Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-22-2006   #1
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

Default Interesting observation about McNair's Kubiak hiring

I just finished reading Bob McNair's press briefing about the hiring of Gary Kubiak! EXCELLENT hiring too, I'm very excited about that! Anyway, McNair repeatedly says that Kubiak's hometown roots were one of the MAJOR factors in the ultimate decision to offer Kubiak the job. He must say that at least 5 or 6 times.

Hmmmm, makes you think a little bit about how McNair would think about drafting hometown product Vince Young. I know Kubiak will have major pull with this pick, but McNair will ultimately have to sign off on the pick and if Houston roots are that important to him Vince might be his guy. Especially for a QB which is the face of your franchise! Plus you get Kubiak (Aggie) and VY (Longhorn) and you're covered!

And a side note. I'm thinking Denver getting waxed and Plummer having a horrible game might have Kubiak view Carr a little differently. Carr and Plummer have extremely similar styles and maybe Kubiak will now look at his last game with Plummer and realize he needs better than an average "game manager" QB!
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #2
Mario Williams
Rookie

Not another VY thread.
Old 01-22-2006   #3
bakerooskie
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to bakerooskie
Default Sorry, this was posted on the wrong thread...

Well, if hometown roots is better basis for taking the number 1 draft pick, I wanna know when talent went out of the door... Vince Young is a great athlete, but Reggie Bush is too good a player to pass up... This guy has proven that everytime he puts on a uniform, he makes big things happen... We have a quarterback, we just need to use him better, give him a little more protection, we have great hands to throw it too with Andre Johnson and Corey Bradford, Jabar Gaffney too... We need to focus on our pass protection, and David Carr will put out tremendous numbers... With Reggie Bush, it's a double threat offense... Think it over...
Old 01-22-2006   #4
bakerooskie
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to bakerooskie
Default Nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush
Not another VY thread.

QB: Carr
RB: Bush/ Davis
WR: Johnson/ Mathis
CB: Robinson

'06 Texans
I love that atitude bro...
Old 01-22-2006   #5
Big78
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Big78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerooskie
we have great hands to throw it too with Andre Johnson and Corey Bradford, Jabar Gaffney too...
Did someone just say that corey BRADFORD had good hands? alright thats it, take ur stool and go sit in the corner.:brickwall
Big78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #6
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44358 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's Busted Carr

And a side note. I'm thinking Denver getting waxed and Plummer having a horrible game might have Kubiak view Carr a little differently. Carr and Plummer have extremely similar styles and maybe Kubiak will now look at his last game with Plummer and realize he needs better than an average "game manager" QB!
I love the David Carr haters. Any chance they get to bash Carr they take it. Like sharks when smell blood in the water.

I hate to point out to all who are bashing Carr thru Plummer, but didnt Plummer help his team to a division win and the AFC championship? Two years with Kubiak and Plummer has turned his career around.
TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Bradford will be joining James Allen in the recording studio.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-22-2006   #8
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big78
Did someone just say that corey BRADFORD had good hands? alright thats it, take ur stool and go sit in the corner.:brickwall
my thoughts exactly....bradford with good hands...aint that a joke. Yeah, he has good hands if banks is throwing him the ball...but seeing as how thats not going to happen on a regular basis...he can should of had his bags packed A LONG TIME AGO.
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #9
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I don't care whether he's from Houston or not. He hasn't lived here in over 20 years so I don't know if that was that big of a factor. I just wanted the coach that's best suited for the job and I think that is him. Hire the guy who we think will help us turn this ship around, don't hire him just because he's from Houston.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #10
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED
I love the David Carr haters. Any chance they get to bash Carr they take it. Like sharks when smell blood in the water.

I hate to point out to all who are bashing Carr thru Plummer, but didnt Plummer help his team to a division win and the AFC championship? Two years with Kubiak and Plummer has turned his career around.

I agree.

