Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-23-2006   #1
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18754 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Question for Texans fans

Does anyone here really think that the team really cares what a handful of fans think should be done? Do you think the team really worries about "stealing" fans from the Cowboys by bringing in a Longhorn? Honestly, if it were that easy to get those fans, I doubt the team would want them. The Texans will do what they feel is best for the long term success of the franchise. Considering they have men who have spent their entire lives evaluating players, coaching players, and the Texans fans are comprised of a bunch of people that maybe played some in High School or college I think they will probably stick with the guys getting paid to make the decisions.

If the Texans start winning, fans will fill the seats. It won't matter if Young goes on to become the greatest ever. One man doesn't make a team. He could be the next Dan Marino and never see a ring. I'd rather have a team in the playoffs/Super Bowl each year than the next Dan Marino. That's not to say Bush is the next coming of Sanders or Sayers or whoever. I think the most important thing to get fans is to win.

I see people being called losers because they refuse to stop following the Texans if the team passes on Young. I must disagree. I fail to see what that will accomplish. Fans can be disenchanted, they can dislike moves a team makes, but on a grand scale fans don't have much say. Granted, fans can refuse to go to games as they did last season and that was a big reason Capers lost his job. There is a big difference between accepting failure and standing by the team. If I had a say in the matter it might be different, but there are only a few things I can do as a fan to show my displeasure.

Giving up game tickets...
I've paid good money for tickets, I love the game, so why would I avoid going? I don't have the income to just not use my seats and I think it's absurd to skip going to a game that you've paid money for because you are upset with the team. The team has already got the money so that won't hurt them too much.

Season Tickets...
I could not renew my tickets. I have seats in the Southern End Zone (shady side) 5 rows from the field, though. I've had these seats since they first went on sale and been to every game since preseason game 1 against the Dolphins. I'm not going to lose those seats to make a point. It will be next to impossible to get those back in a few years when they start winning.

Other costs...
I can go to the games and not buy merchandise or concessions. I don't really do much of this anyways. It's costly and since I tailgate I don't need food in the stadium. This gets impacted mostly when the stadium is half empty so I guess not showing up can do some damage. Still, from me, they gain nothing here.

Stop rooting altogether...
There have been scientific studies, but no proof that rooting actually influences a game one way or another. Making loud noise during certain times can disrupt a team, but you can do that without rooting. I mean come on, if rooting actually made a difference the Sacramento Kings would have multiple NBA Championships. Those fans are incredible even when the team is awful.

Pick a new team...
How do you go about picking a new team anyways? Do you use spreadsheets? Do you make a list of pros and cons? I can understand people watching the Titans or Cowboys because of their history. I can understand people rooting for a team from their home area. I still have a soft spot for the Broncos after growing up in Colorado. I live in Houston now, though, so that's the team for me.

Threaten to jump off a roof...
While this might get on the news, I don't think McNair would let me make the decisions based on this. He might say he will and then once I'm in a Psych Hospital they'd do what they were going to do anyways.

I realize this is rambling. It's late and I can't sleep. Kobe just dropped 81 on the Raptors and I have to be up for work in 4 hours.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #2
texman8
Veteran

Very good points, Sir. It's very obvious posters here want a certain player to be drafted by the Texans. To threaten to switch allegiances or support from TExans is weak; however,that is their free choice/will. The important thing is to support the Texans. We can question and even rant about their decisions. I had inaugral PSLs;sold them for financial reasons. I'll still support them because they are one of Houston's teams.
texman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #3
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Players, owners, and coaches come and go. The fans are the people who keep the team alive. I don't care who the Texans draft as long as it makes sense for the current coache's scheme. I think the bad part about losing a coach is that the new coach MUST use the players of the previous coach. The new coach has to deal with overpaid veterans of the previous coach. The decisions that the team makes will be fine with me.

I will not protest, because I love the Texans and I will be here even when Carr, DD, and AJ have either moved to another team or retired. Just like I am still here now that Capers, and Sharper are gone. My advise is simple. Be satisified that there is a Houston Texans. I can understand the choices that the team makes may affect some people, but not me. Good luck next year Houston Texans.
Old 01-23-2006   #4
profan
Veteran

just win baby! that will bring the fans back!
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #5
DiapHer
GO BIG RED!!!

