Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-17-2006   #1
yaboycm
Veteran

Default Something to ponder

The Denver Broncos have been what for the last decade? A running back factory! That team has been able to turn numerous mid-round draft picks into very productive backs. Terrell Davis was a sixth round pick! Mike Anderson, Portis, Droughns, Tatum Bell, etc, etc. Why would you draft a running back with the first pick for this system. I say keep Davis, Wells is your change of pace big back, Morency is your back up for Davis.

DRAFT VINCE YOUNG!!!

DAVID CARR IS NO GOOD. HE SEES THE FIELD THROUGH A PAPER TOWEL ROLL.

VINCE IS A PROVEN LEADER AND WINNER. HE IS THE DOUBLE THREAT THAT OFFENSIVE COORDINATORS DREAM OF HAVING AND DEFENSIVE COORDINATORS HAVE NIGHTMARES ABOUT STOPPING.
Old 01-17-2006   #2
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

YES, what took so long! I've been waiting for another Vince Young thread

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #3
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad
Default Something else to ponder.

Bush on a team with a steer and horns on the helmet?
Vinces' logo (Saints) was used as an identifier on sheilds and flags back in early Roman times?

Bush steals the Heisman and Hometown from Vince?
Vince on a team that could quite possibly be in LA in a season or two?

Too much irony, i like none of it?

Draft Vince, let leinert be the face of the Saints resurrection as they move to LA and become the Los Angeles Earthquakes or something and Bush gets reunited with Norm Chow as the search for a RB ends for the Titans as they were unsuccessful with their guys this past season.
Old 01-17-2006   #4
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

To elaborate on the RB factory thing. It's a good point. Kubiak is bringing Shanny's system and philosophy, right??? Where in Shanny's system does it say draft a RB high when you get great production out of any back you put in there???

The Broncos had 2000 yards rushing between Anderson and Bell. If Bush get's 15 carries a game, averages a generous 5 yards a carry and plays all 16 games, then that comes to 1200 rushing yards. And of course, Davis will get carries to put that total up near 2000, but why do want to get 2000 yards with a 4th rounder and a 1st overall when you could get it with a 4th rounder and a 3rd rounder (Morency would thrive in the Denver system)???

Why not take a QB at #1 that will touch the ball every play and can make plays and lead a team instead of taking a running back #1 when you can get that type of production at a much cheaper price?

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #5
yaboycm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
To elaborate on the RB factory thing. It's a good point. Kubiak is bringing Shanny's system and philosophy, right??? Where in Shanny's system does it say draft a RB high when you get great production out of any back you put in there???

The Broncos had 2000 yards rushing between Anderson and Bell. If Bush get's 15 carries a game, averages a generous 5 yards a carry and plays all 16 games, then that comes to 1200 rushing yards. And of course, Davis will get carries to put that total up near 2000, but why do want to get 2000 yards with a 4th rounder and a 1st overall when you could get it with a 4th rounder and a 3rd rounder (Morency would thrive in the Denver system)???

Why not take a QB at #1 that will touch the ball every play and can make plays and lead a team instead of taking a running back #1 when you can get that type of production at a much cheaper price?
Nice addition.
Old 01-17-2006   #6
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Word
Old 01-17-2006   #7
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Why not pass on both? Oh the world through orange glasses sure clouds the minds of most, I refuse to drink the KoolAid personally
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-17-2006   #8
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

at least the trade down threads can have some difference, i'm just soo tired of them i want april to come so fast.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #9
LBblitz
Veteran

I think that if we DO use the 1st overall pick I want Bush, if not, trade back to get hawk at LB (i wanted DJ last year too) and shore up the OL/DL. Like fiddy said, we can get the same production out of the RBs we have now. Why dont we address our needs?
Old 01-17-2006   #10
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

also if you look at the denver system they also have a QB they didn't draft high, plummer was falling out of favor in Arizona and Kubiak turned him around, he will try the same thing with Carr...

If you look at denvers system they have highly athletic offensive lineman that are all around 280-300lbs none really over 300lbs. so D'Brickshaw Furgeson makes the most sense according to the scheme denver runs. Obviously a trade down would be in order.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #11
LBblitz
Veteran

right now I am still split on who i would like if we traded down, hawk or D'Brick
Old 01-17-2006   #12
LBblitz
Veteran

IF we do get D'Brick, I would be fine with waiting untill next year to draft the LB from Penn St.
Old 01-17-2006   #13
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer
Default I was pondering...

If Kubiac sees Carr as a functioning NFL QB with potential to grow; as Davis as a very productive NFL runningback that, if healthy, could easily thrive in his system; and Morency as a very suitable sub for Davis, then wouldnt it make more sense to trade out of the top spot? Having a player like Young or Bush on our team is something that dreams are made of for football fans. With that being said I cant remember the last player with that much hype that has actually won a championship. Ledanlian Tomlinson hasnt gotten a ring yet. Same goes for Peyton Manning, Mike Vick, Ricky Williams, Terrel Owens, Randy Moss, Donavan McNabb or Danta Cullpepper. Tom Brady is the only superstar on the offensive side of the ball that I can think of that won a championship. The championship winning superstars on the defensive side of theball seem to stand out to me a lot more.... but maybe that's just me.

The most I can hope for is that solid football people are making the decissions. I've always had faith in this team and even with the rough season no love has been lost for them from me. So if it makes more sence for our team to trade down, as hard as it would be to see, then I say go for it.

