Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-20-2006   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Casserly on 610 this morning

Said that 90 of the 95 in last years East-West Shrine game made
it on someones roster in the NFL in 2005. Pretty impressive. Very few, if any first day picks. I would guess the Senior Bowm has far more first day picks ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #2
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Senior Bowl is the cream of the crop.
Old 01-20-2006   #3
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Let me tell you the senior bowl roster is stuffed full of high end talent. The east-west shrine game is solid talent that is not considered high end. It will be interesting though. I cant wait for Mork's reports from the Senior Bowl (if he can sneak away and go), but I am also looking forward to the small school all star game.
Old 01-20-2006   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

East-West game has 3rd to 6th round round talents. Of course, some will slip to the 7th and undrafted, but it is well worth watching if you are a draftnik type.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #5
Spoda
Veteran

so did anyone actually hear anything interesting out of casserly? i was in a meeting and missed it...or was it the usuall.."hey!!...i can't comment on that!! hey!!"
Old 01-20-2006   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

He said he hopes San Antonio will support the E/W game so it will stay here. He said CC Brown and Hodgdon came out of this game...he was gushing about Bush's extra gear....he said good things about Young. He said we need to resove the O-line jigsaw puzzle, the transition to a 4-3, and that it would take more than one year to do this fully.

Old 01-20-2006   #7
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3261 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

The most important thing that Casserly said this morning is that his show with Bob Allen two weeks ago was taped. Thus, him saying that there was no need for another quarterback in the draft because Vince Young hadn't come out yet.

Now that Vince had declared, they are re-evaluating. He also stated that Carr and the Texans have come to an agreement, but he can't make public just yet if its a 2 or 3 year deal.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-20-2006   #8
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
He said he hopes San Antonio will support the E/W game so it will stay here. He said CC Brown and Hodgdon came out of this game...he was gushing about Bush's extra gear....he said good things about Young. He said we need to resove the O-line jigsaw puzzle, the transition to a 4-3, and that it would take more than one year to do this fully.
So it sounds like the move to a 4-3 is a done deal, or was he just "what-iffing"?
Old 01-20-2006   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
So it sounds like the move to a 4-3 is a done deal, or was he just "what-iffing"?
He never mentioned (or I didn't catch it) that it was any sort of done deal but he sure made it a point to talk about it, so I think it's gonna happen. He mentioned that Wong could play the Sam or the Mike but his injury was really bad so he may still be in the last stages of rehab when camp breaks. From my contacts and the cryptic information I get I think Jerry Gray will be the DC and we will install the 4-3 defense. From what I gather Gray was very impressive and the Texans gave him serious consideration for the HC job - Gray as the DC is speculation on my part but it's pieced together with tidbits from various people I've spoken with.

Old 01-20-2006   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
He also stated that Carr and the Texans have come to an agreement, but he can't make public just yet if its a 2 or 3 year deal.
This may be a difference with no distinction but the way I heard it was the Texans had made a decision about Carr but it was not going to be made public yet. I thought the way he worded it left open them deciding not to keep Carr, but my impression is still that they are going to keep him.

On the 4-3 I didn't hear a direct statement that it would be the new defense, but he made a reference to working with the scouts to look for players who fit a 4-3 rather than a 3-4 which implied the decision had been made.
Old 01-20-2006   #11
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
He never mentioned (or I didn't catch it) that it was any sort of done deal but he sure made it a point to talk about it, so I think it's gonna happen. He mentioned that Wong could play the Sam or the Mike but his injury was really bad so he may still be in the last stages of rehab when camp breaks. From my contacts and the cryptic information I get I think Jerry Gray will be the DC and we will install the 4-3 defense. From what I gather Gray was very impressive and the Texans gave him serious consideration for the HC job - Gray as the DC is speculation on my part but it's pieced together with tidbits from various people I've spoken with.
I had speculated on that as well, I haven't heard anything direct about it, but Gray did seem to impress the Texans in his interview and was a hot head coaching prospect that kind of fizzled out of the news while other guys were scooping up all the positions, so I was wondering if he did reach some kind of agreement with the Texans but they are waiting for Kubiak to comment on it and that's why Gray hasn't been mentioned in the head coaching circle as much.

As for the bowl games, the East/West certainly does have a lot of talent in the 3rd-7th round range (it is often said that good teams are built in the mid rounds anyways) so that should warrant some attention from al the teams and their scouts and from any fans wanting better info on the draft. The Senior Bowl should have a lot more of the high-end talent though, as basically every one of the top seniors in the country will be there, and it looks like I will be able to head down for a couple days and see what's happening with all of them.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #12
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, I am hoping for Gray as our DC.

I was wanting Saunders for OC...but that might not have even been a consideration anyway. We need an OC who utilizes the TE position more effectively than we do. I swear we're the only team in the NFL that throws only one pass to the TE each game...if he even gets ONE thrown to him at all.

I am glad we're going to the 4-3. Always disliked "our" 3-4 as I felt we have the talent for a 4-3 but with 3-4 tendencies.

Kiper is projecting 'Brick at No. 4 to the Jets, and I would love to trade down to No. 4 with Jets so they can get Bush and we can get 'Brick.

Looks like we're getting Bush, however. And that's cool. Wouldn't be as if we "reached" like Casserly normally does in the mid-rounds.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #13
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
I am glad we're going to the 4-3. Always disliked "our" 3-4 as I felt we have the talent for a 4-3 but with 3-4 tendencies.
Yes, our 3-4 was - um - unusual. Unusually bad. However, everytime I watch Pittsburgh play I want their 3-4. It is fun to watch as it destroys offenses.
Old 01-20-2006   #14
Headlights of a Carr

That would be awesome to have Jerry Gray as the defensive coordinator. Will he leave Buffalo? Going to a 4-3 has been a dream of mine since 2002. Never liked the 3-4.

Old 01-20-2006   #15
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
Yeah, I am hoping for Gray as our DC.

I was wanting Saunders for OC...but that might not have even been a consideration anyway. We need an OC who utilizes the TE position more effectively than we do. I swear we're the only team in the NFL that throws only one pass to the TE each game...if he even gets ONE thrown to him at all.

Kiper is projecting 'Brick at No. 4 to the Jets, and I would love to trade down to No. 4 with Jets so they can get Bush and we can get 'Brick.

Looks like we're getting Bush, however. And that's cool. Wouldn't be as if we "reached" like Casserly normally does in the mid-rounds.
Gray would be nice as a DC, although I don't think we'll be able to switch to the 4-3 very effectively this year, it seems as though they are going to target offense in the draft (I have been wanting them to do this the last couple months anyway) since they have a new offensive head coach coming in and are resigning Carr so they can finally fix the offense up and see what it is capable of doing. If we do end up concentrating the draft on offense I'm not sure how much defensive help we can get in there to transition to a 4-3, although if we can get a couple big pickups in free agency (i.e. John Abraham if the Jets can't resign him) then that would be fine with me. I'm still not a fan of D'Brick and I don't think he is the best fit as an OT for our team. I would prefer to see us trade down and either grab an OL somewhere in the 5-10 range or else go for defense with our 1st round pick and concentrate on offense after that, but drafting Bush would be fine with me too.

I can see good points to both a 3-4 and a 4-3 defense and if run properly I'd probably actually prefer a 3-4. Washington is spending some serious $$ though and locking down a nice coaching staff, Gibbs at HC, Saunders at OC, and Williams at DC, so they could be looking for a nice season as long as that's not too many head coaching minds on one team.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #16
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
as long as that's not too many head coaching minds on one team.
That would be my concern.
Old 01-20-2006   #17
travfrancis
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 travfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballottravfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to travfrancis

i really could cry right now about switching from the 3-4 to the 4-3, this was my worst nightmare after the coaching staff was fired, its a shame we never got to see what a REAL 3-4 can do first hand. :brickwall
travfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #18
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by My name is Earl
That would be awesome to have Jerry Gray as the defensive coordinator. Will he leave Buffalo? Going to a 4-3 has been a dream of mine since 2002. Never liked the 3-4.

He said he will not be on the new staff in Buffalo so he is free.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #19
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4103 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
From my contacts and the cryptic information I get I think Jerry Gray will be the DC and we will install the 4-3 defense. From what I gather Gray was very impressive and the Texans gave him serious consideration for the HC job - Gray as the DC is speculation on my part but it's pieced together with tidbits from various people I've spoken with.
I sure do hope you are correct about this. I think he would be an awesome fit for us. It's hard for me to understand why he wasn't considered for the Buffalo HC job. Do you think Dennison (Broncos O-line coach) will come along with Kubes? If so, in what capacity? O-line coach or O-Coordinator? All I know is that with Kubiak as HC, and Gray as DC the future appears to be bright.
Old 01-20-2006   #20
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I don't mind the 3-4. I just didn't like the version we ran and didn't think our personnel worked well with it. To run a 3-4, you need to be aggressive. We were way too passive.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read