Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-20-2006   #1
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default John McClain

does anyone know what he said today on the radio?
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #2
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

I only caught the last half hour. They talked about how the Kubiak hiring thing was much like Romeo Crennel's last year - the team never interviewed anyone a second time and hired him as soon as the Super Bowl ended. McClain mentioned that he's been saying how great it is for the hometown guy Kubiak to come home and coach for the hometeam, so it was kind of silly for him to say that the hometown thing shouldn't factor into the Vince Young situation.

They talked a lot about the playoffs. He thinks that Carolina and Pittsburgh aren't getting enough credit and that the Seahawks haven't really beat any great teams lately. Said Shaun Alexander would play this weekend.

They took a call from a girl who said that leadership wasn't an important quality in football. Being embarassed for my own gender was definintely the highlight of the show for me.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #3
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard the majority of it....I believe that it was just a rehashing of most of what we say on here and what you hear every day on there. He said that Gary Kubiak has had no chance to scout Vince or Reggie and all that will take place after his season is done and he's here fulltime. Makes sense.

Talked about nasty emails he gets on a regular basis.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #4
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 3484 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

talked about how all the scouts in the nfl cant compare vince young to other quaterbacks because he breaks the mold
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #5
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

probably talked about his latest acting gig that no one cares about and how he knows so and so who owns a restaurant and how he gets hooked up so he can continue to get fat
Old 01-20-2006   #6
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

I forgot, in response to a caller who wanted to point out that all Longhorns haven't lived up to potential in the NFL or have "personal issues" (like getting cut for being gay - that was the caller's favorite example) - John talked a little about current Longhorns in the NFL. He spoke about Casey Hampton, Derrick Johnson, Nathan Vasher, Quentin Jammer, Ricky Williams, Leonard Davis, and Mike Williams.

He said they were a mixed bag, like any other school.
Old 01-20-2006   #7
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip
I forgot, in response to a caller who wanted to point out that all Longhorns haven't lived up to potential in the NFL or have "personal issues" (like getting cut for being gay - that was the caller's favorite example) - John talked a little about current Longhorns in the NFL. He spoke about Casey Hampton, Derrick Johnson, Nathan Vasher, Quentin Jammer, Ricky Williams, Leonard Davis, and Mike Williams.

He said they were a mixed big, like any other school.
Yeah, Priest Holmes surely didn't live up to expectations. Earl Campbell didn't either come to think about it.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-20-2006   #8
BeerFan
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to BeerFan

well to be fair, Priest Holmes didnt have any expectations and wasnt even drafted, so that doesnt count.
Old 01-20-2006   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

"probably talked about his latest acting gig that no one cares about and how he knows so and so who owns a restaurant and how he gets hooked up so he can continue to get fat" -- bradk10

-----------------------------------------

THAT is so freeking hilarious.

Thank you for making my day.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006   #10
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerFan
well to be fair, Priest Holmes didnt have any expectations and wasnt even drafted, so that doesnt count.
Actually, that was my point.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006   #11
cadahnic
All Pro

Doesnt every college have their bust and big names that do well. Texas is no different, I think people start to equate colleges with certain types of players i.e. Miami has athletes, Minnesota and Iowa has O-Linemen, BC has high IQ linemen, UT has workhorse type players. I mean off the top of my head these schools come to mind and their players usually end up like this in the NFL. I guess I forgot finesse players form USC, even though they are getting more to the pure athletes also that the U was known for. I will be glad when TAMU gets back to being known for hard hitting defense guys.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006   #12
Spoda
Veteran

did he get around to talking about Baylor?? or talk about an old radio guy that was his influence and paved the way for him to wobble back and forth on every issue so he can say he had it right?
Old 01-21-2006   #13
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Not to peeve people but I heard part yesterday afternoon and he was laughing about all of the angry e-mails he is getting calling him names for talking about VY all the time but he isn't doing it to piss people off he is just asking scouting and personnel people from other teams about him. He said he should have something in a blog today that talks about what people are telling him and how they think VY is great!He dared anyone to find one NFL personnel guy or scout who didn't think VY was awesome.

