Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-18-2006   #1
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kiper's first round

Mel Kiper's first round mock on ESPN insider has us taking Reggie Bush (but thats not why im posting this..i hope we trade down personally)

Anyway..the interesting thing is.. he has TWO Olinemen going in the first round.. Dbrick to the Jets at #4, and Justice to Miami at #16.

Pretty interesting.. if Kiper is accurate in this.. we will definatly have a great selection of Olinemen in the second, possibly even in the third.

oh..and Young goes to Tennessee at #3.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #2
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Can someone with ESPN insider cut and paste Kiper's mock into this board somewhere? I've seen people comment on it but no one that I have seen has posted his whole mock up.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #3
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Just wanted to remind everyone that late in the season last year Kiper had Dan Cody as his number 1 prospect.
Old 01-18-2006   #4
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Kiper, like most of these other draft experts people have been touting on here for weeks, provides perspective, if only slightly more credible perspective because of his position with ESPN and his status as their 'draft expert.'

I know Grid was posting it merely as an FYI, not endorsing it as the end-all, be-all truth, but Kiper can be pretty off base. And, he has about three months worth of flip-flopping left to do.

I am torn! I like parts of the Bush argument, I like parts of the trade argument. What to do?
Old 01-18-2006   #5
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Yah im not putting much weight in it.. just interesting considering that Kiper DOES have some connections.. and if he isnt hearing alot of hype surrounding the OTs in this draft, we could see them slip.

I dont trust him when it comes to a certain pick.. like him saying that Hlatoi Ngata will be a top ten selection.. but in broader terms.. like, well, how much interest is there in the OTs in the draft, he can be alot more accurate.

ANd I understand where you are coming from about being torn Jerek.. I like the athleticism and dominant performance of Bush.. but considering what the Broncos have done with their group of "eh" RBs.. and the amazing amount of talent in this draft.. trading down looks alot more appealing to me. I will support either move though.

And I could post the whole mock but ive been told before that we are not allowed to post "pay to see" stuff.. only the free stuff that is open to the public. We can summarize and reference the paid for stuff though.
Old 01-18-2006   #6
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

I would really expect to see more OLinemen in the 1st round, but if Eric Winston will fall to us at #33 I'd be thrilled. I don't know why Baltimore would get another DE, but ok, and I don't see two LBs going in the top 7, I really think the 49ers will try to do something on offense to help Alex Smith out, there aren't any WRs worthy of #6/7 but maybe go for one of the RBs liek DeAngelo Williams, Lawrence Maroney, or Lendale White, or else OL. St. Louis needs a TE since they don't really have one (granted Martz's offense didn't use one), but I don't know if they'd go for one at #11, I think they could easily go defense there, and Indy getting Maroney at #30 would imply that Edgerrin James is no longer on the team, so I don't know about that. Either way, Kiper will change his mind twice a day until the draft and the final draft order hasn't even been decided yet, and he's supposed to be their draft "expert" so I won't argue with it too much for now.
Old 01-18-2006   #7
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Anthony Fasano is a first rounder and Max-Jean Gilles isn't? Okie Dokie.
Old 01-18-2006   #8
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Marcedes Lewis didn't go in the first round?
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #9
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
I am torn! I like parts of the Bush argument, I like parts of the trade argument. What to do?
Take VY and call it a day, read about the other pix in the paper the next morning. Don't worry about the 2nd day pix cuz CC will trade them all away to the team that has the rights to Matt Stevens.

Just kidding with ya Jerek, Trading down is a terrific option but I'd like to see it happen twice if we do it. Maybe down to #4 with jets along with their 2nd rd'r and then give up the that #4 to denver for both of their #1 rd's and if they hesitate we can coax the deal with one of the 4 pix we have between rd2 and rd3.
Old 01-18-2006   #10
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan
Take VY and call it a day, read about the other pix in the paper the next morning. Don't worry about the 2nd day pix cuz CC will trade them all away to the team that has the rights to Matt Stevens.

Just kidding with ya Jerek, Trading down is a terrific option but I'd like to see it happen twice if we do it. Maybe down to #4 with jets along with their 2nd rd'r and then give up the that #4 to denver for both of their #1 rd's and if they hesitate we can coax the deal with one of the 4 pix we have between rd2 and rd3.
That would be a decent double trade, although I doubt Denver would bother trading up to #4, although maybe if Mario puts up some huge workout numbers they'd do it to get him since they like going defense, but if that's the case I'd prefer to take Mario for ourselves. Denver's picks are also at #22 and either #29, 31, or 32 depending on how they do the rest of the way, and I'm not sure the Texans want to trade that far down in the draft, if they have the #1 I'm pretty sure they'll stay high enough to make sure they get one of the people they evaluate as being a stud that they are really targeting, and I doubt there are 22 of them in the draft, but maybe.
Old 01-18-2006   #11
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
Kiper, like most of these other draft experts people have been touting on here for weeks, provides perspective, if only slightly more credible perspective because of his position with ESPN and his status as their 'draft expert.'

I know Grid was posting it merely as an FYI, not endorsing it as the end-all, be-all truth, but Kiper can be pretty off base. And, he has about three months worth of flip-flopping left to do.

I think EVERYONE can be pretty off base.

Most people had Aaron Rogers going Top 5, maybe even #1 and he slipped into the 20's.

I can't wait this is going to be a fun offseason.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #12
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Actually I remember a lot of people (Mel included), who said that if the Niners don't pick Aaron Rogers he could fall far because there were a glut of teams that didn't need a QB
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
Actually I remember a lot of people (Mel included), who said that if the Niners don't pick Aaron Rogers he could fall far because there were a glut of teams that didn't need a QB
ya, but nobody (including kiper) was really saying that until a few days before the draft last year.
Old 01-18-2006   #14
Lucky

Rep Power: 208260 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
Marcedes Lewis didn't go in the first round?
Nope. And to clarify, you can't post the mock per se, but you can ask and answer questions like where did Michael Huff go (Falcons) or who did the Colts take (Laurence Maroney).
Old 01-18-2006   #15
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Why would Denver take a DE? They have 5 quality starters on the DL...then agin, Pryce is getting old, and they have very few holes to fill. I could acctually see them trading up to get Huff, seeing as Lynch is on his last leg and they arnt that great in the secondary, maybe Santonio Holmes?
Old 01-18-2006   #16
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 38175 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Would it be safe to say that the Texans would take a run at Marcedes Lewis if he was available in the 2nd round?
Old 01-18-2006   #17
Grid
Hall of Fame

I wouldnt say that it is safe to say. Possible though. But it looks like a lot of useful players could slide to us.
Old 01-18-2006   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
I wouldnt say that it is safe to say. Possible though. But it looks like a lot of useful players could slide to us.
Grid......you know......I know.......the boards flip after the combines
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #19
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316
Would it be safe to say that the Texans would take a run at Marcedes Lewis if he was available in the 2nd round?
nothing is ever safe, especially with cass.

everyone thought we would take DJ when he fell to us last year, but not cass.

I would seriously look at lewis in the second round though.
Old 01-18-2006   #20
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

I think we have way to many holes to fill to be picking up a TE in the second. He isnt that great of a blocker anyways.... this is of course dependat on the first round. If we draft Bush, we better get Davin Joseph in the second, Bently in FA or someone like Elssinger in the 3rd... otherwise Reggie and everyone else will be on the sideline watching the D get run over after another slew of sacks attack David Carr...

by the way, there is no way in hell we draft Vince Young, get used to it!!!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read