Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-19-2006   #1
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 87056 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chris Palmer Cowboys OC?

Couple of interesting items from Ben Mallers Rumor Page

Posted January 19, by Ben Maller

The Cowboys now have to decide who will replace Sean Payton. Parcells called the plays in 2003 and 2004 and could do so again. However, someone must take over Payton's role in game planning and as the passing game coordinator. Options on the staff include receivers coach Todd Haley and offensive line coach Tony Sparano, who served as the running game coordinator. The Cowboys could also look at former Houston Texans offensive coordinator Chris Palmer.

Also: maybe this is who we need here.

Carl Mauck's second tenure as Chargers offensive line coach ended after just one season when he was fired yesterday. His departure was more a result of what he brought to the team than what he lacked as a coach. "He's a terrific guy," head coach Marty Schottenheimer said. "He worked as hard as anybody. But the approach, the philosophy, were different." While Schottenheimer said the differences were solely between him and Mauck, there was tension elsewhere as well. Some offensive linemen had expressed the belief that Mauck's aggressive style was not what the unit needed. Also, Mauck's loud and somewhat insolent way of communicating differed greatly from that of other offensive coaches.

Read It Here
Old 01-19-2006   #2
Texizgreat
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Texizgreat Send a message via Yahoo to Texizgreat

That would be sweet!!! We play the cowboys and would know how to stop the Run Run Pass Punt offence!!!!
Texizgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006   #3
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Palmer would be reunited with Bledsoe and would be a far more effective OC than he was under Capers. Parcells isn't Martz but he's a helluva lot less conservative than Dom.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006   #4
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Palmer has coached under Parcells before so he would know what he is getting into. Parcells is willing to throw the ball when he thinks its the most effective way to win. Think Bledsoe threw over 600 times one of his NE seasons under the Tuna.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006   #5
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texizgreat
That would be sweet!!! We play the cowboys and would know how to stop the Run Run Pass Punt offence!!!!
Old 01-20-2006   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Palmer would be reunited with Bledsoe and would be a far more effective OC than he was under Capers. Parcells isn't Martz but he's a helluva lot less conservative than Dom.
Once again, I'll say it: Palmer was a scape goat. The problem was Pendry (and Fangio).
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #7
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Palmer was a scapegoat and Fangio was the problem on defense. Pendry was a problem in '04 and '05 but Dom's overriding philosophy was the real problem on offense throughout.

Not that Palmer was totally blameless or a great OC or anything like that, but he had to work within that framework.

Last edited by aj.; 01-20-2006 at 07:04 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-20-2006   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Palmer was a scapegoat and Fangio was the problem on defense. Pendry was a problem in '04 and '05 but Dom's overriding philosophy was the real problem on offense throughout.
Yeah, I agree. I quoted you and forgot to say that I agree.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #9
Sportsfan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee
Options on the staff include receivers coach Todd Haley and offensive line coach Tony Sparano, who served as the running game coordinator.
off subject, but i thought that said 'Tony Soprano' at first. LOL
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #10
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

I don't think Palmer will be so bad with another team. I really think that Dom Caper's philosophy held back Palmer from running the offense the way he would have wanted. Capers being a defensive mind coach wanted to win games by not losing them. Palmer being only the OC was subject to that philosophy and thus his hands were tied, so to speak.
Old 01-20-2006   #11
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
Palmer has coached under Parcells before so he would know what he is getting into. Parcells is willing to throw the ball when he thinks its the most effective way to win. Think Bledsoe threw over 600 times one of his NE seasons under the Tuna.
Yup, Bledsoes highest mark for pass attempts was, I believe, under Parcells. Bledsoe also had some big games just this past season so I don't think this would be a horrible move.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #12
Doug
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan
off subject, but i thought that said 'Tony Soprano' at first. LOL
At least we would know things are getting taken care of! LOL
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #13
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I think Palmer does well with an established offense. Brunell was the most successful with him as the OC. I think he struggles to develop talent from scratch though.
Old 01-20-2006   #14
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

The one I am really curious about is Pendry. I'd like to know what poor team got him.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #15
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
The one I am really curious about is Pendry. I'd like to know what poor team got him.
Probably no one. Wasn't he out of football when we hired him?
Old 01-20-2006   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Good.

