Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-15-2006   #1
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bob McNair and Pete Carroll Dealing Behind the Scenes?

Chris Mortensen just reported on "Sunday NFL Countdown" that USC sources are claiming that Bob McNair had a private meeting with Pete Carroll, and that in order for Carroll to give his blessing to Bush to leave early, McNair had to give Carroll his assurance that Bush would be selected with the number 1 overall pick and play for Houston. Mortensen called this move a "very delicate PR problem".
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006   #2
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride
Chris Mortensen just reported on Sunday NFL Countdown that USC sources are claiming that Bob McNair had a private meeting with USC head coach Pete Carroll, and that in order for Carroll to give his blessing to Bush to leave early, McNair had to give Carroll his assurance that Bush would be selected with the number 1 overall pick and play for Houston. Mortensen called this move a "very delicate PR problem"
If that's true...wow. Caroll must be some sort of father figure to Bush to need a blessing. So much for the o-line. But I am not going to complain about getting Bush. Rare talent where someone can do so much.
Old 01-15-2006   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 107142 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

If true, I better get some Pepto.

Nothing against Bush, but he isn't going to help us hold a Seattle or Indy to under 40 points... that would mean we would draft RB and then OL (most likely in the 1st 2 rounds) when we could try to go OL and Defense (our RB's are OK maybe not gamebreakers but OK)

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006   #4
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

A private meeting where? Over the phone?

I can't imagine that with the current media coverage during the coaching interviews, that McNair and Carroll could have met secretly.

This definitely would explain Reggie's hesitation last week, though.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I can't see how a running back is going to be the answer to all our problems. Regardless who he is, or what special talent he may possess. And so, I find it hard to believe a team owner would put himself into such a position, to aqquire one. True enough, with out Bush, or Young, this draft is pretty dull..... it would have been easier for Houston to do the right thing, without such temptation.
Old 01-15-2006   #6
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Mortensen seems shaky on this one. Do you think Pete Carroll has enough clout to make McNair make a guarantee like that? There's a lot that can happen between now and the draft. I doubt the owner of an NFL team is gonna take orders from a failed NFL coach and pin himself down before he's officially hired a coach.

Sure, Bush wants to go #1, and probably doesn't want to go to NO, but they seem set on a QB, anyway. And if it's about money, the obvious decision would be to leave if you are a top 5 pick. Next year's presumptive #1 is Brady Quinn, and Peterson is eligible too. Bush has no guarantee of being next year's #1. Coming out for Bush is a no-brainer. What's the incentive for McNair to make a decision in January? To please Pat Carroll? To get a kid who's been interviewing agents for a month to come out? I don't buy it. That doesn't mean we won't take Reggie Bush though.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006   #7
Sco-tai
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
I can't see how a running back is going to be the answer to all our problems...True enough, with out Bush, or Young, this draft is pretty dull...
1. NO SINGLE player is "the answer". But both Bush & Young are a great starting point. Even if you're of the same opinion as me (that DD is a top-10 RB in the NFL)...with Bush's versatility, you gotta like the pick. And I'd even like the VY pick. Like I said...both are great individual players and arguements can be made for picking either. I'm still undecided. Waiting for individual work-outs and coaching decisions.

2. This is anything BUT a dull draft in my opinion and MOST writers/reporters/draft analysts. Last year's was pretty boring except for the top few RB's & WR's. This year is FAR deeper. Especially on O-Line, where we all agree we need help.

Either way..I'm just glad we won..er...lost the BUSH-BOWL so we could at least have this discussion. We hold the cards and I'm much happier that it was this year's draft...and not last years.

GO TEXANS!
Sco-tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2006   #8
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

The more I chew on this, the less it makes sense to me. I still think the Texans will end up picking Reggie, but I just can't imagine that this happened.
Old 01-15-2006   #9
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

I will be very disappointed if our owner is making secret deals behind the scenes. Kubiak, or whoever is going to be our coach, should have an opportunity to pick his new player.

This has rat written all over it.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006   #10
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 36225 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Agree - calling BS on this one. McNair asking for Caroll's blessing? What is this - a Ditka-made marriage? If the athelete wants to declare, he's going to.

