Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-16-2006   #1
phan1
All Pro

Default Any way we can keep Wells?

Well, if we do draft Bush (which is I think the most likely scenario right now IMO), I'd hate to see Wells leave. He's been really great for us and it would be nice to keep him. We could move him to fullback can't we?
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Wells, but I'd let him go before I'd give up Moran Norris.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

We can drop Hollings. Wells is depth at both HB and FB..as well as a big special teams contributor.. if we can keep him, we will. Id say we would even keep him over Morency if we had to make the decision. Luckily we dont.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #4
Sportsfan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
I like Wells, but I'd let him go before I'd give up Moran Norris.
Word.
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #5
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Wells, he does a great job backing up DD and is a really good special teams player.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #6
Frills
Veteran

If they weren't ignorant and extended DD last offseason, I'd keep Wells and cut DD.

Kinda odd how CC said that they waited on Carr's extension because there was no rush on it (on 610 around week 10-11), yet they had DD under contract and extended him.

Wells, Norris and Morency are the only backs we have that should be in the NFL.
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #7
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Unless Wells gets a very good offer from another team I think he'll be back. His work ethic and special teams play has gained the respect of teammates and even the old coaches. The new coaches should be able to see his contributions as well.
Old 01-16-2006   #8
Dime
Hall of Fame

Wells is a very good player to me. He needs to be resigned if possible. Should cost much.
Old 01-16-2006   #9
Frills
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime
Wells is a very good player to me. He needs to be resigned if possible. Shouldn't cost much.

FYP
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #10
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I like players who show that they can get better. I like players who can develop other facets of the game to make themselves more valuable to the team. He counted 662k against the cap last year. I think a 10-15% raise is the right thing to do in the event we make it work from a cap perspective. Hollings will count 699k against the cap in 2006, this will be what Wells' team should be worried about. Norris in my opinion is going no where.
Old 01-16-2006   #11
bdiddy
Veteran

Default Wells Will be Back as an FB

Wells will be back and Kubiak will move him to fullback. Wells does not like this because he wants to make TB money. I believe the Texans will pay him low level TB money and move him to FB. Kubiak's offense utilizes the FB in the run and pass very well, once Wells gets acquainted with the offense I think he will like it because he will have more opportunities to contribute than he had last season.
bdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #12
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
We can drop Hollings. Wells is depth at both HB and FB..as well as a big special teams contributor.. if we can keep him, we will. Id say we would even keep him over Morency if we had to make the decision. Luckily we dont.
Agreed, I'd keep Davis, Wells, Morency, and Norris and drop Hollings.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #13
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Wells is cheap right now and would be a cheap re-sign, assuming he is not pursued too much in the FA (since I believe he is going to be a FA this year).

We have a lot of RBs, but he is a hard worker and I wouldn't mind him coming back.
Old 01-16-2006   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think all the things we like about Wells will get him signed somewhere else. Last year his market wasn't good but considering all he does now, and how serviceable he's been he should catch on somewhere else.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #15
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If they weren't ignorant and extended DD last offseason, I'd keep Wells and cut DD.

Kinda odd how CC said that they waited on Carr's extension because there was no rush on it (on 610 around week 10-11), yet they had DD under contract and extended him.

I'm a hell bent 100% Texan till I die...
Chance_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #16
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

this is either the funniest sarcastic joke on the board, or the most ignorant one I have read this year.

Wells isn't good enough to hold DD's jock strap. DD was signed because he is well worth the money and as a 4th round pick was well underpaid for a starting RB. Wells lost the starting job and has been steadily sinking into the abyss of non-contributor since. I laugh at the 'Wells is a great special team player also'. Having watching him in person he is neither great nor even above average on special teams.

Wells is a FA now and you don't see many teams, including the Texans, rushing to sign him for a reason, IMHO. That would be because he is quite simply average to below average, depending on what position you put him at.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #17
bdiddy
Veteran

Default Comparison

DD was a 4th round pick. I think Wells is a good back who does not have the shiftiness of DD. However, Wells is almost always health, whereas, DD will generally miss at least 4 games a year.
bdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #18
cadahnic
All Pro

Look for Wells to be resigned to a 3-4 year deal worth about 2.5-3.5M all told. That is including signing bonuses. With this type of deal we can allocate so that his cap hit is not much more than what it is now and he will still be making more cash. He will sign it to stay here and no one will just open up the checkbook for him at RB.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #19
whiskeyrbl

Default Wells or Morris

You all know we are going to take Bush #1,so that means we will probably shop DD,expect Hollings to be cut or be put on practice Squad,and as far as Wells or Norris I think it will come down to who is the best blocker and who can pick up the BLITZ!!!What do ya"ll think of picking up TO for a 3rd RD pick,maybe he learned his lesson and can be a positive force.
Old 01-16-2006   #20
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i don't know if wells would even want to re-sign with us...if we really are pursueing reggie bush like the papers say what reason is there for him to re-sign with us when teams like the packers, saints, cards, raiders, 49ers, steelers, and eagles will all be in the market for a strong power back with some decent speed

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read