Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kubiak prefers Carr.

Nighthawk

Rookie
This from the ESPN announcement tonight.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2302213

"A Broncos source told ESPN's Chris Mortensen last week that the Texans told USC that Reggie Bush would be selected with the No. 1 pick, despite a rise in public sentiment after the Rose Bowl that Houston select Texas quarterback Vince Young.

That assurance was given because it was in line with Kubiak's philosophy.

A Broncos source told Mortensen that Kubiak believes current Houston quarterback David Carr can flourish with a new offense headlined by Bush and wide receiver Andre Johnson."

If you were hoping that this franchise might turn around, recognize its weaknesses, and act accordingly, this has to give you pause.

So now all you Kubiak lovers, are all of a sudden Kubiak haters, because he chose Carr over VY?

That has got to be really shallow. :loser :thumbdown

looking at the ratings on another thread and looking at our average of running outside.. we just don't do it.. and the lack of speed (hello Hollings) that never developed on the team hurts us.

I would like to see some speed at RB .. I'd like to see a toss sweep once in a while with AJ blocking out front.

Personally, until Kubiak proves that he's not worth the HC job he's about to get, I have full faith in him. Im going to try to keep this from turning into another Bush-Vince-Trade Down debate as best I can, but if we want a player just to run toss sweeps with, why waste the 1st overall on someone? Why not draft a speed back in the middle of the draft? Personally, I see too many other needs and too great a cost to get rid of our 1st with a want-type player who would split time.

Kubiak has got my support... I think he can turn this offense around. I think David has got the skills to flourish, he just needs a new type of offense to work with, and a good O-Line to protect him...

Marcus said:
So now all you Kubiak lovers, are all of a sudden Kubiak haters, because he chose Carr over VY?

Are you asking us to assume that Kubiak has more football knowledge in general and more insight into the Texans specifically than the fan who sat in section blah-blah-blah all season?

:rolleyes:

Be nice to use our number one to assure that we get the offensive lineman from Va. and Ohio State's AJ Hawk. How could that be made possible?

who is the Olineman from VA? Dbrick?

hmm.. its possible I would think.. it would involve trading down to #4.. then drafting dbrick and using the rest of our draft to trade back up to the #5-7 spot.

Not worth it IMO. Dbrick isnt head and shoulders better than the other OTs coming out that are graded as 1st round talent.. and may not fit our scheme anyway.

trade down to #4.. get Mario Williams.. get an extra 2nd and 3rd rounder out of the deal.. then use your 3 thirds to trade back into the 2nd and grab three of the 1st round quality players that slipped out of the 1st.

Thats what id like to see :).. 4 1st round prospects sounds better than Bush or Young to me.

Boxscore said:
Be nice to use our number one to assure that we get the offensive lineman from Va. and Ohio State's AJ Hawk. How could that be made possible?

Getting D'Brick and A.J. Hawk for the number one pick would have me stoked. But the VY crowd wouldn't have anything to do with it.

LORK 88 said:
Im going to try to keep this from turning into another Bush-Vince-Trade Down debate as best I can, but if we want a player just to run toss sweeps with, why waste the 1st overall on someone? Why not draft a speed back in the middle of the draft? Personally, I see too many other needs and too great a cost to get rid of our 1st with a want-type player who would split time.

Seriously... that's the best you can do to keep this from becoming a Bush-Vince-Trade Down debate?
LOL

Marcus said:
Getting D'Brick and A.J. Hawk for the number one pick would have me stoked. But the VY crowd wouldn't have anything to do with it.

I think VY's chances of playing in Houston just croked. Not trying to debate whether he is the best choice or not, but it looks like it's all about Bush or Trade Down at this point. Of course, we should probably be way more concerned with who our coordinators will be.

Marcus said:

Kubiak has not chosen Carr over Vick.

They were referencing what Kubiak had to say in regards to Carr, not a Carr vs Vince question, not a will you draft bush question, and that statement was made before Vince declared for the Draft. No one, that I know of yet has asked Kubiak about Vince yet.

The Mortenson reference was to McNair saying that Reggie will be picked. Saying that it is inline with Kubiaks philosophy(of which, I have not heard).

:homer:

HJam72 said:
I think VY's chances of playing in Houston just croked. Not trying to debate whether he is the best choice or not, but it looks like it's all about Bush or Trade Down at this point. Of course, we should probably be way more concerned with who our coordinators will be.