People are failing to take into account that Pitt's D has been falt out amazing the last month or so. But is that being taken into account in all of the Plummer/Carr comparisons...of course not. We don't want to do anything put praise VY here @ vinceyoung.com
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #11
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I just finished reading Bob McNair's press briefing about the hiring of Gary Kubiak! EXCELLENT hiring too, I'm very excited about that! Anyway, McNair repeatedly says that Kubiak's hometown roots were one of the MAJOR factors in the ultimate decision to offer Kubiak the job. He must say that at least 5 or 6 times.

Hmmmm, makes you think a little bit about how McNair would think about drafting hometown product Vince Young. I know Kubiak will have major pull with this pick, but McNair will ultimately have to sign off on the pick and if Houston roots are that important to him Vince might be his guy. Especially for a QB which is the face of your franchise! Plus you get Kubiak (Aggie) and VY (Longhorn) and you're covered!

I disagree. I feel the hiring of Kubiak was a big, big mistake. Capers led an infant, totally inexperienced team to the cusp of a .500 season and McNair threw him under the bus for one bad season. Both the Steelers and the Seahawks had coaches who had bad seasons with a lot better teams behind them, but the front office stayed with them and have been rewarded with trips to the Super Bowl. Houston, on the other hand, jettisoned a coach with a proven track record and instead brought in a homeboy who has as much NFL head coaching experience as I do and has a spotty post-Elway record as an OC of a loaded offense. It wouldn't surprise me if McNair went out and hired Bucky Richardson as QBs coach, Marshall Applewhite as OC, Earl Campbell as RBs coach and "White Shoes" Johnson as receivers coach. This whole thing is just ridiculous.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Cowhers has had 3 losing seasons out of 14 with only two being back to back (his 7th and 8th seasons). Holmgren has had 2 losing seasons out of 14 with none back to back. I like Capers but c'mon, your examples kick harder than they shoot.

For those on the MB who don't know, Bobo is a Titans fan so take his posts for what they are worth in terms of wanting the Texans to succeed.
Old 01-22-2006   #13
justtxyank
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 justtxyank is a quality contributor and well respectedjusttxyank is a quality contributor and well respectedjusttxyank is a quality contributor and well respectedjusttxyank is a quality contributor and well respectedjusttxyank is a quality contributor and well respectedjusttxyank is a quality contributor and well respectedjusttxyank is a quality contributor and well respectedjusttxyank is a quality contributor and well respectedjusttxyank is a quality contributor and well respectedjusttxyank is a quality contributor and well respectedjusttxyank is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
I disagree. I feel the hiring of Kubiak was a big, big mistake. Capers led an infant, totally inexperienced team to the cusp of a .500 season and McNair threw him under the bus for one bad season. Both the Steelers and the Seahawks had coaches who had bad seasons with a lot better teams behind them, but the front office stayed with them and have been rewarded with trips to the Super Bowl. Houston, on the other hand, jettisoned a coach with a proven track record and instead brought in a homeboy who has as much NFL head coaching experience as I do and has a spotty post-Elway record as an OC of a loaded offense. It wouldn't surprise me if McNair went out and hired Bucky Richardson as QBs coach, Marshall Applewhite as OC, Earl Campbell as RBs coach and "White Shoes" Johnson as receivers coach. This whole thing is just ridiculous.
Pull the stick out of your butt and evaluate what you just said.

Kubiak has had a spotty record as offensive coordinator? How so? Because it consistently ranks in the top ten with quarterbacks like Steve Buerline, Brian Griese, and Jake Plummer at the helm? Or because of the studley backs not named Portis who have rushed for great seasons?

