Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-19-2006   #1
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Something to pass the time.

Saw this on another board, thought id post it here.

Here is the Great Blue North top 250

http://www.gbnreport.com/2006top100.html

Make your picks for the Texans based on that. You cannot pick a player rated higher than the pick you are using (so you can only draft players ranked #33 or lower with our second round pick)

We have picks #1, #33, #65, #66, #97, #129, #161, and #193

here is mine.

R1#1: Reggie Bush RB USC
R2#33: Daryn Colledge OT Boise State
R3#65: Claude Wroten DT LSU
R3#66: Mark Setterstrom OG Minnesota
R4#97: Gerrick McPherson CB Maryland
R5#129: David Thomas TE Texas
R6#161: Ray Edwards DE Purdue
R7#193: Dwyane Slay FS Texas Tech

Here is what id RATHER see.. with a trade down to Denver for their two firsts and their second. (with possibly a player or #1 next year thrown in.. please no comments on how it isnt enough for the #1 overall)

R1#22: Ko Simpson FS South Carolina
R1#29: Leonard Pope TE Georgia
R2#33: Daryn Colledge OT Boise State
R2#61: Davin Joseph OG Oklahoma
R3#65: Claude Wroten DT LSU
R3#66: Mark Setterstrom OG Minnesota
R4#97: Gerrick McPherson CB Maryland
R5#129: Rocky McIntosh LB Miami
R6#161: Ray Edwards DE Purdue
R7#193: Dwyane Slay FS Texas Tech
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006   #2
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Not bad, although without looking at the link you posted to see who's available, I don't really like taking Colledge at #33, and I definitely don't like taking a TE in the 1st round at all, I'm not sure why some people are so big on that. Sure we need a TE, but with so many other problems on our team we can't afford to use a 1st rounder on one. In my mind, drafting a TE in the 1st round should only happen if you're already a solid, pretty complete team with depth at the skill positions and you're lacking that one extra player (TE playmaker in this case) that will push you over the edge and into championship contention, and we definitely aren't there yet.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006   #3
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Trade down with Jets 1st, 2nd, 4th, and next years 1st, 3rd. Use a 3rd, 4th, and next years 3rd to get John Abraham.

4 Mario Williams- we are set in a 4-3 or 3-4. I have watched tape on the kid and he can play in a 3-4 he will look alot like Shawn Merrimen. Rush him every time and with Abraham we are looking nice regardless
33. Ryan O'Callahan- hell I guess Pitts is our LT for the next 5yrs, but I am ok with that. This guy is what we all thought Wade could be huge and really light on his feet and plays with a nasty nature
36. Daryn Colledge- Lock him down as the replacement for Weigert or could play LT.
66. Cedric Griffin- we need a CB/FS cover guy and he can do it, plus he is very physical
97. Nick Mangold- the guy can play C/G and he would set us for the line for a good minute. plus he plays with that nasty nature
129. Rocky McIntosh- he is going to be a late round steal similar to Andre Davis and we get him in the same round Davis went in. I would not mind David Thomas here either
161. Reggie McNeal/Greg Threat/Marice Stovall- could not decide so take your pick McNeal is a WR to me though
193. Frostee Rucker/Anthony Schlegel-it is a 7th rounder just pick one.

I did not see JJ from USCarolina on the list or maybe I missed him, but he plays alot like D-Rob and that is not a bad thing. He is also bigger which means we would have a nice 1234 of corners.

Last edited by Coach C.; 01-19-2006 at 04:55 PM.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006   #4
Spoda
Veteran

i too will trade..to make it simple we'll pretend raiders..we got their 2nd..again just simple..we'll get more
#6 Aj hawk (LB)
#33 Pope(TE)
#38 Colledge(OT)
#65 Trueblood(OT)
#66 Griffen(CB)
#97 Nick Mangold...can play guard or center
#129 Matua (OG) see a pattern yet?
#161 Stovall (WR)
#193 Slay (FS)

great idea grid..i was bored...the day passed by so quickly when all the T sips came in those few days screaming for vince

Last edited by Spoda; 01-19-2006 at 04:53 PM.
Spoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006   #5
Farough
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 880 Farough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Farough

R2#33: Max Jean-Gilles OG Georgia
R3#65: Anthony Fasano TE Notre Dame
R3#66: Cedric Griffin CB Texas
R4#97: Nick Mangold C Ohio State
R5#129: Fred Matua OG USC
R6#161: Maurice Stovall WR Notre Dame
R7#193: Dwayne Slay FS Texas Tech
Farough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006   #6
Sutton=08Heisman
Veteran

