Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-22-2006   #1
Nighthawk
All Pro

Default Kubiak prefers Carr.

This from the ESPN announcement tonight.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2302213

"A Broncos source told ESPN's Chris Mortensen last week that the Texans told USC that Reggie Bush would be selected with the No. 1 pick, despite a rise in public sentiment after the Rose Bowl that Houston select Texas quarterback Vince Young.

That assurance was given because it was in line with Kubiak's philosophy.

A Broncos source told Mortensen that Kubiak believes current Houston quarterback David Carr can flourish with a new offense headlined by Bush and wide receiver Andre Johnson."

If you were hoping that this franchise might turn around, recognize its weaknesses, and act accordingly, this has to give you pause.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #2
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

So now all you Kubiak lovers, are all of a sudden Kubiak haters, because he chose Carr over VY?

That has got to be really shallow.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

looking at the ratings on another thread and looking at our average of running outside.. we just don't do it.. and the lack of speed (hello Hollings) that never developed on the team hurts us.

I would like to see some speed at RB .. I'd like to see a toss sweep once in a while with AJ blocking out front.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #4
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Personally, until Kubiak proves that he's not worth the HC job he's about to get, I have full faith in him. Im going to try to keep this from turning into another Bush-Vince-Trade Down debate as best I can, but if we want a player just to run toss sweeps with, why waste the 1st overall on someone? Why not draft a speed back in the middle of the draft? Personally, I see too many other needs and too great a cost to get rid of our 1st with a want-type player who would split time.
Old 01-22-2006   #5
bakerooskie
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to bakerooskie
Default This could be a good thing...

Kubiak has got my support... I think he can turn this offense around. I think David has got the skills to flourish, he just needs a new type of offense to work with, and a good O-Line to protect him...
Old 01-22-2006   #6
LoneStarState
Veteran

Kubiak is our new coach! I support him 100%!
Old 01-22-2006   #7
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
So now all you Kubiak lovers, are all of a sudden Kubiak haters, because he chose Carr over VY?

Are you asking us to assume that Kubiak has more football knowledge in general and more insight into the Texans specifically than the fan who sat in section blah-blah-blah all season?

Old 01-22-2006   #8
Boxscore
All Pro

Be nice to use our number one to assure that we get the offensive lineman from Va. and Ohio State's AJ Hawk. How could that be made possible?
Old 01-22-2006   #9
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

who is the Olineman from VA? Dbrick?

hmm.. its possible I would think.. it would involve trading down to #4.. then drafting dbrick and using the rest of our draft to trade back up to the #5-7 spot.

Not worth it IMO. Dbrick isnt head and shoulders better than the other OTs coming out that are graded as 1st round talent.. and may not fit our scheme anyway.

trade down to #4.. get Mario Williams.. get an extra 2nd and 3rd rounder out of the deal.. then use your 3 thirds to trade back into the 2nd and grab three of the 1st round quality players that slipped out of the 1st.

Thats what id like to see .. 4 1st round prospects sounds better than Bush or Young to me.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #10
texman8
Veteran

You'll probably get one of them; not both. Personally, if we trade down; I'll prefer Mario Williams.
texman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #11
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxscore
Be nice to use our number one to assure that we get the offensive lineman from Va. and Ohio State's AJ Hawk. How could that be made possible?
Getting D'Brick and A.J. Hawk for the number one pick would have me stoked. But the VY crowd wouldn't have anything to do with it.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #12
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88
Im going to try to keep this from turning into another Bush-Vince-Trade Down debate as best I can, but if we want a player just to run toss sweeps with, why waste the 1st overall on someone? Why not draft a speed back in the middle of the draft? Personally, I see too many other needs and too great a cost to get rid of our 1st with a want-type player who would split time.

Seriously... that's the best you can do to keep this from becoming a Bush-Vince-Trade Down debate?
LOL
michaelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Getting D'Brick and A.J. Hawk for the number one pick would have me stoked. But the VY crowd wouldn't have anything to do with it.
I think VY's chances of playing in Houston just croked. Not trying to debate whether he is the best choice or not, but it looks like it's all about Bush or Trade Down at this point. Of course, we should probably be way more concerned with who our coordinators will be.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

Kubiak has not chosen Carr over Vick.

They were referencing what Kubiak had to say in regards to Carr, not a Carr vs Vince question, not a will you draft bush question, and that statement was made before Vince declared for the Draft. No one, that I know of yet has asked Kubiak about Vince yet.

The Mortenson reference was to McNair saying that Reggie will be picked. Saying that it is inline with Kubiaks philosophy(of which, I have not heard).

Old 01-22-2006   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
I think VY's chances of playing in Houston just croked. Not trying to debate whether he is the best choice or not, but it looks like it's all about Bush or Trade Down at this point. Of course, we should probably be way more concerned with who our coordinators will be.

Sounds like McNair is still trying to cash in on the Bush Hype.... he wants people to believe we are taking regie to make the pick more valuable. he'll be given a Saints/Vikings like deal and won't be able to turn it down, and no one not even the Houstonian VY crowd will be able to blame him.
Old 01-22-2006   #16
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

Coming from Kubiak it is actually surprising that he would be willing to take bush number one such a small back kind of like Tatum Bell Just way overhyped. if the case is taking a RB i would prefer to have De-angelo Williams At least someone who is going to be on the field for more than 15 plays.

but my opinion regarding this draft is V.Y should be our pick if not trade down and grab some more picks i just dont see us having Bush for a long perion of time may be 2 years until some DT tackles him and breaks him and half.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #17
ensign_lee
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 468 ensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Sounds like McNair is still trying to cash in on the Bush Hype.... he wants people to believe we are taking regie to make the pick more valuable. he'll be given a Saints/Vikings like deal and won't be able to turn it down, and no one not even the Houstonian VY crowd will be able to blame him.
That would be NICE!
ensign_lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #18
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak is familiar with multiple backs who can run the ball and give defenses a tough time all game long due to fresh legs and change-of-pace.

Other than the scenario of trading down to be able to acquire a stud O lineman and to therefore ALSO be able to get back up in the draft line to snag another top-tier player....the Reggie Bush pick will be made.

Kubiak will try and salvage Carr's career. Carr is leaps and bounds more talented than Plummer, just gotta' get the guy some better coaching (and not just for Carr...for the WHOLE TEAM, too, which will happen...). I'd take Carr on his worst day over Plummer on his best day.

Amazing. We're not even one full day into the Kubiak era and he's already getting blasted by a fan for "wanting Carr."
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #19
bakerooskie
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to bakerooskie
Thumbs down That's a bunch of B.S.

Reggie Bush is extremely talented, he is undersized but makes up for that with tremendous speed and running power... He is a work horse, he can pound his way through the inside, or bounce to the outside, and make plays happen out of nothing... He can make a tackler miss, he can go out every game and put up HUGE numbers, and he will give you more than just 15 plays, he is in excellent shape... Now, crunch the numbers and tell me why he should not be chosen as the number one draft pick this year...
Old 01-22-2006   #20
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

And what if Kubiak grabbed LenDale White at No. 1?

Wouldn't THAT make a splash in the sportsworld?
GP is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read