Rep Power: 292 DiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93
Does anyone here really think that the team really cares what a handful of fans think should be done? Do you think the team really worries about "stealing" fans from the Cowboys by bringing in a Longhorn? Honestly, if it were that easy to get those fans, I doubt the team would want them. The Texans will do what they feel is best for the long term success of the franchise. Considering they have men who have spent their entire lives evaluating players, coaching players, and the Texans fans are comprised of a bunch of people that maybe played some in High School or college I think they will probably stick with the guys getting paid to make the decisions.

NO,they don't
DiapHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #6
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

First of all, saying that only a "handful of fans" want the Texans to draft VY is VERY conservative.

Secondly, has it ever occurred to you that just maybe most of those fans want the Texans to grab VY because they want to win also? It's not about converting Cowboys fans, etc. It is about the chance to have a great QB (the most important position on the field). As history has shown, those chances don't come often. Maybe also, these same fans think Bush isn't worth a #1 pick, since he isn't an every down player.

However, to answer your question, no the team isn't going to take into consideration what the fans think.

Last edited by Hookem Horns; 01-23-2006 at 11:16 AM.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #7
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

While I don't think the Texans are going to base their top draft pick on what the fans want, make no mistake about it, the Texans monitor this board. A prime example is the roof situation. A large number of fans complained after the Pittsburgh game about the heat level in the stadium, from what I understand the policy has been changed.

The draft is a problem for the Texans no matter who they pick. The Texans will take the player they think will generate the most wins as quickly as possible. In football, winning cures allot of evils. The Texan fans are very restless right now. A few wins at the beginning of the season would go a long way to quieting this fan base. Something the draft will not do.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-23-2006   #8
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

1) No, the front office won't listen to the fans per se

2) McNair might think about the fans with his pocketbook

3) Not everyone who wants VY is a Texas fan who just wants their favorite guy. They are talking about it in Dallas and other areas because they think VY is a stud with a ton of upside and leadership. They may think that Bush isn't an every down back and may wear down quick.

4) Not every Bush fan is blinded by just one game like Fresno. They want more team speed and someone that defense has to key on.

My point. There are two really incredibly gifted athletes in the draft that are also good kids that any team would want. There is also good reasons to trade down. NONE of these reasons makes a person a bad fan or a homer or a UT fan that needs ridilin.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 298525 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
If the Texans start winning, fans will fill the seats. It won't matter if Young goes on to become the greatest ever. One man doesn't make a team. He could be the next Dan Marino and never see a ring. I'd rather have a team in the playoffs/Super Bowl each year than the next Dan Marino. That's not to say Bush is the next coming of Sanders or Sayers or whoever. I think the most important thing to get fans is to win.
A lot of us think Young is the best way to get those wins. Over the long term, I can see Carr having a good year, maybe two.. But I don't see him being able to do it 4 or 5 years, and definitely not well into the future.
Quote:
I see people being called losers because they refuse to stop following the Texans if the team passes on Young. I must disagree. I fail to see what that will accomplish. Fans can be disenchanted, they can dislike moves a team makes, but on a grand scale fans don't have much say. Granted, fans can refuse to go to games as they did last season and that was a big reason Capers lost his job. There is a big difference between accepting failure and standing by the team. If I had a say in the matter it might be different, but there are only a few things I can do as a fan to show my displeasure.
personally, I don't see that many Vince Supporters with this attitude. Most of us are just voicing our opinion like the Draft Reggie crowd. I'll support the Texans, I'll pray for Carr to do well, but I will throw it in your faces, if he doesn't.
Quote:
I realize this is rambling. It's late and I can't sleep. Kobe just dropped 81 on the Raptors and I have to be up for work in 4 hours.
Sonics and Suns went into double over time.. the score was up in the 150s or something.

T-Mac dropped 41 on Detroit(DETROIT) in a 97-99 loss

But Kobe's 81 overshadowed all that......... Kids got problems, but damm. I think I'd have had to to throw some 'bows or something when he got to 60.
Old 01-23-2006   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 378037 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope the front office never listens to fans with regards to personel decisions. We'd probably never be a winning franchise if they did!

