Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-23-2006   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Let's just imagine we do trade....

.... with Tenessee..... and with the Third pick, we take D'Brick

what happens to bush??

Forget about why it is/isn't a good idea to take Ferguson with the #3 pick, that isn't important to this discussion. the Fact is we didn't draft Reggie, so where does he go??
Old 01-23-2006   #2
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 4489 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

he goes 4th to the jets.
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #3
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexanator
he goes 4th to the jets.
Exactly. It would probaly be the fastest pick of the first round.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #4
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

No brainer.
Old 01-23-2006   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay, then if Reggie is all that, why does he drop to the 4th pick and Vince gets picked up by Tennesee??

What's so different between our team and Tennesee(sp)?? Why is it such a big deal if we pass on Reggie, but Tennesee & N.O. will(without a doubt) pass on Reggie?? & it understandable??

If you're in the Trade Down group, that's fine, this isn't intended to be a trade down vs... anything else. Neither is it a Reggie vs Vince thread... this is just a Why should we draft Reggie @ #1 overall.
Old 01-23-2006   #6
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

New Orleans is going to pass on Reggie Bush because they have no quarterback and they just signed Deuce McAlister to a 8 year $68 million contract.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #7
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

He (Reggie Bush) might go to Tenn, I hadn't really thought of it. I just assumed that since McNair is nearly done they will need a young QB, as Volek is likely to jump ship soon.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Tenn drafted Bush, reconnect with Bush and Chow.

The only way VY goes before Bush in the draf tis if we trade the pick.
Sponsored links
Old 01-23-2006   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
New Orleans is going to pass on Reggie Bush because they have no quarterback and they just signed Deuce McAlister to a 8 year $68 million contract.

And we've signed DD:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morknolle
Domanick Davis......$3,806,160 to keep, $8,424,640 if cut/traded, 25 years old, signed thru 2009: Whether people like it or not we've signe him as our franchise RB.
Old 01-23-2006   #9
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
And we've signed DD:
That same arguement can be used agaisnt VY, too.
Old 01-23-2006   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy
That same arguement can be used agaisnt VY, too.

After we pick up David's option.
Old 01-23-2006   #11
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

I dont think Tennesee trades up with us, at first I thought about it, actually started a thread about how we could trade down twice via Tenn, then down to NY to the 4th and pick up Feguson and 2 second rounders and a 1st from next year, but I though about it, either way it goes they get one of the big 3, they are able to connect a Trojan with his former Off. Coordinator or they put VY with his mentor, they have no reason to trade up. But we might trade down to 4 and let NY pick Bush.
Old 01-23-2006   #12
Glacier
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
I dont think Tennesee trades up with us, at first I thought about it, actually started a thread about how we could trade down twice via Tenn, then down to NY to the 4th and pick up Feguson and 2 second rounders and a 1st from next year, but I though about it, either way it goes they get one of the big 3, they are able to connect a Trojan with his former Off. Coordinator or they put VY with his mentor, they have no reason to trade up. But we might trade down to 4 and let NY pick Bush.
That would be a decent move, imo.
Glacier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #13
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Okay, then if Reggie is all that, why does he drop to the 4th pick and Vince gets picked up by Tennesee??

What's so different between our team and Tennesee(sp)?? Why is it such a big deal if we pass on Reggie, but Tennesee & N.O. will(without a doubt) pass on Reggie?? & it understandable??

If you're in the Trade Down group, that's fine, this isn't intended to be a trade down vs... anything else. Neither is it a Reggie vs Vince thread... this is just a Why should we draft Reggie @ #1 overall.
Because that is the only position we will be able to take him in.

If Tennesse trades up it is to grab Bush or Leinart, not Vince Young. New Orleans would probably pass on Vince Young and go with Cutler. They have no interest in what THEY VIEW as a better Micheal Brooks clone, they have been the Mobile QB route and they have no interest this time around.
In your senario Bush goes #1 to Tenn, Leinart goes #2, D'Brick goes #3(even though he probably won't be in the top 5 in reality), #4 New York AJ Hawk (too much $$$$ invested in Pennington), #5 Greenbay not VY, they got Aaron Rogers last year, #6 San Fran won't take VY because they got Alex Smith, #7 Oakland Raiders take Vince Young.

