Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-14-2006   #1
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Quick Football Question

What is the difference between a half back, tail back, and a running back? I have heard all three seeming to be used interchangably and wanted to know what the differences were.
Thanks.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006   #2
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

I've wondered if there was really a difference myself.

I just looked it up, and apparently, the name "tailback" came from the triple I formation, where the halfback was lined up behind the fullback and the tailback was lined up behind the halfback. Hence, the tailback is the "tail" of the formation.

It seems to me that pro football just uses the generic "running back", but colleges still use the term "tailback".
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006   #3
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip
I've wondered if there was really a difference myself.

I just looked it up, and apparently, the name "tailback" came from the triple I formation, where the halfback was lined up behind the fullback and the tailback was lined up behind the halfback. Hence, the tailback is the "tail" of the formation.

It seems to me that pro football just uses the generic "running back", but colleges still use the term "tailback".
Thank you much, that was very helpful.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006   #4
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Now - the next important question:

Is it a "shovel pass", a "shuffle pass", or a "shuttle pass"?

Old 01-14-2006   #5
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip
Now - the next important question:

Is it a "shovel pass", a "shuffle pass", or a "shuttle pass"?

Shovel pass.
Old 01-14-2006   #6
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Shovel pass.
I call it the shovel pass too.

And I missed one - it's also called the "Utah pass".
Old 01-14-2006   #7
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 77974 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst
What is the difference between a half back, tail back, and a running back? I have heard all three seeming to be used interchangably and wanted to know what the differences were.
Thanks.

I always thought that the names of the positions originated as literal terms.
ie... the quarterback was 1/4 back from the center or line of scrimmage, the halfback was 1/2 way, and the fullback was the one farthest from the line.
I assumed that it just evolved along the way. Then Running back was just a generic term. Not sure about the origins of tailback, but based on my other assumptions I would think it is another way to say the 'back' who is farthest from the line... at the tail...?
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2006   #8
Peldon
All Pro

Rep Power: 33 Peldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respected

In the strictest sense, the tailback is the back at the rear, or "tail-end", of the "I" formation, in which at least two of the three other backs line up directly under the quarterback, who is under center.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tailback
Peldon is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read