My thought was Reggie was thinking his only "competition" was going to be Leinhart in the draft so he'd make the masses wonder to the very end if he was going to declare. Then Young joined the picture after his performance, clogging the clarity of the draft and Bush was probably looking at where he would fall in next year's lineup (and thinking of Leinhart's issue of staying in one more time) and figured he'd better get while the getting's good.

... my opinion anyway.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006   #11
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

The speculation (mainly Richard Justice's blog and Skip Bayless' newest article) seems to point to Charley Casserly as Mort's source. It's possible, but this story does seem kinda farfetched.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006   #12
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Justice does indicate that Mort is listening to the wrong guy. This one is just patently absurd. The theory behind the first Mort leak, that somebody wanted to save the Texans from this agonizing decision and keep Young in college kinda makes sense. I say kinda, because if you own the #1 pick, you want the most talent possible in that high-draft pool, you don't want to keep guys from coming out.
Old 01-15-2006   #13
Tulip
Hall of Fame

This "information" is coming from USC, not the Texans. I'm not sure anymore if the problem is with Mort's sources, or with Mort himself. This is a heavy charge to lay at McNair's feet, and if it were true and could be proven, this team would be in all kinds of trouble with the NFL.

I'm not sure what Mort is trying to accomplish with all of this.
Old 01-15-2006   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

At this time of year you should only believe that you should not believe anything you read when it comes to the draft "insider info". The posturing is rampant and mind games are the norm.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006   #15
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

This is quite an incredible story, or should I say alleged story with all kinds of
issues at varying levels if true. One would be this: is there a quid pro quo in the mix, in other words what does Carrol get from McNair for his (Carrol's )
blessing of Bush leaving early.
And how does Mortenson get hold of this info - he needs to be with the CIA
unearthing info that affects Nat Security if he can somehow come up with this deal.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006   #16
Dr. Toro
All Pro

The story is up on ESPN.com. Evidently its USC sources.
Old 01-15-2006   #17
Mario Williams
Rookie

Updated: Jan. 15, 2006, 12:48 PM ET
Bush turned pro after assurance of No. 1 pickESPN.com news services

Reggie Bush has long been assumed the top pick in the NFL draft, but after Vince Young's performance in the Rose Bowl, the Trojans wanted some assurance before the Heisman Trophy winner agreed to forgo his senior season.

USC sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that coach Pete Carroll gave his blessing for Bush to turn pro only after being assured by Texans owner Bob McNair that the running back would be the No. 1 pick in the draft.

Young, a Texas native, led his Longhorns to a victory over the favored Trojans in the national championship and ignited a public frenzy demanding Houston select the quarterback instead of Bush.

However, the Texans appear to be sticking with their initial plan of drafting the running back -- a preference of the top candidate to become their head coach.

A Broncos source told Mortensen that Gary Kubiak, Denver's offensive coordinator and the favorite for the Texans' head coaching post, believes current Houston quarterback David Carr can flourish with a new offense headlined by Bush and wide receiver Andre Johnson.

Kubiak, a Houston native, is widely considered the likely successor to Dom Capers, who was fired as Texans coach on Jan. 2, one day after finishing a 2-14 season with a loss at San Francisco.

However, under NFL tampering rules, the Texans cannot comment about or finalize any moves involving Kubiak until the Broncos' season is over. Denver advanced to the AFC Championship Game with a 27-13 win over the New England Patriots on Saturday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=2293458
Old 01-15-2006   #18
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=2293458

Just read the ESPN article. If this is true, then it seems to show that being picked number 1 is a really big deal to Reggie Bush.

Just speculating, but this might be indicative of a "me first" attitude. I know it's too early to say, but it's something to keep an eye on.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006   #19
Mario Williams
Rookie

It would be a big deal to anyone if it means millions of dollars.
Old 01-15-2006   #20
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 107142 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Bush may be picked No. 1, but it doesn't necessarily mean we keep him.

I say that because of all the smoke screens that are going on right now.. Who knows maybe this happened and we are picking him No.1 (which RB is not our priority) or we may be saying that so a team that doesn't need a RB but wants to jump ahead of Tennessee and N.O. to get one of the Qb's will overpay for the #1 selection.. who knows

Maybe I just am starting to hate athe idea that when it is goalline situation or 3rd and short ..he will be sitting on the bench. And we all know the Texans have a problem picking up short yardage unless we QB sneak it.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read