Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2006   #1
Sportsfan
All Pro

Default Some off record comments from Gaffney about Carr

I met a guy yesterday at a friend of mine's birthday bash who use to live next to Gaffney. Anyway Gaffney moved a while back but they ran into each other in a mall right after the Texan's season and spoke briefly about the season.

Some points he made about Carr were:
- the coaches had a noose around his neck, but when they let him play his game, Carr is unstoppable he feels.
-Carr is an awesome leader and the team rallies around him and really respects him
-Carr is a true gamer, studies loads of film, lives and breathes football, but he feels he was held back or resticted by the Texans' philosophies. He feels Carr has enough game to set the tone of a game ala P. Manning if he is given the freedom.

Some things about himself and the Texans he said:
- He looks forward to next season b/c the team really respects McNair and knows he do whatever it takes to build a championship team
- He didn't really comment on the #1 pick except for something like 'as long as they help us win'

Pretting interesting stuff coming straight from a players mouth, off the record.
Just thought i'd share.
Cheers
Old 01-18-2006   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for sharing. Funny how many of the Carr supporters dog Gaffney and many of the Carr bashers like Gaff. I hope they both show us something next year if they are back in a Texans uniform.
Old 01-18-2006   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

before people come in here and dog the credibility of these comments.

Just wanna say I hope that this is all true and that Gaffney really feels that way. Cause I would like to see Carr succeed here, and I want to see Gaffney return next season, and I want to see the coaching staff give our offense alot more freedom.
Old 01-18-2006   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

That is interesting.

I've heard specifically that one of the other receivers thinks we should trade down and build the trenches. Regardless if trade down is the right thing to do, this leads me to believe that he thinks there are bigger problems than Carr.
Old 01-18-2006   #5
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
For the people who do want to 'dog' the credibility of those comments, spare us. We get it, ok?
Old 01-18-2006   #6
Sportsfan
All Pro

Quote:
yeah i expect a few of those. Its not like i sit around and conjure up BS to post on message boards. I rarerly start threads on here unless its of value, i'm more of a spectator that just laughs and shakes my head at all the BS posted on here.
Old 01-18-2006   #7
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

My uncle used to live next door to McKinney's brother's ex-wife and he said she said he said that the whole problem is that AJ and D-Rob suck.

No really, I hope you're right and I'm both a Carr and Gaffney supporter, although I wouldn't make him #2, except in a pinch.
Sponsored links
Old 01-18-2006   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting comments, I hope they are all true.
Isn't Gaff an unrestricted FA this year ? If the Texans ultimately decide to go
with Reggie, this probably wouldn't bode well for Gaff's job security since he gets plays in the slot and Reggie may get some snaps from that positon.
Old 01-18-2006   #9
Spoda
Veteran

mckinney lives 2 streets from me ..but i don't think i have the stones to just walk up and ask him...he has field turf under his playground
Old 01-18-2006   #10
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Thanks for sharing. Funny how many of the Carr supporters dog Gaffney and many of the Carr bashers like Gaff. I hope they both show us something next year if they are back in a Texans uniform.
Yeah, in a Conroe Texans semi-pro league uniform.
Old 01-18-2006   #11
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
For the people who do want to 'dog' the credibility of those comments, spare us. We get it, ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texans Fan
Yeah, in a Conroe Texans semi-pro league uniform.

speak of the devil
Old 01-18-2006   #12
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
My uncle used to live next door to McKinney's brother's ex-wife and he said she said he said that the whole problem is that AJ and D-Rob suck.

No really, I hope you're right and I'm both a Carr and Gaffney supporter, although I wouldn't make him #2, except in a pinch.
So, does that make you a "PERSONAL ATHLETIC SUPPORTER"? (AKA...a jock strap)
Old 01-18-2006   #13
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

shrugs...my only complaint with that is that gaffney is a stinkin gator...what does he know?

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
Old 01-18-2006   #14
NFLforher
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan
I met a guy yesterday at a friend of mine's birthday bash who use to live next to Gaffney. Anyway Gaffney moved a while back but they ran into each other in a mall right after the Texan's season and spoke briefly about the season.

Some points he made about Carr were:
- the coaches had a noose around his neck, but when they let him play his game, Carr is unstoppable he feels.
-Carr is an awesome leader and the team rallies around him and really respects him
-Carr is a true gamer, studies loads of film, lives and breathes football, but he feels he was held back or resticted by the Texans' philosophies. He feels Carr has enough game to set the tone of a game ala P. Manning if he is given the freedom.

Some things about himself and the Texans he said:
- He looks forward to next season b/c the team really respects McNair and knows he do whatever it takes to build a championship team
- He didn't really comment on the #1 pick except for something like 'as long as they help us win'

Pretting interesting stuff coming straight from a players mouth, off the record.
Just thought i'd share.
Cheers

Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-18-2006   #15
SESupergenius

I am guilty of dogging Gaffney, I just never thought he was a #2 reciever. I will however give everyone, including Pitts a new clean slate to build upon with the new coaching staff. It's wierd that I am looking forward to this next season, depending how the offseason goes. I could tell from our offseason moves last year that were not going to be very good. We probably won't be good this next year, but at least we will start with a new base.

Old 01-18-2006   #16
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07
shrugs...my only complaint with that is that gaffney is a stinkin gator...what does he know?
Ha...that's funny. I hope it's true. I know I've dogged Gaffney before. But I think that's just because of the way the season went.
Old 01-18-2006   #17
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing is.. I think alot of the Gaffney hate is that he isnt a superstar.. he is merely a contributor.. but he is a contributor in a bad offense, so he looks bad by association.

he doesnt have Johnsons incredible measurables.. or Mathis' amazing speed.. he is merely a solid football player..comparable to Reggie Wayne, Randel-El, and other such "good but not great" football players.

We arent going to make a superbowl on Gaffney's shoulders.. but his ability to play ball is undeniable in my mind..and in a good offense I see him playing a key role in our success.
Old 01-18-2006   #18
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The thing is.. I think alot of the Gaffney hate is that he isnt a superstar.. he is merely a contributor.. but he is a contributor in a bad offense, so he looks bad by association.

he doesnt have Johnsons incredible measurables.. or Mathis' amazing speed.. he is merely a solid football player..comparable to Reggie Wayne, Randel-El, and other such "good but not great" football players.

We arent going to make a superbowl on Gaffney's shoulders.. but his ability to play ball is undeniable in my mind..and in a good offense I see him playing a key role in our success.
Yeah, what he said.
Old 01-18-2006   #19
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yet another talent misused by the Texans jack off coaching staff. He is always gonna be that slot #3 wide out who catches 4-5 balls a game. As said above not a "play maker" but an important, sure handed slot. Alot of over the middle and could burn a LB with a proper mismatch.
Old 01-18-2006   #20
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:

I'll second that motion.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read