Sounds like McNair is still trying to cash in on the Bush Hype.... he wants people to believe we are taking regie to make the pick more valuable. he'll be given a Saints/Vikings like deal and won't be able to turn it down, and no one not even the Houstonian VY crowd will be able to blame him.

Coming from Kubiak it is actually surprising that he would be willing to take bush number one such a small back kind of like Tatum Bell Just way overhyped. if the case is taking a RB i would prefer to have De-angelo Williams At least someone who is going to be on the field for more than 15 plays.

but my opinion regarding this draft is V.Y should be our pick if not trade down and grab some more picks i just dont see us having Bush for a long perion of time may be 2 years until some DT tackles him and breaks him and half.

thunderkyss said:
Sounds like McNair is still trying to cash in on the Bush Hype.... he wants people to believe we are taking regie to make the pick more valuable. he'll be given a Saints/Vikings like deal and won't be able to turn it down, and no one not even the Houstonian VY crowd will be able to blame him.

That would be NICE!

Kubiak is familiar with multiple backs who can run the ball and give defenses a tough time all game long due to fresh legs and change-of-pace.

Other than the scenario of trading down to be able to acquire a stud O lineman and to therefore ALSO be able to get back up in the draft line to snag another top-tier player....the Reggie Bush pick will be made.

Kubiak will try and salvage Carr's career. Carr is leaps and bounds more talented than Plummer, just gotta' get the guy some better coaching (and not just for Carr...for the WHOLE TEAM, too, which will happen...). I'd take Carr on his worst day over Plummer on his best day.

Amazing. We're not even one full day into the Kubiak era and he's already getting blasted by a fan for "wanting Carr."

Reggie Bush is extremely talented, he is undersized but makes up for that with tremendous speed and running power... He is a work horse, he can pound his way through the inside, or bounce to the outside, and make plays happen out of nothing... He can make a tackler miss, he can go out every game and put up HUGE numbers, and he will give you more than just 15 plays, he is in excellent shape... Now, crunch the numbers and tell me why he should not be chosen as the number one draft pick this year...

And what if Kubiak grabbed LenDale White at No. 1?

Wouldn't THAT make a splash in the sportsworld?

Kubiak will definately make things happen for us. He may even be able to take our OL and improve it a little bit with the little talent we have

Samer said:
Kubiak will definately make things happen for us. He may even be able to take our OL and improve it a little bit with the little talent we have

I love it, that is a great way to look at this whole deal...

Samer said:

His willingness to use cut blocks to seal the cut back lane alone could benefit the Texans greatly. Pendry was quoted as saying he didn't think cut blocks were necessary to a successful zone blocking scheme and IMO that was one glaring absence in the Texans' running game.

thunderkyss said:
Kubiak has not chosen Carr over Vick.

They were referencing what Kubiak had to say in regards to Carr, not a Carr vs Vince question,:homer:

Keep clicking those ruby slippers Dorothy.:ok:

gpshafer_1976 said:
Carr is leaps and bounds more talented than Plummer, just gotta' get the guy some better coaching (and not just for Carr...for the WHOLE TEAM, too, which will happen...). I'd take Carr on his worst day over Plummer on his best day.

Amazing. We're not even one full day into the Kubiak era and he's already getting blasted by a fan for "wanting Carr."

What has Carr done in 4 years to make you come to this conclusion? I'll be the first to admit that I hope you are right but I have seen nothing out of Carr to make me think he is better than Plummer or any other winning QB out there.

For the record that ESPN report is the SAME one that came out last week when McNair denied it and said they haven't begun scouting all the players available. Also, it doesn't say one thing about what Kubiak thinks or has decided.

Mutliple Hook 'Ems is driving me bonkers. Can you guys go to a legal mediation session and help us all out?

You said you "hoped" I am right. You've just about lost all faith in this team, and I wish you'd get positive again.

It's like you're so caught up in the past that you're just absolutely sure that it will repeat itself. I'm telling ya' like I;ve said all season long: This whole TEAM imploded after the Cleveland game of 2004. No single player could un-do what Capers and his staff worked so hard at accomplishing: Proving to the world that "their" keep-it-close-and-win-it-in-the-end philosophy is a winner in today's NFL.

Seattle.

Pittsburgh.

Heck, even the Patriots for the past few years.

Those teams get you down and KEEP you down. Vanderjagt is right: Dungy and Peyton don't know how to go for the jugular. And it COST them two years in a row. Dude missed the kick. I know that. But he's right.