I'm a Texans fan for life, regardless of what individual players they decide to sign. I'm a fan of the team, not necessarily single players. Once they leave us and sign up with another team, they are now considered the enemy.
Old 01-23-2006   #11
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns
First of all, saying that only a "handful of fans" want the Texans to draft VY is VERY conservative.

Secondly, has it ever occurred to you that just maybe most of those fans want the Texans to grab VY because they want to win also? It's not about converting Cowboys fans, etc. It is about the chance to have a great QB (the most important position on the field). As history has shown, those chances don't come often. Maybe also, these same fans think Bush isn't worth a #1 pick, since he isn't an every down player.

However, to answer your question, no the team isn't going to take into consideration what the fans think.
Fans want W's. Fans pay to see winning, no matter who is taking the snaps. Fans grow to love winners. They grow to dislike losers.

McNair and Kubiak and Cass and Co. will do what they feel is best for the team in the long run, toward the goal of winning. If it was between Vince and another QB who were the exact same, all other things being equal, then of course they will take Vince because he is a fan favorite and a hometown guy. However, since that is not what our decision boils down to, they will make the move that they feel will produce Ws for this team. W's fill seats. Say what you want about Vince or Bush or anyone really, but if we are 4-12 this time next year, we are going to be looking at a lot of empty seats again.

I too do not understand why a "fan" would disavow this franchise simply for passing on their personal favorite player of the time, but I too will not miss their presence at our home games this year. Still, there aren't many laws when it comes to be a fan; so if you enjoy it, then do what works for you.
Old 01-23-2006   #12
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
I too do not understand why a "fan" would disavow this franchise simply for passing on their personal favorite player of the time, but I too will not miss their presence at our home games this year. Still, there aren't many laws when it comes to be a fan; so if you enjoy it, then do what works for you.
I don't think any Texans fans are going to stop being fans just because their favorite player isn't drafted. I've only seen it happen once and that was when Jerry Jones got rid of Landry the way he did. But that is something totally different.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #13
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
I hope the front office never listens to fans with regards to personel decisions. We'd probably never be a winning franchise if they did!

I'm a Texans fan for life, regardless of what individual players they decide to sign. I'm a fan of the team, not necessarily single players. Once they leave us and sign up with another team, they are now considered the enemy.
Amen, brother.

Just in case the FO is readin this: Never, ever listen to waht I say in this board. Casue I thought Leaf was going to be a stud and Manning a bust...Yeah, I kinda got that one wrong.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #14
Snapple
Veteran

I am a Longhorns fan, sure. I went to the University. I love the football team, and Vince Young made me a happy man when he toppled USC.

However, that doesn't mean that VY is purely a homer pick. People who want to see Vince want to see him because they believe he can win, not because he's marketable. The guy has done everything that has been asked of him. He leads the national in passing efficiency. He was 30/40 in completions in the national championship. He's athletic. He can pick apart a defense. He's a good decision maker. He's clutch. He handles pressure situations and big games with no sweat. Just MAYBE people actually think he should be drafted because he's GOOD, not just because he's a Longhorn. It has NOTHING to do with "stealing fans" from the Cowboys.
Snapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #15
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
I don't think any Texans fans are going to stop being fans just because their favorite player isn't drafted. I've only seen it happen once and that was when Jerry Jones got rid of Landry the way he did. But that is something totally different.
If you read a lot of these threads, you will see a handful of people "threatening" to do exactly that. I say "threaten" because they talk about it as if we are anyone in the Texans front office should be intimidated or impressed by it: this isn't a surprise, we/they are not.

