Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-19-2006   #1
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4561 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans possibly switching to 4-3

per Cold Pizza...Insider on the show (cannot remember his name) said a "little birdie told him" about this
Old 01-19-2006   #2
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

we have the tackles for it just not the ends. Maybe babin can do it but not peek.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4561 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
we have the tackles for it just not the ends. Maybe babin can do it but not peek.
He said something about Babin and Peek at DE and something else about the tackles. I honestly do not know where he got this from since we have no coach. Unless the little birdie is Kubes...
Old 01-19-2006   #4
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
per Cold Pizza...Insider on the show (cannot remember his name) said a "little birdie told him" about this
Little birdies....there's tons of 'em and they all have something to say. How much stock you put in them is your (in general...not you specifically) deal though.

Thanks for sharing...
Old 01-19-2006   #5
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

at 250 pounds.. Peek is small but not TOO SMALL to play a 4-3 end. And last season he showed that he was capable of bulking up.. he may be able to bulk up a bit more and still keep his speed and quickness.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006   #6
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

does kubes know enough about our defensive personel to say we would work best in a 4-3?

personally, id wait for the DC to decide that
Old 01-19-2006   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Everytime I watch Cold Pizza I realize how much they don't know about us.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-19-2006   #8
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
Everytime I watch Cold Pizza I realize how much they don't know about us.
They should call it Old Pizza
Old 01-19-2006   #9
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

We could pull it off if we get 2 years to do it. We obviously have some good DTs to work with, and I think it would really help out TJ if we switched to the 4-3. Babin might be able to switch, if he added some weight. Peek would work as a pass rusher, in the mold of Robert Mathis, however we would still need to look to the draft or FA to get the other DE.

At LB, Wong could work in the middle or strongside, while Greenwood might actually be solid on the weakside. But again, we're a player short on D. I think we move Wong back to strongside and draft a good MLB like Abdul Hodge in the 2nd becuase its alot easier to find good MLBs than it is OLBs.

Our secondary wouldnt change much, but we would still need to find a clearcut #2 CB. Wether it be Faggins, Buchanon, or a offseason pickup is yet to be seen, but we need someone to step up. Depending on how we feel about Glenn Earl, we might need another SS. I didnt get to watch him play at all, so Im not going to say much about him.
Old 01-19-2006   #10
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88
We could pull it off if we get 2 years to do it. We obviously have some good DTs to work with, and I think it would really help out TJ if we switched to the 4-3. Babin might be able to switch, if he added some weight. Peek would work as a pass rusher, in the mold of Robert Mathis, however we would still need to look to the draft or FA to get the other DE.

At LB, Wong could work in the middle or strongside, while Greenwood might actually be solid on the weakside. But again, we're a player short on D. I think we move Wong back to strongside and draft a good MLB like Abdul Hodge in the 2nd becuase its alot easier to find good MLBs than it is OLBs.

Our secondary wouldnt change much, but we would still need to find a clearcut #2 CB. Wether it be Faggins, Buchanon, or a offseason pickup is yet to be seen, but we need someone to step up. Depending on how we feel about Glenn Earl, we might need another SS. I didnt get to watch him play at all, so Im not going to say much about him.
I largely agree with you, our team is definitely lacking a true MLB, but I'm not sure if there are any really good ones in the draft, so for now Wong could stay at MLB and Greenwood and Orr could play our OLB positions. We would need to bring in one more DE during the offseason and need Buchanon to step it up or bring in a new CB, Faggins isn't fast enough or tough enough to be a main #2 CB, Buchanon at least has the speed if he elevates the rest of his game.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006   #11
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

remember along the defensive line and linebacker position there will be some play in free agency as well
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006   #12
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sometimes I think those little birdies are nothing but posts on this website.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006   #13
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Babin can switch, Peek can't. Maybe Pettway from the practice sqaud can.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006   #14
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Pettway is less of a DE than Peek. Peek could at least be a situational pass rusher right now, and if he gains 15-20 lbs. he could be a more full-time pass rusher, which is what he needs to do, that is definitely his strength being told to do nothing but hunt the QB down rather than having to mess with coverages and all that.
Old 01-19-2006   #15
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Pettway is an inch taller and 5 pounds heavier than Peek.
Old 01-19-2006   #16
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

I look at it that we could do it this year if we wanted to. Peek and Babin can play weakside end and then draft Mario Williams or someone else to play the Strongside. Orr, Wong, and Greenwood could cover the LBs with Rocky McIntosh likely taking over in the middle when he is ready. JJ from USCarolina is a good corner and plays alot like D-Rob except a little bigger and slower. We have the ability, problem is we need to make sure Earl and CC can play that SS posistion and make tackles and our FS needs to ballhawk pretty well, I recomend maybe Cedric Griffin or Daniel Bullocks possibly. We have a good rotation of DTs and we have enough LBs to make it work also Will Witherspoon may be out there to grab, but he would be costly and we just cannot afford to spend much more on LBs. Our backup LBs are decent enough though with Polk, Evans, and Andersen if they stay, but Andersen and Evans could likely be replaced by rookies. All in all we have the pieces. I am still a fan of the 3-4 and when ran correctly it is devastating. Kubes should bring Slocum in as a defensive consultant.
Old 01-19-2006   #17
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65
Pettway is an inch taller and 5 pounds heavier than Peek.
He is a little bigger than Peek but having seen the two of them in person before I think Peek looks more suited to be a DE and looks like he could add weight more easily, plus Peek has experience as a DE in college and I don't know if Pettway has ever played it or not.
Old 01-19-2006   #18
rmartin65
I'm Score

Pettway played DE in college. I have not seen either of them in person so you are probably right about Peek looking more like a DE.
Old 01-19-2006   #19
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 7477 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

All the more reason to trade down for Kiwanuka or Williams.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006   #20
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

I think we should at least give the 3-4 one more shot, when run aggressivley. Of course, the players opinion's should also factor in to the decision, players like DRob have already stated their displesure with the 3-4, of course, it was run by fangio...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read