Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-23-2006   #1
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

Default Forget drafting OL...

We can fix OL via free agency. Sign LeCharles Bentley (NO) and Tom Nalen (DEN) and OL is fixed! Then focus our draft on skill players!
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #2
Holden135
Veteran

I like the idea but your crazy if you think we have that kind of money. We will have to over pay for these players to come to Houston because of the record we currently have. We could possibly pry one of them and i hope we can atleast pull in one top notch o-lineman of any of the 5 positions. However, i think it would be reaching a bit to think we would be able to pull in 2 top linemen.
Holden135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I've always believed that FA acquisitions were to fix the team now. If you are wanting to start winning, or get to the playoffs, or make it to the AFC championship game etc..... in the next season, then you do that with FA.

If you're building for the future, you do that in the Draft... of course, there is some overlap. Unless Kubiak thinks he can fix our line with the guys we've got, we've got to get a FA to address the line.. I really like Bently, and think just that one pickup, will greatly improve our line, so I'm saying we've at least got to get Bently..... But on Defense, your first day of the draft can get you some real difference makers at all positions...
Old 01-23-2006   #4
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Yep, you got it. 2 FAs who Im sure are just dying to come to Houston will solve our O Line. So tell me Charlie Casserly, how come we haven't tried this before???

Look, yo ucant say only draft O Linemen or only sign Free Agents, it has to be a mix. But for our Texans, I dont think 2 O Linemen will fix the problem as much as we'd like it to.
Old 01-23-2006   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Casserly has brought in FA linemen in the past. McKinney, Weigert and Wade were all FA's. Not to throw a monkey in the wrench but Free agents are FREE to play for any team...that's where this gets tough with the best players. The only FA's we have brought in here in the past we have had to overpay. There will be a few playoff teams that will be looking at the elite guys.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #6
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

Why does everyone think nobody wants to play in Houston? It's all about the money. If the money is right they will come. Plus Houston is a nice city and a great place to live. And Casserly has gotten FA lineman in the past, but they have just all sucked. He forked out big money to Todd Wade & McKinney. Then signed Weigert.

If we can get Bentley to play C then McKinney can move to his natural position at G. Keep Pitts at LT and then get Nalen to play the other G. Then all you have to worry about is RT which we could find someone out of Wade, Weigert or whoever else.

Heck now that I think about it maybe all we need is Bentley to anchor the line at C. That alone would vastly improve the OL as a whole.
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #7
The Preacher
Veteran

At least you're not saying we can pick up our franchise LT in the later rounds. I wouldn't mind going D in the 1st after a trade down if we picked up one of these guys in FA but still think adding in D'Brick is my preference.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-23-2006   #8
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's Busted Carr
Why does everyone think nobody wants to play in Houston? It's all about the money. If the money is right they will come. Plus Houston is a nice city and a great place to live. And Casserly has gotten FA lineman in the past, but they have just all sucked. He forked out big money to Todd Wade & McKinney. Then signed Weigert.

If we can get Bentley to play C then McKinney can move to his natural position at G. Keep Pitts at LT and then get Nalen to play the other G. Then all you have to worry about is RT which we could find someone out of Wade, Weigert or whoever else.

Heck now that I think about it maybe all we need is Bentley to anchor the line at C. That alone would vastly improve the OL as a whole.
I read the desires of other teams on another board that I post on. Guess what, fans of every team that has even a minor issue in the OL want LeCharles Bently and steve Hutchinson. What the Texans have to do a better job of is identifying, signing and coaching of guys who are NOT the sexy name on the board.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's Busted Carr

That really helps to explain the crazy money we've had to pay for some of these guys. Look at their salaries..... it's frikkin amazing, really.
Old 01-23-2006   #10
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
What the Texans have to do a better job of is identifying, signing and coaching of guys who are NOT the sexy name on the board.
I never thought I would hear linemen being described as sexy...
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #11
jim rome
Rookie

Default absolutley no drafting ol in draft

I think you are correct in not drafting ol it is better to get them in fa because you know if they can play and its not our fault C.C. is an ***** and picks up lossers in fa that he over pays.
jim rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #12
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