Nothing wrong with doubting him as a hire, but try not to throw out dumb reasons to attack him.
justtxyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Well, if hometown roots is better basis for taking the number 1 draft pick, I wanna know when talent went out of the door... Vince Young is a great athlete, but Reggie Bush is too good a player to pass up... This guy has proven that everytime he puts on a uniform, he makes big things happen... We have a quarterback, we just need to use him better, give him a little more protection, we have great hands to throw it too with Andre Johnson and Corey Bradford, Jabar Gaffney too... We need to focus on our pass protection, and David Carr will put out tremendous numbers... With Reggie Bush, it's a double threat offense... Think it over...
We are the Houston Texans.... If we draft Vince Young, we do not have to give up the rest of our draft. We will still have other picks. We've already got the #1 overall, we do not have to trade away our probowlers, and subsequent draft picks to get it.

If you don't think Vince Young is Talented...... you don't know what talent is.

Personally, I'd take a T.E. with my second pick, and do my best to get LeCharles Bently........ If that isn't enough to get Carr over the hump, Vince comes off the bench.
Old 01-22-2006   #15
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
im going to guess an o-line is the difference between jake and carr.(on a side note your username really made me expect an impartial and unbiased view). look at all the qbs that struggled and performed well in the playoffs.
Seattle, steelers-excellent o-line and blitz pick-up. Manning,both jakes, byron,simms,brunell,eli all struggled when their o-line was bad- hell look at culpepper he was horrible this year when his o-line got injured and performed badly- no qb is good when he has a crap o-line...what do you think is going to happen if leinart or young are brought in.. that the immobile leinart or young who cant throw accurately and will have a spy on him will have time and make great throws etc. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #16
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44358 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
We are the Houston Texans.... If we draft Vince Young, we do not have to give up the rest of our draft. We will still have other picks. We've already got the #1 overall, we do not have to trade away our probowlers, and subsequent draft picks to get it.

If you don't think Vince Young is Talented...... you don't know what talent is.

Are you Vince Youngs Agent?
TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #17
LoneStarState
Veteran

I'm willing to bet Kubiak's experience and qualifications played a more important role in his being hired than where he's from. And to try to relate McNair's statements about Kubiak's roots to VY being the number 1 pick is RIDICULOUS!
Old 01-22-2006   #18
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

plus maybe this is mcnairs hiring of a hometown guy to appease fans who will be upset when he drafts bush or trades the pick
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #19
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 80316 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Vince Young is a great athlete, but Reggie Bush is too good a player to pass up... This guy has proven that everytime he puts on a uniform, he makes big things happen...
First off, VY is a great QB not just athlete (it's ok to say an African American guy is a great QB without referring to him as just a great athlete). The same argument can be made that VY is too great of a player to pass up, and your last quote is more appropriate for VY. Everytime HE puts on a uniform things happen, like winning and pulling a National Championship out of his wazoo. Where was Bush when the game was on the line? Heck, where was Bush during a lot of the 4th QTR? I watching the game again on ESPN Classic and noticed him on the sideline during a lot of plays in the 4th QTR.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #20
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns
Where was Bush when the game was on the line? Heck, where was Bush during a lot of the 4th QTR? I watching the game again on ESPN Classic and noticed him on the sideline during a lot of plays in the 4th QTR.
Bush was on the sideline during the 4th b/c he wasn't having a Bush-like game b/c the first defender was getting him down almost every time (couldn't outjuke/outrun the defenders on a good defense). L.White was far more effective as a runner against a good defense, which is why I think he will be a better pro than Bush.

BTW, against the best defense that VY faced (Ohio St.), he fared pretty well. And for all of you that say "VY won't be able to run as much in the NFL".....guess what? I agree. Against the best defense that he faced all year, they wouldn't let him run....what did he do? He just decided to throw the ball to beat them w/ a TD pass in the waning seconds to win the game. And he stood in the pocket and did it w/ just as much poise as he did when he ran the ball in the Rose Bowl. I know, I know....it's probably hard for some of you to believe that a "running QB" didn't actually run, but rather PASSED to win a game against his toughest competition. That's the difference between VY and the previous known running QBs....he's far superior as a passer than any of them were (and as a runner too according to their stats).
AustinJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read