ANYWAYS, for whatever that is worth.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329528 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog
Not to peeve people but I heard part yesterday afternoon and he was laughing about all of the angry e-mails he is getting calling him names for talking about VY all the time but he isn't doing it to piss people off he is just asking scouting and personnel people from other teams about him. He said he should have something in a blog today that talks about what people are telling him and how they think VY is great!He dared anyone to find one NFL personnel guy or scout who didn't think VY was awesome.

Folks talk about bias in the media with respect to politics all the time, but we are seeing how it is human nature for reporters of all types in action with McClain. I am not against VY at all and will be perfectly happy if they pick him or Bush (I have concerns about both but the draft is always a risk) but IMO it is pretty obvious McClain is honestly reporting sifted information meant to favor VY. For example he started the little Denver doesn't use high draft picks on RB's deal. Well guess what, they haven't used a 1st rounder on a QB either in over 2 decades. Hardly a conclusive argument for Kubiak inclinations. McClain is another source for information to heap on the pile, not the insider's guide to everything out there.
Old 01-21-2006   #15
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Folks talk about bias in the media with respect to politics all the time, but we are seeing how it is human nature for reporters of all types in action with McClain. I am not against VY at all and will be perfectly happy if they pick him or Bush (I have concerns about both but the draft is always a risk) but IMO it is pretty obvious McClain is honestly reporting sifted information meant to favor VY. For example he started the little Denver doesn't use high draft picks on RB's deal. Well guess what, they haven't used a 1st rounder on a QB either in over 2 decades. Hardly a conclusive argument for Kubiak inclinations. McClain is another source for information to heap on the pile, not the insider's guide to everything out there.
Agree and he even admitted that he is ASKING these people about VY. He said he thinks Bush is great too but the questions HE is asking relate to VY. He is being his personal scout. But like you said, they are both good players and either brings special talent.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006   #16
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Hi John

This is some funny readin' isn't it?
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006   #17
Mario Williams
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog

LOL!!! That was me!!! Anyone want to read the e-mails i sent him?
Old 01-21-2006   #18
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush
LOL!!! That was me!!!
You and about 1000 others I'm sure.

fwiw, I was sitting here listening to ESPN radio - college gameday - and Kiper is on as usual. Save the Kiper comments please, we all know he's a douche bag.

Anyway, Mel says (today) that he's never seen a draft where picks 1-3 were set in January. My point is not to take Kiper at his word, but understand what people are hearing across the nation on ESPN radio. They are still saying Bush 1, Leinart 2, and Vince 3. Mel said, "not etched in stone, but definitely write it down in pen and not pencil." Again, take it fwiw, but the point is to understand what people are hearing outside the 290 corridor.

He has Brick 4 to the Jets, then Mario, then Hawk.

Last edited by aj.; 01-21-2006 at 10:38 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006   #19
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Hi John

This is some funny readin' isn't it?
ha ha, must have been him who gave me neg rep for my post

truth hurts huh johnny? you pompous blowhard

and my dislike for john has little to do with the current situation, as i can't listen to him being in AZ, but i always got sick of hearing about his little bit part in The Alamo and how he didnt get his SAG card for it
Old 01-21-2006   #20
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Anyway, Mel says (today) that he's never seen a draft where picks 1-3 were set in January. My point is not to take Kiper at his word, but understand what people are hearing across the nation on ESPN radio. They are still saying Bush 1, Leinart 2, and Vince 3. Mel said, "not etched in stone, but definitely write it down in pen and not pencil."
Every mock I saw had the Lions taking DJ. We know how reliable that was. The Court of Popular Opinion doesn't draft.

As for John McClain, even if you don't like him, that is no reason to be rude to him. You can send him some constructive criticism without attacking him. He is just doing his job the only way he knows how (just realized that sounded like a quote from the theme song of the Dukes of Hazard).

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read