Default "Fantasy Draft"

Trade with Jets and get their 1st and 2nd round picks and possibly trade 2nd rounders for later/more picks(just picking players I would like to see, but I'm not sure how we would acquire the position to draft them)...
#4 D'Brick-don't really want an olinemen this high, but the problem has been ignored long enough
#44 Elvis Dumervil (just put number of his rank not our actual picking position)
#48 Abdul Hodge (just put number of his rank not our actual picking position)
#55 Darnell Bing (just put number of his rank not our actual picking position)
#59 Tatusi Lutui (just put number of his rank not our actual picking position)
#85 Cedric Griffen - to please the UT fans lol
#96 Jason Avant (just put number of his rank not our actual picking position)

Well I'm not sure if this scenario is possible, but it would be interesting

Regular picks
#1 Reggie Bush RB
#33 Max Jean-Giles OG
#65 DeMario Minter CB
#66 Jeremy Trueblood OT- don't really know who he is, but we need an olinemen
#97 Dominique Byrd TE
#129 Barry Cofiled DT- I just like Northwestern lol
#161 Maurice Stovall WR
#193 Frostee Rucker DE

Last edited by Sutton=08Heisman; 01-19-2006 at 07:45 PM.
Sutton=08Heisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006   #7
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

I will give you three scenarios: The Take Vince scenario, the Take Reggie scenario, the Trade Down scenario.

Take Vince Scenario

R1#1: Vince Young QB Texas
R2#33: Leonard Pope TE Georgia
R3#65: Jeremey Trueblood OT BC
R3#66: Matt Lentz OG Michigan
R4#97: Terna Nande LB Miami (Ohio)
R5#129: Nate Salley FS Ohio State
R6#161: Josh Lay CB
R7#193: Terrence Whitehead RB Oregon

Take Reggie Scenario
R3#66: Derrick Martin CB Wyoming
R4#97: Victor Adeyanju DE Indiana
R5#129: Gerris Wilkers LB Maryland
R6#161: Greg Threat SS Miami
R7#193: Cedric Humes RB Virginia Tech?(maybe go Whitehead, I dont like VA Tech).

Trade Down Scenario

Trade pick with Jets for their Number 1,2,3 this year plus 1 next year

R1#4: Mario Williams DE North Carolina State
R2#33: Max Jean-Gilles G Georgia
R2#36:Alan Zemaitis CB Penn State
R3#65: Jeremey Trueblood OT Boston College
R3#66: Maurice Drew RB UCLA
R3#68: Joel Klopfenstien TE Colorado
R4#97: Kai Parham LB Virginia
R7#193: Donnie McCleskey SS

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-19-2006   #8
travfrancis
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 travfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballottravfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to travfrancis

cool idea, heres mine:

R1#1: QB Vincent Young
R2#33: OLB Bobby Carpenter
R3#65: TE Anthony Fasano
R3#66: WR Chad Jackson
R4#97: C Greg Eslinger
R5#129: WR Demetrius Williams
R6#161: CB Darrell Hunter
R7#193: RB Cedric Humes

that was WAY too easy, lol.

only reason i even took the 2 wrs is because they were available way longer than they should have been, so i went best player available.
travfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006   #9
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Mario
33. Abdul Hodge
65 Mark Setterstrom
66 Anthony Fasano
97 Charles Spencer
129 Rocky McIntosh
161 Dwyane Slay
193 Drew Olson
Old 01-19-2006   #10
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
1. Mario
33. Abdul Hodge
65 Mark Setterstrom
66 Anthony Fasano
97 Charles Spencer
129 Rocky McIntosh
161 Dwyane Slay
193 Drew Olson

Are you saying that you would take Mario 1?

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #11
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst
I will give you three scenarios: The Take Vince scenario, the Take Reggie scenario, the Trade Down scenario.

Take Vince Scenario

R1#1: Vince Young QB Texas
R2#33: Leonard Pope TE Georgia
R3#66: Matt Lentz OG Michigan
R4#97: Terna Nande LB Miami (Ohio)
R5#129: Nate Salley FS Ohio State
R6#161: Josh Lay CB
R7#193: Terrence Whitehead RB Oregon

Take Reggie Scenario
R3#66: Derrick Martin CB Wyoming
R4#97: Victor Adeyanju DE Indiana
R5#129: Gerris Wilkers LB Maryland
R7#193: Cedric Humes RB Virginia Tech?(maybe go Whitehead, I dont like VA Tech).

