Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2006   #1
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Say no to our Jake Plummer clone in Houston

If we are LUCKY the best we can hope for in David Carr is that he turn into what Jake Plummer is. Meaning a guy who won't lose you games and just manages the game but who is not a star. Well that type of QB is not the type of guy that will lead you to the Super Bowl. Jake Plummer still makes stupid rookie mistakes the same as David Carr. He has a 3/4 throwing motion like our guy. You guys would rather have that type of QB than VY. It shows you that our fans are content with losing and losers. David Carr is a loser. Get rid of him.
Old 01-22-2006   #2
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight
If we are LUCKY the best we can hope for in David Carr is that he turn into what Jake Plummer is. Meaning a guy who won't lose you games and just manages the game but who is not a star. Well that type of QB is not the type of guy that will lead you to the Super Bowl. Jake Plummer still makes stupid rookie mistakes the same as David Carr. He has a 3/4 throwing motion like our guy. You guys would rather have that type of QB than VY. It shows you that our fans are content with losing and losers. David Carr is a loser. Get rid of him.
I'm not going to bash Carr today but I have never been a Plummer fan and what I am seeing now does not impress me. He has gotten really lucky on some bad throws that his receivers bailed him out on. The reason they are in the hole to have to comeback is some of his mistakes. You will lose some big games with a guy like that.
Old 01-22-2006   #3
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 6809 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Who do you suggest be our QB next season, then? Oh, wait ....
Old 01-22-2006   #4
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight
The only thing around here that can be associated with a "loser" is posts like this. First of all Carr and Plummer, two completely different men, two completely different QBs, playing in two completely different systems. I love it how people try to say "Player A" can't do this, because "Player B" failed at it. That argument is the most weak and tiresome in all of sports.

I also find it funny how you say you wouldn't want a qb that won't lose you games and just manages the game but is not a star.

QBs that fit that mold:
Ben Rothlisburger (how ever you spell his name)
Jake Delhome
Tom Brady

- Edmund Burke
Old 01-22-2006   #5
Texans86
All Pro

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to take a shot a Carr based on Plummer's performance today. I'm actually surprised it took to get to the 4th quarter.
Old 01-22-2006   #6
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb
The only thing around here that can be associated with a "loser" is posts like this. First of all Carr and Plummer, two completely different men, two completely different QBs, playing in two completely different systems. I love it how people try to say "Player A" can't do this, because "Player B" failed at it. That argument is the most weak and tiresome in all of sports.

I also find it funny how you say you wouldn't want a qb that won't lose you games and just manages the game but is not a star.

QBs that fit that mold:
Jake Delhome
Tom Brady
I agree with the top part of your post, comparisons in systems is not fair. But I will disagree on guys who only manage games being the guys you listed. Brady was throwing for 300 yard games this year and was their whole offense for many games this year with a hurt backfield. Delhomme, same thing with Steve Smith. Reothlisberger did alot of dunk passing last year but is much more capable as this game is showing.
Old 01-22-2006   #7
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 103984 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

a jake plummer is playing in the AFC championship game... I am sure if we were playing in the AFC championship game with Carr...
we wouldn't be talking about not taking a David Carr clone

Last edited by Wolf; 01-22-2006 at 05:01 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 01-22-2006   #8
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

boy.. we have a penchant towards judging everything on game's performance in this fanbase.
Old 01-22-2006   #9
whiskeyrbl

Agreed wolf,i was just fixin to say that but since you did i'll say this.Its time to get off your knees and zip up VY's pants

Old 01-22-2006   #10
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog
I agree with the top part of your post, comparisons in systems is not fair. But I will disagree on guys who only manage games being the guys you listed. Brady was throwing for 300 yard games this year and was their whole offense for many games this year with a hurt backfield. Delhomme, same thing with Steve Smith. Reothlisberger did alot of dunk passing last year but is much more capable as this game is showing.
Tom Brady had to step up his game this year due to all the injuries, but during the superbowl runs he managed games.

Before the playoffs Ben was just asked to manage games. (he only threw like 18 passes a game) Even in the playoffs as soon as the steelers jump out to a lead he just manages the game.