OH I see. I guess you just want the Texans to draft Bush or VY, why dont you just come out and say it. We have plenty of people n this board that want to go flashy over smart. Lets go get some old FA offensive lineman so they can play for the last 4 or 5 years of their carrer and retire, or worse, loose there ability by the time the Texans are ready to really compete for a playoff/superbowl spot. Then we can have a horrible o-line again and be back to square one, needing YOUNG ATHLETIC OFFENSAIVE LIMENAN WHO WILL SOLIDIFY THE LINE FOR YEARS TO COME.

Ill take a Brick any day of the week.
Old 01-23-2006   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What the Texans have to do a better job of is identifying, signing and coaching of guys who are NOT the sexy name on the board.
So true. And that brings us back to one of our fundamental problems: coaching. But hopefully that part of the equation is solved this off-season with Kubiak coming in soon.
Old 01-23-2006   #14
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
So true. And that brings us back to one of our fundamental problems: coaching. But hopefully that part of the equation is solved this off-season with Kubiak coming in soon.
Ya know DB, I sometimes wonder if folks actually realize just how BAD the coaching was. The only thing I can come with that in my mind conveys it is INCOMPETENT with what seems to be a fairly large dose of dysfunctional. Why Dom didn't grab hold of the defense is beyond me. He is a defensive wiz, so he HAD to know it was piece of crap and anyone with halfe a brain and at least one eye to see with, could see the O-line was worthless.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #15
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
OH I see. I guess you just want the Texans to draft Bush or VY, why dont you just come out and say it. We have plenty of people n this board that want to go flashy over smart. Lets go get some old FA offensive lineman so they can play for the last 4 or 5 years of their carrer and retire, or worse, loose there ability by the time the Texans are ready to really compete for a playoff/superbowl spot. Then we can have a horrible o-line again and be back to square one, needing YOUNG ATHLETIC OFFENSAIVE LIMENAN WHO WILL SOLIDIFY THE LINE FOR YEARS TO COME.

Ill take a Brick any day of the week.

Well from your Aviator, YOU seem to be in favor of Bush/Young.
Old 01-23-2006   #16
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
I never thought I would hear linemen being described as sexy...
You must be skipping over the endless posts about D'Brick(house)ashaw Ferguson.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #17
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You must be skipping over the endless posts about D'Brick(house)ashaw Ferguson.
Yes, he is the bently of the OT's this year. But why stop at one? Let's get two, LeChares and D'brick!!
Old 01-23-2006   #18
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
Yes, he is the bently of the OT's this year. But why stop at one? Let's get two, LeChares and D'brick!!
I like it.
Old 01-24-2006   #19
bdiddy
Veteran

I want to sign Nalen to a 2 year deal w/ a club option for a 3rd year. He will be much more affordable than Bentley. Possibly go after Lepsis, but he will cost BIG dollars.

If we sign Nalen this would be the lineup:

Pitts - McKinney - Nalen - Weigart - 2nd Round Pick

If would some how could sign Nalen and Bentley, the Texans would immediately cut McKinney (he is making too much money to be the fourth best lineman).

Pitts - Bentley - Nalen - Weigart - 2nd Round Pick

This last scenario is possible if we can convince Bentley and Nalen to come to Houston. We have a lot of money tied up in the OL, but cutting McKinney would take care of Nalen's salary.
bdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006   #20
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

As far as tackle goes in the FA if we were to go after one it would probably be Schaffer from Atlanta, because he's already familiar with the system they have another FA tackle out of Atlanta and some guys besides Nalen in Denver, but I can't remember their names. If we got Schaffer we would add more credibility to our tackle position and wouldn't need to draft a lineman so high in the draft. The thing about Bentley besides the Huge amount of money he might ask for is that he might not fit the scheme we are going to try to run here. The two guys I think we should definetely target in the draft are G Setterstorm and C Enslayer, and I think we could land one or both these guys in the third. Thats my
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read