In reality if the Texans traded down to #3 they wouldn't take D'Brick, they would take Vince Young probably. But if they don't take VY then he is going to slip to the 7th pick unless someone trades up to get him. I wouldn't be totally shocked if Cutler snuck in before him.

Keep in mind in an ESPN poll done after the rose bowl, every single state(including Texas) voted that Reggie Bush should be the top pick in the draft.

I am a Longhorn, but after the emotion wears off and the scouts get down and dirty with the film, VY is not going to be graded as high as people think.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC_Justin
Because that is the only position we will be able to take him in.

If Tennesse trades up it is to grab Bush or Leinart, not Vince Young.

I am a Longhorn, but after the emotion wears off and the scouts get down and dirty with the film, VY is not going to be graded as high as people think.

This is the first I've heard of anyone other than us taking Reggie Bush #1 in the draft. And that's the only thing I'm getting at. ignore the Vince young thing in my signature, that is just there to annoy the guys who want reggie Bush. the guy that no one could pass on..... kinda like Ricky Williams, and we all know how that turned out.

I understand you slipping and sliding Young down the list there to get under my skin, but we both know that won't happen.

I'm also betting Vince is going to floor every team with his interview, and that's gonna blow his score, off the charts.
Old 01-23-2006   #15
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
See...THAT is where i disagree with you. It's just an opinion, and we'll all know after the combine; but until then, it's just an opinion and nothing more.

I tend to think that there are soooooo many questions about VY by many people b/c, among other reasons, he seems too good to be true, other running QBs have created a generalized opinion that running QBs can't pass the ball and therefore can't succeed in the NFL, and a lot of the people haven't seen him play on a regular basis.

I think that people will be surprised by VY's throwing drills, workouts, and interviews. I actually think that he will wipe away some of the doubts about his playing ability and actually be graded higher then, than he is now.
AustinJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #16
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
See I also disagree with you there. I think that when it is all said a dn done, after the combine, proday, interviews and individual workouts that VY will be graded higher than Vick was coming out of college.

My reasons are, VY is bigger and taller than Vick at 6'5 230.
Coming out of college Vick had a stronger arm, but VY is alot more accurate than Mike was.
Yes Young has a bad throwing motion, but he is 6'5 so he can get away with it, not many passes will be batted down.
VY has never sat out a game because of injury as far as I can remeber.
And most of all VY has proven that he can be an amazing team leader. I have never seen anyone lead a team like he can. He is never rattled and histeam is confident that he can make the big play when it counts. He has a great attitude and if you are a coach, youknow that he will work hard to live up to his potential.
Old 01-23-2006   #17
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Quote:
This is the first I've heard of anyone other than us taking Reggie Bush #1 in the draft. And that's the only thing I'm getting at. ignore the Vince young thing in my signature, that is just there to annoy the guys who want reggie Bush. the guy that no one could pass on..... kinda like Ricky Williams, and we all know how that turned out.

I understand you slipping and sliding Young down the list there to get under my skin, but we both know that won't happen.

I'm also betting Vince is going to floor every team with his interview, and that's gonna blow his score, off the charts.
Ummm do you remember the last game of our season was called the Bush Bowl. No one is talking about anyone else getting Bush because we would be crazy to let him slip past us.

Go to the Jets forums and start a poll who they would rather have VY or Reggie Bush...actually go to ANY TEAMS fourms and you will get the same answer. Many people don't even see Vince Young as the best QB in the draft, some have him as the #3 QB. I know that is crazy to many people outside of Texas. In Southern California the VAST majority of people think Leinart is a NO BRAINER over VY. While I agree they are totally bias, I think that the people in Texas have the same bias towards VY.