Delhome had a great game against the Bears and as soon as Foster went down he had to take a bigger role, but again he is a game manager

- Edmund Burke
Old 01-22-2006   #11
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

How many INT's does Plummer average a season over his career? How many does Carr? That differential right there is enough to show that Carr will not be Plummer clone, he will be much better.
Old 01-22-2006   #12
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

Im sorry but i think this thread is waste We have seen david For 4 years David will never be half the QB Jake Plummer is and that is not saying much

Oh and jake had alot of int's in arizona because he wasnt affraid trying to win unlike other QB's that i will not mentioned that would take a sack instead of trying to win the game. for the sake of how good the stat will look
Old 01-22-2006   #13
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I knew this thread was coming.
Old 01-22-2006   #14
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 124145 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run
How many INT's does Plummer average a season over his career? How many does Carr? That differential right there is enough to show that Carr will not be Plummer clone, he will be much better.
If your going to use that comparision, how many passes do each of them average? I'm willing to bet that the guy that throws less passes also throws less INTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
Old 01-22-2006   #15
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Tom Brady had to step up his game this year due to all the injuries, but during the superbowl runs he managed games.

Before the playoffs Ben was just asked to manage games. (he only threw like 18 passes a game) Even in the playoffs as soon as the steelers jump out to a lead he just manages the game.

Delhome had a great game against the Bears and as soon as Foster went down he had to take a bigger role, but again he is a game manager
I just think those three are much more big time game players compared to many we see. Brady with his MVP type years seemed to do more than manage games. The coaches trust him. Same with Delhomme, when they made the SB he was throwing it deep. Roethlisberger I can see that, as I said but he has stepped out of that shadow. I look at the "manage the game" type guy though as someone the coach doesn't trust. I think the coaches have full faith in all of those guys taking over.

As for the original post. Unfair comparison in my book so I can see where people are frustrated. But considering that most of the board was talking last week that Kubiak would make Carr like Plummer, you knew it was coming..lol

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 01-22-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-22-2006   #16
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napa Auto Parts
Im sorry but i think this thread is waste We have seen david For 4 years David will never be half the QB Jake Plummer is and that is not saying much

Oh and jake had alot of int's in arizona because he wasnt affraid trying to win unlike other QB's that i will not mentioned that would take a sack instead of trying to win the game. for the sake of how good the stat will look
Yeah he was really trying to win today, huh, because throwing the ball to the other team is SO much better than just taking a sack and living to fight another day........please.

Could you imagine Plummer playing behind our line, especially if he just throws it up for grabs everytime he feels pressure.

- Edmund Burke
Old 01-22-2006   #17
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57261 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

QBs that fit that mold:
Jake Delhome
Tom Brady
Terrible comparisons, especially Brady and Rothlesburger. Get real.
Old 01-22-2006   #18
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Yeah he was really trying to win today, huh, because throwing the ball to the other team is SO much better than just taking a sack and living to fight another day........please.

Could you imagine Plummer playing behind our line, especially if he just throws it up for grabs everytime he feels pressure.

there is no other day in the playoffs and i was reffering to his arizona days oh better than taking a sack or a Fumble
Old 01-22-2006   #19
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog
I just think those three are much more big time game players compared to many we see. Brady with his MVP type years seemed to do more than manage even. The coaches trust him. Same with Delhomme, even when they made the SB. Roethlisberger I can see that, as I said. I look at the "maange the game" type guy though as someone the coach doesn't trust. I think the coaches have full faith in all of those guys taking over.

As for the original post. Unfair comparison in my book so I can see where people are frustrated. But considering that most of the board was talking last week that Kubiak would make Carr like Plummer, you knew it was coming..lol
I don't think because a qb is asked to manage a game it means the coach doesn't trust them or they aren't capable of taking over a game. The three qbs I mentioned are very capable of taking over a game. I think its just the system they play in. If you noticed the three guys I mentioned they all have one thing is common, They are lead by Defensive coaches. Defensive coaches have a run first mentality, preach mistake free football, play a field position game, and believe there defense and running game will win the game. That is why they ask their qbs to manage the game.

- Edmund Burke
Old 01-22-2006   #20
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57261 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Texansfight gets a zero for style points, but a 9 on substance. It's not as if Plummer and Carr haven't been compared as being similar in many ways before today. I have mentioned many times that Carr reminds me of Plummer more than any other QB. Many of us mentioned here how the Kubiak hiring was good because maybe Carr could become what Plummer has become. I think, and hope that is possible, but we really don't know. I think the million dollar question the Texans have to answer is, can they win with a Plummer clone if they put the right pieces around him, or do they need a serious upgrade. If you look around the league historically, how many Jake Plummer types have put their team in the SB? Sure, if you are the 2000 Ravens and have a shutdown D, maybe so. But, they haven't been back. The examples on the other hand of having a dominant QB taking a team to multiple SB's are endless - Bradshaw, Montana, Brady, Staubach, Aikman, Young, Favre are some that come to mind.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read