Carr. Mathis. DD. AJ. Bush? All of these guys are explosive players that Capers has or "would have" ruined with his personal pet philosophy that earns the coaches the credit if they win and gives the players a big "F" if they lose it in the end when it was so darned close!

Better coaching by a guy like Kubiak who understands offense and how the best offense is a BEST OFFENSE (and not a good defense, as the Bears showed last week).

Yes, Hook Em Horns. The answer is YES. Come back to us. Join us. A chorus of the positive and a beacon of light throughout the darkness of offseason desperation!!!!!!!!!

ESPN is still recycling that old Mort report as filler for the new article, eh?

I think Reggie is still going to be the pick, but Kubiak's evaluation has barely even begun. Nothing has been decided yet.

It'll be quite the coup if Kubiak brings Carr to that "other level" (whatever that is, lol), but if I were him, I wouldn't hitch my first head coaching wagon to such a question mark.

Marcus said:

What do you expect man. C'mon. I saw this coming the second Denver lost. I just think it will be funny how many of them are going to come running back if we start to roll.

bigTEXan8 said:
I just think it will be funny how many of them are going to come running back if we start to roll.

And what will happen if Bush proves to be average, Carr still sucks, we're still losing, and VY is tearing it up in TN? Will you fess up and eat crow and wish we had made a different decision?

Don't get me wrong...I may not speak for all VY fans, but I hope this isn't the case. Whether we get VY or not, I'm not going to quit supporting the team, so I won't have to "come running back if we start to roll."

The fact that many of the anti-VY fans seem to not be grasping is, many don't think we will be a winning team w/ Carr.....EVER. And by "winning team" I mean SB contender. Carr is, and always will be (even if mildly successful in the future), an average QB. Why did we pick him #1? Management saw him as the best choice at the time. THAT #1 pick was the one that we screwed up. Just b/c we messed up then, why should we continue to try to make it work. Admit it may not have been the best decision and move on. 'Oh, but we'll be starting over if we take VY'. Agian, we were 2-14 w/ a QB that is not showing continual improvement. What does it take to start over?.....0-16??!! Carr may improve to average under Kubiak rather than horrible, but I have to believe that VY would excel to greatness under Kubiak. That is the difference. We messed up the #1 pick before, let's not do that this time.

And all of this Kubiak prefers Carr talk is non-sense at this point anyway. This is being pulled from a report that is 3 weeks old? LOL! Give me a break! Maybe once Kubes gives his press conference, spends time w/ Carr, spends time w/ VY during workouts, analyzes more of the draft, evaluates the rest of the team, etc......and he makes an official statement (not through "un-named" sources) regarding his preference of which way to go in the draft or who he prefers, THEN it will be newsworthy. Until then....not so much:brickwall

AustinJB said:
And what will happen if Bush proves to be average, Carr still sucks, we're still losing, and VY is tearing it up in TN? Will you fess up and eat crow and wish we had made a different decision?

Don't get me wrong...I may not speak for all VY fans, but I hope this isn't the case. Whether we get VY or not, I'm not going to quit supporting the team, so I won't have to "come running back if we start to roll."

The fact that many of the anti-VY fans seem to not be grasping is, many don't think we will be a winning team w/ Carr.....EVER. And by "winning team" I mean SB contender. Carr is, and always will be (even if mildly successful in the future), an average QB. Why did we pick him #1? Management saw him as the best choice at the time. THAT #1 pick was the one that we screwed up. Just b/c we messed up then, why should we continue to try to make it work. Admit it may not have been the best decision and move on. 'Oh, but we'll be starting over if we take VY'. Agian, we were 2-14 w/ a QB that is not showing continual improvement. What does it take to start over?.....0-16??!! Carr may improve to average under Kubiak rather than horrible, but I have to believe that VY would excel to greatness under Kubiak. That is the difference. We messed up the #1 pick before, let's not do that this time.

And all of this Kubiak prefers Carr talk is non-sense at this point anyway. This is being pulled from a report that is 3 weeks old? LOL! Give me a break! Maybe once Kubes gives his press conference, spends time w/ Carr, spends time w/ VY during workouts, analyzes more of the draft, evaluates the rest of the team, etc......and he makes an official statement (not through "un-named" sources) regarding his preference of which way to go in the draft or who he prefers, THEN it will be newsworthy. Until then....not so much:brickwall

AustinJB, you can speak for me anytime brother.....

but don't be so nice next time.

There are so many possible scenarios to look at...