If you think Vince Young will do a great job during the interviews wait till you hear Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart interview. These guys are pros and have been in the lime light for a while, they know what pressue is all about and they are proven winners too. Both of them are way way way more articulate than Vince Young and come across as more inteligent. That matters a lot when choosing a QB. Other positions it wouldn't matter as much.

I didn't have him slipping to get under your skin. If Vince Young does not get taken with the 1st, 2nd or 3rd pick he IS going to slip down to 7th, unless someone trades up to get him(which probably would happen but I won't even begin to speculate when and where that would happen). The reason he slips that far is all about Money all of those other teams have a lot of $$$$ invested in Young QBs. But this is probably all a mute point because the Titan are going to pick him at #3.
Old 01-23-2006   #18
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJB
See...THAT is where i disagree with you. It's just an opinion, and we'll all know after the combine; but until then, it's just an opinion and nothing more.

I tend to think that there are soooooo many questions about VY by many people b/c, among other reasons, he seems too good to be true, other running QBs have created a generalized opinion that running QBs can't pass the ball and therefore can't succeed in the NFL, and a lot of the people haven't seen him play on a regular basis.

I think that people will be surprised by VY's throwing drills, workouts, and interviews. I actually think that he will wipe away some of the doubts about his playing ability and actually be graded higher then, than he is now.
The people that matter will probably have seen EVERY single snap he has ever made from College and high school. What they will see is that he takes every snap from the Shotgun position, which makes it easier to read the defenses and unfortunately is not an option in the pro game. Will VY be successful in the NFL? I have no doubt about it in my mind. But there are to many question marks that make him a real stretch with the #1 pick. Bush is a sure thing. Which is good news for the Texans since that is the pick we have.

Vince Young isn't going to do anything at the Combine. He may interview, get weighed and measured but he won't run and he won't throw. Why? because after his Rose Bowl performance anything he does will only make his stock go down. I don't blame him.

People aren't interested in the next better version of Mike Vick (maybe last year). This years trend is that people want a Big Ben, Tom Brady, Carson Palmer or Peyton Manning.

Hook'em Horns!!!!
Old 01-23-2006   #19
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
See I also disagree with you there. I think that when it is all said a dn done, after the combine, proday, interviews and individual workouts that VY will be graded higher than Vick was coming out of college.

My reasons are, VY is bigger and taller than Vick at 6'5 230.
Coming out of college Vick had a stronger arm, but VY is alot more accurate than Mike was.
Yes Young has a bad throwing motion, but he is 6'5 so he can get away with it, not many passes will be batted down.
VY has never sat out a game because of injury as far as I can remeber.
And most of all VY has proven that he can be an amazing team leader. I have never seen anyone lead a team like he can. He is never rattled and histeam is confident that he can make the big play when it counts. He has a great attitude and if you are a coach, youknow that he will work hard to live up to his potential.
I agree with everything you said that I have bolded. But....the same thing can almost be said about every player in the top 5 of the draft.
Reggie Bush
Matt Leinart
Vince Young
AJ Hawk
and a few other in the top layer all have these qualities. THAT IS WHY THEY ARE GOING TO BE THE TOP PICKS.
Old 01-23-2006   #20
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I agree with everything you said that I have bolded. But....the same thing can almost be said about every player in the top 5 of the draft.
Reggie Bush
Matt Leinart
Vince Young
AJ Hawk
and a few other in the top layer all have these qualities. THAT IS WHY THEY ARE GOING TO BE THE TOP PICKS.
So are you telling me that you have heard of all of these players being the type of leader that VY is? So all these people have changed their coaches pre-game ritual. Got the coach to allow the players to have fun before the game. You have seen clips of these other people dancing on Sports Center before the Rose Bowl. I dont think so. VY inspires his team more than anyone Ive ever seen, he forces them to have fun and be active. HE keeps them loose. VY is the best leader to come out of the draft in the past few years, maybe since John ELway.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read