Trade Down Scenario

Trade pick with Jets for their Number 1,2,3 this year plus 1 next year

R1#4: Mario Williams DE North Carolina State
R2#33: Max Jean-Gilles G Georgia
R2#36:Alan Zemaitis CB Penn State
R3#65: Jeremey Trueblood OT Boston College
R3#66: Maurice Drew RB UCLA
R3#68: Joel Klopfenstien TE Colorado
R4#97: Kai Parham LB Virginia
R7#193: Donnie McCleskey SS
Not bad ideas but I have a couple suggestions. For one I don't like us taking Vince and don't think it will happen, but if it does you have to go OLine in the 2nd, you can't pass up giving him some kind of protection for a TE, and Pope is one of the two or three TEs that I think will actually go in the 1st round. Letting OLine slip that far will result in Carr getting killed for another year while Vince sits or if they decide to play Vince he'll get killed just like Carr did and knock the confidence out of him too. Your Bush scenario is pretty good but there's no reason to add another RB in there even in the 7th round. If we get Bush we'll have him, Davis, Morency, and Wells, and any other rookie won't see the field at all. Jean-Gilles is probably also not a very good selection for us, we will be using zone blocking on running plays and you need smaller, more athletic OGs for that, and Gilles is definitely not the smaller, quicker type. Davin Joseph would be a much better option. In your trade down scenario, some people have Eric Winston falling to the 2nd round and if that somehow happens that would be a steal of a pick at #33, then we can get Davin Joseph at #36 for our interior line. However, as they said on NFL Network yesterday, once the combine rolls around and Winston puts up his 32+ bench press reps and runs his 40 in under 5.0 people will realize he's over his injury and see him as the beast that he is. I also don't agree with taking Drew in the 3rd round, I'm not sure why we'd do that with Davis, Morency, and Wells. In the trade scenario I could see picking up a really fast RB or a big power RB in like the 6th-7th round but we can still address needs and get possible starters in the 3rd round.
Old 01-20-2006   #12
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

The draft as far as the 2nd and 3rd and maybe even 4th goes will be more clearer after FA begins and we see who we aquire. I haven't studied who's gonna be available but I bet we snacth up a OG and a DE since the draft is deep at other positions we need. We may try to fill these 2 positions in FA.
Old 01-20-2006   #13
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan
The draft as far as the 2nd and 3rd and maybe even 4th goes will be more clearer after FA begins and we see who we aquire. I haven't studied who's gonna be available but I bet we snacth up a OG and a DE since the draft is deep at other positions we need. We may try to fill these 2 positions in FA.
I am hoping we get LeCharles Bentley, but I'd prefer to get one or more of the rookie OGs and play Bentley at C, and I really don't see us getting Hutchinson assuming he even leaves Seattle, and outside of that there really aren't any good OLinemen other than them
Old 01-20-2006   #14
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
there really aren't any good OLinemen other than them
Oh I'm sure we could find room them.
Old 01-20-2006   #15
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 89864 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking I Like This One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farough
R3#65: Anthony Fasano TE Notre Dame
R3#66: Cedric Griffin CB Texas
R4#97: Nick Mangold C Ohio State
R5#129: Fred Matua OG USC
R6#161: Maurice Stovall WR Notre Dame
R7#193: Dwayne Slay FS Texas Tech
Just looks good to an Irish fan.

Bush and the OGs look good to me.

Hope we find a good MLB in there somewhere.

Fasano in the third is a steal.

Stoval made some big catches for the Irish but a lot of them were jump balls where his height played a big part. Won't be as easy in the NFL.

After such a disappointing year I'm getting excited again.
New coaches and the draft, if that doesn't excite you then you don't have a pulse. (where have I heard that)

Old 01-20-2006   #16
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee
Just looks good to an Irish fan.

Bush and the OGs look good to me.

Hope we find a good MLB in there somewhere.

Fasano in the third is a steal.

Stoval made some big catches for the Irish but a lot of them were jump balls where his height played a big part. Won't be as easy in the NFL.

