Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-17-2006   #1
Nighthawk
All Pro

Default My Oilers/Titans/Texans story; am I alone?

I've been an Oilers fan since the Charlie Hennigan, Charlie Tolar and George Blanda. When the Oilers moved I did not like Fisher and his brand of football, which was downright Capers-like in those days. I lost interest.

Then came the Texans. I got interested until Casserly and Capers and Carr and the team stunk it up. A couple years ago I faded. Games were boring and team wasn't happening. This year team was a freaking joke. An embarassment. I paid for my NFL Sunday Ticket but couldn't bear to watch.

Now comes Vince Young, ours for the taking. The guy is a big time major league leader with skills to match. He IS what you want your franchise to be about, talent and success and never giving up and having the will to win. He's QB equivalent of Earl Campbell.

So now the Texans are planning on taking a really excellent RB from USC instead, a guy who will have some effect on the team, but won't be the salvation of the team. It's a mistake. It's a rube's play. Sure, having a quick RB who can cut (better than DD, maybe) is a good idea. 1st pick in the draft? Nah.

If Vince Young goes to the Titans old Oilers fans will consider switching their allegiance. They are not fickle. It's about Vince Young who is a once in a lifetime talent, like Earl Campbell. If the Texans pass him him up maybe they don't deserve our allegiance.

Last edited by Nighthawk; 01-17-2006 at 01:45 AM.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #2
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

ummm... no thankyou... I HATE the Titans!

GO TEXANS!
Old 01-17-2006   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

heh.. first its "DONT LET HIM GO TO THE TITANS!" then its "I may have to become a Titans fan if they have Vince Young"... then when we go to the superbowl it will be "I love the Texans! they are my hometown team!"
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #4
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 3484 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

id rather the cowboys trade up and get him, if the texans pass up on him, what better situation for vince than heading to the cowboys?
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #5
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

This is the kinda draft that gets guys fired sooner rather than later
Old 01-17-2006   #6
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 77683 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

I was a huge Oiler fan, win or lose, good or bad, I stuck by that team. In fact that 35-3 game still brings a slight tear to my eye.

But the Oilers are much like that first wife who runs off with your best friend and breaks your heart. You wish her only the worst and hope she regrets leaving you. Never will I rout for them. Okay well maybe if it takes a Titan win to get the Texans into the playoffs, but thats it.

So now on to Vince Young. A home town hero that every Long horn fan in this state is clamering for. Why? From what I keep hearing and reading the only scope Vince is even on is Houston's. Every other team and every scout in the leauge has Bush being the #1 prospect. In fact Lienart in manys eyes is still rated ahead of Young. So really why shouldnt we take Lienart if we are all so sure that Carr isnt the one? If the fans who claim that they would give up there season tickets, not watch the games, and rout for the titans are at all serious then shouldnt it be Lienart they scream for? Or is this truely a Homer thing?

Either way, GO TEXANS!
TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #7
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
It's about Vince Young who is a once in a lifetime talent, like Earl Campbell.
If I read this one more time about Bush or Young, I think I might go over the deep end.
Old 01-17-2006   #8
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexanator
id rather the cowboys trade up and get him, if the texans pass up on him, what better situation for vince than heading to the cowboys?
Me getting hit by a bus. Needless to say, I hate the Cowboys.
Old 01-17-2006   #9
bigtex77
Veteran

If as a "Texans fan" your loyalty hinges on whether or not they draft Vince Young, just head on over to the Titans MB and get started, why wait? I think I speak for most of us true Texans fans when I say good riddance. We will be here, regardless of anything, bad drafts, bad records, it doesn't matter. Oh, and when we start winning, we will be the ones kicking the rest of you guy's a**es off the bandwagon when you try to jump on! Anybody else with me?
Old 01-17-2006   #10
whiskeyrbl

Vy will sell more tickets,but ticket sales dont win superbowls.:brickwall
Old 01-17-2006   #11
whiskeyrbl

I dont believe alot of you are giving Carr a chance.This guy is one of the toughest SOBs at the QB spot (aka Bradshaw).IMO you take Bush,Build the OL with FA vets.Draft defense in the 2nd and 3rd RD. and take TE(D.Thomas) in the 4th,then draft OL 5th and 6th RD.Get Abraham via FA.We are not going to Superbowl next year,lets build for 2-3 years from now.
Old 01-17-2006   #12
gsbtxn
Veteran

I'm with you bigtex
Adoptor of Eric Winston #73
gsbtxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #13
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Vince Young goes to the Titans old Oilers fans will consider switching their allegiance
I root for the team, not the player. If we switched players with the Titans completely, I would still root for the Texans. Where's the loyalty these days?
Old 01-17-2006   #14
Dennis007
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl
VY will sell more tickets and win games and that's what counts.