Just as we got snookered and received Phyllis Buchanon....I hope the Cowboys get conned into thinking Palmer was "just in a bad position in Houston, he'll do fine with us...."

I honestly have zero understanding as to how and why this guy was ever a hot commodity in the NFL. Puzzling.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
Good.

Just as we got snookered and received Phyllis Buchanon....I hope the Cowboys get conned into thinking Palmer was "just in a bad position in Houston, he'll do fine with us...."

I honestly have zero understanding as to how and why this guy was ever a hot commodity in the NFL. Puzzling.
Hasn't looked good so far, but to hold out a ray of hope look at the example of Deltha O'Neal. He was a 1st round (15th pick) on his athletic ability but after flashing some ability in Denver had worn out his welcome and was getting limited play time and I believe Denver even wanted to convert him to WR. He went to the Bengals and has become a star in their system with 14 picks in two years. Maybe a coach who better utilizes his skills will be able to get Buchanon to have a similar transformation to let his 1st round (17th pick) ability come to fruition. At this point we have to hope so.

From the time of the Denver/Cinncy trade:

Quote:
O'Neal, benched last year after being beaten five times for touchdowns early in the season, also will get the opportunity to return punts and kickoffs.

O'Neal conceded that Denver coach Mike Shanahan had given up on him.

"I probably was having a terrible season," he replied when he was asked about that. "It's just business. Mike Shanahan and I were always friends. I'm moving on."
Link

I'm not looking for a complete transformation of every player, but I will bet we are going to see some dramatic jumps in performance in players next year under a D not directed by Fangio.
Old 01-20-2006   #18
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

I say good riddance to Palmer, I never really liked him ever since the team started, and that would be nice to see him go to the Cowboys and either ruin their offense or else show that he is a decent coach and that for whatever reason it just didn't work out here, rather than supporting the idea that he was a bad hiring decision. Either way that would be a win-win in my mind, either he shows he was a decent decision on our part that just didn't work out, or he drags the Cowboys offense down the drain.

Another interesting thing I had heard, Vic Fangio is supposed to be interviewing for the Packers DC job. At least with the Packers he can run his soft cover 2 defense out of a 4-3 with a decent pass rush rather than trying to run it out of a 3-4 like he did here, although if I remember right he did have a short stint with Indy and Dungy said his defenses were too complicated and too soft. I see that dropping the Packers even farther down the ranks of defenses in the NFL, and there's not much room for them to fall as it is.

I agree with Infantry that hopefully PBuch will turn things around, he has the athletic ability to do great. On a side note, their rookie year, I loved getting PBuch and Deltha on Madden together since they were both really fast, had good hands, and they were young. That aside, both have been disappointing for the majority of their careers, but Deltha has finally turned things around in Cincy, so hopefully Buchanon can do that here too, Jerry Gray could be a good guy to do that for him if he does become our DC.

Last edited by MorKnolle; 01-20-2006 at 12:02 PM.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
I saw good riddance to Palmer, I never really liked him ever since the team started, and that would be nice to see him go to the Cowboys and either ruin their offense or else show that he is a decent coach and that for whatever reason it just didn't work out here, rather than supporting the idea that he was a bad hiring decision. Either way that would be a win-win in my mind, either he shows he was a decent decision on our part that just didn't work out, or he drags the Cowboys offense down the drain.
Actually Palmer has had very impressive offenses in his non expansion gigs. This was Capers offense...Palmer was just a scapegoat.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #20
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Hasn't looked good so far, but to hold out a ray of hope look at the example of Deltha O'Neal. He was a 1st round (15th pick) on his athletic ability but after flashing some ability in Denver had worn out his welcome and was getting limited play time and I believe Denver even wanted to convert him to WR. He went to the Bengals and has become a star in their system with 14 picks in two years. Maybe a coach who better utilizes his skills will be able to get Buchanon to have a similar transformation to let his 1st round (17th pick) ability come to fruition. At this point we have to hope so.

I'm not looking for a complete transformation of every player, but I will bet we are going to see some dramatic jumps in performance in players next year under a D not directed by Fangio.
Excellent point. I agree that having a new defensive coordinator who emphasizes his teams strengths will have a big impact on the overall level of play. Also if Kubiak is able to bring our offense to even the middle of the pack among NFL teams it could mean a more rested defense that doesn't have to hold opponents below 13 every game due to an inept offense.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read