A minority, sure, but a minority that I was addressing with that statement.
Old 01-23-2006   #16
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18754 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess my biggest concern about caving in to public demand and bringing in Young is that he really isn't ready to start in the NFL. Every scout has said he would have benefited from staying one more year, but how do you pass up a top 3 pick and the possibility of playing in Houston or Tennessee with your godfather. If Young continues to develop like he has over the past 3 seasons at UT he will be one of the all-time greats. Someday. QBs take a lot longer to be successful in the NFL. You can't tell me there is a QB out there that was more ready to be an NFL QB than Peyton Manning and he threw something like 122 Ints his first season. Ok, it was 28, but the team won all of 3 games that year. The same number as they did the previous year. If the Texans draft Young they have no choice but to trade Carr and start Banks and give Young time to learn. That leaves Houston with 4 wins next season. Fans won't come out to the stadium to watch Houston lose if Young isn't even playing. Granted, that would leave Houston with a great pick next season to compliment Young, but I don't think McNair wants to go through another season like this last one. I sure don't.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #17
ReggieTheRealDeal
Rookie

Good post. Im going to stand by this team no matter what, you know how long I waited for football to come back to houston, im sure not gonna stop being a fan because they didnt draft the person I wanted. Im just glad to have a football team here again.
ReggieTheRealDeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006   #18
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapple
I am a Longhorns fan, sure. I went to the University. I love the football team, and Vince Young made me a happy man when he toppled USC.

However, that doesn't mean that VY is purely a homer pick. People who want to see Vince want to see him because they believe he can win, not because he's marketable. The guy has done everything that has been asked of him. He leads the national in passing efficiency. He was 30/40 in completions in the national championship. He's athletic. He can pick apart a defense. He's a good decision maker. He's clutch. He handles pressure situations and big games with no sweat. Just MAYBE people actually think he should be drafted because he's GOOD, not just because he's a Longhorn. It has NOTHING to do with "stealing fans" from the Cowboys.
Then why aren't we talking about drafting Matt Leinart? Not a single word. He isn't even mentioned as an option.

He is much more of a pro prospect, plays in a pro style offense, has won two national championships and got his team to a thrid. He even put up big numbers against a better defense than VY faced. He is much more in the mold of all the QBs that have ever won the superbowl.

Why not Matt Leinart?

If VY is so great, how could he slip to the Titans if the Texans don't take him?

Last edited by LBC_Justin; 01-24-2006 at 12:10 AM.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006   #19
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC_Justin
Then why aren't we talking about drafting Matt Leinart? Not a single word. He isn't even mentioned as an option.

He is much more of a pro prospect, plays in a pro style offense, has won two national championships and got his team to a thrid. He even put up big numbers against a better defense than VY faced. He is much more in the mold of all the QBs that have ever won the superbowl.

Why not Matt Leinart?

If VY is so great, how could he slip to the Titans if the Texans don't take him?
Well, me personally, I've never been sold on Leinart. I'll take VY over Leinart anyday. Every time I've watched Leinart, I haven't really been impressed. Yes, he's put up good stats but I've never watched him and thought "Man, he's going to wreck the NFL one day."

As far as fitting the "mold of all the QBs that have ever won the SB,"....what does that matter? Just b/c there has never been someone like VY to do it before, doesn't mean that he won't take a team there. Maybe he'll redifine the postition. Heck, there's never been a QB like him before...ever IMO. Non w/ that size and athleticism. What's wrong w/ breaking the mold? Think outside the box. I'm not trying to predict the future, but maybe he will be that great...just b/c someone like him hasn't done it yet, doesn't mean that they never will.

As far as why VY will slip to TN if we don't take him.....b/c NO has the pick. They are more interested in a traditional passer b/c they are scarred by a running QB named A.Brooks. And, if anything, just the fact that the Saints think Leinart is the better QB should prove that he is not. LOL.
AustinJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006   #20
TreWardTxn
Veteran

Quote:
I see what you tryin to say, but your viewpoint is very shortsigthed. The bottom line is that the organization, meaning McNair, is very interested in "stealing" fans from the Cowboys in the Austin and San Antonio area (TX in general) because it means extra $$$$$. Everyone in TX has some connection to the Texas Longhorns, whether they're alumni, know friends, family, hate it, whatever...If people in Austin and SA want to see the Texans play (for whatever reason), it will generate more money for the TV affiliate, more exposure for the Texans, which equals more money for McNair. Furthermore, maybe McNair doesn't care about potential "fans" outside Houston, but he certainly cares about filling those seats at Reliant and right or wrong, there is one player that will definetely do that for at least 3 years...
TreWardTxn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read