Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2006   #1
bdiddy
Veteran
 
bdiddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 452
Rep Power: 10 bdiddy is ridin' the pine
Default Kubiak/Shanahan's Opinion on Bush

Pure Speculation.

I have a friend in Denver and he is saying this about Bush and Kubiak. Apparently, Denver traded their 2005 first round pick to the Redskins for the Redskins 2006 first rounder. The Denver talk-show guys are saying that Kubiak and Shanahan were in favor of trading both of these number ones (and possibly something more) to the team with the first pick so they could select Bush.

The Denver media is laughing at the notion that Houston fans and media are speculating about taking VY. The make the point that if Denver, who are ready has good RBs, would consider taking Bush how could the Texans not take him?

I do not know how much these sports talk guys no, could be pure opinion just thought I would share with the board.

Additionally, see the following story in the Denver Post a couple of days ago:



http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3397734

All signs point to Bush

Houston: It is difficult to believe reports the Texans are married to the decision to draft Southern California running back Reggie Bush with the No. 1 pick over Texas quarterback Vince Young, a state hero and a Houston native.

But it makes sense. It also makes sense that Bush will be the pick with the pending hiring of Broncos' offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak. All indications point to the Texans hiring Kubiak once Denver's season ends.

Kubiak knows the benefits of having a strong running game. Denver has been a running stalwart in Kubiak's time with the team and Bush is too tempting. Plus, the Texans think a solid quarterback coach such as Kubiak could salvage former overall No. 1 pick David Carr. Taking Young and bypassing on the explosiveness of Bush would not make sense. Kubiak has helped Jake Plummer flourish and he could do the same with Carr, who is only 26.

It is too early for the Texans to make their final decision, but all signals point to Bush over Young.

Last edited by bdiddy; 01-16-2006 at 01:55 PM.
bdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #2
swisher
Old School
 
swisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Atascocita
Age: 39
Posts: 1,615
Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiddy
Pure Speculation.


The Denver media is laughing at the notion that Houston fans and media are speculating about taking VY. The make the point that if Denver, who are ready has good RBs, would consider taking Bush how could the Texans not take him?


All signs point to Bush

Houston: It is difficult to believe reports the Texans are married to the decision to draft Southern California running back Reggie Bush with the No. 1 pick over Texas quarterback Vince Young, a state hero and a Houston native.


It is too early for the Texans to make their final decision, but all signals point to Bush over Young.

But you just said the Denver media was laughing at Houston for even considering Young, then the article says it would be hard to believe that Houston wouldn't consider him...so which is it?
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame
 
texan279's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rosenberg TX
Age: 35
Posts: 5,692
Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiddy
Pure Speculation.

I have a friend in Denver and he is saying this about Bush and Kubiak. Apparently, Denver traded their 2004 first round pick to the Redskins for the Redskins 2006 first rounder. The Denver talk-show guys are saying that Kubiak and Shanahan were in favor of trading both of these number ones (and possibly something more) to the team with the first pick so they could select Bush.

The Denver media is laughing at the notion that Houston fans and media are speculating about taking VY. The make the point that if Denver, who are ready has good RBs, would consider taking Bush how could the Texans not take him?

I do not know how much these sports talk guys no, could be pure opinion just thought I would share with the board.

Additionally, see the following story in the Denver Post a couple of days ago:



http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3397734

All signs point to Bush

Houston: It is difficult to believe reports the Texans are married to the decision to draft Southern California running back Reggie Bush with the No. 1 pick over Texas quarterback Vince Young, a state hero and a Houston native.

But it makes sense. It also makes sense that Bush will be the pick with the pending hiring of Broncos' offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak. All indications point to the Texans hiring Kubiak once Denver's season ends.

Kubiak knows the benefits of having a strong running game. Denver has been a running stalwart in Kubiak's time with the team and Bush is too tempting. Plus, the Texans think a solid quarterback coach such as Kubiak could salvage former overall No. 1 pick David Carr. Taking Young and bypassing on the explosiveness of Bush would not make sense. Kubiak has helped Jake Plummer flourish and he could do the same with Carr, who is only 26.