Good luck to Vince and Reggie... hello Furguson and many.. many other picks.
Old 01-17-2006   #14
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

Why not instead of replacing a quality QB with a rookie QB, get an elite pass rusher? super mario would create plays on defense in which we wouldn't normally have. Or protect our Qb with an elite LT to create plays on offense which we dont have. Why replace quality players with questionable ones when we could improve our weaknesses? i dont really know, i guess an elite LT or an agressive pass rusher are not exciting enough. the UT homers especially should know that a dominant defense and offensive line are mandatory.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #15
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardKnockTexan
If Kubiac sees Carr as a functioning NFL QB with potential to grow; as Davis as a very productive NFL runningback that, if healthy, could easily thrive in his system; and Morency as a very suitable sub for Davis, then wouldnt it make more sense to trade out of the top spot? Having a player like Young or Bush on our team is something that dreams are made of for football fans. With that being said I cant remember the last player with that much hype that has actually won a championship. Ledanlian Tomlinson hasnt gotten a ring yet. Same goes for Peyton Manning, Mike Vick, Ricky Williams, Terrel Owens, Randy Moss, Donavan McNabb or Danta Cullpepper. Tom Brady is the only superstar on the offensive side of the ball that I can think of that won a championship. The championship winning superstars on the defensive side of theball seem to stand out to me a lot more.... but maybe that's just me.

The most I can hope for is that solid football people are making the decissions. I've always had faith in this team and even with the rough season no love has been lost for them from me. So if it makes more sence for our team to trade down, as hard as it would be to see, then I say go for it.

Good luck to Vince and Reggie... hello Furguson and many.. many other picks.
The problem with this thought is that it assumes if you draft Vince your draft is over, but that's silly. Even if you keep Carr (I would not) you've got the rest of the draft to build the rest of your team. If you trade Carr, you've got maybe 5 picks in the first three rounds, and they're all good picks (low).

Vince is THE FUTURE OF THE FRANCHISE, you don't want to let him slip through your hands.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #16
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

Vince is THE FUTURE OF THE FRANCHISE, you don't want to let him slip through your hands.[/quote]

The last big time QB to come out of a Texas college that I can think of is Andre Ware. I was young but I remember watching some of his hismen winning games. One time Ware and the Coogs finished the game with a score in the 90's. That definentally didnt work out for the Lions.

I love Vince Young. I watched nearly all of Texas's games this year and he rarley dissapointed. The Rose Bowl was a game for the history books and his performance was the Jewel of the best game maybe ever. But what if he flops? We'd be stuck in a hole with no where to go for years. Carr has proven that with time he can get the job done. No he's not consistant but he does have flashes that make me think that he can get the job done in this league. With a functioning NFL QB, which I believe Carr is, then the potential for the team is unlimited.

I wont be disapointed with any way they go untill I see the onfield product. If we get Vince and I see a dramactic improvement in our team then I'll be satsified. Same goes for Reggie and trading down. Whatever produces the most on field results is what I want us to do. I dont care if we have a superstar on our team as long as we're winning football games.
Old 01-17-2006   #17
TMac48
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TMac48

Quote:
DAVID CARR IS NO GOOD. HE SEES THE FIELD THROUGH A PAPER TOWEL ROLL.
I think somebody's been playing a little to much Madden...
Old 01-17-2006   #18
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
also if you look at the denver system they also have a QB they didn't draft high, plummer was falling out of favor in Arizona and Kubiak turned him around, he will try the same thing with Carr....
That's like lightning striking the same place twice. Highly unlikely. You think Kubes can just walk into a town and request your poor, beaten down QB. Then in a season or 2 lead them to a deep playoff run or maybe yet a championship.

Steve Marriucci inhereted a top flight, highly scouted, top 3 draft pick QB and he couldn't get him turned around. And it got him fired, well maybe not just that reason but the team usually goes as the QB goes.

Coughlin came in and got rid of his QB (a former capers' guy) and went out and got his QB. Jumped through hoops to make it happen. Is Eli a higher rated QB than VY? Is leinert this years Rivers.

Crenell had a gun slingin' QB but brought in Dilfer to hold down the fort for a while until the kid from Akron gets the nod. He did get a start or two this season right.

Jack Del Rio got himself a QB rght away. They're a pretty solid team. But their pocket QB has no scramblin' ability and keeps getting hurt as well as their RB (someone who bush may resemble if he's not a bust) keeps getting hurt season after season because he's not a disciplined runner and gets popped on the norm

One of Jeff Fishers' 1st years he took a QB. And let him watch and learn for 2 years. Then when Air McNair got going he was anything but Air but rather noticed for his geat escapability 1st, pocket prowess 2nd.

Was Marvin Lewis' 1st player to draft Palmer? That seems to have worked out pretty good huh?

How long was it after Andy Reid showed up in Philly did he draft McNabb?

I don't think Fox was around when Weinke was taken but it did not take long until he was replaced with Delhomme

Lovie Smith takes Sexy Rexy (i think he was a 1st rd guy)

Mularky takes Losman

Holmgren gets to Seattle and brings in someone he knows

Nolan takes Smith #1 overall

My point is new coaches or old coaches in a new city usually don't want someone elses re-treads.

I just don't want Kubes to end up like Mooch.
Old 01-17-2006   #19
touttail
All Pro

Quote:

Denver always has a great offensive line, year in and year out.

Bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #20
Spoda
Veteran

[ Why dont we address our needs?[/quote]

what do you mean?? we have been drafting lineman in the first couple of rounds every season since everyone in the world knew we needed o-line...haven't we? it was just a bad dream that we have drafted 4 RB's and 4 QB's in 4 years...we are so good our first rounder last year is a backup..we have no needs..casserly has done such a great job amassing talent he was able to keep his job after a 2-14 season

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read