Bush could be drafted by the Texans and be great.
Bush could be drafted by the Texans and be average.
Bush could be drafted by the Texans and be a bust.

Young could be drafted by the Texans and be great.
Young could be drafted by the Texans and be average.
Young could be drafted by the Texans and be a bust.

The Texans could trade down and draft the next Mike Singletary in AJ Hawk.
The Texans could trade down and draft the next Orlando Pace in D'Brick.
The Texans could trade down and draft the next Andy Katzenmoyer in AJ Hawk.
The Texans could trade down and draft the next Mike Williams in D'Brick.

Now, of those scenarios you have to also include what happens to those other players. I'll root for the Texans no matter what happens. I really hope that fans will continue to root for the team even if they draft Bush and Young goes on to great things. I guarantee that if the Texans are winning true fans won't care if Young is in Tennessee and lighting it up. Personally, I think he's 2 years away from being a quality starting QB in the NFL. Heck, Vick's been in the NFL 5 years and I don't think he's a great QB yet. If the Texans draft Young, though. I'll support the decision even if Bush goes on to win a Super Bowl and run for 2000 yards in New York.

Right now, it's all hypothetical, speculative, what if mumbo jumbo. Everyone here has an opinion and they are all valid. There are no locks and no guarantees in the NFL. I think I recall that something like 18 of the 30 GMs in the 1998 draft would have taken Leaf. Now, I would imagine that all 30 would say they would have taken Manning if they were asked today. I hope Hawk, D'Brick, Young, and Bush all become great. Well, unless the Cowboys end up with one. I really don't like them.

Hookem Horns said:
What has Carr done in 4 years to make you come to this conclusion? I'll be the first to admit that I hope you are right but I have seen nothing out of Carr to make me think he is better than Plummer or any other winning QB out there.

It's hard to really know what a qb could do when he's either running for his life or on his back viewing the beautiful sky through the retractable roof at reliant stadium. Until he's given a decent line, a decent offensive scheme, and a real coaching - we will never know what Carr is capable of. I know there were some doubts about Big Ben - look where he's going.

Oh, and put VY in the game against the Steeler defense from the Colt game or yesterday's game and he's toast. :twocents:

My personal preference is for the Texans to take VY. I do not think that will happen. In fact, I will probably faint away dead if it happens.

Why? This is how I see Bob McNair's world view (some of it I agree with and some of it I am not as generous about)....

Bob McNair is a very loyal guy. He is a big believer in building a team "the right way" and having patience in doing the building. This is the reason why he didn't can Capers earlier than he did. He has never waivered in his support for David Carr, and in all the times this season where the coaches coulda panicked or the owner coulda panicked and decided to bench DC, they didn't. Because they were going to do things "the right way." Through the season, McNair has always said supportive things about Carr (tho I betcha he might said a gosh durn under his breath when Carr did the ridiculous fumble at the beginning of the Pittsburgh game--my form of profanity was a bit stronger).

McNair knows that it has been unfair to Carr's development to ask him to start right away as a rookie, for a team with an abysmal offensive line and few offensive tools. He knows that it was a mistake to not get a better QB coach for him, thinking that Palmer could do everything. He knows that it is unfair to judge Carr based on last season because of the injuries to AJ and DD and Weigart, the rotating offensive line, canning the OC early in the season and the training wheels offense that they ran for the rest of the season.

I am guessing that the "fair" thing to do would be to get the face of the franchise more tools to play with--Bush being someone that could help and some Olinemen. In his press conference, he talked all offense, even though actually statistically speaking our defense was worse. Even if he thought that VY might be a better QB, his sense of fairness, and still being able to have 2 number one picks on the field and having Carr finally succeed as a Texan, is something that appeals to McNair.

CC has been completely talking about reupping Carr's bonus, and doing that straight up whether for two or three years is not probably meaning we are getting a new QB. They are just not admitting that because they want the flexibility to deal the first pick to someone that would want VY--otherwise, people will all go to New Orleans to make deals.

I could see Kubiak preferring Carr because developing a new QB is a time consuming process, especially one that might significantly affect the sorts of things you run.

So, they can talk all they want about how the evaluation process is completely open, and that they haven't decided, blahdittyblah, but just given all the public things Bob McNair has said and what he has done as an owner, it would just blow my doors off for him to pick VY and give up on Carr. I just don't see one tea leaf that says we are gonna pick VY. If McNair is unhappy with Carr, he sure is a good poker player because I've never seen him say one waivering thing about him.