It is too early for the Texans to make their final decision, but all signals point to Bush over Young.
This is the opinion of a lot of football fans and media guys outside of Texas. It's good to hear the opinion of others who are not from this area on our situation. Nice post.
__________________
Fire It Up, Let the engines roll, It's time to burn it down
texan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond
 
Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 8,033
Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisher
But you just said the Denver media was laughing at Houston for even considering Young, then the article says it would be hard to believe that Houston wouldn't consider him...so which is it?
Both if it's irony.
__________________
Amy glances out the window; her hair, skin, and clothes take on a pronounced reddish tinge from Doppler effect as she drops out of the conversation at relativistic velocity. - Cryptonomicon
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #5
bdiddy
Veteran
 
bdiddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 452
Rep Power: 10 bdiddy is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisher
But you just said the Denver media was laughing at Houston for even considering Young, then the article says it would be hard to believe that Houston wouldn't consider him...so which is it?
Sorry, may be I was not completely clear. The media is not laughing at the Texans, but the Houston media and fans. Not because we are considering VY, this is completely plausible - but because the overwhelming majority (everyone but John Lopez) are in favor of drafting VY over Bush.

Apparently, they had an opinion poll on one of the local news stations and something like 80%+ stated the Texans should take Bush. This was during the bye week when Kubiak to the Texans was a hot topic in denver (at least from what I hear)
bdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,835
Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Well if Kubiak knows what Denver is going to do and we get 2 first rounders out of it, I say trade. Yeah Bush and Young have explosiveness but we can get some quality lineman both o and d in the first round and then use the rest of the draft on other stuff.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #7
LoneStarState
Veteran
 
LoneStarState's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 46
Posts: 480
Rep Power: 11 LoneStarState is a team player
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
Well if Kubiak knows what Denver is going to do and we get 2 first rounders out of it, I say trade. Yeah Bush and Young have explosiveness but we can get some quality lineman both o and d in the first round and then use the rest of the draft on other stuff.
Denver doesn't have 2 first rounds this year. Besides - that would leave Houston with the number 29, 30, 31, or 32 pick. That ain't gonna happen.
__________________
Don't start none, won't be none...
LoneStarState is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2006   #8
Jack Bauer
All Pro
 
Jack Bauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Age: 48
Posts: 721
Rep Power: 10 Jack Bauer is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarState
Denver doesn't have 2 first rounds this year. Besides - that would leave Houston with the number 29, 30, 31, or 32 pick. That ain't gonna happen.
They do have two first round picks as previously stated. They have Washington's pick(24, I think) and their own (could be 30?). I do think these are too low for the first pick in the draft, however.
__________________
The TEAM comes before the individual!
Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #9
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame
 
HoustonFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Age: 36
Posts: 1,180
Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan
Default

Nice to get an out of state perspective. Besides, it's not like the Broncos have sucked over the past decade.

At this point, let's wait for Kubiak to take the job, hire his staff and then go from there.
__________________
Frustrated watching the Texans? Then you definitely need this!!!!!
HoustonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #10
Erratic Assassin
All Pro
 
Erratic Assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 534
Rep Power: 13 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr
They do have two first round picks as previously stated. They have Washington's pick(24, I think) and their own (could be 30?). I do think these are too low for the first pick in the draft, however.
I'd trade 2 first rounders for Reggie Bush. 2 first rounders could go a long way to speeding up our turnaround.
Erratic Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #11
ipaman
noob
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0 ipaman is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiddy
Pure Speculation.

I have a friend in Denver and he is saying this about Bush and Kubiak. Apparently, Denver traded their 2005 first round pick to the Redskins for the Redskins 2006 first rounder. The Denver talk-show guys are saying that Kubiak and Shanahan were in favor of trading both of these number ones (and possibly something more) to the team with the first pick so they could select Bush.

this is crap. denver would never draft a rb that high. they can plug in any rb into their system and the guy will kill. if they did trade both 1's for a high 1st rounder it would not be for a rb.
ipaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #12
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame
 
MorKnolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,210
Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaman
this is crap. denver would never draft a rb that high. they can plug in any rb into their system and the guy will kill. if they did trade both 1's for a high 1st rounder it would not be for a rb.
I tend to agree, if the Broncos can have five different RBs put up 1500 yard seasons in 8 years and were willing to trade Portis off after 3000 yards in his first two seasons in order to get their dominant CB, I don't think they'll give up two picks to get another RB, especially when they already have a very similar RB in Tatum Bell.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 36,392
Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default

There is no way anyone is going to convince me that Denver would consider trading two #1s for Regie Bush or any running back for that matter. not when they get rid of guys like Clinton Portis, Olandis Gary, Ruben Droughns..... Especially when they've got Mike Anderson, Tatum Bell sitting pretty right now.
__________________
thunderkyss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,835
Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

It makes sense when you think of using Bush in the way we plan to and that is by lining him up as a wideout. You have to remember, how Rod Smith is getting older too.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #15
bigTEXan8
All Pro
 
bigTEXan8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The 'No, CA
Age: 31
Posts: 919
Rep Power: 10 bigTEXan8 is a team player
Default ...

Denver would never trade to get Bush. My theory is that they could get a third rounder if the really need one. Anderson, Bell, and even Dayne played fantastic this year. If they get any RB, they might get Calhoun out of, I think it's Wisconson. He'll probably go 2nd or 3rd rounder, however I highly doubt they draft any RB this year. Bush is as good as ours, if we don't trade him away. Won't draft VY.
__________________
The Lord is my refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble.
bigTEXan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #16
bdiddy
Veteran
 
bdiddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 452
Rep Power: 10 bdiddy is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8
Denver would never trade to get Bush. My theory is that they could get a third rounder if the really need one. Anderson, Bell, and even Dayne played fantastic this year. If they get any RB, they might get Calhoun out of, I think it's Wisconson. He'll probably go 2nd or 3rd rounder, however I highly doubt they draft any RB this year. Bush is as good as ours, if we don't trade him away. Won't draft VY.
I know Bush is as good as ours, the point was that Kubiak thought so highly of Bush that he would consider doing this even with the Broncos current RB situation (at least according to Denver talk radio). Imagine how excited he must be that we own the first pick.
bdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #17
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Spring TX
Age: 41
Posts: 1,098
Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiddy
Apparently, they had an opinion poll on one of the local news stations and something like 80%+ stated the Texans should take Bush. This was during the bye week when Kubiak to the Texans was a hot topic in denver (at least from what I hear)
Probably the same 80% (or overwhelming majority) that thought that USC was gonna beat UT.

Bush is all over the airwaves cuz his teammate White gets all the tough yards for him while his QB gets them to their 3rd NC attempt. Bush just runs all over feild between the 20's (except for the most important offensive play of the game , 4th and 1), gets on ESPN all the time and Young does not. They have a formed a formidable opinion on bush, Young is new to them. Most probably think this was the only game he performed like this cuz the ABC network did not have any footage to show while they did have old high school footage on bush!!??

I've got 2 neighbors and their families that are from Denver that are monster football fans who know their stuff(only a few years removed), love the notion that kubes is coming, loves the notion that they may appear in the SB, and all say that Young is the answer cuz they've been exposed to the 4 year crap-a-thon that the Texans and Carr have had going on all this time.

Kubiak can't fix everything.

It's one thing to buy a used Carr with minimal miles, good paint, interior still in good shape, motor runs good, all the paperwork is in place, new brakes maybe, tires in good shape, basically a used Carr that will need a few trips to Jiffy Lube in a worst case scenario.

It's another to get a used Carr that is dinged up, scratched up, maybe a flat or two with the spare missing, leaking oil, cracked windshield, radio stolen, alignment all out of whack, tags out, inspection out, ....you get the point!!!

This isn't Monster Garage, it's the NFL.

