Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-23-2006   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans should remain quiet during FA

Ok, heres what Ive realized after analyzing our past 4 seasons. We cannot bring in good Free Agents. Good FAs want 2 things: money and opportunity. Simply put, good FAs want to play for good teams so that they can 1)win games and 2)look good. Playing with good players makes you look even better. Playing with average->bad players makes you look worse. If you look bad, you will either retire early or leave and make less somewhere else where you'll be erquired to prove yourself with incentive laden deals. This is why the Texans cannot make any splashes in the FA market. We simply cannot lure good players to come here for affordable prices. If we want a ProBowl caliber player, we will have to break the bank to bring them here (see Orlando Pace). If we want average-> above average players here, we have to seriously over pay them. Lets take a look at the Todd Wade/Morlon Greenwood debacles. Both of these players played well in Miami's scheme but were considered to be pretty average NFL talents. Let's imagine that 3-5 teams were interested, all of which were most likely better than the Texans. All we can offer is more $$ and better facilities, and thus we end up paying significantly more for these players than we should.

This is why we did the PBuch trade, as well. We saw someone who looked like they may have some serious potential that we could acquire without hurting our cap situation, and pulled the trigger.

The basic situation is the Texans are a bad football team and players don't want to watch their career dwindle away here. Therefore to get players, we either have to trade away valuable picks to get affordable contracts, or pay huge salaries in the FA market. Therefore I think we should go lightly into the FA this offseason and try and continue building through the draft. Otherwise in 2 or 3 more seasons, we will be stuck with some HUGE contracts on some players who we could have developed ourselves
Old 01-23-2006   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Casserly already said that we would not be active in FA this year. Our big FA this year is David Carr.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #3
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I agree with you on this, but the only FAs I believe the Texans should go for are Bentley from NO and Hutchinson from SEA. If they can get one great OLineman that is the only way I would do that. Other than that Keep your money and try to clear out some of these bad contracts.
Old 01-23-2006   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Casserly already said that we would not be active in FA this year. Our big FA this year is David Carr.
That's excellent news then. The two free agents I have been hearing are Reggie Wayne and LeCharles Bently. Both of these guys are huge names and neither would probably even look our way. If they did, however, we could expect to pay 1.5x as much as any other team. Imagine the contract Wayne or Bentley would require...it would be limiting for us for years
Old 01-23-2006   #5
justtxyank
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 justtxyank is a quality contributor and well respectedjusttxyank is a quality contributor and well respectedjusttxyank is a quality contributor and well respectedjusttxyank is a quality contributor and well respectedjusttxyank is a quality contributor and well respectedjusttxyank is a quality contributor and well respectedjusttxyank is a quality contributor and well respectedjusttxyank is a quality contributor and well respectedjusttxyank is a quality contributor and well respectedjusttxyank is a quality contributor and well respectedjusttxyank is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I think they have definte holes that they should try and somewhat address in FA. Even if they don't go after any high priced guys, they should go after a new corner. If it's not a top guy like Clements, then they should look at some of the lower guys.
justtxyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #6
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

I would be curious to know exactly what went on with the negotiations process behind closed doors. Players' motivations differ (some just want the most moolah, others want a ring, still others want to come on and just be an "impact" player, most will pursue some combination thereof), and I don't claim to know, for instance, Greenwood's.

I would speculate also that Casserly or his contract negotiations staff didn't do their job, in overpaying some of these players as they did.
Old 01-23-2006   #7
TexasJedi
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
That's excellent news then. The two free agents I have been hearing are Reggie Wayne and LeCharles Bently. Both of these guys are huge names and neither would probably even look our way. If they did, however, we could expect to pay 1.5x as much as any other team. Imagine the contract Wayne or Bentley would require...it would be limiting for us for years
According to Mortensen the Colts will F-tag Wayne if they can't re-sign him even if it means letting Edge go. We'll see.
TexasJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-23-2006   #8
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess the Colts figure it's easier to replace a good RB rather than receiver.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
ummmm....wow....that's certainly something to look forward to, 'eh?

I was hoping we'd be in the running for LeCharles Bently, too. A player like that is an instant upgrade to an area that we desperately need some talent. But it doesn't sound like it's going to happen now. No use holding my breath waiting for that move then.
Old 01-23-2006   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 258843 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

It's just like recruiting. The coach has got to sell himself, his system, and his team as something that FA wants to be part of. Granted, it's not an easy sell, for the Houston Texans, but I don't want a guy who is here just for the money.

If we can't lure a FA here, for market value, I say good riddance. But I would try, we can use some help.
Old 01-23-2006   #11
Glacier
Veteran

how insane would edgerrin james be in a Kubiak running offense?

I wonder how expensive he is going to be?
Glacier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #12
texanmojo
Shotgun 30 Time

Section: The Nosebleeds
Rep Power: 3019 texanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier
It won't matter if the Texans draft Bush.
texanmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #13
Htown34s
Veteran

If we do switch to a 4-3 this year then I can see us going after some average 4-3 DE's to help the transition. I could see us drafting a DE also.
Old 01-23-2006   #14
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier

I wonder how expensive he is going to be?
Wouldn't Edgerrin be the bomb on our squad! Have to ask a board-resident capologist if we are able to afford this big of an acquisition (he will command the big bucks).
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #15
stevo3883
All Pro

well since we're good as far as the cap goes, yeah we could afford him. would it be smart? prolly not, it wouldnt allow us to do much else unless some of our players restructured their contracts
Old 01-23-2006   #16
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Isn't Mathis from Indi. an FA would it be out of the question to pursue him?
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 258843 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I need to see more Reggie highlights. So far, all I've seen is that Fresno highlight reel.

It would've been nice, if he & Vince showed up at the Senior Bowl, but I understand their decision not to show.
Old 01-23-2006   #18
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
It would've been nice, if he & Vince showed up at the Senior Bowl, but I understand their decision not to show.
Even if they wanted to be there, they couldn't since you have to be a SENIOR to play in the SENIOR BOWL...
Old 01-23-2006   #19
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Just two FAs IMO. One on each side of the ball:

Clements - CB

Bently - C/OG

Expensive....probably, but would bring expreience and quality to both sides at needed spots.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #20
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

One of the things a player wants is to be the reason they win. To win is nice, but to be the reason for the W is even better. If say, Hutchinson were to come, he would get big cash, and if the Texans got good pass protection, he would be credited even if he only has 20 pancakes.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read