My speculating and speaking outta my behind is now over. All that being said, I hope I am wrong wrong wrong.

:texflag:

thunderkyss said:
No one, that I know of yet has asked Kubiak about Vince yet.

Give it, oh, I don't know, until the end of the day.

Boxscore said:

A trade to acquire two firsts is possible, but I don't know if we'd get them that low, and the likelihood is, we would have to trade for this year's first and next year's first. D'Brick and Hawk will not make it to the second round, so we would have to be creative and lucky.

Napa Auto Parts said:
Coming from Kubiak it is actually surprising that he would be willing to take bush number one such a small back kind of like Tatum Bell Just way overhyped. if the case is taking a RB i would prefer to have De-angelo Williams At least someone who is going to be on the field for more than 15 plays.

but my opinion regarding this draft is V.Y should be our pick if not trade down and grab some more picks i just dont see us having Bush for a long perion of time may be 2 years until some DT tackles him and breaks him and half.

I can agree with the logic that says Bush might be a limited-carries back, possibly also prone to injury because of his smallish stature, but what's the lifespan on "mobile" (since we can't call him a scrambling QB, as this detracts from his brilliant pass skill) QBs in the league these days? Better hope your boy Vince develops a better pocket game if he comes here (and yes, I know, Vince has a pocket game, the best pocket game ever, I mean no one can touch him, ever has or ever will. Get off it already.)

HOOK'EM said:
Kubiak + Bush = Playoffs 06'!:redtowel:
I wish I could agree, but we will still face the Colts (hope for a split) and the Jags (tough any time we play them), and the rest of our schedule is no cakewalk either. Here's hoping you are right!

Well, then I guess Kubiak is going to be as inept as Capers. I heard Carr's philosophy on the radio last month. He stated he'd rather "take a sack than throw an interception". Yeah, that saves his stats and he can blame the Line for the sack.

Texans will go nowhere with a self-serving qb. Vince is the pick. If they don't take it - I might give them back my seats for next year.

hof13026 said:
Well, then I guess Kubiak is going to be as inept as Capers. I heard Carr's philosophy on the radio last month. He stated he'd rather "take a sack than throw an interception". Yeah, that saves his stats and he can blame the Line for the sack.

Texans will go nowhere with a self-serving qb. Vince is the pick. If they don't take it - I might give them back my seats for next year.

Ummmmm...I'd take a sack over an interception any day. Would you rather take a loss of yards or a turnover for your team?

I think Kubiak will keep Carr because he likes his philosophy of playing. He would rather take a sack than throw an interception. This is talk of a young quarterback that is willing to do above and beyond to make the team win. I think David Carr is underated in the NFL only because he is always getting sacked and didnt always have the players needed to product some wins. Even though the Texans lost a lot of close games, hopefully they will relize that they need to trade the draft for a couple good players instead of one great player, or they need to draft a great defensive player that will step up and lead them to better production throughout the season.

hof13026 said:

Well, you should prepare to give up your seats. Based on your illogical reasoning you should give back your seats. Most qb's would prefer a sack over an int. I would prefer a sack over a int. This is the first time i ever have heard of someone prefering an int over a sack for the offense. Are you the one making all the noise when the offense has the ball? Are you the one starting the wave when the offense has the ball? Got to be.

hof13026 said:
He stated he'd rather "take a sack than throw an interception". Yeah, that saves his stats and he can blame the Line for the sack.

Do you even know what you typed???

chopich said:
I think Kubiak will keep Carr because he likes his philosophy of playing.

So Kubiak is content with just "playing well" instead of winning? If so, he has his man.

I said I like David Carr because he would take a sack instead of a interception. Ive been to one game only because I live in Wisconsin. I watched all the games, so dont say im not a fan man.

hof13026 said:

Wow, way to introduce yourself to the MB. Stellar football analysis there--a QB is selfish because he gets hit rather than force a turnover, i.e. the single greatest determinant of who wins an NFL game--brilliant.

hof13026 said:

How does taking a sack over throwing a pick make him selfish? An INT gives the other team the ball and a sack doesn't, I'm sure most QB's would make the same choice if presented the 2 options. Your team will suffer more if you turn the ball over (why am I having to explain this?).

gpshafer_1976 said:
And what if Kubiak grabbed LenDale White at No. 1?

Wouldn't THAT make a splash in the sportsworld?

That would be a retarded move. If LenDale White is the draft choice, then trade down to #6 or 7 where it makes more sense to take him.

Back