Bob needs to get his new adopted son a new car and make the impression that he is a good daddy. Even if Kubes says "no daddy, I want the fix-er-upper". Daddy needs to say "son, I know you want that old beat up nasty old thing but I just want you to be safe. I don't want to see you get stuck in this Houston traffic (mad fans when DCarr fails) and get a whooping from them and then decide to exit, hop on I-10 west and go to your old home. Daddy loves you, tell ya what, I'll get another fix-er-upper that isn't in such bad shape and that can be your 2nd carr"
__________________
Kubiak is no mechanic!
Trade in the Carr and go with a Young-er model!
Big B Texan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #18
bdiddy
Veteran
 
bdiddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 452
Rep Power: 10 bdiddy is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan
Probably the same 80% (or overwhelming majority) that thought that USC was gonna beat UT.

Bush is all over the airwaves cuz his teammate White gets all the tough yards for him while his QB gets them to their 3rd NC attempt. Bush just runs all over feild between the 20's (except for the most important offensive play of the game , 4th and 1), gets on ESPN all the time and Young does not. They have a formed a formidable opinion on bush, Young is new to them. Most probably think this was the only game he performed like this cuz the ABC network did not have any footage to show while they did have old high school footage on bush!!??

I've got 2 neighbors and their families that are from Denver that are monster football fans who know their stuff(only a few years removed), love the notion that kubes is coming, loves the notion that they may appear in the SB, and all say that Young is the answer cuz they've been exposed to the 4 year crap-a-thon that the Texans and Carr have had going on all this time.

Kubiak can't fix everything.

It's one thing to buy a used Carr with minimal miles, good paint, interior still in good shape, motor runs good, all the paperwork is in place, new brakes maybe, tires in good shape, basically a used Carr that will need a few trips to Jiffy Lube in a worst case scenario.

It's another to get a used Carr that is dinged up, scratched up, maybe a flat or two with the spare missing, leaking oil, cracked windshield, radio stolen, alignment all out of whack, tags out, inspection out, ....you get the point!!!

This isn't Monster Garage, it's the NFL.

Bob needs to get his new adopted son a new car and make the impression that he is a good daddy. Even if Kubes says "no daddy, I want the fix-er-upper". Daddy needs to say "son, I know you want that old beat up nasty old thing but I just want you to be safe. I don't want to see you get stuck in this Houston traffic (mad fans when DCarr fails) and get a whooping from them and then decide to exit, hop on I-10 west and go to your old home. Daddy loves you, tell ya what, I'll get another fix-er-upper that isn't in such bad shape and that can be your 2nd carr"
It sounds like you may be an angry Longhorn fan. I am a Longhorn and I love VY, but Bush will make our team better than VY. VY is not better than Bush and Carr combined.

Kubiak is on record of being a big fan of Carr. He is much better at evaluating talent that you, your Denver friends, or myself. I am not certain that we will draft Bush, but I am certain that Kubiak likes Carr and will give him every chance to succeed.
bdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,557
Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

last I checked Shanahan was the GM his track record suggests they don't use first rd picks on RB's- see Clinton Portis & when he got expensive they shipped him east for Champ (who can still read defenses but looks like he is losing his legs- see Aaron Glenn).
  • 1999- Olandis Gary 4th rd.
  • 2002- Clinton Portis 2nd rd.
  • 2003- Quentin Griffen 4th rd.
  • 2004- Tatum Bell 2nd rd.
  • 2005- Maruice Clarett 3rd rd.

Not to mention the 1st overall pick is worth a whole lot more than the 22nd & 32nd pick. My guess is they would draft Vince Young over Bush if given the opportunity
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #20
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Spring TX
Age: 41
Posts: 1,098
Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
last I checked Shanahan was the GM his track record suggests they don't use first rd picks on RB's- see Clinton Portis & when he got expensive they shipped him east for Champ (who can still read defenses but looks like he is losing his legs- see Aaron Glenn).
  • 1999- Olandis Gary 4th rd.
  • 2002- Clinton Portis 2nd rd.
  • 2003- Quentin Griffen 4th rd.
  • 2004- Tatum Bell 2nd rd.
  • 2005- Maruice Clarett 3rd rd.

Not to mention the 1st overall pick is worth a whole lot more than the 22nd & 32nd pick. My guess is they would draft Vince Young over Bush if given the opportunity
hat if we trade dwn to #3 or #4 and VY is still there, do we take him then
__________________
Kubiak is no mechanic!
Trade in the Carr and go with a Young-er model!
Big B Texan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger