Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-20-2006   #1
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08
Default David Givens a FA this off-season, what are you thoughts?

Speak your mind, should the Texans go after him?
Old 01-20-2006   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Givens as a player. However, WR is not an immediate need in my opinion.
Old 01-20-2006   #3
Spoda
Veteran

while i would LOVE to have him...it may mean we never get to see if mathis can play
Old 01-20-2006   #4
SBTexans08
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoda
while i would LOVE to have him...it may mean we never get to see if mathis can play
That's one thing I don't like from what I see out of the Texans (ex-coaching staff really). They play their guys dependant on how much they were paying each guy at their respective position. It would be great and the most sound thing to do to let Mathis beat out Givens or any other WR for that spot. That makes the player hungrier, more competitive and eventually ends up being their work ethic....something that's evidently missing in this team IMO. In the end....the Texans put the best player out in the field.

For instance.....Bradford with all his drops.....they should have sat him out or let another player who looked to have more desire and will to help the team out play in his position. I look at the Armstrong/Gaffney deal as well. Gaffney would screw around a lot and we all know that Armstrong is a fantastic, sure-handed, money type route-runner from what we've seen and if Gaffney was slipping up.......Armstrong should have been put in there, no matter how much the Texans had paid for Gaffney!!

I see other teams put their best player on the field, after each player has earned their roster spot or rank in the depth chart.....not because one is paid more than the other. Hopefully under Kubiak....that's how things will be done.
Old 01-20-2006   #5
HardCoreTxn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to HardCoreTxn Send a message via MSN to HardCoreTxn Send a message via Yahoo to HardCoreTxn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
I like Givens as a player. However, WR is not an immediate need in my opinion.
I agree,...I wonder if he can play TE?
Old 01-20-2006   #6
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Givens is a solid physical #2 receiver that can somewhat stretch the field. We would be a better team if we could get him at a great price. Since that is not gonna happen and we can get Gaff at a good price then I take Gaff. WR is not a huge need, but then again you really can never have enough good ones. i think WR is something we can address late in the draft and be ok. Right now we need to be concentrating on restructuring Wade, McKinney, and Carr's contracts.
Old 01-20-2006   #7
Holden135
Veteran

I think if we were to get Givens we would have to over pay. Who in their right mind would go from a dynasty to one of the worst teams in the nfl?
Holden135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-20-2006   #8
SBTexans08
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden135
I think if we were to get Givens we would have to over pay. Who in their right mind would go from a dynasty to one of the worst teams in the nfl?
It would not be crazy as you make it seem. He would be going from one NFL team to another NFL team. There's been several times where one of the worst teams has gone from pretender to contender in the league and making it to the playoffs.

Last off-season....we saw Mushin Muhammad go from a contender of a team to a pretender Chicago team (what it was considered before the run they had this year). You logic debunked.

You had Santana Moss go from the Jets (playoff team at that time) go to the Redskins (considered a pretender at the time with QB controversies). Your logic debunked again.

Randy Moss did the same last off-season. Going from playoff contender last year to a weak Raiders team.

David Patten went from a dynasty of a team to the Redskins (4-12) team as well, got injured half way through the season. Your logic yet again debunked.
Old 01-20-2006   #9
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBTexans08
It would not be crazy as you make it seem. He would be going from one NFL team to another NFL team. There's been several times where one of the worst teams has gone from pretender to contender in the league and making it to the playoffs.

Last off-season....we saw Mushin Muhammad go from a contender of a team to a pretender Chicago team (what it was considered before the run they had this year). You logic debunked.

You had Santana Moss go from the Jets (playoff team at that time) go to the Redskins (considered a pretender at the time with QB controversies). Your logic debunked again.

Randy Moss did the same last off-season. Going from playoff contender last year to a weak Raiders team.

David Patten went from a dynasty of a team to the Redskins (4-12) team as well, got injured half way through the season. Your logic yet again debunked.
Carolina was 7-9 last year. David Patten was an 8 year journeyman who was not going to be resigned. Debunk all you like, but bunk is as bunk does.
Old 01-20-2006   #10
SBTexans08
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Carolina was 7-9 last year. David Patten was an 8 year journeyman who was not going to be resigned. Debunk all you like, but bunk is as bunk does.
Where's Carolina now? I know they were 7-9 last year....but they were a deceiving 7-9 team. Remember....they lost Smith in the first game of the season. They lost offensive lineman during that off-season after the Super Bowl. But hey...I'll give ya that one....but still....there's many more that do debunk that logic. The Texans are an NFL team and pay millions. Him not wanting to come here because of their record is bull. And if anyone has half a brain....they know the Texans aren't really a 2-14 team with the talent on this team.
Old 01-20-2006   #11
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Bottom line is we can't afford to let on single stone go unturned. We could use an upgrade/boost at every position on our team. Yes this means AJ and D-Rob, not to get rid of but compliment them or even drop them to a #2 status if there is a solid #1 at those positions that we're able to bring in.

To answer the thread though, if we don't draft a WR or promote a practice squad guy then I say get him unless there is a better option available. He may bring a winning attitude too.
Old 01-20-2006   #12
SBTexans08
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan
Bottom line is we can't afford to let on single stone go unturned. We could use an upgrade/boost at every position on our team. Yes this means AJ and D-Rob, not to get rid of but compliment them or even drop them to a #2 status if there is a solid #1 at those positions that we're able to bring in.

To answer the thread though, if we don't draft a WR or promote a practice squad guy then I say get him unless there is a better option available. He may bring a winning attitude too.
Completely agree.....make every guy fight for their position....put the best players out on the field. Most def!
Old 01-20-2006   #13
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Givens is a player that I would be interested in. Gaffney and Bradford are free agents so there is no guarantee of their return. Armstrong and Mathis have shown potential but not enough to assume that either is ready to step into a starting role next year. IMO, the Texans need to sign a veteran starting WR. he does not have be a number 1, but a guy solid guy, see Givens, is in order.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #14
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBTexans08

Weren't both Santana and Randy Moss traded to their new teams?
I don't think Patten had is much choice in the matter that Givens will...
Muhammed is getting up there in age and took the highest available, which was quite a bit higher than any other offer IIRC.
Givens will most likely get similar offers from many teams with good records which is a choice I thnk neither Patten or Mush really had...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #15
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden135

Maybe because he already has his rings, and now he'd like to play close to home (hopeflully for a discount). Givens is from Humble and went to Humble High School.
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #16
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

depends on the price he is asking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #17
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe we can get an old Troy Brown with him and he can play DB for us also Kidding.

The only drawback I see to him was is he a legit #2 or was it a system where they spread the ball so much that it only looked that way at times. Deion Branch would go off and was considered a #1 I guess but it seemed like they all got their share. Just with the system and Brady throwing, sometimes it can be deceiving. I like him alot though.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #18
titan hater
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog
Maybe we can get an old Troy Brown with him and he can play DB for us also Kidding.

The only drawback I see to him was is he a legit #2 or was it a system where they spread the ball so much that it only looked that way at times. Deion Branch would go off and was considered a #1 I guess but it seemed like they all got their share. Just with the system and Brady throwing, sometimes it can be deceiving. I like him alot though.
Givens is good, but I'd rather gp after Reggie Wayne...
titan hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #19
SBTexans08
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan hater
No doubt!
Old 01-20-2006   #20
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan hater
I would not. Wayne has earned himself a nice paycheck over the last couple of years. The Texans will add another large contract, most likely at a "skill" position. At some point, the Texans are going to have to become better at identifying 2nd and 3rd level FAs who can contribute. Their "sexy" name is likely to come from the draft, Wayne will just have to pass on.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read