Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-14-2006   #1
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Another Denver Philosophy

I think many players are looking forward to having Kubiak and the Denver system here. Not only is he a successful coach - and Kubiak's and Reeves' Super Bowl rings do influence the players positively - but there is another reason.

The Texans have been known for their very tough coaches sessions and training camps. The coaches thought the full contact two-a-days in the Texas heat during training camp made the team tough. The players had other ideas though - they thought it wore them down. The players were backed up on this by the strength coach - he thought our training camps were detrimental to the team's conditioning and therefore playing abilities.

Denver does training camp much differently - they have many training sessions where it's helmet only and even "Hat Days" where they can wear baseball caps instead of helmets. They do much less full contact work and more learning of the nuances of the system and how to play together. This is something that always seemed lacking to me in the Texans this year. It seems like there was always one player or another who wasn't quite in sync.

With a more reasonable training camp, the players end up starting the season much fresher - and healthier. I've heard that they continue this throughout the season; Denver has more workouts during the week in shells rather than full pads. In the best of all worlds maybe this will help veterans such as Weigert and Walker stay on the field more through less wear and tear. It should also result in a team that has more energy and plays better together. This could have a great impact on our o-line and defensive pass protection among others.

One more reason to look forward to Kubiak and next season.
Old 01-14-2006   #2
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

agreed
Most Improved- Juwan Howard
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006   #3
Jack Bauer
All Pro

I understand your point. I don't know that I have heard the players complaining about this, but I will take your word for it. I don't think this is why we got out of the box so slow at the beginning of the year. I can see this being a factor at the end of the year. FYI, for the two-a-days during TC, the team practiced once outside and the other session was in the training bubble.
Old 01-14-2006   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr
I understand your point. I don't know that I have heard the players complaining about this, but I will take your word for it. I don't think this is why we got out of the box so slow at the beginning of the year. I can see this being a factor at the end of the year. FYI, for the two-a-days during TC, the team practiced once outside and the other session was in the training bubble.
In my opinion, I think it at least affected o-line play at the beginning of the year. I don't think Riley had enough time learning the system to be comfortable in his assignments in relation to what other players were doing during pass blocking. This, in addition to his physical limitations, resulted in his poor play.

At the time, I thought that the "wearing down" factor did affect us toward the end of last year. However, I now also think Pendry's influence in the coaching also contributed to our second half slide.
Old 01-14-2006   #5
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting point. I hadn't heard that.

And so much for being better in the heat helping us with Pittsburgh. (Ayyyy! I still get flashbacks!!!!)

And maybe Joppru gets out of camp this year in one piece? I feel bad for him.

Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006   #6
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
And maybe Joppru gets out of camp this year in one piece? I feel bad for him.
You and me both. If the kid didn't have bad luck, he wouldn't have any luck at all.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006   #7
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

I think a lot of this has to do with the evolution of the game. There is so much money, and competition for the positions to earn that money, that the players treat the off-season differently than in "the old days".

The modern day player typically comes to camp in game shape or close to it. They work hard on their conditioning during the off-season. This is a generalization so I'm sure that exceptions could be pointed out, but I think my point is valid.

I think the players that do come in after working hard during the off-season should reap the benefits by having more time to learn the system while the others literally "work their butts off".
Old 03-23-2006   #8
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
I think many players are looking forward to having Kubiak and the Denver system here. Not only is he a successful coach - and Kubiak's and Reeves' Super Bowl rings do influence the players positively - but there is another reason.

The Texans have been known for their very tough coaches sessions and training camps. The coaches thought the full contact two-a-days in the Texas heat during training camp made the team tough. The players had other ideas though - they thought it wore them down. The players were backed up on this by the strength coach - he thought our training camps were detrimental to the team's conditioning and therefore playing abilities.

Denver does training camp much differently - they have many training sessions where it's helmet only and even "Hat Days" where they can wear baseball caps instead of helmets. They do much less full contact work and more learning of the nuances of the system and how to play together. This is something that always seemed lacking to me in the Texans this year. It seems like there was always one player or another who wasn't quite in sync.

With a more reasonable training camp, the players end up starting the season much fresher - and healthier. I've heard that they continue this throughout the season; Denver has more workouts during the week in shells rather than full pads. In the best of all worlds maybe this will help veterans such as Weigert and Walker stay on the field more through less wear and tear. It should also result in a team that has more energy and plays better together. This could have a great impact on our o-line and defensive pass protection among others.

I always suspected this was one of the reasons the Texans suffered so many injuries during training camp. Overworking your players during camp is just plain STUPID. Thank God Capers is gone.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #9
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Not only is he a successful coach - and Kubiak's and Reeves' Super Bowl rings do influence the players positively
It was Kubes and Shanny, not Kubes and Reeves.
Old 03-23-2006   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan
Point taken, but Reeves got one as a player (before our current players were born). I think the original post was pre-Shanahan.
Old 03-23-2006   #11
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan
i think he was talking about the rings reeves had before he came to the broncos.
Old 03-23-2006   #12
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

Hey, anything to get these players moving in the right direction. Kubiak will bring a breath of fresh air into the team, get them motivated, and instill a winning attitude instead of "trying not to lose" attitude. I'm not bothered by FA like some posters have expressed, but Kubiak to me if going to be a stud. Next big coach...JM
Old 03-23-2006   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Good points, Runner.

I think it is a different approach, one where teamwork and being on the same page is more important than conditioning. You see walkthroughs in many different group activities, and it stresses the mental aspect over the physical. I the old regime had a lot of old school mentality about them, and it is refreshing to see Kubiak's approach, as it's more cerebral.
Old 03-23-2006   #14
Sportsfan
All Pro

Quote:
In the best of all worlds maybe this will help veterans such as Weigert and Walker stay on the field more through less wear and tear.
Just thought i'd point out to you, Walker is gone. Good post though. I agree.
I'm looking forward to what Kubiak brings.
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #15
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

This is a pretty good work ethic if you asked me. I mean with the full pad stuff and all alot of people were too exhausted to completely focus on everything thats going on. With relaxed days it gives you more of a free and open mind.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
Good points, Runner.

I think it is a different approach, one where teamwork and being on the same page is more important than conditioning. You see walkthroughs in many different group activities, and it stresses the mental aspect over the physical. I the old regime had a lot of old school mentality about them, and it is refreshing to see Kubiak's approach, as it's more cerebral.
Yes, it will be nice to see areas like the o-line and the secondary act in unison rather than as a conglomeration of mis-matched parts.

I think the conditioning will be there given the nature of the modern athlete. If not, I'm hoping the coaches hold the players accountable in playing time, not meaningless $500 fines or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan
Just thought i'd point out to you, Walker is gone. Good post though. I agree.
I'm looking forward to what Kubiak brings.
The original post was January 14th, it is too old for me to edit to the current status.

Thanks for the "good post". There are so many things that are more or less behind the scenes that can change for the better it boggles the mind.
Old 03-23-2006   #17
DoCRoN
Veteran

Section: 608!!
Rep Power: 1328 DoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan
Just thought i'd point out to you, Walker is gone.
The original post was back in January, so we still had him at the time... just FYI
Old 03-23-2006   #18
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty steve
i think he was talking about the rings reeves had before he came to the broncos.
Oh, OK. Now I get it.
Old 03-23-2006   #19
Sportsfan
All Pro

Quote:
Yes, it will be nice to see areas like the o-line and the secondary act in unison rather than as a conglomeration of mis-matched parts.

I think the conditioning will be there given the nature of the modern athlete. If not, I'm hoping the coaches hold the players accountable in playing time, not meaningless $500 fines or whatever.

The original post was January 14th, it is too old for me to edit to the current status.

Thanks for the "good post". There are so many things that are more or less behind the scenes that can change for the better it boggles the mind.
Haha, oops, sorry didn't even look at the date. *runs and hides like a school boy in trouble*
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #20
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:

I have been posting on the conditioning aspect for some time, but my concern has also been over doing it in the weight room. The type of injuries BJ suffered could have been the result of over doing it there. Glenn was another one who was having problems, but once he left the Texans I believe he was injury free. I think the coaching staff has to look at both areas very carefully. There may be more than one source of the problem.

I have often wondered if Carr was over doing it in the weight room. This might be a reason for some his throwing problems. I know all players like to be strong and buff, but that does not necessarily yield the best musscle development for what you are trying to do in the game of football.

We had a basketball program at Fresno State that had been having a lot of injury problems until Ron Adams showed up as an assistant coach. He introduced stretching, and they did a lot of it, before every playing or practicing. We had very few injuries during his era with Boyd Grant at Fresno State. I became a firm advocate of that process.

Like what you said just wanted to add some additional thoughts on this subject. 4th Qtr exhaustion could have been the reason we were seeing so many problems there. I would also wonder what our pregame warmups behind the scenes were like.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read