Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-18-2006   #1
chall8
Rookie

Default What if VY went to Notre Dame?

Of those who feel like we should take Vince, would your opinion still be as strong if he'd just led Notre Dame or Michigan or whoever to the national championship?

If your honest answer is yes, then you're basically saying that you feel we need a change a QB for the long term (which happens to be my opinion).

If your honest answer is no, then you're basically saying that you want him here because he's a Longhorn, or from Houston, which to me isn't a good enough reason alone to take a guy. It's icing on the cake, but shouldn't be the driving force behind the decision.
chall8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

The answer is NO. People want Vince because he is Vince from Houston who played at UT. If QB was a big need of ours, then we would be discussing Vince v. Matt v. Reggie.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #3
CenTexNative
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CenTexNative Send a message via Yahoo to CenTexNative

I don't think the Texans need Vince young. So my stance on this has never changed. We need offensive linemen defensive linemen that can put pressure on the opposing quarterback and a good linebacker and defensive back, preferrably a safety. But that's just me
Old 01-18-2006   #4
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

What if VY went to Notre Dame?

Then we would have 1,000 "Nordegren has it" threads.
Old 01-18-2006   #5
Dennis007
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall8
Of those who feel like we should take Vince, would your opinion still be as strong if he'd just led Notre Dame or Michigan or whoever to the national championship?

If your honest answer is yes, then you're basically saying that you feel we need a change a QB for the long term (which happens to be my opinion).

If your honest answer is no, then you're basically saying that you want him here because he's a Longhorn, or from Houston, which to me isn't a good enough reason alone to take a guy. It's icing on the cake, but shouldn't be the driving force behind the decision.
I don't care if it was Pee Wee Herman Univ and he was from Pitchback, Idaho -After that display of talent, How can u not take him?!
Dennis007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #6
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default He could go to Alcorn State for all I care (tho he'd have to have fatter stats).

I think in the QB position, Carr needs a new start and so do we. Admittedly, I wouldn't be saying that if I didn't think that VY was a rare QB talent that is hard to compare to others that have come before him--an amazing package of size and skills. Some can claim that Kubiak with Bush is a new start, but if Carr keeps getting killed without throwing the ball outta bounds when he is in a position to do so, it is gonna get gnarly.

The hometown hero thing does complicate stuff for the Texans. You can try to ignore that, but the general public won't. Houston will be a tough place for Carr if the Texans keep losing. That might not be fair, but it is a reality.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #7
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
The answer is NO. People want Vince because he is Vince from Houston who played at UT. If QB was a big need of ours, then we would be discussing Vince v. Matt v. Reggie.
Matt is just a talented fungible pocket passer who gets nicked up. Nice QB, who would get killed in Houston. I never understood the Ligerheart facination.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-18-2006   #8
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
Matt is just a talented fungible pocket passer who gets nicked up. Nice QB, who would get killed in Houston. I never understood the Ligerheart facination.
completely agree. Matt would have no chance in houston, thats why he isnt in the discussion. Behind the o-line, you need a quarterback that is mobile. Period. David Carr gets killed routinely. Matt Leinart is David Carr V 2.0. Besides, Vince Young vs. Matt Leinart isnt a debate.....Young wins hands down. I personally wouldnt care if he went to eastern carolina university. Im not burnt orange, and i actually went to a school that hates most ut products......TEXAS STATE! but anyways.....Carr didnt get it done. Dominack Davis has had success. Carr needs to be replaced. Davis doesnt.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #9
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

He would be on the bench behind Brady Quinn. LOL.....i kid i kid (who knows though?)
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #10
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I think any QB that put up the numbers that VY has done, shown the improvement he has in his passing game and win the national championship in the fashion that UT did then yes he would still be discussed no matter where he went to school.