After such a disappointing year I'm getting excited again.
New coaches and the draft, if that doesn't excite you then you don't have a pulse. (where have I heard that)

I agree, this is definitely one of the better drafts I've seen for the Texans, however I disagree with Jean-Gilles as he is a very large OG and I don't think he fits into zone blocking very well, Davin Joseph would be a better choice there. Isn't Matua pretty large too, or is that just Lutui?
Old 01-20-2006   #17
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Two takes, same first pick

1. R. Bush
33. L. Pope TE
65. J. Trueblood OT
66. AJ Nicholson LB
97. W Allen OG
129. N. Salley FS
161. J. Lay CB
193. D. Hunter CB

1. R Bush
33. M Jean-Giles OG
65. J. Trueblood OT
66. J. Klopfenstien. TE
97. R. Cook C/OT (at 6-7 325, bit could play anywhere on the Oline
129. C Oyengecha CB
161. A Harris LB
193. F. Rucker DE
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #18
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

The more I think about it.. the more I think that will will not take more than one Olineman on the first day. If that. I think we could take one to immediatly come in and compete for a starting spot.. but I think we are more likely to grab a couple on the second day..and a couple undrafted free agents..and start grooming them to fit the Denver scheme.

Im ok with this though cause with some better coaching I think we can squeeze by for a season with most of the Olinemen we have (I know..you cant beleive I just said that). They arent elite but if they can be servicable....long enough for us to start grooming replacements.. that would be helpful.

This draft is very deep in some of the key defensive spots that we need it to be. And if we are really switching to a 4-3...I see us using a number of picks on Defense. Especially in the first day to address the Dline.

Just a thought.

Trading down and grabbing Mario Williams.. and possible Claude Wroten in the 2nd or 3rd.. sounds very nice to me. Ko Simpson, Jason Allen, Cedrik Griffin, Youboty... all good looking prospects to address our DB needs. Thomas Howard in the 2nd or 3rd would be a great pickup for us as well. We are going to need another 4-3 OLB imo.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #19
Dunta_23
All Pro

1. Reggie Bush RB USC
33. Max Jean-Gilles OG Georgia
65. Jeremy Trueblood OT Boston College
66. Cedric Griffin CB Texas
97. Will Allen OG Texas
129. David Thomas TE Texas
161. Maurice Stovall WR Notre Dame
193. Drew Olsen QB UCLA
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #20
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
The more I think about it.. the more I think that will will not take more than one Olineman on the first day. If that. I think we could take one to immediatly come in and compete for a starting spot.. but I think we are more likely to grab a couple on the second day..and a couple undrafted free agents..and start grooming them to fit the Denver scheme.

Im ok with this though cause with some better coaching I think we can squeeze by for a season with most of the Olinemen we have (I know..you cant beleive I just said that). They arent elite but if they can be servicable....long enough for us to start grooming replacements.. that would be helpful.

This draft is very deep in some of the key defensive spots that we need it to be. And if we are really switching to a 4-3...I see us using a number of picks on Defense. Especially in the first day to address the Dline.

Just a thought.

Trading down and grabbing Mario Williams.. and possible Claude Wroten in the 2nd or 3rd.. sounds very nice to me. Ko Simpson, Jason Allen, Cedrik Griffin, Youboty... all good looking prospects to address our DB needs. Thomas Howard in the 2nd or 3rd would be a great pickup for us as well. We are going to need another 4-3 OLB imo.
I still really hope we get two starting quality guys that first day, grabbing Eric Winston and Davin Joseph would be awesome and then bringing in LeCharles Bentley would make a huge difference in our OLine, although Kubiak will have to evaluate our current guys and see how much of the problem is them vs. just the coaching they had, that will greatly impact our decision on drafting them. Some mocks have Winston falling to the 2nd round, so if we trade down with the Jets and have the #33 and #36 picks and can grab the two of them there that would be great, but after the combine I really think Winston will fly back into the mid 1st round. I really see us using all but one 1st day pick on offense though since Kubiak is coming in and wants to fix this offense up and get it going the way it was meant to, and we have been signing a bunch of extra depth on defense already this offseason to compete for spots, so I think between them and our current guys, if we switch to a 4-3 they will give them a chance to compete for most of the spots and would only draft a CB/S or maybe a great DE, and other than that concentrate on offense with our higher picks.

One other note, Max Jean-Gilles is a monster OG and should be a great player, but he does not fit the zone blocking scheme and I don't see him coming here, so for everyone that keeps putting him in their mocks I think Davin Joseph would be a much better fit and would get picked over him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read