VY is my guy!!

Dennis007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #15
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I dont believe alot of you are giving Carr a chance.This guy is one of the toughest SOBs at the QB spot (aka Bradshaw).IMO you take Bush,Build the OL with FA vets.Draft defense in the 2nd and 3rd RD. and take TE(D.Thomas) in the 4th,then draft OL 5th and 6th RD.Get Abraham via FA.We are not going to Superbowl next year,lets build for 2-3 years from now.
4 years was my chance. Are we supposed to give him a perfect line, the perfect compliment to AJ, the perfect TE, the perfect RB and then if he messes up, it must be the new coaching?Maybe we can draft a guy in the 7th who can put his hair behind his ears while he is on the bench. I'm tired of excuses for him. At 2-14, there is not one player that deserves a shot more than another and the team as a whole needs to be evaluated.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #16
Dennis007
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog
4 years was my chance. Are we supposed to give him a perfect line, the perfect compliment to AJ, the perfect TE, the perfect RB and then if he messes up, it must be the new coaching?Maybe we can draft a guy in the 7th who can put his hair behind his ears while he is on the bench. I'm tired of excuses for him. At 2-14, there is not one player that deserves a shot more than another and the team as a whole needs to be evaluated.
Here, Here H-Frog... I'm with ya!!!
Dennis007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #17
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Winning sells tickets.

I dont care if we draft Young, Bush, or trade down and take bob fartman, if we start winning, and going to the playoffs, my butt will be in the seat rooting on fartman.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #18
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve
Default sure sounds like some VY ballwashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
I've been an Oilers fan since the Charlie Hennigan, Charlie Tolar and George Blanda. When the Oilers moved I did not like Fisher and his brand of football, which was downright Capers-like in those days. I lost interest.

Then came the Texans. I got interested until Casserly and Capers and Carr and the team stunk it up. A couple years ago I faded. Games were boring and team wasn't happening. This year team was a freaking joke. An embarassment. I paid for my NFL Sunday Ticket but couldn't bear to watch.

Now comes Vince Young, ours for the taking. The guy is a big time major league leader with skills to match. He IS what you want your franchise to be about, talent and success and never giving up and having the will to win. He's QB equivalent of Earl Campbell.

So now the Texans are planning on taking a really excellent RB from USC instead, a guy who will have some effect on the team, but won't be the salvation of the team. It's a mistake. It's a rube's play. Sure, having a quick RB who can cut (better than DD, maybe) is a good idea. 1st pick in the draft? Nah.

If Vince Young goes to the Titans old Oilers fans will consider switching their allegiance. They are not fickle. It's about Vince Young who is a once in a lifetime talent, like Earl Campbell. If the Texans pass him him up maybe they don't deserve our allegiance.

wow, great story!!! i opened up this thread thinking i was going to see some stories about old-school Houston pro football. turns out all it was somebody stumping for vince, again. all you did was dug up some old Oilers names. lame...just say "this is another i want vince. thread."
Old 01-17-2006   #19
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty steve
wow, great story!!! i opened up this thread thinking i was going to see some stories about old-school Houston pro football. turns out all it was somebody stumping for vince, again. all you did was dug up some old Oilers names. lame...just say "this is another i want vince. thread."
Ditto. Why not just title the thread for what it really is.
Old 01-17-2006   #20
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE NFL DRAFT
or trade down and take bob fartman, if we start winning, and going to the playoffs, my butt will be in the seat rooting on fartman.
What is the Fartman's 40 time, bench press, and do you see him more of a split end or a tight end.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read