Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-17-2006   #1
yako0o
Rookie

Default Why Lendale White would be better for the Texans then Bush.

Jet Fan here, just trying to give you guys an objective opinion.

--I think the Pressure on your org. is tremendous in this draft to take Reggie or Vince but in reality there might be a chance neither is the RIGHT pick. Im really interested to see what the texan do, and As a fan you guys are going to hav a fun offseason.

Your new coach is Gary Kubiac, who runs a zone blocking scheme. Now I know this is discussed at times on your board but lets keep it simple. Its made for running between the tackles, and bigger guys, and involves usually 2 options. One is the original, and the other is a cut back(Called the one cut system by some). The bigger backs who have had success include Rueben Droughns, Mike Anderson, Terrel Davis, and Eddie George.

Reggie Bush does not fit this mold. Firstly he is an amazing returner(punt/kick), but most believe he wont be returning especially when you guys have a PRO BOWLER at returner. So Lets take returning out of the situation, and we have his pass catching ability which I have rarely seen in Denver. Now we have running style:
---Bush has not proven he can run between the tackles. He has amazing acceleration, good speed, and excels running on the outside. He has great hands, and catches out of the backfield. He has not proven he can take many carries consecutively, as well in a games entirity. He does not fit the system.

Now, His teammate, LW does, and suprisingly I believe he does alot more then RB. First I know your thinking hes slow--its deceptive. He came into college and has run a 4.43--google it. LW is BIGG, hes a bruising back that came into games when teams were loading up to stop the run and succeeded. He runs in between the tackles great. He has great vision, and it shooting up in the eyes of Draft gurus right now. Given the right opportunity like Gary Kubiacs scheme I believe he can easily win ROY next year.

So what happens when you draft a guy in one system and play him in another? Well Im gonna list a few-- Ron Dayne was AMAZING in college ina one cut system, and the giants put him in a different one running outside, and basically what Tiki Barber has become. Ron went back to the one cut system this year, and had some success AVG 5 ypc. Brian Westbrook for a few games was running for a few games with little success, and then the Eagles switched to a EXTREME version of the WCO to take advantage of him.

Last notes

--I think that you guys are ina great position. You could trade down, Get LW and get MUCH MUCH more then Eli Manning did the chargers.

--Lendale White had about the same amount of yards and 8 MORE td's the Reggie Bush in there three years. Again he did this alot when teams were stacking the line playing from behind.

Alot of draft experts are comparing Lendale White to Larry Johnson. At usc they call LW "the law", as hes a tough one to bring down. You guys have seen what Larry Johnson have done. Why the comparison? The running style packages with their measurables in which LW is faster.

Larry Johnson RB | (6-1, 228, 4.6)
Lendale White Rb (6-2, 235, 4.43

I know you guys are locked on Bush/VY, but I just wanted to throw out a different viewpoint for you. All I know is the season is not even over and Mcnair is throwing Smoke screens already lol.

Thoughts ? LW perhaps @ 6 or 7?
yako0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #2
Mario Williams
Rookie

Hmm... so Lendale is better than Bush.
Old 01-17-2006   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 239970 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

LenDale will be a better pro back than Bush. Book it.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #4
bpergrem3
Rookie

Looks like the Jets will be able to pick him up where they pick. Lucky them.
bpergrem3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #5
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure I would do this but I enjoyed the post. Very well presented. He is a horse.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #6
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Saw LenDale in an interview on ESPN the other day, and he looked pretty overweight. But he fits the needs of a team needing a north/south back. We've already failed in that area once (Stacey Mack).
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #7
TreWardTxn
Veteran

I do not see the benefit Reggie Bush will provide the Texans due to the megacontract he will receive as the first pick. Domanick Davis is a better between the tackle runner and catches well out the backfield. Let's remember that running backs have to block also. You can't have a guy who, everytime he is in the game the offense can't max protect, or in short yardage situations, it tips the defense off that a pass play is coming (Bush is not a short yardage back). If you want a receiver, get a receiver. I just not sure if the Texans should spend $60M to become the best screen-running team in the league...
TreWardTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-17-2006   #8
yako0o
Rookie

Quote:
I'm not sure I would do this but I enjoyed the post. Very well presented. He is a horse.
Thanks Frogger, it was the point of it.

I dont think anyone else read it through.

I never said LW is a better player. I said LW would be better for the texans system, and when you can get a player at 6 or 7 that fits your system better then the guy @1, it should be considered.

The texans could end up with Multiple first round picks, an extra second rounder, and get a guy better for there system.

I think some texan fans are getting drawn into the Hyper machine that is Vince Young, and Reggie Bush. Both are great prospects but did you notice how much they skyrocketed after one game?

I called it Reggie Bush BFN(Before Fresno State), and AFS as after that game he instantly became a lock for the number 1 pick, and best college back ever.

If Reggie Bush was so dominant, how come he didnt even have better stats then the guy in the same backfield? Google it, LW had a better career at Rb.

I think Texan Fans should look at their coach and why they hired him. Kubiac strengths are RB and offensive line, those are the places you need the least help.

Last edited by yako0o; 01-17-2006 at 05:08 PM.
yako0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #9
Caphorn
Rookie

You just couldn't pick him with the first pick. No way. But, Lendale is going to be a fantastic pro. I think it's hard to compare him to Reggie, but I like Lendale better because of his ability to run between the tackles. I do think the Texans would be well served to think about how little an advantage Bush's speed gives you when faced with NFL quality DBs and LBs. Lendale will be a great mid to late first round pickup and will contribute.

AD is hands down though the best college RB right now. Unfortunately, nobody can get their hands on him until next year.
Caphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #10
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 6809 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

If we were to move back for an RB (which we're not going to do), then look no further than DeAngelo Williams if you want the horse.

Or, move back, take Mario Williams and take your shot at Adrian Peterson next year
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #11
Caphorn
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDizzle
If we were to move back for an RB (which we're not going to do), then look no further than DeAngelo Williams if you want the horse.

Or, move back, take Mario Williams and take your shot at Adrian Peterson next year
If you move back then move back to take a defensive player. Taking a position where you have some good young depth never made alot of sense to begin with did it?
Old 01-17-2006   #12
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

I think that where Bush will have the higher YPC, total yards, and total TDs at the end of his career, White will have the more rushing yards and rushing TDs at the end of his career. But then the next question is going to be is who will have the longer career. White would in theory, who will be an every down back in my opinion, will have a shorter career, because he'll average 20+ carries a game. Bush will average between 10-15 carries.
Now on the Texans front, I think that White would be a greater compliment to DD, who I think we should keep. I just wonder when White is going to go in the draft. If he was available in the 2nd round, I'd take himin a heart beat, that's if we trade away our first pick and get De'Brick with our first pick.
Old 01-17-2006   #13
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 19458 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

LenDale reminds me of Bettis
He could be the "thunder".
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #14
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 6809 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caphorn
If you move back then move back to take a defensive player. Taking a position where you have some good young depth never made alot of sense to begin with did it?
If you read the thread owner's first post, he's the one that made the suggestion we trade back for Lendale White. I more or less said that Deangelo Williams is a better RB than he is, I wasn't agreeing that we should move back and target a RB. I also suggested we draft Mario Williams (a defensive end) and take a shot at Adrian Peterson (a running back) next year.
Old 01-17-2006   #15
Caphorn
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDizzle
If you read the thread owner's first post, he's the one that made the suggestion we trade back for Lendale White. I more or less said that Deangelo Williams is a better RB than he is, I wasn't agreeing that we should move back and target a RB. I also suggested we draft Mario Williams (a defensive end) and take a shot at Adrian Peterson (a running back) next year.
OK. I wasn't disagreeing with all of your post, just the idea that we trade down and then pick up DeAngelo. I'd think that any discussion of defensive players would have to begin with AJ Hawk. That guy could be the cornerstone of a fantastic D and is a real difference maker. I wish we had lost the Reggie Bowl at this point because I think Hawk is the better choice anyway and we'd have been set to pick him in the right order.
Old 01-17-2006   #16
JDizzle
I'm a dude

I agree, we need a defensive superstar pretty bad and if we trade back we should do it and target the best defensive player in the draft.
Old 01-17-2006   #17
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc
LenDale will be a better pro back than Bush. Book it.
Invoice is on the way.

I think White has the tools to have the biggest impact on a team next year.
Old 01-17-2006   #18
stevo3883
All Pro

White reminds me of Ron Dayne so much that its scary.
Old 01-17-2006   #19
HOOK'EM
Veteran

How can you say Bush cant run between the tackles in the NFL, they said the same thing about DD in his scouting report coming into the league he was suppose to be no more than a punt returner and 3rd down back.
HOOK'EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #20
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by yako0o
Jet Fan here, just trying to give you guys an objective opinion.

--I think the Pressure on your org. is tremendous in this draft to take Reggie or Vince but in reality there might be a chance neither is the RIGHT pick. Im really interested to see what the texan do, and As a fan you guys are going to hav a fun offseason.
I agree it is going to be fun. But both of those picks might be right for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yako0o
Your new coach is Gary Kubiac, who runs a zone blocking scheme. Now I know this is discussed at times on your board but lets keep it simple. Its made for running between the tackles, and bigger guys, and involves usually 2 options. One is the original, and the other is a cut back(Called the one cut system by some). The bigger backs who have had success include Rueben Droughns, Mike Anderson, Terrel Davis, and Eddie George.

Reggie Bush does not fit this mold.
wrong wrong wrong wrong
Reggie Bush 6-0, 200 <- College Weight (he'll be 205 - 210 by the first game.)
Terrell Davis 5-11, 210 lbs
Clinton Portis 5-11, 205 lbs
Reuben Droughns 5-11, 207 lbs
Mike Anderson 6-0, 230 <-only really big back.

Denver's system is the PERFECT system for a guy like REGGIE BUSH.

Your right Lendale White is going to be a stud. I would love to have him on our team. But he is different than Larry Johnson. Larry Johnson averaged more Yards per Carry than Lendale White did in College. I think Lendale is going to make some team really happy. But if we aren't talking about taking a Superstar playmaker and are talking about Trading down...than the Texans have other needs than running back.

Last edited by LBC_Justin; 01-17-2006 at 06:42 PM.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read