Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-22-2006   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Wonderlick Testing

OK here we go next stop after the Senior Bowl is the combine and besides their 40 times, shuttles, interviewing and weightlifting there is a little thing called the Wonderlick test. The WPT measures a player's cognitive and reasoning ability, helping teams determine if a possible draft pick has the skills to follow directions and react to what's going on around him - all skills that are critical on the field. http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1312628/posts The first use of the WPT in the NFL was by Tom Landry of the Dallas Cowboys in the early 70s, who took a scientific approach to finding players. He believed that players who could use their minds where it counted had a strategic advantage over the other teams. The test has been used every year at the combine ever since. the focus of this article is the QB position. I cannot wait to see the scores of Vince Young vs. Matt Leinart just for refrenece David Carr scored a 24 while Drew Henson scored a 42 maybe a reason why the Texans where able to get a 3rd rd. draft pick for him from the Cowboys who value this measureable. Tom Brady 33 Eli Manning 39
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
...I cannot wait to see the scores of Vince Young vs. Matt Leinart ...
I'll bet both score higher than Dan Marino's 14. Which goes to show this test is worthless in judging a player's football ability. What is does show is how often the guys came to class and didn't fall asleep. Marino seems like a guy who would doze thru anything non-football related.
Old 01-22-2006   #3
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Its not a academic test, its a strange combination of questions that try to measure how a player thinks under stress. This is not an IQ test.
Old 01-22-2006   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
I'll bet both score higher than Dan Marino's 14. Which goes to show this test is worthless in judging a player's football ability. What is does show is how often the guys came to class and didn't fall asleep. Marino seems like a guy who would doze thru anything non-football related.
worthless hardley just how many Superbowls did Dan Marino win exactly? the fact he did not see the importance of studying did not exactly confirm his football ability to the Scouts (drafted 27th but was the 6th QB selected). Also as long as your including legends I never thought that Brett Farve was very smart (22) just competitive with great arm strength, always forcing the ball into tight coverage, taking multiple shots to the head and then not knowing when its time to retire. As oppossed to a Troy Aikmen (29) or Steve Young (33) who knew when it was time to hang em up
Old 01-22-2006   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Marino not winning a Super Bowl wasn't because he didn't fair well in his Wonder-lick (wonderlic) test. Lucky knows what this test is RDR....we have talked about it every year for half a decade or so around here in great detail....with Lucky sharing his views on this test in detail...and I somewhat agree with his thoughts but don't totally discount the test relevance.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #6
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Just for reference the average score on this test is 21. Over time the NFL players as a group have scored pretty close to this average at 19.

While not a pure "academic" test, those who are more scholastic in nature generally are more comfortable with taking tests and understand how to take test thus giving them some advantage.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #7
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe I can shed a little light on this issue. The Wonderlic is an intelligence test that was devised in order to assess aptitude for learning a job and adapting to solve problems for employees in a wide range of occupations. It is a test that some organizations give to prospective employees upon hiring. The problem is that while the test can be given by anyone not everyone can INTREPRET the results. Think about this, if I told you what I scored on a mock Wonderlic, what would you conclude from that? Would you be able to conclude anything of substance? I would say no becuase yall have not learned how to intrpret the scores properly. So, while yall can sit and compare scores, let me ask you, are you familair with the test's standard deviation? If not, how do you asses scores? How do yopu know one score in reference to another without the STD?

I am linking to a Wonderlic.

Each correct answer here is worth 1 point, there is no penalty for guessing or getting incorrect answers. Highest score possibly on this is 16, 50 on wonderlic, so create a ratio and figure out the what your score would be on the wonderlic. Then post it in response if you are so daring. Set your timer to 4 minutes.

Ready!

Are you sure?

Ok. scroll down and ENJLOY!

In a little bit, I will post my score from last year when I took it, both in raw score and converted Wonderlic score.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020228test.html

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-22-2006   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Marino not winning a Super Bowl wasn't because he didn't fair well in his Wonder-lick (wonderlic) test. Lucky knows what this test is RDR....we have talked about it every year for half a decade or so around here in great detail....with Lucky sharing his views on this test in detail...and I somewhat agree with his thoughts but don't totally discount the test relevance.

As much as I respect your opinions I'll have to go with Tom Landry on this one
Old 01-22-2006   #9
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

I scored in the high 40s, and I'm a terrible QB.

Old 01-22-2006   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
While not a pure "academic" test, those who are more scholastic in nature generally are more comfortable with taking tests and understand how to take test thus giving them some advantage.
this is certainly a valid point. measures preperation and proclivity to study & pay attention to detail thats about it. wheather that translates to the football field or the workforce in general is only a supposition
Old 01-22-2006   #11
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

now thats a challenge!! Although I wont be taking the test...I like the perspective given and agree...what is the standard and what EXACTLY are you testing for....if the highest scores were best then why dont we have more Legendary qb's from....say Harvard....where atleast two that I know of have scored perfect scores...what has come of their career and numbers....
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip
I scored in the high 40s, and I'm a terrible QB.

you gotta be good at something maybe bean counting

I only used four minutes & did not answear two questions and scored 12/15 or 36. makes me think alot of these guys don't even try. scores less than 15 would really concern me if they were not physically blessed or could jump over tall buildings with a single leap like Vince Young or Reggie Bush-
Old 01-22-2006   #13
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I got 13 out of 15, I would have gotten 14, but I messed up my algerbra in my head. I would have gout # 11 right if I would have written it down. oh well.
Old 01-22-2006   #14
A Texan
Veteran

I see Carr is 3rd. on the Texans behind Ragone and Banks. If you believe in all this maybe we should sign Jesse "The Bachelor" Palmer.
A Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #15
stevo3883
All Pro

P-buc aced it!

and by aced, I mean he got around a 7
Old 01-22-2006   #16
Khari
Administrator

Section: Varies
Rep Power: 19418 Khari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respected

I got 11......but down around number 12 my attention span ran out.
Old 01-22-2006   #17
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

yeah, i got 11, but i had music playing, i was watching the broncos/steelers and champ bailey getting burned, and was talking to my mom....
Old 01-22-2006   #18
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

When I took this test last year I scored a 14 That would translate to a 44 on the 50 point wonderlic.

-awtysst on 4/28/2011
Old 01-22-2006   #19
awtysst
Draft Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Texan
I see Carr is 3rd. on the Texans behind Ragone and Banks. If you believe in all this maybe we should sign Jesse "The Bachelor" Palmer.
Sign me! I got a 44 on it!

-awtysst on 4/28/2011
Old 01-23-2006   #20
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the wunderlic test is helpful in determing if a player can read and comprehend an NFL playbook. It is also helpful to teams in setting their draft board. You probably don't want to take someone in the 1st RD with a GTD multi-million dollar payday who scored a 7 on the wunderlic test ala Atlanta Falcons and Aundrey Bruce. While Marino was taken in the 1st RD (27th) he was the 6th QB taken and the 27th pick in 83 was not a hugh GTD contract and his score was just below average.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read