matter how you frame or position it. Yes it was most likely flippant and maybe had a slice of truth, but that comment should never find itself to the media.
Old 01-23-2006   #7
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 35052 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't get it. Is Carr saying it's better to be a Texan than a 49'er?
MightyTExan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-23-2006   #8
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
A comment like that is not good no matter how you frame or position it. Yes it was most likely flippant and maybe had a slice of truth, but that comment should never find itself to the media.
Agreed, that sort of stuff is what he tells his wife before they turn off the lights and close their eyes.

But, just like these boards, second-hand info runs rampant in the media and it's fairly obvious that for everyone but two teams, this is off-season and therefore time to let that crazy rumor-mill grind away.
Old 01-23-2006   #9
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
I too said we win to play the game. I have said it about a hundred times on this board. And yet prior to the San Fran game, you couldn't shake a stick at all the "we have to lose this last game" threads.

Just to clarify, all of you people posting here weren't a part of that battle cry, were you?
I'm not lying, I wanted #1 and saw no difference between a 2 and 3 loss season but I am a fan with an agenda of wanting to see better players and don't get paid alot to win...ol
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #10
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
He was joking, give me a break.
Reguardless if he was joking or not, that's not a funny matter.

You wouldn't see Favre or Elway making jokes like that. They actually get upset when the team loses.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #11
SnakeOilTanker
Veteran

I agree he probably shouldn't have said that

but this whole he needs to pissed when things are going bad stuff is BS. C'mon some of yall will rag on him for anything and its stupid.
SnakeOilTanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #12
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeOilTanker
I agree he probably shouldn't have said that

but this whole he needs to pissed when things are going bad stuff is BS. C'mon some of yall will rag on him for anything and its stupid.
I would imagine a conservative estimate would be that 80% of the people on this board were screaming "Texans Lose - We Want Reggie" for the last 3games of the season. You don't think that the players weren't hearing that? So, here we have a bunch of guys who really weren't giving up even with the worst record in the NFL playing for coaches where the words lousy coaching doesn't even begin to cover the situation,and the majority of their fans want them to lose. Add to that all of the Carr-bashing that was and still is going on. Faced with this, you don't think a little sarcasm might just find it's way out of a person's mouth? This certainly wasn't one of DC's more shining moments with the media - but it is understandable. If the fans were frustrated, just think of how the players felt.

Having said that, I am also going to say that with some of you it doesn't matter what Carr says or does or how he might or might not improve with new coaching - you won't like him period. He could turn out to be a great QB and take the team to the playoffs, but there will still be those of you who say he isn't as good as the UTQB whose name should not be spoken anymore and shouldn't be playing with the Texans.

This is beginning to get on my last old person nerve. :brickwall When and if you get right down to the bottom line - winning is what matters - not who is playing when the winning begins as has been mentioned more times than I can count but still isn't sinking in. A 2-14 season isn't attained because of one person. Let's give the Carr bashing a rest. Please! Thank you for allowing me to vent.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #13
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

If people would put the same energy into finding good things about Carr and his abilities as they do digging up dirt on him.. we would all be convinced that he is a future hall of famer right now.

But whatever.. im beyond taking any of this junk seriously anymore. Carr will be here next season..and I will be supporting him and hoping that Kubiak can get him to the next level. I hope that other Texan fans here will do the same.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #14
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffi2
I would imagine a conservative estimate would be that 80% of the people on this board were screaming "Texans Lose - We Want Reggie" for the last 3games of the season. You don't think that the players weren't hearing that? So, here we have a bunch of guys who really weren't giving up even with the worst record in the NFL playing for coaches where the words lousy coaching doesn't even begin to cover the situation,and the majority of their fans want them to lose. Add to that all of the Carr-bashing that was and still is going on. Faced with this, you don't think a little sarcasm might just find it's way out of a person's mouth? This certainly wasn't one of DC's more shining moments with the media - but it is understandable. If the fans were frustrated, just think of how the players felt.

Having said that, I am also going to say that with some of you it doesn't matter what Carr says or does or how he might or might not improve with new coaching - you won't like him period. He could turn out to be a great QB and take the team to the playoffs, but there will still be those of you who say he isn't as good as the UTQB whose name should not be spoken anymore and shouldn't be playing with the Texans.

This is beginning to get on my last old person nerve. :brickwall When and if you get right down to the bottom line - winning is what matters - not who is playing when the winning begins as has been mentioned more times than I can count but still isn't sinking in. A 2-14 season isn't attained because of one person. Let's give the Carr bashing a rest. Please! Thank you for allowing me to vent.
The only value that a #1 pick really has is that we will take a finite hit on the cap, trade value for it and what the #1 player's on field potential is. That is it as there are no guarantees. As far as losing to win, I think Coach Lombardi says it best, "once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit."
Old 01-23-2006   #15
SnakeOilTanker
Veteran

I'm a big Carr homer I'll admit that, but I can see his faults. We won't get in to that.