In fact if he went to ND he would probably have been already anointed as a saint. You do not have to look that far to see the ND hype maching going gaga over Brady Quinn. It certainly helps when their team has its own contract with NBC, still not sure how that is legal by NCAA standards.
Old 01-18-2006   #11
7thsign
Rookie

If Vince went to Norte Dame more people would have known about him before this year and there would be no question about him being the first pick.
7thsign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #12
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 6809 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
I won't argue that Leinart doesn't possess many physical attributes like Young does, but to say he's a "fungible pocket passer" is kind of silly. Where do most QB's throw the ball from, the goal posts? Is being a polished pocket QB such a bad thing? I've never seen the guy panic under pressure. He's smart, composed, and doesn't make many poor decisions from what I've seen over the past 3 years. He also managed 367yds 1TD/1INT against a top 10 pass defense in the Rose Bowl, while Young put up a whopping 267 0/0 against the 73rd ranked pass defense. That is why I prefer Leinart over Young.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #13
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 54346 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDizzle
I won't argue that Leinart doesn't possess many physical attributes like Young does, but to say he's a "fungible pocket passer" is kind of silly. Where do most QB's throw the ball from, the goal posts? Is being a polished pocket QB such a bad thing? I've never seen the guy panic under pressure. He's smart, composed, and doesn't make many poor decisions from what I've seen over the past 3 years. He also managed 367yds 1TD/1INT against a top 10 pass defense in the Rose Bowl, while Young put up a whopping 267 0/0 against the 73rd ranked pass defense. That is why I prefer Leinart over Young.
JACK....JACK How dare you commit such heresy on this board.

And in anwer to the original question, dtran04 is correct, Young would have sat on the bench and watched Brady Quinn, a real QB.
Old 01-18-2006   #14
txlonghorn14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07
completely agree. Matt would have no chance in houston, thats why he isnt in the discussion. Behind the o-line, you need a quarterback that is mobile. Period. David Carr gets killed routinely. Matt Leinart is David Carr V 2.0. Besides, Vince Young vs. Matt Leinart isnt a debate.....Young wins hands down. I personally wouldnt care if he went to eastern carolina university. Im not burnt orange, and i actually went to a school that hates most ut products......TEXAS STATE! but anyways.....Carr didnt get it done. Dominack Davis has had success. Carr needs to be replaced. Davis doesnt.
man, finally a statement that i totally agree with.
Old 01-18-2006   #15
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
Speak for yourself.
Not From UT
Am a native Houstonian but could care less about VY being from here. It does help though cuz it makes knowing his potential easier as I seen a HS game of his, 2 Horns games (father of another kid who plays little leagus Football with my son has season tix).
I just flat out think he is the best fit. We need a change at that position.
We don't owe him anything(carr) other than his $$

Keeping carr along with getting Kubes is gotta be like getting married to a women who is recently divorced and she asks you to wear her x's old clothes, us his old cologne, and etc for Kubes.
Old 01-18-2006   #16
big homey
Veteran

It's true, if people really wanted VY for a change at QB instead of just a hometown hero, then Leinart would definitely be a part of the debate. They try to defend their position by downing Leinart, who is no doubt a composed pocket passer and is just as much a leader as Vince.
Old 01-18-2006   #17
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by big homey
It's true, if people really wanted VY for a change at QB instead of just a hometown hero, then Leinart would definitely be a part of the debate. They try to defend their position by downing Leinart, who is no doubt a composed pocket passer and is just as much a leader as Vince.
yep
Old 01-18-2006   #18
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
no...read the posts. We want a change in the STYLE of qb as well...pocket passer doesnt work when you cant keep a pocket together....leinart is no doubt a composed pocket passer, and a fine leader. However, for the 50000000th time, a pocket qb wont work in a system where you get 1.3 seconds from the snap to release the ball. Thats why leinart isnt even up for debate, he couldnt possibly be an upgrade over carr.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #19
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 6809 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree. I think the hype surrounding Bush, Leinart, and Young is much deserved, but to say player A is "hands down" better than player B stinks of homerism and man-love, which is pretty evident in many threads that dismiss Leinart immidiately and ignore the things he brings to the table.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #20
big homey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07
no...read the posts. We want a change in the STYLE of qb as well...pocket passer doesnt work when you cant keep a pocket together....leinart is no doubt a composed pocket passer, and a fine leader. However, for the 50000000th time, a pocket qb wont work in a system where you get 1.3 seconds from the snap to release the ball. Thats why leinart isnt even up for debate, he couldnt possibly be an upgrade over carr.
A mobile QB likely would have more success with this team's line, but it won't last too long. You've seen what happened to Vick, McNabb, and Culpepper this season, and with VY's reckless running (he engages the tackler rather than protecting himself), he could easily suffer the same fate. Not to mention the aforementioned QBs have better lines than we do.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read