I do not think that any of us can make a fair assesment of him with out sitting down with game tape (not TV Style, im talking the cut-ups, WIDE, Tight, and endzone) and the play sheet. We don't know what type of protection they where in, who where is his primary targets and what secondary reads he was suppose to make.

You can make some judgment of a QB based on what you see on TV, or at a game, but without all the tools listed above you cant make a 100% accurate assesment of his play.

Thankfully Kubiak is gonna be able to sit down and asses David with these tools, and not a CBS game feed and a Dave Ragone jeresy.
SnakeOilTanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #16
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
If people would put the same energy into finding good things about Carr and his abilities as they do digging up dirt on him.. we would all be convinced that he is a future hall of famer right now.

But whatever.. im beyond taking any of this junk seriously anymore. Carr will be here next season..and I will be supporting him and hoping that Kubiak can get him to the next level. I hope that other Texan fans here will do the same.
...you Carr Lover's would have credibilty if-just once in a while- you could give exanples of good things to say about Carr, without defending him/making excuses/telling us how it's going to be all better when Carr works in a perfect situation., etc. The other sides give enough examplea/specfics but all the Carr lovers do is bash the Carr haters--c'mon bring on the 'meat and potatoes!' This situation is like the one that existed last year with the "Caper" lovers/haters, one side (Homers) did nothing but put down the "Chicken Littles" instead of backing up their opinion.

Last edited by tsip; 01-23-2006 at 07:19 PM.
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #17
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

i wanted a win. I posted it 54000000 times that i wanted a win...never once did i wish for this draft pick. Im still not happy about it. Happiness in losing disgusts me personally, whatever supposed benefits it gains you in the draft. Im not calling anybody who rooted for the 49ers a bad fan, but that has never set well with me

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07
i wanted a win. I posted it 54000000 times that i wanted a win...never once did i wish for this draft pick. Im still not happy about it. Happiness in losing disgusts me personally, whatever supposed benefits it gains you in the draft. Im not calling anybody who rooted for the 49ers a bad fan, but that has never set well with me
In agreement.

I never dissed anyone that wanted a "strategic loss" to the 49ers, but I just can't root for my team to purposefully lose. It'd be like hoping your wife picks up some dude for a quickie on the way home. "Hey, he gave her $50 to buy some KFC!!". It's just wrong, IMHO.
Old 01-23-2006   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Pretty good odds on Kubiak ripping Carr a new one even before something like this happens again.

Kubiak is like Bilichick in the sense that he aviods the media and the limelight. He'll get ahold of Carr really quick and probably have those comments typed out on paper in big bold letters, all lined up right after another, and ask Carr what he thinks people think about those comments all stacked up on top of one another.

After a pause, and just as Carr begins to answer, Kubiak will stop him and tell him to start a new habitat: Think before you speak. Come back to me tomorrow and tell me your answer.

Capers didn't stop Carr because, well...Capers is just as bad at public speaking as Carr is. And save me the tired rant about how distinguished Capers was and blah-blah-blah...the guy was THE WORST at coachspeak that I have EVER witnessed.

Would you honestly want several spots further down the draft line just to gain some vapor of dignity that ends just as quickly as it began?

But I agree on one thing: The guy needs to have his mouth stapled shut until he proves he can accurately comment on ANYTHING,
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #20
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
Pretty good odds on Kubiak ripping Carr a new one even before something like this happens again.

Kubiak is like Bilichick in the sense that he aviods the media and the limelight. He'll get ahold of Carr really quick and probably have those comments typed out on paper in big bold letters, all lined up right after another, and ask Carr what he thinks people think about those comments all stacked up on top of one another.

After a pause, and just as Carr begins to answer, Kubiak will stop him and tell him to start a new habitat: Think before you speak. Come back to me tomorrow and tell me your answer.

Capers didn't stop Carr because, well...Capers is just as bad at public speaking as Carr is. And save me the tired rant about how distinguished Capers was and blah-blah-blah...the guy was THE WORST at coachspeak that I have EVER witnessed.

Would you honestly want several spots further down the draft line just to gain some vapor of dignity that ends just as quickly as it began?

But I agree on one thing: The guy needs to have his mouth stapled shut until he proves he can accurately comment on ANYTHING,
Good post. Carr has to LEARN to not answer with the truth and how he actually feels. It seems to me he just says what he is thinking and not how what he is saying is going to be precieved.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read